PDA

View Full Version : FS100 Firmware wish list

Eimulis
07-08-2011, 07:30 AM
We should create a wishlist for feature FS100 firmware. Some poll maybe.
I personally want:

24fps, 60fps for PAL cameras

Waveform

bigger resolution/lower fps in smooth slow mode.
I shot some fast movements in this mode and it looks crazy! There's 200 frames per second! but resolution is no more than 640x360. If there would be 800x450 and 100fps I could use it for broadcast. This would be amazing!

stevedocmaker
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure Sony updates their firmware with system improvements. I've been told that Panasonic won't do it, and that it's not even possible because of the way they write their code. Obviously the F3 has this functionality, but they are charging and arm-and-a-leg for the extra features.

That said, if there is a firmware update, I vote for additional frame rates (36, 48), and extending the range of the black gamma level beyond -7 to +7, especially at the plus end.

Postmaster
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
10 bit!

Richard Allen Crook
07-08-2011, 10:25 AM
10 bit!

Amen! I don't see it being that unfeasible for Sony to offer 10bit HDMI out...for a price. I don't know the behind-the-scenes story of what happened at Sony to offer the upgrade for the F3...perhaps enough voices? I would shell out an additional 3 grand for 10 bit LOG for sure! Wonder if it's even possible given the FS100's hardware?

alaskacameradude
07-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Amen! I don't see it being that unfeasible for Sony to offer 10bit HDMI out...for a price. I don't know the behind-the-scenes story of what happened at Sony to offer the upgrade for the F3...perhaps enough voices? I would shell out an additional 3 grand for 10 bit LOG for sure! Wonder if it's even possible given the FS100's hardware?

Probably not possible, but like you, I'd be willing to pay for it if it was!

MattDavis
07-09-2011, 09:58 AM
• Time of day code
• -3dB gain (and -6?)
• Get rid of the black screens with 'Okay' button after some actions
• Improve latency of audio controls (and I thought the EX1 was bad)

There are other niggles but that's what immediately springs to mind.

mandrean
07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Waveform would be nice.

Jean-Philippe
07-09-2011, 11:06 AM
2.35:1 Guide. It's a camera for filmakers afterall!

Richard Allen Crook
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I like that ideology...it's for filmmakers. Seems to be right along with lack of ND, modular design, color temp dial, etc....so keeping up with that they should change GAIN to ISO, or at least make it an option.

TimurCivan
07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Why does everyone think firmware will change fundemental hardware issue with a camera? Firmware can change you UI, maybe your clock setting (add a framerate) but that's about it.

2.35 frame guides entirely possible.

New resolutions, recording codecs, etc.. likely not.

Richard Allen Crook
07-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Why does everyone think firmware will change fundemental hardware issue with a camera? Firmware can change you UI, maybe your clock setting (add a framerate) but that's about it. The party pooper has arrived. :(Jk....haha. If anything, this could be a useful list for the next model.

TimurCivan
07-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Hah,

Its just funny, its like saying changing the computer in a car will change it from a V6 to a V8 is all. Yes it can add some features but certain things are beyond firmwares reach.

Richard Allen Crook
07-09-2011, 12:54 PM
No I hear ya. So firmware cannot change an 8bit cam into 10bit is what your referring to mainly, right? But the other stuff like crop 2.35:1 guides and changing gain to iso is doable isn't it?

J Michael
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Probably not possible, but like you, I'd be willing to pay for it if it was!

A-D is on the sensor and the sensor is the same sensor on the F3. Wonder what's downstream, circuit-wise?

TimurCivan
07-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Yea, things like 8bit to 10bit.

The sensor is only one of the expensive parts, its the super computer inside that processes 444 10bit analog into 8bit 420 digital h264 avchd. However, think about this, the F3 does that to XDCAM and it can process SLOG, 444, run duallink protocol, and create 10bit 422. Each of those things requires computing. Power. And that's why its expensive. Also think of the R&D of creating perfect software that DOES NOT jam, lock up, or corrupt. Remeber magic lantern? Locked up every now and again. The REDONE, locked up...

I mean look how hard it is to make a computer that doesn't freeze up.

jetswing
07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I would like FS200 with better build quality and built-in ND. And all of the features mentioned above! :)

Postmaster
07-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Firmware can change you UI, maybe your clock setting (add a framerate) but that's about it.

We are probably spoiled by the DSLR hacks.

On the other hand, a little firmware update can make the F3 spiting out S-log.
And yeah, it can, because it was already there, just not accessible - but who knows what is in the FS100 already there?

One argument is, The F3 can do this and tha,t cause it has a supercomputer and costs much more.
The other argument could be: Sony saves a lot of money just developing one basic camera and sell it on two different markets, by restricting the cheaper camera.

Remember what Juan did with the DVX and the Andromeda modification? Who thought that would be possible in the first place?

Im probably wrong here, but who knows?

Frank

TimurCivan
07-09-2011, 05:56 PM
We are probably spoiled by the DSLR hacks.

On the other hand, a little firmware update can make the F3 spiting out S-log.
And yeah, it can, because it was already there, just not accessible - but who knows what is in the FS100 already there?

One argument is, The F3 can do this and tha,t cause it has a supercomputer and costs much more.
The other argument could be: Sony saves a lot of money just developing one basic camera and sell it on two different markets, by restricting the cheaper camera.

Remember what Juan did with the DVX and the Andromeda modification? Who thought that would be possible in the first place?

Im probably wrong here, but who knows?

Frank

The andromeda is totally different. IT only worked because it was a Pixelshift sensor, and the architecture made for an easy "stealing" of the DSP data off the chips. Just cause it works in one cam, doesnt mean it will work on another.

As far as DSLR hacks, i think the things MagicLantern did was astounding.... Zebras? Audio Levels? frame guides? Peaking in red? etc... amazing.... even the new one, changes the bitrate... now thats impressive.

Kraut69
07-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Having just three choices for gain and then having to dig into the menu to change them is quite a burden. It wasn't such a burden on my old Canon video cam because frankly your choices for useable gain (without noise) were limited anyway, so 3 choices about nailed the Canon, but with the FS100, you want to use the whole big, big range of useable gain settings and dial it in right on the money.

P. Harrill
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Time of day code
-3dB gain (and -6?)
Get rid of the black screens with 'Okay' button after some actions
Improve latency of audio controls (and I thought the EX1 was bad)

There are other niggles but that's what immediately springs to mind.

The FS100 does do "time of day code."

Set your UB TIME REC setting (in TC/UB SET menu) to "On" -- that will allow time of day to be recorded to your footage. You might be able to do it with TC instead of UB by presetting your time code (menu option TC PRESET) to your current time of day... and then engaging Free Run. But I haven't tried that.

Lee Saxon
07-10-2011, 05:25 AM
You guys offering to pay Sony extra to unlock features that should have been enabled from the start are killing me. Don't encourage that behavior.

DM_rider
07-10-2011, 09:33 AM
You guys offering to pay Sony extra to unlock features that should have been enabled from the start are killing me. Don't encourage that behavior.

This is an amazing camera as is, yet everyone wants more. Sure there are some things that the FS100 could have had, but there's a lot Sony could have left out as well. Why keep asking for more when instead, you can work with what you have and make great images?

I think it's funny how people get upset because the camera isn't an F3...

David G. Smith
07-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I would love to see more options to customize the visual display of the LCD screen. I wish it could be pure ala cart, with viewable items as a choice, like a computer tool bar preference menu. On the FS100, to see what I want to see, I have to have everything on the screen. I don't care for that. I realize that this is not a unique problem to the FS100. Most modern cameras are like that.

MattDavis
07-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Crumbs - in all the hullabaloo with FCP-X and missing Metadata, I've just noticed that the FS100 doesn't have shot and essence markers (happy to be proved wrong though).

Once teamed up with a 'proper grown up NLE that recognises this important info' (naming no names, but Apple Must Try Harder), it's incredibly useful for those of us cursed to pick apart multiple 45 minute interviews for 2 minute talking head medleys.

legrevedotcom
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
We should create a wishlist for feature FS100 firmware. Some poll maybe.
I personally want:

24fps, 60fps for PAL cameras

Waveform

bigger resolution/lower fps in smooth slow mode.
I shot some fast movements in this mode and it looks crazy! There's 200 frames per second! but resolution is no more than 640x360. If there would be 800x450 and 100fps I could use it for broadcast. This would be amazing!

I'd like to add 30p to your list there... I find it completely absurd that Sony feels a need to differ between EU and the US... doesn't matter if one side is PAL and the other NTSC, just make all the damn frame rates available to both sides. Last I checked... even my European screens run at 60hz.... so... bloody Sony idiots.

What I'm saying is that they shouldn't be making the decision for us, we are fully capable of doing that ourselves.

Olivier Biron
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
easy acess to to WB preset
beter usage of the touch screen
a bit more of metadata
picture profile with name
some way to lock the auto shutter in the menu
and the button only to activate any change the frequency not manual or auto !!!
and many little hickup like those that i canyt remember right now

Postmaster
11-03-2011, 01:26 AM
So......

Today is the day.

Canon and RED are coming up with something exciting.

The firmware update for the FS100 is still not in sight.

Will we even care about that update after the announcements?
Will there thousands of FS100 pop up on ebay tomorrow?

Exciting times, but nerve wrecking sometimes.

Gear lust is a disease.

Frank

eheath
11-03-2011, 01:28 AM
So......

Today is the day.

Canon and RED are coming up with something exciting.

The firmware update for the FS100 is still not in sight.

Will we even care about that update after the announcements?
Will there thousands of FS100 pop up on ebay tomorrow?

Exciting times, but nerve wrecking sometimes.

Gear lust is a disease.

Frank

i think luckily, what canon and red are announcing will be a camera in the next level of price range from the fs100/af100, like $15k bodies which i dunno about you, but thats over twice as much as i have spent on my fs100 setup.

bimdas
11-03-2011, 01:31 AM
I'm guessing both Canon and Red's offering won't be in the same $5k ballpark so not really a threat. The F3 on the other hand...