PDA

View Full Version : A Silly Question About ND Filter Order

C.A.Magid
06-28-2011, 10:05 PM
In traditional broadcast cameras ND filters live behind the lens.

When using ND filters as required by the FS100 they are placed in front of the lens.

However since we usually use a variety of filters via Mattebox in our rigs and since ND filters may need more adjustment than others the ND may actually be the first item in a filter "stack".

There arent too many true 3 stage matte boxes to allow easy swapping of all 4x4s. If we were to use something like an O'Connor O-box with a pro mist living in the 138mm stage closest to the lens, with a blue grad or sunset in front of that and a ND up front are we in a less optimum config than having the ND closest to the lens with the other filters in front of it.

I can see needing adjust ND strength and would rather not have it buried inside the circular holder.

Doctor Wu
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Professional standard practice is to put diffusion like a Promist closest to the lens. Grads / coloration and NDs - I've seen them placed in either order after diffusion.

In traditional broadcast cameras ND filters live behind the lens.

When using ND filters as required by the FS100 they are placed in front of the lens.

However since we usually use a variety of filters via Mattebox in our rigs and since ND filters may need more adjustment than others the ND may actually be the first item in a filter "stack".

There arent too many true 3 stage matte boxes to allow easy swapping of all 4x4s. If we were to use something like an O'Connor O-box with a pro mist living in the 138mm stage closest to the lens, with a blue grad or sunset in front of that and a ND up front are we in a less optimum config than having the ND closest to the lens with the other filters in front of it.

I can see needing adjust ND strength and would rather not have it buried inside the circular holder.