PDA

View Full Version : FS100 Video "Soleil's Spring"

TMDFilms
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Hello,

Here is my first FS100 video. (It's mostly outdoor testing.) This camera rocks! I still have some work to do on picture profiles. I don't think I can just have one PP for outside and one for inside much like my EX1.

Soleil's Spring (http://vimeo.com/25457250)

Comments and critiques are welcome!
Thanks, Damon

Neex
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Looks great!

You say you have a ways to go to get the best image from the camera. What are you thinking you'll do? What weaknesses did you find from this shoot?

Shots look great, btw.

cheezweezl
06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
nice job. what kind of slider/dolly/whatever are you using here?

thxdave
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Beautifully done, Damon. Was that a jib shot in there too?

speedracerlo
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
looks great, almost HDR like
whats wrong with the jittery slides in the beginning?

rgdfilms
06-22-2011, 09:38 PM
This is by far the BEST looking example of what the FS100 can do in proper hands so far. Great work!

TMDFilms
06-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks guys!

You say you have a ways to go to get the best image from the camera. What are you thinking you'll do? What weaknesses did you find from this shoot?

I just got the camera a few days before I shot this. I'm still trying to figure out what does what in the picture profiles. As for weaknesses, that would be me. This is a great tool, I just need to learn how to use it properly.

cheezweezl
nice job. what kind of slider/dolly/whatever are you using here?

It's the Kessler Pocketdolly V2. It does a pretty good job.

thxdave
Beautifully done, Damon. Was that a jib shot in there too

Just used a tripod head and the Pocketdolly. Not sure which shot looks like a jib shot?

speedracerlo
looks great, almost HDR like
whats wrong with the jittery slides in the beginning?

I'm not seeing the jitter. Are they huge drops or micro stutters?

Thanks again guys. And thanks too all who have contributed valuable information on this camera. These are fun and sometimes nerve-racking times when we get to play with new toys.

Damon

speedracerlo
06-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I watched it again and theres no jittery slide, it was vimeo
looks awesome

HVXguy
06-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Nice color rendition. What lens or lenses are you using?

Rick Burnett
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Looks great. One thing I absolutely love about my FS100 is how it handles wide shots. Your wide shots were fantastic (as with the rest of it as well!)

AlexMacP
06-23-2011, 01:42 AM
The footage seems to have a magenta cast on my calibrated monitor. Is that the camera or intentional?

Postmaster
06-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Awesome! What framerate and shutter speed did you use?

Frank

Richard Allen Crook
06-23-2011, 08:24 AM
What was your color workflow...did you color grade this at all? What is your profile setting?

But let me say...it's not just the camera...it's mostly the person operating it! Great job! Wow!

TMDFilms
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM
HVXguy
Nice color rendition. What lens or lenses are you using?I used the Nikon 17-35mm and 80-200mm f/2.8.

Rick Burnett
Looks great. One thing I absolutely love about my FS100 is how it handles wide shots. Your wide shots were fantastic (as with the rest of it as well!)

I agree, if I nail the focus, wide shots look beautiful with this camera.

AlexMacP
The footage seems to have a magenta cast on my calibrated monitor. Is that the camera or intentional?
I am unable to confirm the magenta cast. The footage has been color graded in FCP.

Postmaster
Awesome! What framerate and shutter speed did you use?It's all 24p at 1/48th.

Texas Jones
What was your color workflow...did you color grade this at all? What is your profile setting?
But let me say...it's not just the camera...it's mostly the person operating it! Great job! Wow!
I transcoded all the footage to 422LT in FCP. Corrected and slightly graded in FCP. I was constantly changing the profile settings through-out the day. Mostly switching between cinetone1 and itu709. I also adjusted the black level and gamma level through-out the day. So, in other words, I didn't have one single setting.

Thanks again everyone!
Damon

GaryinCalifornia
06-23-2011, 04:52 PM
great work... makes me want to go out and start shooting my western...

NeedCreative
06-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Some of the nicer shots I've seen, shows the potential of the camera. And I bet the uncompressed (i.e, non-vimeo version) looks even better! Good stuff.

ectobuilder
06-25-2011, 02:22 AM
Love the colour and the overall cinematography, great work!

Just one thing I wanted to point out, at 01:24, notice the moire on the bottom of the scene. This is the second example of moire I've seen on the FS100, the first was on neon lights.

TMDFilms
06-25-2011, 03:22 PM
ectobuilder
Just one thing I wanted to point out, at 01:24, notice the moire on the bottom of the scene. This is the second example of moire I've seen on the FS100, the first was on neon lights.
For the shot at 01:24, there is minor color moire on the branch. And I mean very minor. (I'm looking at the 422 file.) This camera does produce some sort of color moire, but I'm not sure if it's codec artifacting or color moire. But again, it is very minor. Especially compared to DSLRs.
Damon

NeedCreative
06-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I stared at that branch, I could see it but barely. The average person, heck most people, would think it was part of the branch color. No where close to as bad as DSLRS. Virtually inconsequential to be honest.

Rick Burnett
06-27-2011, 10:41 AM

I could not see it for the life of me and I tried! Maybe a screen shot pointing it out! :) I've seen charts with FS100 moire patterns, but I have not been able to see them yet with anything I have shot with my FS100. I just want to see what the level people are talking about. Believe me, I know Canon Moire and that is not something that is subjective! :)