PDA

View Full Version : The FS100 and BMD's new Hyperdeck

cuervo
07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/149/888/1498882_75.jpg bill ravens (http://www.vimeo.com/user416836) 3 hours ago Delete / Edit

I just received my brand new Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed recorder. I connected it up to my FS100 HDMI output port to see the quality of video I could get. Sadly, the Hyperdeck won't recognize the HDMI out of the NEX cams. I called BMD customer support and they're looking into the problem.

If anyone else has this issue, I would hope you call Blackmagic. They won't address the problem until the next firmware update. The more people that call, the faster they will respond, I hope anyway.

edit: sorry for the confusion, but, this is with a Hyperdeck Shuttle...not a Hyperdeck Studio

speedracerlo
07-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Not sure about the Studio, but I just found out that the BMD hyperdeck shuttle has started shipping since late June.
Anyone try using this on their FS100?
I think the Studio and Shuttle share similar design so if it doesn't read the HDMI as of yet, that's a bummer.

OutlawsDelejos
07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
So they shipped it knowing full well that was an issue? That's unacceptable if true.

Postmaster
07-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Are you saying, that maybe till the next firmware update, you have nothing but an uncompressed door stopper?

That sucks.

Frank

cuervo
07-06-2011, 06:09 AM
yeah, that's just about the jist of it.

MadMonkFish
07-06-2011, 07:47 AM
So they shipped it knowing full well that was an issue? That's unacceptable if true.

Isn't this Sony's issue, not BMD's? The implimentation of the HDMI output signal is different - perhaps this wasn't shared with BMD?

The only way to tell is to connect the shuttle to another HDMI out (F3 or AF100 for example) & see if it gets a signal...

BMD will probably need to do an update quickly anyway - it's always the way! :)

Barry_Green
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Right -- put the blame where it belongs, Sony made a nonstandard HDMI connection.

If the BMD doesn't work with anyone else's HDMI, then yeah, BMD should fix it. Short of that, Sony should be reaching out to BMD and everyone else to get them the info they need, to incorporate Sony's variant on HDMI protocol.

fredeinziger
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Recieved my Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle yesterday too.
Also doesn't work with my FS100 (US version).
I tried all settings and different HDMI cables, not working then tried it on a PC with HDMI out and it recognized the signal.
Called Blackmagic Support and addressed my issue....hopefully they will have an update asap, this is not acceptable and useless.

cuervo
07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Same here. The hyperdeck Shuttle works OK with my Nanoflash HDMI output. I can connect the Nanoflash, pass the signal thru to the Hyperdeck, and that works fine.

speedracerlo
07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't think anyone is to blame here, both products are brand new and of course it should take time to resolve these things

mico
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
A three year old device is working fine with this non standard HDMI. Dan Keaton at convergent design has said that he has done alot of nanoflash testing with the Fs100 and it works fine. The only thing they're working on is getting timecode over the HDMI to work. This is a 3 year old device that works out of the box so the only non standard part is the timecode through HDMI which was great on Sonys part.

cuervo
07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Dan Keaton at convergent design has said that he has done alot of nanoflash testing with the Fs100 and it works fine.

Well, to say it works fine is a bit of an exaggeration. It's true that the Nanoflash can be made to work by putting the FS100 in interlaced mode and passing that signal to the Nanoflash, which in turn is set to PsF. The fact is that the Nanoflash does not recognize the FS100 signal when it's set to 1080P....it will work with 1080PsF, even tho the outout of the FS100 is really not 1080PsF. This is really no fault of the Nanoflash, however, since the true progressive mode out of the FS100 is 60p. The Nanoflash will never read 60P. It's not part of the Sony XDCAM codec.

The fact of the matter is that very few apps are presently able to accept 108060p.

Andy Mangrum
07-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Hello Cuervo,

I Thought I might Clarify that you are correct in the fact that the nanoFlash does not recognize the FS100 output when it is set to 1080p60 or 1080p50 since the nanoFlash does not Support 1080p60 or 1080p50 due to hardware constraints, but it does support true progressive formats such as 720p60 and 720p50 etc, and from other cameras 1080p 29.97, 1080p25 and 1080p23.98 (Since that may be a bit confusing for some customers)

Not to mention that nanoFlash support 3:2 removal with SDI and HDMI based camera's.

Best Regards

mico
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254987-How-to-Setup-FS100-nanoFlash-1080p24

Regarding app acceptance Didn't I hear that FCP X does 1080/60p?

Postmaster
07-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Straight from the horses mouth:

Hi Frank,

Thankyou for your email.

Just yesterday we did have a report of a customer having problems with the NEX FS100U and the Hyperdeck Shuttle.
This has been reported to our development team, and they are looking into this as a matter of importance.

I have not however come across any issues with other NEX cameras.

Regards

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Postmaster
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Looks like the AJA Kipro has the same Problem: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avchd-nex-fs100/498265-aja-ki-pro-mini-does-not-work-fs100.html

(http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avchd-nex-fs100/498265-aja-ki-pro-mini-does-not-work-fs100.html)

Jon Thorn
07-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Postmaster wrote: "Looks like the AJA Kipro has the same Problem"Sorry, but this is how rumors get started... I found that thread because of this thread... so thanks I guess. It's not easy chasing down every post on every forum out there. Posting my reply here so members of this community don't have to leave it to read it: Brian B.J. - I would sincerely suggest that you contact AJA Technical Support on Monday for assistance configuring the camera and the Ki Pro Mini. AJA has a Sony FS100, and when the output is configured to produce 1080i 29.97, it works fine with the Ki Pro and Ki Pro Mini products; in fact AJA demoed this very combination at NAB.As a side note... can I suggest not entitling a post "X does not work with X!" unless you receive that information from the manufacturer? It tends to lead to rumors and a lot of grief that could otherwise be avoided...Hope this is helpful,Jon ThornProduct ManagerAJA Video Systems, Inc.

jetswing
07-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Sounds more like an user error

mico
07-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I do sympathize with you Jon having to chase down these things when a simple phone call to the company first would most likely help solve their issues. It also doesn't help when people who aren't having the problem have to put their 2 cents in and spread it further.

Mark Crabtree
07-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I called Blackmagic customer support today and was told they know about this problem and that an update on the situation would come out within the next 2 or 3 days. They said that it may be possible to fix the problem with a software update and it may not.

cuervo
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
BMD posted info today saying that they duplicated the problem. They think it's a handshake problem that can be fixed with software. They said they are eager to solve the problem quickly.

Jacky Lau
07-15-2011, 02:22 AM
I have same problem in my Sony HXR-NX5 ..... no output when connect to HyperDeck Shuttle HDMI
I connect to other HDMI device, just output mono Green color image like this ....

Jacky Lau
07-15-2011, 02:31 AM
BMD posted info today saying that they duplicated the problem. They think it's a handshake problem that can be fixed with software. They said they are eager to solve the problem quickly.

Where can I read the source of this post please ?

Postmaster
07-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Mine arrived today, now BM has only come up with the update.

How do you guy planning to mount the Shuttle?

Frank

Mark Crabtree
07-15-2011, 05:29 AM
I pealed off the rubber pad on the bottom revealing the screws that secure the bottom plate. I'm making a metal plate to replace the rubber pad to be held on with slightly longer screws, compensate for it's additional thickness. The new bottom plate will feature a center mounted female quarter twenty.

Postmaster
07-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds perfect in my book Mark.

Dermot
07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Where can I read the source of this post please ?

the cow, BDM subforum

Postmaster
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Just for the record: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/124/877009

Frank

ectobuilder
07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
http://b.vimeocdn.com/ps/149/888/1498882_75.jpg bill ravens (http://www.vimeo.com/user416836) 3 hours ago Delete / Edit

I just received my brand new Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio 10-bit 4:2:2 uncompressed recorder. I connected it up to my FS100 HDMI output port to see the quality of video I could get. Sadly, the Hyperdeck won't recognize the HDMI out of the NEX cams. I called BMD customer support and they're looking into the problem.

If anyone else has this issue, I would hope you call Blackmagic. They won't address the problem until the next firmware update. The more people that call, the faster they will respond, I hope anyway.

edit: sorry for the confusion, but, this is with a Hyperdeck Shuttle...not a Hyperdeck Studio

Would the problem be 8-bit vs 10-bit?

Jacky Lau
07-16-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm using HXR-NX5, have problem when connected to HDMI port but SDI work fine

cuervo
07-16-2011, 04:26 AM

Absolutely no! My nanoflash, which is 8-bit only, reads the signal just fine. The problem seems to be the hanshaking that is not happening between the FS100 and the Hyperdeck....a software problem.

Postmaster
07-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I pealed off the rubber pad on the bottom revealing the screws that secure the bottom plate. I'm making a metal plate to replace the rubber pad to be held on with slightly longer screws, compensate for it's additional thickness. The new bottom plate will feature a center mounted female quarter twenty.

Here is my rig in the moment. The solution for the Hypershuttle is not optimal yet, but I figured, when I shoot uncompressed, itīs unlikely that I need to go run & gun, so on a tripod itīs fine.

Itīs pretty much a Frank-n-Stein (pun intended) rig - baseplate with v-lock for tripod plate is from Bescor - it "transformers" into a shoulder rig. I modified it, so I have the main wight balanced on the shoulder, like a proper ENG camera. Cage is from India (Cinecity) and the arm and monitor combination makes it possible to see what you get, while on the shoulder.

3691436915[

cuervo
07-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Following the experience of someone else who mounted the Hyperdeck, I peeled away the rubber pad and removed the four Hyperdeck baseplate screws. This allowed removal of the baseplate, which is nothing more than a thin aluminum plate. Using this plate as a template, I manufactured an identical plate out of 1/4 inch aluminum. Since it sits on the Hyperdeck in a recess, the apparent replacement plate is only 1/8 inch thick. This allowed me to incorporate some 3/16 x 20 tapped holes for mounting a rail block. I can now mount the Hyperdeck, either horizontally or vertically in the rails. Works great.

Postmaster
07-16-2011, 06:05 AM
Pictures?

cuervo
07-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Pictures?

Here ya go...not my FS100...but, close enough...:grin:

Postmaster
07-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Now that's cool

Mark Crabtree
07-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Funny how were spending time and money custom rigging a device we are not 100 percent sure will ever work with our FS100.

cuervo
07-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Funny how were spending time and money custom rigging a device we are not 100 percent sure will ever work with our FS100.

Exactly why I mounted it to my EX1. The thing about 15mm rail mounting systems is that once you've mounted it to a rail, it'll work on ANY 15mm rail. :beer:

Dermot
07-17-2011, 08:34 AM
a few Q's for you BMD owners please?
1) batt life - internal batt = ? hours power up
2) 12v external = what are you using ( if using anything atall)?
3) drive choices?

thanks

d

Jacky Lau
07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
>>> batt life - internal batt = ? hours power up
Around one hour when fully charge

>>> 12v external = what are you using ( if using anything atall)?
AC power supply included or 12V-18V DC input

>>> drive choices?
I'm using OCZ Vertex 3 240GB, it is work fine
Considering buy one Crucial C300 256GB for test

legrevedotcom
07-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Vertex 3 is the fastest around... ananand did a comprehensive test and it came out on top.

Dermot
07-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Tnx Jacky, i was wondering what you used for external power? an AB on the end of the rails? any solutions that are a bit more elegant?

cuervo
07-18-2011, 04:45 AM
I just received an email from BMD. According to the email, they have a fix for the incompatibility problem with the FS100 and will be soon releasing a beta firmware update.

Postmaster
07-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Tnx Jacky, i was wondering what you used for external power? an AB on the end of the rails? any solutions that are a bit more elegant?

One V-mount battery powers everything: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254723-Insane!-Power-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-from-one-v-mount.&highlight=

(http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254723-Insane!-Power-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-from-one-v-mount.&highlight=)EDIT:

Now I got it. You have to search on US Ebay for the seller "link-fortune"

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_adv=1&_catref=1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_ssn=link-fortune&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

Frank

Mark Crabtree
07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
So I'm rethinking the shuttle. SSD's are notorious for their unreliability. Suddenly you have no drive and no data, all without warning. And the file sizes are twice that of my Red MX. That's a lot of data to off load and back up. Then it has to be converted into a format I can use. For me, that would be CineForm. Someone suggested converting to your format of choice right off the SSD's and then dumping the original. That sounds like a great plan, with one exception. My experience converting CineForm includes occassional errors. Sometimes a clip, for unknown reason, converts improperly. We reconvert and it is fine. So I would be hesitant to purge the original. I'm now thinking about having two options. One: Either the Ninja or the Sound Devices Pix 240. The Pix will give me two additional audio channels. Two: The AJA io express and a laptop with express buss. The AJA io express will allow me to record CineForm direct to hard drive using my laptop. It will do 3/2 pull down creating a true progressive file that will need no further processing in my workflow. The Ninja footage will of course need to be post converted.

Postmaster
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Hmmm...

here is my workflow: Two SSDs - rocord to one while the other one downloads the footy via laptop on a e-sata HDD in a docking station.
Back home, I copy the footage from the HDDs to the RAID of my NLE and start editing.But I keep the material on the HDDs as a backup.

So - at least for me - there is no need to convert anything, cause every NLE can work with uncompressed material, even on older computers with soft RAID. I can keep my stuff uncompressed till delivery.

Frank

Mark Crabtree
07-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I have a san with 4 edit suites. We have standardized on CineForm. So, when we shoot Red we convert to 1080p Cineform 444. When we shoot AVCHD we convert to CineForm 1080p 444. We color correct everything with First Light. No rendering, just LUTS. Awsome time saver in post. Excellent 10 bit 444 quality. But EVERYTHING we shoot has to be converted. So, for me, the Shuttle's double the file size of Red and still having to convert later is a big hassel. With a CineForm capture station I get my native editing file, visually lossless at one tenth the file size. And I can apply LUTs in the field to judge my look. For run and gun, something like a Ninja would be a good compromise. I still need conversion, but I get a better quality file than AVCHD with much smaller sizes than uncompressed. All this combined with my experience loosing all data on 2 SSDs without warning has me rethinking the Shuttle.

mcgeedigital
07-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I wish there was an off the shelf way to mount the hyperdeck to a set of rails.

connectivitygroup
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I wish there was an off the shelf way to mount the hyperdeck to a set of rails.

If you want I can take a look at it and I can build something for you pretty quickly. My fabricator owes me a favor and I have been thinking of making some products for it. I am still debating if I want to order one or not. It's the 1000 dollars in ssds that holds me back.

Postmaster
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
The Hypershuttle is so cheap, even with 2 $1000 SSDs, it blows other uncompressed devices out of the water.

Convergent design is like 6000 and the Cinedeck between 8000 and 10000 - and they also come without SSDs.

Regarding the liability of SSDs: Every medium fails now and then. I saw that on Film, Tape, P2, HDDs SD Cards andwhatnot.
You have to live with that, but minimize the risk.
This is done by buying only small capacity SSDs, like 120 GB. It gives you about 12 minutes for shooting - much like a film magazine.
So if one fails, you loose no more than 12 minutes - which is bad enough, but better than half an hour or more.

Frank

Postmaster
07-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Any news on the firmware update?

Frank

legrevedotcom
07-26-2011, 01:41 AM
The Hypershuttle is so cheap, even with 2 $1000 SSDs, it blows other uncompressed devices out of the water.

Convergent design is like 6000 and the Cinedeck between 8000 and 10000 - and they also come without SSDs.

Regarding the liability of SSDs: Every medium fails now and then. I saw that on Film, Tape, P2, HDDs SD Cards andwhatnot.
You have to live with that, but minimize the risk.
This is done by buying only small capacity SSDs, like 120 GB. It gives you about 12 minutes for shooting - much like a film magazine.
So if one fails, you loose no more than 12 minutes - which is bad enough, but better than half an hour or more.

Frank

So how many SSDs are you optimally running with? Would 3 be a good number; 1 in the deck, 1 in the desk mount and one ready to be inserted in the cam?

Those 12 min, I guess is on the highest possible setting? I'm just contemplating the situation here for studio jobs, with a MBP for off loading.
Even with a 2nd 750 gb WD Black in the optibay, I'd run out of space pretty fast? Or how do you experience this?

Postmaster
07-26-2011, 02:11 AM
A 2 TB HDD is cheaper than tape these days, so I just keep buying them, as I kept buying tapes , back in those tape days.

by the way, there is no "setting" on the Hypershuttle - itīs just uncompressed - period. No way to set codecs or data rates.
You always can buy larger SSDs and have longer recording time if you really need that. But I prefer small ones for safety reasons.

Frank

cuervo
07-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Any news on the firmware update?

Frank
No.....I've heard nothing from BMD. I'm still waiting.
-Bill

cuervo
07-28-2011, 04:42 AM
This morning BMD sent me a release candidate firmware update for my Hyperdeck. Installation was very simple; and, my Hyperdeck now recognizes the FS100 and will record the video signal. I must say, I'm very pleased with the response from BMD. They've asked me not to distribute the update, since it is a pre-release. But, I am letting everyone know that they will soon release a public update, and it works. Now, I'm off to test some captures.

-Bill

Postmaster
07-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Now thatīs good news :beer:

fredeinziger
07-28-2011, 07:53 AM
i also recieved a release candidate firmware, unfortunatley it only works with 1080i output on my US model (FS100u)

cuervo
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
i also recieved a release candidate firmware, unfortunatley it only works with 1080i output on my US model (FS100u)

To expand on this, it seems the Hyperdeck works only with the conventional HDMI formats of 720p, 720i, and 1080i. It does not work with 1080p on the FS100. I beleive this is happening because, unlike earlier models, the FS100 outputs in a native 1080p60 format, that is recorded internally, in all 1080p modes as 1080ps(progressive segmented) . Decompression of true 1080p60 is not routinely handled by any of the current recorders. The only application I've found that can even recognize the native 1080P60 format is Adobe CS5.5.

I just hope that 3rd party vendors, like Convergent Design, BMD, Sound Devices and ATOMOS can get it together enough to offer firmware updates to 1080P60 in the near future.

edit: I've already spoken with Convergent Design concerning future updates for the Nanoflash. The MPEG2 HD422 codec used in their Nanoflash is not capable of handling 1080p60 and the Nanoflash will never be able to accept that format. It is, quite simply, a hardware limitation. I hope that other devices are not subject to this limitation.

Alpern
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I hope they are able to do this with firmware but I don't think it will happen. 60p is twice the data of 60i and I don't think these recorders have enough processing power to handle it.

cuervo
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
I hope they are able to do this with firmware but I don't think it will happen. 60p is twice the data of 60i and I don't think these recorders have enough processing power to handle it.
Alpern, I tend to agree with you. However, the processor(s?) in the FS100 seems to be able to handle it, so......when will this kind of processing power make it into 3rd party recorders? And who manufactures it? Sony?

Postmaster
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
.....when will this kind of processing power make it into 3rd party recorders? And who manufactures it? Sony?

Than it would not be a 3rd party recorder anymore :beer:

By the way if Sony (FS100) is the 1st party and - letīs say - Ninja is a 3rd party recorder, who is the second party anyway?

I never understood that saying, but Iīm German, so what do I know :)

Frank

cuervo
07-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Than it would not be a 3rd party recorder anymore :beer:

By the way if Sony (FS100) is the 1st party and - letīs say - Ninja is a 3rd party recorder, who is the second party anyway?

I never understood that saying, but Iīm German, so what do I know :)

Frank

LOL...well, your point does not go unappreciated, AFAIK anyway. I have had my share of German made cars(Porsche 911). While they are VERY purpose built to the point of perfection, they lack in certain "modern" developments. Trees/forest, trees/forest, trees/forest...the perpetual dilemma huh?:grin: Even Dorothy(The Wizard of Oz for you non-Americans) had trouble with deciding on the details...LOL

Postmaster
07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
LOL. Time to get my red shoes out

Frank :beer:

Jacky Lau
07-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I received the firmware beta also, after tested, It work fine with my Sony HXR-NX5 now !
but the Green mono screen still happen on some of HDMI device. I did reported to BMD.
Any body have this Green mono screen experience ?

Guy_Cochran
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
The new Hyperdeck 1.0.1 drivers are now available for download http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/
Read me states:
• Improved HDMI compatibility with Sony NEX FS100

Mestizo Devon
08-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Footage anyone??
I'm wondering if anyone has any test footage or clips they would like to share?

arifam
08-04-2011, 04:59 AM
hello
Blackmagic recently made ​​digital recorder upgrade Hyperdeck to optimize compatibility with nex-FS100, I just did the update and tell you that it works perfectly.
must put the hdmi output in 1080i mode, the recorder will recognize the input signal and the LED video light, the camera is in recording mode the recorder will record 1080p uncompressed 4:2:2 progressive with a rate of 1020 Mbit / sec.

The tests I've done the material is fantastically well and appreciates the difference with the material recorded in avchd.

you can download the update from this link: Blackmagic Design: Support Detail

fredeinziger
08-04-2011, 07:12 AM
i totally agree with arifam - when recording in 30p (camera output set to 1080i) it the Hyperdeck records full 1080-30p uncompressed.
However, when set to 24p it seems that some kind of pulldown is required as it records 24p within 30p.
I tried with cinema tool all settings etc. but wasn't able to get the right footage (without the two interlaced frames) out....

@arifam : do you have any experience with 24p and the Hyperdeck ?

cuervo
08-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Removing pulldown within After Effects resolves this "feature" very nicely.

fredeinziger
08-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Removing pulldown within After Effects resolves this "feature" very nicely.

THX for your help ! Any other way to do this easily, especially for batch converting ?

arifam
08-04-2011, 11:00 AM
i totally agree with arifam - when recording in 30p (camera output set to 1080i) it the Hyperdeck records full 1080-30p uncompressed.
@arifam : do you have any experience with 24p and the Hyperdeck ?

I am in Europe, PAL region, so that the model is not sold fs100U here, so I can only be tested at frequencies PAL, 25 and 50.

I have access to an F3 soon for a shoot at 24 fps and will test and report results.

greetings.

PabloOzzy
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
So does the hyperdeck now handle the overcrank framerates in progressive? ie in PAL can it it record 1080 50p and for ntsc 1080 60p? I think the Ninja still only does 1080i at 50 and 60 which to me defeats the purpose?

Mestizo Devon
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Guys,

What are you using for ssd cases?
I'd like to get some of the Black magic
cases, but $299 for 280 cases. I don't
think I will have that many drives! Anyone
Know who is selling these separately or a pack of 10?????

arifam
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Paul, hyperdeck not support the flow of 1080 50p, in my tests only supports 1080 25p and 50i, must always be set to 1080i HDMI output, independent of the recording mode.

Mestizo, I am using v100 + 128 GB kinstong

Postmaster
08-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Guys,

What are you using for ssd cases?

Small Pelicase that holds 4 of them, the Hypershuttle and cable.

Frank

mcgeedigital
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Got a prototype of a great mounting plate and bracket from John Saunders at Connectivity Group:

Rock solid with plenty of 1/4-20 and 3/8 threaded holes.

Mestizo Devon
08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
True!!!

Mestizo Devon
08-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Got a prototype of a great mounting plate and bracket from John Saunders at Connectivity Group:

How much
where
and when???

connectivitygroup
08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
How much
where
and when???

I am still waiting back for the final pricing from our manufacturer and it will be a few weeks after that until any production models are ready.

I made Matt's by hand on my mini mill. If someone wanted one quickly I suppose I could make more by hand but they would be somewhat expensive and for now not anodized. However they could be customized to fit other needs.

If someone is interested they can PM me.

connectivitygroup
08-15-2011, 11:52 AM

And I would really like to thank Matt for sending me his deck for my to take my measurements.

steditrak
09-09-2011, 02:50 AM
As a proud owner of the NEX-FS100UK Camera with the Hyperdeck Shuttle I can't begin to tell you how pleased I was to hear that there's a simple Workflow for removing the 2:3 Pull Down using Apple Compressor available with Final Cut Pro Studio:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-down/

Couldn't be happier.

There's just one little problem.

I don't own a Mac.

I own a PC with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

OK now what?

Any ideas?

cuervo
09-09-2011, 10:21 AM
After Effects does a pretty acceptable job of performing the pulldown reversal.
As a proud owner of the NEX-FS100UK Camera with the Hyperdeck Shuttle I can't begin to tell you how pleased I was to hear that there's a simple Workflow for removing the 2:3 Pull Down using Apple Compressor available with Final Cut Pro Studio:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-down/

Couldn't be happier.

There's just one little problem.

I don't own a Mac.

I own a PC with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

OK now what?

Any ideas?

Berk
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
do you think a SATA 3G hd would be sufficient for BM? I have WD 500G Scorpio Black in my mind.
any experience? or does it have to be a Solid State drive?

Postmaster
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Yap, has to be solid state. Been there, done that.
And you better stick to the SSDs that BM recomends - been there also....

Frank

nyvz
10-06-2011, 12:27 PM
do you think a SATA 3G hd would be sufficient for BM? I have WD 500G Scorpio Black in my mind.
any experience? or does it have to be a Solid State drive?

There are no hard drives that would consistently give you 150MBps+ write speeds.

Gary W
10-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Frank you have been working with this deck for a while now, so how is it to work
with? I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about it, as I am looking
into getting one my self as apposed to the Atmos Ninja?
Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Yap, has to be solid state. Been there, done that.
And you better stick to the SSDs that BM recomends - been there also....

Frank

Postmaster
10-08-2011, 01:24 AM
It depends what your shooting style is.
If you need to move fast, tight budget or time frame - forget it and get a Ninja.

If you are on a set to do narrative, or commercial, bluescreen, even music video and some documentary scenarios, itīs a great device.
Especially for the money - you get a great HDMI to SDI and vice versa converter with a free uncompressed recorder ;-). What more can you ask for?

You ether need a ton of SSDs or a laptop, docking station and a bunch of hard drives.

Thatīs how I shoot.
I have 3 SSDs - each one lasts for about 12 minutes - much like in the old days of film.
While I shoot, I copy the full SSDs to a normal hard drive. So I don't run out of space.

Quality is just great and itīs extremely swift in the timeline, cause the processor donīt have much to do.

You need a RAID - but simply software stripping two or three fast HDDs is enough for performance.
The only downside for me is, that the SSds need to be MAC formated and Iīm on PC. A bit of a pain in the a... but I can work around it.

I wish i could use NTFS formated SSD and that I could switch it, to record only two audio tracks, but otherwise Iīm a happy camper.

Frank

cuervo
10-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Frank,

I'm curious. Do you think the external recorder solution is sufficiently better than the onboard AVCHD solution? For run and gun, there's a lot of added inconvenience for marginal improvement in captured data, I would think. I'm just curious about where you see the advantage to any alternative solution to AVCHD.

Postmaster
10-08-2011, 06:49 AM
The implementation of AVCHD on the FS100 is surprisingly good and holds up in post much better than I thought.
For 80% off the most scenarios, itīs not worth to use the Hyperdeck (or any other recorder), but for the rest - greenscreen, critical footage or if you just want the best, itīs a great option.
If you have to move fast/run & gun one man show, I would recommend to use the internal card or FMU if you do a concert or other extrema long recording.

Frank

rejdmast
10-08-2011, 09:53 PM
The only downside for me is, that the SSds need to be MAC formated and Iīm on PC. A bit of a pain in the a... but I can work around it.

I wish i could use NTFS formated SSD and that I could switch it ...
Frank

Get MacDrive. It's totally transparent. You can format and read Mac drives just like they were NTFS drives.
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive