PDA

View Full Version : Sony Nex FS100 Color graded sample footage

syberfilm
06-21-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLcbZBDp7HI

Shot with a flat picture profile.

Color graded in Premiere with Colorista.

Lens Nikon 58mm F/1.2

Neex
06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Looks nice. What picture profile did you use?

syberfilm
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Profile here
Profile Settings (PP6)
Black Level: +15
Gamma: ITU709
Black Gamma: Middle/ +7
Color Mode: Cinematone 1/ 8
Color Level: -2

Neex
06-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks! What are your knee settings?

Richard Allen Crook
06-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Great job. Kudos on finding a nice flat profile. Pretty close to mine, but because of the 8bit codec I slid the black level down a tish to +8. I can't settle on this....I want to go all the way to +15 but I don't want any artifacts in the shadows to pop up. Thoughts?

Neex
06-22-2011, 06:32 PM
If black level is just setting your minimum black point higher, and then fitting your entire luma range between 100% white and the set black level, wouldn't it make sense to set the black level to a spot where the darkest black just barely hits 0? That way you're making full use of the 8 bits of luma info. It doesn't seem like you have anything to gain by setting the black level to a point where the bottom luma values are never used.

Richard Allen Crook
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
If black level is just setting your minimum black point higher, and then fitting your entire luma range between 100% white and the set black level, wouldn't it make sense to set the black level to a spot where the darkest black just barely hits 0? That way you're making full use of the 8 bits of luma info. It doesn't seem like you have anything to gain by setting the black level to a point where the bottom luma values are never used.

Do this: shoot the same subject both ways, one clip with black level at zero, and the other at +15. Then pull both clips into your editor and add a levels effect to each clip and set black level to the same area and darkest area on the screen. You'll notice that there will be more detail and micro-contrasting on the shadows on the clip set to +15 then the other. ;)