PDA

View Full Version : Recording to SD Card vs HXR-FMU128 vs External Recorder vs Rolling Shutter

ectobuilder
06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows the relationship between getting the Rolling Shutter effect and the recording medium?

I am getting some unwanted rolling shutter and I am using the Lexar Professional 133x SD Card.

If I were to change my recording medium to something more robust I wonder if that would decrease the rolling shutter effect.

Steve-O
06-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Nope neither have anything to do with each other. Read up on rolling shutter in the articles section.

ectobuilder
06-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Nope neither have anything to do with each other. Read up on rolling shutter in the articles section.

Sorry I was saying EFFECT. Looks like rolling shutter but I have a hunch that it is the memory card?

Check this footage out and tell me what you think it is:

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/fs100/videos/25299442

In the footage as the cat jumps onto the bed and goes towards the camera you'll see some flickering in the footage. Not sure what that is, from what I read rolling shutter makes a jello effect, but this doesn't look at all like jello.

eheath
06-20-2011, 09:13 PM
rolling shutter is based on the sensor, not the sd card.

eheath
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry I was saying EFFECT. Looks like rolling shutter but I have a hunch that it is the memory card?

Check this footage out and tell me what you think it is:

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/fs100/videos/25299442

In the footage as the cat jumps onto the bed and goes towards the camera you'll see some flickering in the footage. Not sure what that is, from what I read rolling shutter makes a jello effect, but this doesn't look at all like jello.

i dont see what youre talking about there...

ectobuilder
06-20-2011, 09:47 PM
rolling shutter is based on the sensor, not the sd card.

Please have a look at the video on vimeo and please confirm if that is rolling shutter or not.

I've done some tests that match the results of the vimeo footage and would like to confirm my results.

eheath
06-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Please have a look at the video on vimeo and please confirm if that is rolling shutter or not.

I've done some tests that match the results of the vimeo footage and would like to confirm my results.

like i said, i dont see the problem you're describing

ectobuilder
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
hmmm maybe it's my computer, so you see no flickering? It's not a constant flickering, just a flicker here and there, very infrequent.

I think it is my computer.

dustylense
06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
i dont see it etco! All I see in the cat jump is a focus shift...