PDA

View Full Version : WA Lens price error - its actually $12K

redindian
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
well, that does it - its priced out of reach.

Direct from JVC Jan's email

The GY-HD100 and the BR-HD50 are scheduled to arrive in the US in July. The GY-HD100 complete with the 16X Fujinon lens will be priced at $6,295.00 and the BR-HD50 at $3,399.00. An optional 13X Fujinon wide angle zoom lens will be available in August and will be priced at $11,995.00. Obviously, the information on the pricing for this lens I had issued earlier was in error. More haste, less speed would be the rule of the day!

We also showed a Focus Enhancements Direct to Edit hard disk (HDD) recorder for the GY-HD100. This, packaged with the GY-HD100/16X lens system, will be $8,858 and will also be available in July.

Brian A. Rutz
District Sales Manager

tim_brown
04-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Ouch! There was some question over the cost of this lens, and when comparing it to the standard 16X it did seem to be considerably sharper on the HD CRT's at NAB. Well, at least to my eyes anyway. The cost definitely puts a damper on my desire for the JVC though.

-Tim

Mediacre
04-25-2005, 11:30 AM
What many seem to be forgeting is that one need not own every lens available to the camera. There's also rental. A wide angle wouldn't be need for outdoors shooting or for some indoor shooting. Only when shooting in tight spots, which is usually not the normal situation. The stock 16x at 5.5mm goes wide enough for most applications. But the good thing is IF you need a wide angle, you can go out and rent one. You have the option of changing your lens and for a nice one at that, rather than being stuck with adding another piece of glass, probably cheaper, to your lens, adding mor distortion and other aberrations. Option is the magic word here. At least it's there. :thumbsup:

Shaw
04-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I can see using a wide angle outside. Heck, that's what I use a lot of the time. I like getting good panoramic shots.

Gibby
04-25-2005, 11:47 AM
The 13x is a sweet lens, and now that the price is confirmed, many of us will consider it a specialty use rental lens. The other option is the .8 Wide Converter for the T16x5.5 standard lens. The nomenclature is WCV-82SC. No word yet on cost, but I confirmed with the Fujinon rep at NAB that Fujinon will be manufacturing it. It will be full zoom though. It should bring the wide 5.5 out to a width that would be about as wide as anyone would want to go. Sure it will add front weight to an already front-heavy camera, but most users will be running the camera with the Anton Bauer or IDX batteries, thus balancing the camera out.

Gibby
www.cut4.tv

redindian
04-25-2005, 12:53 PM
yeah now the question is - is if we are doing a .8 wide converter on the lens, why dont we do the same on HVX200's fixed lens (they are at the same price point, so 'quality' will be same)

Yes - renting the WA lens is also an option, and so is renting a entire camera.

Get a HVX - So you can enjoy all the goodies of HVX200 (4:2:2, intraframe, 1080/24p) + if you are going to rent a WA lens anyway - rent it WITH the JVC camera.

tim_brown
04-25-2005, 01:19 PM
I had not forgotten about the possibility of renting the wide lens. My point was that if, and it's a very big if as I was judging only by eye, the considerably more expensive lens does result in a much much sharper picture, then why would you not want to own it? Your image is only as good as the glass on the front, so why would you hinder your images if HD is your aim. Again this is all speculation, as we will only be able to tell after the camera and lenses are put through their paces after their release.

Again, it is a matter of needs. I just hope JVC didn't choose to limit the camera with inferior glass just to reach a certain price point. But with the expense of HD lenses, it seems that this was probably the case due to the significant difference in price on the 13x lens.

-Tim

scharky
04-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I think the 13x lens has much more usefull focal lengths than the standard lens, therefore it would be tough for me to have it available as a rental only. Never underestimate the power of a good wide lense (not fisheye, but wide). I'm sure that is a great lens, and if it came bundled with the camera for the same price (yeah right) that would be awesome, but for as often as I use a wide angle lens, I could not justify having to find a rental house each and every time.

Mediacre
04-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Yes - renting the WA lens is also an option, and so is renting a entire camera.

For a much higher price.

redindian
04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
yes

the primary, if not the the only, attraction to the JVC cam is its interchangable lens system. For that sole reason I was willing to let go of 4:2:2 + DVCProHD + solid state media - but if the lenses are priced out of range or we need to use WA adapaters to get wide angle, I can very well get a 4:2:2 1080/24p HD camera which also does 4-60 variable rates - which I can use DAILY, and rent a JVC WA package when I do need WA (yes, for a higher price than WA lens alone - 50% more ?)

As a photographer, I do realize the importance of good glass - but if I cant use any other glass than the the one that comes with it - it might as well be fixed - yeah, manual wud be nice, but 4-60fps is nice too.

Gibby
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah now the question is - is if we are doing a .8 wide converter on the lens, why dont we do the same on HVX200's fixed lens (they are at the same price point, so 'quality' will be same)

A wide converter and a 1.6x extender will be a must as accessories when I buy an HVX200. The stock JVC lens is a 16x as opposed to a 13x for the HVX. Century Optics has confirmed that they will shortly be offering a 2x converter, a .7 wide converter, and a 1.6x extender for the Fujinon 16x5.5 lens. If you have the need for long lenses to reach certain types of subjects (wildlife, etc.), not to mention achieving a narrower depth of field, the 16x with 2x converter and 1.6x extender attached will get you out alot farther than the 13x with a 1.6x extender - your only option. The comparative quality of the Fujinon 16x and the Leica 13x is mere conjecture right now. Only side-by tests will answer that question, and they won't be possible until the end of this year.

Get a HVX - So you can enjoy all the goodies of HVX200 (4:2:2, intraframe, 1080/24p) + if you are going to rent a WA lens anyway - rent it WITH the JVC camera.

You can enjoy uncompressed component 4:2:2 720p60 from the HD100 as soon as it ships. Unfortunately, it can only be used for live output in hardlined projects, or to a computer/raid setup. With new third-party converters and decks that can handle 4:2:2 720p60 footage the utility could increase quickly.

Gibby
www.cut4.tv

Gibby
04-25-2005, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=redindian]yeah now the question is - is if we are doing a .8 wide converter on the lens, why dont we do the same on HVX200's fixed lens (they are at the same price point, so 'quality' will be same)

Whether the Fujinon 16x or the Leica 13x are equal, or one is better than the other, won't be decided until the end of this year, when side-by-side tests can be made. Century Optics has already confirmed that they will be making a .7 wide converter, a 2x doubler, and a 1.6x extender for the Fujinon 16x. I'm sure they will make a .7x wide converter and a 1.6x extender for the HVX200 also. If you have long-range subjects (nature, etc.), or are seeking a narrow depth of field, the 16x with both a 2x doubler between the lens and camera, and a 1.6x extender on the font of the lens, will get you alot closer than the 13x with only a a 1.6x extender on it.

Gibby
www.cut4.tv

Gibby
04-25-2005, 03:50 PM
yes

the primary, if not the the only, attraction to the JVC cam is its interchangable lens system. For that sole reason I was willing to let go of 4:2:2 + DVCProHD + solid state media - but if the lenses are priced out of range or we need to use WA adapaters to get wide angle, I can very well get a 4:2:2 1080/24p HD camera which also does 4-60 variable rates - which I can use DAILY, and rent a JVC WA package when I do need WA (yes, for a higher price than WA lens alone - 50% more ?)

As a photographer, I do realize the importance of good glass - but if I cant use any other glass than the the one that comes with it - it might as well be fixed - yeah, manual wud be nice, but 4-60fps is nice too.

I believe Panasonic has confirmed that the HVX200 will have variable frame rates, but has not confirmed what those frame rates will be. Everyone is assuming that it will be the same rates as the Varicam - 4-60fps - but that has not been confirmed. It would be nice if that was the case, because being able to overcrank and undercrank the camera to that extent would be a great feature!

Gibby
www.cut4.tv

Barry_Green
04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Correct, those frame rates have not been confirmed. However, we do know that 4 will be the slowest and 60 will be the fastest. What we don't know are what the increments are between 4 and 60.

Glenn_Gipson
04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Just get the G35 when it comes out for this camera and use 35mm lenses on it.