PDA

View Full Version : Sony FS100 and red tint

max258
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Hello users, I see in my videos the red tint.
This red tint is in base settings (day light).
Can the tint be reduced with profiles?
If yes where is the setting to reduce red component?

Test somebody the camera colors?
The red is in europe model up (base setting)

Rick Burnett
06-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I never saw any red tint with my FS100. There are picture profile settings that can affect the tone, I'd check to make sure they are not engaged and/or find out how to do a factory reset and make sure you are starting from scratch.

FelixGER
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
WB Shift in the picture profiles is a good option

max258
06-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Not really good option.
WB up couses only yellow component up. Not red tint down.
Maybe can be set up this in picture profiles.
I send there my test at evening.
I decide buy it or not but with the tint isnt good for me.
With 8 bit color goes my smile down too :( but nothing better now...

FelixGER
06-25-2011, 08:06 AM
I donīt mean a general Wb Shift.
Look at page 42 of the manual. As I said, itīs in the picture profiles.

"[LB[COLOR TEMP]] Sets a color temperature offset value.
-9 (bluish) to +9 (reddish)"

Or:

"[CC[MG/GR]] Sets a color correct offset value.
-9 (greenish) to +9 (magentish)"

Also "Color Phase" looks like a good option.
"-7 (greenish) to +7 (reddish)"

DM_rider
06-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I found the same thing. I was able to get around it with the phase and wb shift.

max258
06-26-2011, 09:50 AM
There is my test: http://vimeo.com/25624225

If you known how to reduce red tint on skin color, public your picture test before and after correction please.

PaPa
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
i actually prefer the look of the middle test the most.

FelixGER
06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
GH2 is just greener.

max258
06-26-2011, 12:24 PM
When I compare what i see in my eye live and the recorded picture the smallest diferences is in GH2, the second is more red, the third is better but also red tint in face.
I dont understand the red in face.

i actually prefer the look of the middle test the most.

speedracerlo
06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
are you using the same lens on both cameras?

max258
06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Maybe little green but this is very little, little diferences with live.
But the Sony has extremly red in the test. I see it on big plasma (Panasonic TX-P50GT30) and i see differences.
Maybe can be done with profiles I dont know. And when I change profile, what is doing with white color?...
Send some videos with changed profiles, I want be suprised :)

PS: sony was new, unboxed and tested. No changing before.

GH2 is just greener.

max258
06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
No I use the base lenses in both cameras:
Then:
In GH2 is it: Lumix 14-42
In sony is it: SEL 18-200

PS when I buy camera I buy the sony with the base lens.

are you using the same lens on both cameras?

nyvz
06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
There is my test: http://vimeo.com/25624225

If you known how to reduce red tint on skin color, public your picture test before and after correction please.

This means very little without any information regarding picture profiles and film modes and white balance and lighting.

max258
06-26-2011, 01:09 PM
The camera was new - factory settings (no custom profile).
Day light .
I compare it live with plasma Panasonic TX-P50GT30E, my eye and GH2.
In factory settings I saw more red in Sony then I saw live.
1st GH2
2nd Sony AWB
3rd Sony manual WB (no push up/down)

Ive been suprised, becouse I saw it live and with the camera red tint.

This means very little without any information regarding picture profiles and film modes and white balance and lighting.

nyvz
06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
So they were not white balanced or framed the same? There's your first problem. And you used Standard gamma/matrix and standard film mode? Cameras will always look different, but you can make them look very close if you use custom picture styles properly. Seems like this is not really an issue, it is not surprising that two very different cameras' awb and stock picture settings would give you a pretty different image result. If you don't like one, adjust it to your liking.

max258
06-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes as you told all the standards, most interesting is for me sony and my eye.
No looking in other cameras.
The main question is: Is sony close to my eye or not?
I think in manufactury settings not.
I test awb, manual wb, shift up/down and nothing closer to my eye.
My eye said: what this red tint...
But of course I don't test the picture profiles, that can be done with it. I don't know.

So they were not white balanced or framed the same? There's your first problem. And you used Standard gamma/matrix and standard film mode? Cameras will always look different, but you can make them look very close if you use custom picture styles properly. Seems like this is not really an issue, it is not surprising that two very different cameras' awb and stock picture settings would give you a pretty different image result. If you don't like one, adjust it to your liking.

speedracerlo
06-26-2011, 01:40 PM
you can't compare different lenses and their color rendition
some lenses render skintones differently
it makes no sense when you compare two different cameras with different lenses

max258
06-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Different cameras shown color skin miscellaneous, and we can show which one is closer to realitty.
Becouse we have made visualy compare this.
The question is: If can FS 100 setting closer to reality visualy compared?

you can't compare different lenses and their color rendition
some lenses render skintones differently
it makes no sense when you compare two different cameras with different lenses

Rick Burnett
06-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I looked at your footage and I think the GH2 footage has too much of a yellow component to it, which is what I've seen with GH2 footage before. I shot last weekend with my FS100 and the actors faces looked perfect to what I was seeing. We actually shot with both an FS100 and a 7D and the difference in color rendition was amazing. If anything I'd say that by default, the FS100 saturates more on all the colors just like the AF100 does. You can go in and lower that if you want a less saturated image, which is what I see on the GH2 as well.

You REALLY need to go in and look at the picture profiles and tune the image you want. With all cameras, you are just getting one rendition of what someone likes. You might not like this, but, it doesn't mean you don't have the power to really tune the camera into the seeings you want. Hook the camera up to the big screen and start tweaking. I think you will be AMAZED at what you get.

Sure, 8-bit is a limitation, but I'm not seeing it being a limitation in your case. I think it goes almost without saying that professionals spend a lot of time tweaking cameras to what they want, and that is different with most people. With 8-bit, it's a given that you need to tweak the camera closer to what you want in post so you grade less. It takes time, but you will like yourself more for it as you WILL understand the color dynamics of the camera.

My AF100 made people look more orange out of the box, but I pulled down the color and it looks great now. Get into those picture profiles and start playing! :)

stevedocmaker
06-28-2011, 10:57 PM
I've just had mine a few hours, but I noticed a strong red shift "out of the box" (default picture profile). I was comparing the image to an AF100 which I have found to be VERY accurate when white balanced properly. The FS100 was set to Auto white balance. Next I tried a manual color temperature input, and there was a slight red/warm shift. Then I performed a white balance using a grey card (seems more reliable than a white card) and presto, the shift disappeared. My guess is your red shift is a result of poor white balance, and a slight yellow/warm shift in the GH2.