PDA

View Full Version : FS100 dynamic range, not as much as expected ¿?

Tony Hernandez
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Color contrast, cine tone, gamma,..
I'm not an expert but i think it is called dynamic range, where i mean the contrast of the colors, the cine tone, the default look of the recorded shoots.

I'd shoot with both GH2 and FS100 and i'm surprised, cause i see more contrast, more cine look by default on the GH2 than the FS100. I'd try all picture profiles on FS100 but looks not as much as GH2.

Am i wrong ?

What can be tuned in FS100 to be more cinematic color (saturated greens, etc ..), cause i tried all PP but none was convinced me ?

Am i wrong or by default the GH2 gets more color (like cine) inensity ?

I see clips from GH2, FS100 and F3 and i think that the F3 is more like GH2 (more color range, more contrast) but not the FS100. Now i don't have here the GH2, can anyone post some clips comparison (default non graded) of GH2 vs FS100?

What can i do to make the FS100 rec more like a cinema (contrast)

maarek
06-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Less contrast is better = more dynamic range.

Postmaster
06-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Tony, the picture profiles are only examples, but you have to tweak them to your taste.
PP6 is probably closest, to what you are looking for - "Cinematic" look, right out of the camera.
If you want more color, go to the color depth menu and set everything to +7.
If you want greenish shadows set the "R-gain" in the WB shift menu to a negative number (like -4) or even more saturation, that´s in the color phase and color level menus.

Most of us DPs prefer to have as much room as possible to play with in postproduction.
That means you shoot with low contrast and the widest possible dynamic range the camera can do.
Those material looks awful milky and pale, but gives you a lot of room to tune it to your taste.

Frank

morgan_moore
06-23-2011, 03:16 AM
Less contrast is better = more dynamic range.

And less ability to resolve differences in light levels ?

Vinnie
06-26-2011, 03:45 AM
http://vimeo.com/25589506

- that preset seems to handle highlights pretty well