PDA

View Full Version : Dead pixel already!

Pcenginefx
07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't believe this - I bought my NEX-FS100 on the 14th of last month, shot about 10 hours of video on it and I have a HUGE dead pixel that popped up after shooting a video last night. Below is a link to the full-frame screen cap of where the dead pixel is located (taken with the lens cap on and gain set to 18dB.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/5919298405_c6b6452255_o.jpg

Before I go to Sony and demand my camera to be fixed, is there any way to fix this myself? (I doubt it, but want to make sure).

DM_rider
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
That's a stuck pixel. Someone else on here had the same issue, can't remember who though.

Stephen Mick
07-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Try black balancing the camera to see if that helps.

Pcenginefx
07-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the quick reply - I performed a black balance and it appears that the stuck red pixel is now fixed. I wasn't looking forward to returning the camera - glad I don't have to now.

Illya Friedman
07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
If you don't mind a couple questions, I'm taking an informal survey of people with newish cameras and pixel problems.

Do you know if your camera is grey market?
Did you purchased your camera and have it shipped to you by air or ground?
Have you ever taken the camera on an airplane?
Have you ever allowed the camera to run through an X-Ray device?

Thanks!

AFJJ
07-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Honestly at 18db gain you should be seeing more dead pixels then just one, even if the camera is new.

Dead pixels can come from a huge number of sources, solar flares, atmospheric radiation, lasers, radiated heat bodies, microwaves, x-rays and diodes to name a few, I doubt a camera manufacturer would replace any sensor because someone had a single dead pixel.

jdv
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Sure - but there should also be a way to mask them. I owned a first gen JVC gyu100, and those suckers loved to have pixels die. So much so, that the once "secret" menu became an announcement. But that said, it did have the ability to mask them.

So that's the $64,000 question - can dead pixels (which as you rightly point out are going to happen to every camera at some point) be masked and can the user (us) do it themselves without having to ship it to a service center?

Pcenginefx
07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
If you don't mind a couple questions, I'm taking an informal survey of people with newish cameras and pixel problems.

Do you know if your camera is grey market?
Did you purchased your camera and have it shipped to you by air or ground?
Have you ever taken the camera on an airplane?
Have you ever allowed the camera to run through an X-Ray device?

Thanks!

Not grey market
I purchased my camera, and had it shipped 2nd day Air UPS
I have not taken the camera on an airplane (yet)
I have not had the camera run through an X-Ray device

Pcenginefx
07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Honestly at 18db gain you should be seeing more dead pixels then just one, even if the camera is new.

Dead pixels can come from a huge number of sources, solar flares, atmospheric radiation, lasers, radiated heat bodies, microwaves, x-rays and diodes to name a few, I doubt a camera manufacturer would replace any sensor because someone had a single dead pixel.

With my Canon 5D Mark II, I had 1 big dead pixel that was visible on-camera. I returned it to Canon to be fixed (mind you this was an out of warranty fix) and they fixed it. I don't know about you, but I can't have ONE single dead pixel on my image, otherwise what's the point? I'll have to fix the problem EVERY time in post which is totally unacceptable, and when you are delivering 1080p footage, every pixel counts.

Crafters of Light
07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Working with broadcast cameras (in a past life), integrating them into various projects, we learned that some of them had a system where if you did multiple black balances in rapid succession, it put the camera in a sort of auto cal mode that would fix dead/hot pixels. You knew you got there because that BB took considerably longer than the others, and the pixel was "fixed".
These were the bigger studio/shoulder mounted ones ($10k+) so I don't know if they would have translated the process to the smaller siblings we use but it would be something to try.

Púlsar
07-14-2011, 11:17 AM
uff i have two dead pixels now, when i perform the black balance one of these dissapear, but when i perform again the bb it's there again, and the other dead pixel appear when the other dissapear. I have to send my camera to sony, i have to wait for an answer. If anynone have the same problem of the dead pixel who dissapear when perform the black balance do it again and check. The other dead pixel appear when i activate the gain to -9 to -18db and with a slow shutter it's claearly noticable.

ectobuilder
07-16-2011, 01:56 AM
What was your repair cost?

Púlsar
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
i don't know yet, but the camera it's under warranty