PDA

View Full Version : Which memory cards?

davidwinters
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Picking up a FS100 for a shoot next week. What memory cards should we shoot on? We will be purchasing the cards. What are the beneftits of Sony Memory stick DUO vs popular SDHC card vs SDXC? Do they all fit in the same card slot, which ships stock on the camera?

Please advise.

jetswing
06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
FS100 doesn't come with a card. I would recommend a class 10 SDHC card.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS32GSDHC10E/dp/B003VNKNF0

FelixGER
06-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I used my Verbatim 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Cards on my NX5 (same codec). They are absolutely fine and never produced any write errors on any device.
And they´re cheap.

davidwinters
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Sales rep at Able Cine said the Class 6 SDHC are ok to use as well. Good to hear the same on here. How much runtime on a 32g card? 1080p24.

Thanks

Richard Allen Crook
06-22-2011, 07:32 PM
The manual states that a class 10 and above is recommended. I just bought the Transcend ones...seem to be fine. And as far as I know, the sd card is a better way to go instead of the sticks.

davidwinters
06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Ok, ordered two Transcend SDHC 16GB class 10. 32GB... almost 3 hours of RT on one card, makes me nervous. So, I'm going to stick with 16GB for now.

While I have your attention, what batteries and additional changers do you all recommend? Batts which are compatabile with the existing battery mount on the camera.

Thanks for all the fast reply. Wow, I'm a DVX member since Sept 2006 and posts 2-4 were today.

Richard Allen Crook
06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah I got 4 eight gig cards since my workflow involves swapping and backing up cards sooner rather than later. But most of all, I just don't trust my footage to these flimsy little plastic fingernails! :)

jetswing
06-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok, ordered two Transcend SDHC 16GB class 10. 32GB... almost 3 hours of RT on one card, makes me nervous. So, I'm going to stick with 16GB for now.

While I have your attention, what batteries and additional changers do you all recommend? Batts which are compatabile with the existing battery mount on the camera.

Thanks for all the fast reply. Wow, I'm a DVX member since Sept 2006 and posts 2-4 were today.

Here's a charger. A bit pricy but it's a dual charger and comes with a plug for a car.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Y2WMG

As far as the batteries, be careful you don't end up with a counterfeit.

Rick Burnett
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I use the Transcend 16 and 32 Gb class 10 cards, no problems either.

Kraut69
06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Rick, I assume your class 10 Transcend cards are the ones rated 20MBps?

Rick Burnett
06-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I have no idea, it's been awhile since I bought them. I got them off of Amazon and have used them on both the AF100 and FS100 with no problems since the AF100 released.

NeedCreative
06-24-2011, 05:58 AM
This is a bit me-too at this point but I use Class 10 Trendscend cards and have used Trendscend SD and CF cards for a few years now with no issues. They perform well, seem to work with everything, have a liftime warranty.

Kraut69
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I just got the LEXAR 128GB card ($249 from B&H), class 10, 20MBPS (not 30MBPS like SANDISK), passed the first test--over 12 hours of 1080-30P FX recorded. I don't think I'm risking a lot with so much on one card, as I have the 128GB HMU Sony unit for backup. Plus I think not having to ever remove a card eliminates chances for losing a card, or breaking a card, inserting it wrong in a haste on a job and screwing things up.

AndyInBuffalo
07-28-2011, 08:31 AM
The manual states that a class 10 and above is recommended. I just bought the Transcend ones...seem to be fine. And as far as I know, the sd card is a better way to go instead of the sticks.

I just checked the manual, which recommends cards "Class 4 or faster" and cards "Class 10" with Slow and Quick Motion recording.

AndyInBuffalo
07-28-2011, 09:08 AM
I just got off the phone with Sony Telephone Technical Assistance. According to the guy I spoke with, Sony has tested the Sandisk Class 6 card and subsequently recommended it for use with the FS100. They have tried other cards and found missing frames at Start and Stop. Class 10 is recommended for use with Slow or Quick Motion.

The phone number in the U.S. is: 866-766-9272

jetswing
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I just got off the phone with Sony Telephone Technical Assistance. According to the guy I spoke with, Sony has tested the Sandisk Class 6 card and subsequently recommended it for use with the FS100. They have tried other cards and found missing frames at Start and Stop. Class 10 is recommended for use with Slow or Quick Motion.

The phone number in the U.S. is: 866-766-9272
How nice of Sony to keep us informed.....!! I've had this happen while shooting a long (2-3 min) S&Q footage. While reviewing the shoot at home, I had noticed a chunk footage at the end of the clip was missing, doh!!! Sony needs to fix this!

Thanks for the info.

AndyInBuffalo
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
How nice of Sony to keep us informed.....!! I've had this happen while shooting a long (2-3 min) S&Q footage. While reviewing the shoot at home, I had noticed a chunk footage at the end of the clip was missing, doh!!! Sony needs to fix this!

Thanks for the info.

jetswing, What class and make card were you using ? Also, are you sure you waited to turn the camera off until the access light stopped flashing ?

jetswing
07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
jetswing, What class and make card were you using ? Also, are you sure you waited to turn the camera off until the access light stopped flashing ?
I'm using Transcend 32gb class 10 cards. I don't ever turn off the camera unless it's the end of the day or changing out the battery/SD card. The fact that I might have prematurely stopped the camera writing to the card have crossed my mind but I did assumed it had something to do with the S&Q mode. Also, doesn't the camera lock down while storing the S&Q footage?

Since then, I try not to roll to long in S&Q mode and also let it roll for a bit longer after the action had stopped.

AndyInBuffalo
07-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone out there have good experiences with Class 6 cards in modes other than S&Q ? I'm tempted since the price difference btwn. Class 10 and 6 is significant.

legrevedotcom
07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I just bought two Transcend class 10 16gb cards. They work perfectly fine... Also did nicely unloading the cards through the Macbook Pros build in SD card reader.

harrisoncj
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
My favorite card is my 16 gig Hoodman RawSteel class 10 card. It's metal plated, so breaking it is one less thing I have to worry about.

tscav
10-27-2011, 09:42 AM
CARD ERROR!
Hi I'm hoping this is the right place to post:

I'm using two 32gig kingston 100x ultimate cards. While I've never had any problems while recording, i very often get this message: "Inconsistencies found in the image database file. Back up and recover." etc. ..

It gives me the option to recover by pressing OK - or to Cancel. I always do the latter, then turn of the cam, back up to a computer, stick it back in and do a format in the camera, and im running again. It never resulted in any actual lost data - everything was always there when I connect to a computer.

BUT as said, it happens quite often, and makes my heart jump a bit every time (!)- and of course it implies the hassle of having to bring a laptop everywhere. It always happens when it has been powered off btw, never when I just leave it on.

Any takes on what causes this? Is it my cards, my particular camera or is it a common thing??
All help is greatly appreciated!

bimdas
10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
CARD ERROR!
Hi I'm hoping this is the right place to post:

I'm using two 32gig kingston 100x ultimate cards. While I've never had any problems while recording, i very often get this message: "Inconsistencies found in the image database file. Back up and recover." etc. ..

It gives me the option to recover by pressing OK - or to Cancel. I always do the latter, then turn of the cam, back up to a computer, stick it back in and do a format in the camera, and im running again. It never resulted in any actual lost data - everything was always there when I connect to a computer.

BUT as said, it happens quite often, and makes my heart jump a bit every time (!)- and of course it implies the hassle of having to bring a laptop everywhere. It always happens when it has been powered off btw, never when I just leave it on.

Any takes on what causes this? Is it my cards, my particular camera or is it a common thing??
All help is greatly appreciated!

I had that message happen once. When my old NP-f960 battery went from 30% to zero and the camera turned off without being able to finalize the video file. Just like you, the video file was still there except the camera couldn't read it.
If this is happening all the time, I'd suggest getting rid of your cards and replacing with more reliable ones. There seems to be some kind of write error happening at the end of the clip. I use the Transcend 32gb class 10 cards and havent had a problem yet.

eheath
10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm using a scandisk extreme pro 45mbps 32gb card. Definitely worth having a nice card.

tscav
10-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you for the quick reply. Closed my eyes and went fro the most expensive - the sandisk extreme 45mbps. Damn sure hope its works. if not it is the cam, plus im stuck with 3x32gb app 8 hours of card space.:0.
Ill report back if it doesn't work. If there is no mo trouble, I'll assume it was the card. :)

Phil1076
10-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Just remember that there's a difference between MB/s and mbps.

AVCHD is around 21mbps...which is around 2.4 MB/s.

SD cards are rated at MB/s...so don't worry...any Class 10 card will work just fine. The only real reason you would want Sandisk Extremes is for the proven track record of reliability and perhaps a faster read time in a USB 3.0 card reader. Otherwise, there's no difference.

Remember, AVCHD 21mbps is only about 2.4 Megabytes/sec.

As far as the Kingston Card Error is concerned...I'm not sure why you'd even risk using those cards again. Kingston's quality is sketchy at best; dump them and get another brand.

roblc12
10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm gonna recommend this bad boy, don't worry it's compatible. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/756124-REG/Lexar_LSD128CRBNA133_128GB_Professional_SDXC_Card. html

Postmaster
10-28-2011, 12:15 AM
I wonder why you guys use such big cards.

I have nothing but 8GB cards, cause in a worst case scenario, I loose only 30 to 45 minutes of material (bad enough).
But risking to loose a whole day of shooting, just to save a few seconds of changing cards seems not the best idea to me.

Are you guys only shooting concerts and stuff like that?

Frank

bimdas
10-28-2011, 08:00 AM
I also have a Fmu128 for back-up so I'm not too worried. Im actually thinking about the 64gb cards so I don't have to change at all. I shoot evrything but its the corporate work that is paying for everything.

rcteague
10-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Transend 8g's and 128g FMU you really cant go wrong. I've had 2 sandisk fail on me with my EX1r. I'm sure that's not indicative of all sandisk but... Transend cards which I've used in both the EX1r and EX3 and FS100 have never failed me+
and this is the biggest + $14.99 for and 8G on Amazon
Give them a try ya wont be disappointed. Oh yeah 5d Sandisk compact flash card FAIL also, just saying

bimdas
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I always fill each card about half way as well. I find that especially with my CF cards, performance dwindles towards the end of the card's capacity so I always keep a bit of a size buffer there. So for a 32gb card I'm usually using about 16-20gbs.

Phil1076
11-01-2011, 06:09 AM
I always fill each card about half way as well. I find that especially with my CF cards, performance dwindles towards the end of the card's capacity so I always keep a bit of a size buffer there. So for a 32gb card I'm usually using about 16-20gbs.

??

I'm curious how you test this perceived loss of performance...It's amazing how much crazy "voodoo" there is out there. This is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Regarding 8GB cards, they are unusable for any long form recording (concerts, weddings, etc etc). I usually use 32GB cards and, starting next year, will be using an AC130/160 so it will be recording to 2 cards at once.

bimdas
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
??

I'm curious how you test this perceived loss of performance...It's amazing how much crazy "voodoo" there is out there. This is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Regarding 8GB cards, they are unusable for any long form recording (concerts, weddings, etc etc). I usually use 32GB cards and, starting next year, will be using an AC130/160 so it will be recording to 2 cards at once.

It's common in regular hard-drives, the more full they get, the slower the data rate. You can find that out by using benchmarking software like hdtach. I'm probably totally off but I just figured it would be the same with SD and CF cards.
Plus when I was shooting with a 7d, towards the end of the card, i'd get more clips that would stop recording early. I figured it was something to do with the card nearing its capacity.

Swispro
11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm suprised I never see anyone using the "Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo"? I bought a 32G when I got my FS100. It's cheaper than a SD 32G with the same speed. I haven't had any problems with mine. Does anyone know of any problems with the Memory Sticks?

LanceOregon
11-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm suprised I never see anyone using the "Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo"? I bought a 32G when I got my FS100. It's cheaper than a SD 32G with the same speed. I haven't had any problems with mine. Does anyone know of any problems with the Memory Sticks?

That is not a true statement about the Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo being cheaper. Right now, one can buy a 32GB Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo with 30 MB speed at B&H Photo for $102

However, B&H also has a 32GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 also rated at 30MB/s selling for only $53. That is almost half the price of the Memory Stick.

It is definitely more expensive than using SDHC cards in the same speed category.

Chris Johnston
11-02-2011, 05:10 PM
It's common in regular hard-drives, the more full they get, the slower the data rate. You can find that out by using benchmarking software like hdtach. I'm probably totally off but I just figured it would be the same with SD and CF cards.
Plus when I was shooting with a 7d, towards the end of the card, i'd get more clips that would stop recording early. I figured it was something to do with the card nearing its capacity.

In simple form, hard drives slow down because they tend to write from the outside edge to the inside edge. since the outside (writable) edge moves by the head at a faster rate, it reads/writes at a faster rate. as the disk fills up and more data gets written, it starts writing closer to the center of the disk where the blocks move by the head at a slower rate. Cards don't have that problem.

AtticusLake
11-02-2011, 05:38 PM
It's common in regular hard-drives, the more full they get, the slower the data rate... I'm probably totally off but I just figured it would be the same with SD and CF cards.

It's worse... much worse. Flash memory is REALLY nasty to work with... most cards can only physically write a block of 4MB or 8MB at a time. Yes, that's MEGABYTES.

The controller (the one built into the card) tries to mask this by clever use of cacheing in RAM (also built into the card). How good a job it does depends on how much RAM it has, and how sophisticated the controller is.

Phil1076
11-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Sure, it's common in regular drives...a regular drive spins at a fixed rate; say, 7200rpm....as you get closer to the center of the drive, the platters get smaller and smaller while the RPM is the same. Therefore, the access time is slower than the outer, larger portions of the disk.

When you read a CD/DVD, the information on the area closest to the center will be read slower than the information in the outer part of the disc.

Solid State/CF/SD cards do not have internal spinning components and are not mechanical so these characteristics do not apply at all.

Phil1076
11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
It's worse... much worse. Flash memory is REALLY nasty to work with... most cards can only physically write a block of 4MB or 8MB at a time. Yes, that's MEGABYTES.

The controller (the one built into the card) tries to mask this by clever use of cacheing in RAM (also built into the card). How good a job it does depends on how much RAM it has, and how sophisticated the controller is.

This has nothing to do with the fact that it's a flash device. It has to do with the block size of the filesystem you're using and no, it doesn't write 4MB or 8MB at a time....the default block size for FAT32 is 4Kb.

NorBro
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
If anyone knows Lloyd Chambers around here...he has dozens and dozens of amazing articles about all kinds of stuff.. http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html

I read one a while back (regarding hard drives and SSD) that for best performance (and I hope I'm remembering this correctly)...it's good to use your regular spinning hard drives up to 50% and your SSD up to 90%.

Not sure if the same principle applies to SDHC cards.

Either way...I have always repeatedly filled up all my cards to the last minute and I have NEVER had a problem.

Knock on wood? Who cares! Because now I use one of these! haha

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672424-REG/Sony_HXR_FMU128_HXR_FMU128_Flash_Memory_Unit.html

bimdas
11-03-2011, 06:29 PM
This has nothing to do with the fact that it's a flash device. It has to do with the block size of the filesystem you're using and no, it doesn't write 4MB or 8MB at a time....the default block size for FAT32 is 4Kb.

sounds like someones done a bit of googling.
Regardless, I've had personal experience with clips ending early as the capacity is nearly filled. So I take that into account from now on.