PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Scoring a Residential House to Shoot In

revention
07-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I have confirmed all locations for the short film except for the residential property. I'm thinking about contacting a couple Realtors and seeing if they would be interested in allowing me to shoot there for free. But before I do I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or alternatives. Renting a film set is beyond the budget of this film as it is very low budget (less than $800).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

cameronchapman
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
A Realtor can't give you permission to shoot in a house they're listing (they don't own the property and wouldn't have the right to give you permission). And honestly, they probably wouldn't want to help you (if the house is tied up with a film shoot, that means they can't show the property to prospective buyers).

An alternative would be to look at short-term vacation rentals or sublets in your area. You'd have to pay something, most likely, but you might be able to get them to rent to you midweek between weekend rentals or something for less money. Or even for free if you can get them excited about the project. This is my own plan for getting residential locations for a couple of planned shoots.

revention
07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
A Realtor can't give you permission to shoot in a house they're listing (they don't own the property and wouldn't have the right to give you permission). And honestly, they probably wouldn't want to help you (if the house is tied up with a film shoot, that means they can't show the property to prospective buyers).

An alternative would be to look at short-term vacation rentals or sublets in your area. You'd have to pay something, most likely, but you might be able to get them to rent to you midweek between weekend rentals or something for less money. Or even for free if you can get them excited about the project. This is my own plan for getting residential locations for a couple of planned shoots.

Thanks, I never thought of that. BTW the film shoot on location is only a day so would that make a difference?

Zak Forsman
07-04-2011, 07:14 PM
we use vrbo.com for this.

revention
07-04-2011, 10:00 PM
we use vrbo.com for this.

Thanks a lot :D