PDA

View Full Version : Industry Standard Storyboard Software

poppe
07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I need some help. What is the "Industry Standard" of storyboard software? Frame Forge? I have to do research on a storyboard program and I want to do it over the AVID/FCP of storyboard software.

Any help would be greatly useful.

Binary77
07-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Hiya poppe,

I'm not too sure of what the 'industry standard' is software wise - because i work independently, but i know of a few that Final Draft (the industry standard script writing program) works with natively.

Have a google for a program called Storyboard Artist by Powerproduction software, or Storyboard Pro by Toon Boom. In fact, just check out the Final Draft website, as it'll give you a general list of other industry-grade programs that you can import/export your scripts with, which includes a few storyboarding programs.

I don't personally use Final Draft myself though - i use an all-in-one program called Celtx, which has storyboard support built in, but i'm guessing that you're looking for a more comprehensive program that's designed specifically to help create the storyboard images in the first place.

raffnix
07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey poppe

First of all, I won't be able to tell you any "industry standards" since I am not part of the industry (i.e. I don't do this for a living). However, a couple of years ago I had a look at different storyboard software solutions (Antics, Moviestorm, FrameForge, Celtx, I even bought a game, sth like "Make your own movie" which in a way did the job). For me, FrameForge nailed it. My frame output per hour was the highest and the generated storyboard gave me all the information that I needed. You know, all that technical stuff like focal length, tripod height, position of lights... And that's what FrameForge is great at. We saved a lot of time since all these technical details were pre-planned and everyone on set was on the same page.

You won't find any of this information in a classic (as in "industry standard") storyboard. It might be that on location you are not even able to shoot it that way cause you would need to place the camera in a wall. Things like that. From my understanding, these storyboards rather help to sell/communicate the look and feel of a scene. You can pitch your movie with those drawings and go and talk to your art department. Don't try this with any storyboarding software. It just serves another purpose.

From my knowledge, programs like FrameForge or MovieStorm are rarely used for big budget productions (I don't see any references on their website). Nevertheless, from my experience especially FrameForge is an extremely valuable tool for preproduction. Especially if you're on a tight schedule and don't have time to experiment on set.

Ok, probably nothing of this actually answers your question, but what the hell :)
Cheers!

VMT
07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Celtx, open source & free, does most of what the expensive apps do.

Chris Adler
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Celtx is an okay screenwriting app but it's not even remotely close in its feature set to doing what the "other" apps do when you consider scheduling or budgeting. The reporting section is weak and it has no notification capabilities.

jackzz
07-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Celtx is an okay screenwriting app but it's not even remotely close in its feature set to doing what the "other" apps do when you consider scheduling or budgeting. The reporting section is weak and it has no notification capabilities.

Kinda the same story with the iphone and ipad app, lacking pretty bad. I found the best one to be Scripts Pro which can import the celtx files and final draft fdx (dont think it does the older fdr).

TonyT
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Just create frames in photoshop..Outlined rectangles. I'm in the industry and that's what I do, 4 frames per page and I'm good to go.

tired
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
a guy I work with regularly just sketches freehand (curse his talented hide!) but I can't draw for nuts - so it's FRAMEFORGE all the way for me. it's easy to use and very powerful. the thing I find most interesting is that using frameforge and animating sequences I can see mistakes, shots that don't work as well as they did in my head. I neither know nor care if it's the industry standard, it works for me.

Binary77
09-06-2011, 07:25 AM
I've recently found out from reading The DV Rebel's Guide that Google Sketchup Pro is a great tool for creating storyboards, which started life as architectural pre-viz program, but now has filmmaking functions built into it.

Word is that it often gets used on big budget productions. Give it a look.