PDA

View Full Version : Would a Samyang/Pro-Optic/Rokinon/Bower/whatever 8mm f/3.5 fisheye (Nikon) vignette?

mandrean
06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Would the notorious $290 8mm f/3.5 fisheye with a Nikon F mount and adapter vignette on a FS100?

There is a native Sony E version: http://www.samyang.pl/product,163,category,5,samyang_8mm_f35_fisheye_cs_ vg10

And the description says: "Due to the camcorder's one-off construction, the bayonet mount was carefully adjusted to ensure possibly widest field of vision and prevent vignetting."

I would prefer a Nikon F version though so I can use it on other cameras as well.

So, does it vignette?

J Michael
06-23-2011, 03:58 AM
You might check the lens image sample archive at photography-on-the.net forum. It's a Canon site so look for something shot on a 7D.

jetswing
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
It does not vignette. The below video was shot with a Rebel. FS100 has a slightly larger sensor so it would have even less chance of vignetting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnoLocQoJkU

speedracerlo
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
wrong assumption
larger sensor = more vignetting

but chances are, if it doesn't vignette on APS-C (1.6x) then it won't on S35(1.5x)

mandrean
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Isn't Nikon APS-C 1.5x and Canon 1.6x? Or something like that. So I'm guessing it's fine. Just Samyang looking to make some extra money.

speedracerlo
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Isn't Nikon APS-C 1.5x and Canon 1.6x? Or something like that. So I'm guessing it's fine. Just Samyang looking to make some extra money.

you're right

gilzoo
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Has anyone used the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm with an Adorama EOS to NEX adapter? Seems to vignette on the top right and bottom left corners - Think I'm seeing the edges of the lens hood. It's probably an issue with the adapter as it mounts the lens upside down with the witness marks on the bottom. Does the 8mm have to be aligned in a certain direction in order to avoid seeing the lens hood?

mandrean
07-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Has anyone used the Samyang/Rokinon 8mm with an Adorama EOS to NEX adapter? Seems to vignette on the top right and bottom left corners - Think I'm seeing the edges of the lens hood. It's probably an issue with the adapter as it mounts the lens upside down with the witness marks on the bottom. Does the 8mm have to be aligned in a certain direction in order to avoid seeing the lens hood?So Adorama sells up-side-down adaptors? Good to know.

I got my 8mm Samyang with a Nikon mount today. Gonna check out if it vignettes or not as soon as I get a Nikon-to-NEX adaptor.

mandrean
07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Got the Nikon-NEX adaptor today. The 8mm fisheye seems great on the FS100. Can't wait to shoot some music videos with it.

No vignetting or anything with the Nikon-NEX adaptor.