PDA

View Full Version : FS-100/Heliopan depth of field/evaluation video

alaskacameradude
07-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Some people have expressed interest in seeing how the Heliopan variable ND helps you control depth of field, and affects your image. I have just shot a quick sample video. It is a set of three shots at three different focal lengths using the kit lens. The first shot in each pair, is WITHOUT the Heliopan filter. You can tell, as it has a high FStop around F20 or higher. The second shot in each pair is WITH the Heliopan filter, it will obviously have a lower FStop.....I used the Heliopan to allow me to use the maximum FStop available. The focal length and FStop is noted for each shot in the video, I just forgot to add if it was with or without the filter.....so after reading this, you can now tell which shots were using the
variable ND and which were not. Anyways, here is the link:

http://exposureroom.com/members/alaskacameradude/14d879d0c3924609974edd0388478689/ (http://exposureroom.com/members/alaskacameradude/14d879d0c3924609974edd0388478689/)

kostas
07-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Thank you for this test. Really interesting.
I see absolutely no loss in sharpness, but there definitely is a colour shift towards green.
And this is not what I expected after all the raving reviews. Have you reset white balance before shooting each time?
I'd have to re-think my purchase of ND filter...

alaskacameradude
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm glad you said that. I just looked at my FCP timeline and guess what? I had hit one of my custom keyboard shortcuts by accident that applied a custom color 3 way profile to
two or three clips that had been selected....OOPS!!! I am reuploading....give me a few minutes here....

leaftors
09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
someone has to compare this to tiffen 4x4 filters!

alaskacameradude
09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
someone has to compare this to tiffen 4x4 filters!

Well, I don't own a matte box and flat filters, but have used them before. I think the Heliopan is 'close' to being as good as a flat filter. For fast paced stuff
it's much more convenient and faster, and awfully close to being as good. However, I'd like to see a comparison test as well.

NeedCreative
09-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Much as I have maligned my LCW Fader II filter, sometimes it's just all I can use because the Matte Box would be too big or unwieldly for some setups. I can correct the color cast in post. There is some loss in sharpness, but it's not as bad as it seems in practice because the camera is so sharp to begin with.

Sure, I see some loss when I am pixel peeping as compared to my Tiffen 4x4's. But is it noticable in practice watching the dailies on the big screen? Only if the filter is turned too far it seems....