PDA

View Full Version : Effects of a cheap lens adapter on the Fs100

Postmaster
06-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I noticed this on my first test shots, but blamed it on the Vivitar Zoom, thought it was defective - No Sir, itīs the adapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGvefpwx6D0

Lesson learned > If it has a lever, you need a baffle.
Or get an adapter without the lever, but with that release button in the first place.

http://www.foto-morgen.de/img/t_147400_fp24_big.jpg

Frank

allantab
06-29-2011, 06:18 AM
Thanks Frank. Do you have a link to the adapter that has the light leak, and a link to a replacement adapter?

Postmaster
06-29-2011, 06:21 AM
The leaky adapter is called "Kivi" and it has a Kiwi bird as a logo - no link, bought it localy.

The replacement is from German Ebay and just an example for an adapter without lever, but a button.
Since the sub $100 adapters are all made in China, you probably can find it all over the web.

Frank

thxdave
06-29-2011, 06:24 AM
That was pretty amazing to see. The dark stripe was the ONLY part of the chip that wasn't getting nailed by the light leak in that adapter.

DM_rider
06-29-2011, 07:07 AM
This happened with my fotodiox adapter as well. I placed a piece of gaff tape along the inside and that took care of it.

Postmaster
06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Oh uh... Oh-kay - http://www.ask1.org/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

So itīs not a "cheap China junk" problem.

An other lesson learned.

moldcad
06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah... and I was wondering why the $240 Novoflex looks like threaded inside (being a simple, FD->NEX adaptor)...

DC EX1
06-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Is anyone running into strange reflections and more or less mirror images when filming through a pane of glass... even with a polarizer...

Let's say I'm filming from inside a room with lower light and filming the world outside (day light) through a window, I am seeing a reflected image of the window floating around, when I remove the UV filter from the nikon lens it takes away the reflection somewhat but it's still pretty visible... not sure what this is but I have a feeling it has to do with the space between the rear element of the lens and the cheap Bower nikon > Nex adapter I'm using, anyone else having these problems?:undecided

Rick Burnett
06-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Is anyone running into strange reflections and more or less mirror images when filming through a pane of glass... even with a polarizer...

Let's say I'm filming from inside a room with lower light and filming the world outside (day light) through a window, I am seeing a reflected image of the window floating around, when I remove the UV filter from the nikon lens it takes away the reflection somewhat but it's still pretty visible... not sure what this is but I have a feeling it has to do with the space between the rear element of the lens and the cheap Bower nikon > Nex adapter I'm using, anyone else having these problems?:undecided

Not having the problem.

NVentive
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not having that prob either, but i just discovered another. I was developing some slack in the mount of one of my cheap-o lens adapters, and was writing it off as "probably inevitable, considering..."
Just a few minutes ago I was prepping everything for a shoot and noticed that the slack was getting pretty bad, so I decided to take that adapter off and see what was up. Surprise -- the thing would not turn loose of the lens. Finally got it off and discovered that the three little screws that go thru the front of the thing (clearly visible in the pic above) had worked their way loose and the whole mount was just flopping around inside the barrel. With the mount loose, it is hard for the release pin to disengage, which could have been a lot of fun out on location. Add one more thing to the maintenance list.....

Amos Kim
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
hey moldcad, does the novoflex have some kind of light leak protection or baffle? what do you mean by threading inside? Or does it have a button instead of lever?

moldcad
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Rather than being just a smooth tube whose inner surface might reflect light leaked in, it has what looks like a thread. Works the same way baffles do.

Amos Kim
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
hmm... interesting, I wonder how well those threads work compared to an actual baffle. Does the novoflex have a button or lever lens release?

speedracerlo
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM

I have had that problem too while on a music video shoot
I had some lights shining directly into my camera and there were some ghosting images of the light floating around on top of the image
I found out that the combination of a UV filter I had screwed on + the ND filter/PL filters I had on my mattebox was causing this

The reason: CMOS Sensors are shiny like a mirror and if you shine a light directly at it, it will bounce back and hit the UV/ND/PL filter whatever you have and then if that filter is a cheap filter without non-reflective coating, then it reflects back the light from the sensor and causes ghosting

David G. Smith
06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
I had some lights shining directly into my camera and there were some ghosting images of the light floating around on top of the image
I found out that the combination of a UV filter I had screwed on + the ND filter/PL filters I had on my mattebox was causing this

The reason: CMOS Sensors are shiny like a mirror and if you shine a light directly at it, it will bounce back and hit the UV/ND/PL filter whatever you have and then if that filter is a cheap filter without non-reflective coating, then it reflects back the light from the sensor and causes ghosting

I have run into ghosting with the FS100 even when not using filters. I got the ghastly green reflections from bright lights shining into the lens while shooting with available light at night. I think that the short focal to flange distance on the E-mount is going to make this a particular issue with these types of cameras.

On the cheap adaptors, though. I have a low cost China made, US distributed, mount that so far seems to be working fine; with no noticeable light leak issue. It has a button like the on in the OP. I have not had a shot where I had strong sunlight shining on the adaptor, so I am going to try and set up something like that today or tomorrow. Good looking out Frank.

DC EX1
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Good call, yeah I noticed when I removed the filters (cheap-o) and pola the reflection deminished... CMOS is a sensitive little baby.

Rick Burnett
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Good call, yeah I noticed when I removed the filters (cheap-o) and pola the reflection deminished... CMOS is a sensitive little baby.

This is a problem the cheaper your filter. I was at a camera shop and tried EVERY UV filter they had from cheap to REALLY EXPENSIVE. I could see the reflections on all the cheap ones in my tests and none from the $80 up. At night, I remove all filters. It's just safer.

bkmvincent
06-30-2011, 05:14 PM

Yes! I'm having that EXACT problem. I'm using the fotodiox adapter. Now after reading through the thread it's because they're cheap Hoya UV filters that I'm using.