PDA

View Full Version : Sony FS100 Tone Mapping!!! (HDR

Quad][Light/JeremyHowell
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
First try on Sony FS100 doing some Tone Mapping or also known as (HDR). Havnt found a use for this yet but just testing it out. Let me know what you think... Haha I maybe shouldnt ask what you think on these boards huh... its ok i have tough skin. :cheesy:

http://vimeo.com/25334146

PabloOzzy
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM
lol - um...interesting? I love the potential this effect could have in certain situations, like when he is sitting on the floor in the room it looked very nice. Otherwise its just the norm when it comes to HDR, made worse by motion (as this highlights the ugly side of HDR ie noise, haloing etc etc)

What lens / settings did you shoot it with?

Quad][Light/JeremyHowell
06-19-2011, 11:43 PM
lol - um...interesting? I love the potential this effect could have in certain situations, like when he is sitting on the floor in the room it looked very nice. Otherwise its just the norm when it comes to HDR, made worse by motion (as this highlights the ugly side of HDR ie noise, haloing etc etc)

What lens / settings did you shoot it with?

Thanks, haloing yes thats bugging me latter ill see if i can fix that.. The lens used was a Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Lens, Sony Alpha mount. Lovely thing it is!!! Shot at 24p with 180 degree shutter at 6db, lens was set at 16mm at 5.6.

Rick Burnett
06-19-2011, 11:51 PM
How are you doing high dynamic range if the camera outputs 8-bit? For all the HDR stuff I have done with photography, you bracket your shots so your final image has a HUGE dynamic range. Not that I don't think it's neat looking, because it is (not sure what you would use it for) I just don't understand where the HDR information is coming from.

cheezweezl
06-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I don't think this is true hdr. It looks to me like a tonemapped single image. It has that extreme hdr look but there are crushed shadows and blown highlights that lead me to this theory.

With that said, I think this look is cool if used appropriately. Can you share your workflow? I tried this once by creating an image sequence from video and tonemapping with photomatix. Even though I batched it and used the same setting for every frame, there were brightness changes from frame to frame causing flicker. You seem to have solved this.

jetswing
06-20-2011, 01:29 AM
I don't think this is true hdr. It looks to me like a tonemapped single image. It has that extreme hdr look but there are crushed shadows and blown highlights that lead me to this theory.

With that said, I think this look is cool if used appropriately. Can you share your workflow? I tried this once by creating an image sequence from video and tonemapping with photomatix. Even though I batched it and used the same setting for every frame, there were brightness changes from frame to frame causing flicker. You seem to have solved this.
Yup, it's pretty obvious it's not a true HDR footage. What it looks like to me is just a case of extreme image processing, which yielded a look of HDR but really did not expand the dynamic range. There are many ways you can process a single exposure footage to look like this.

Hidef1080
06-20-2011, 03:21 AM
[Light/JeremyHowell;2367415']First try on Sony FS100 doing some Tone Mapping or also known as (HDR). Havnt found a use for this yet but just testing it out. Let me know what you think... Haha I maybe shouldnt ask what you think on these boards huh... its ok i have tough skin. :cheesy:

I remember when this style or “HDR” first started popping up in still photography.
I think it has its place in short ad work or music video but not much else IMO.

How would you use images like this?
Do have have clients asking for it?

speedracerlo
06-20-2011, 04:02 AM
I think you'd get better results with the shadow/highlight tool.
I think the RED epic does the HDR?
or get two cameras and do it properly.

cheezweezl
06-20-2011, 08:35 AM
I think you'd get better results with the shadow/highlight tool.
I think the RED epic does the HDR?
or get two cameras and do it properly.

How? Beam splitter? And if so, what's the post workflow to combine the two exposures?

jetswing
06-20-2011, 08:54 AM
How? Beam splitter? And if so, what's the post workflow to combine the two exposures?
Here's an example of true HDR shot with two 5D mkIIs. Yes, a beam splitter would be the way to go.

http://vimeo.com/14821961

cheezweezl
06-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah I remember that when it came out. They are having the same flicker issue I had. The video posted by the OP, even though non hdr, was tone mapped in such way that flicker is eliminated. That is the key.

Quad][Light/JeremyHowell
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah I remember that when it came out. They are having the same flicker issue I had. The video posted by the OP, even though non hdr, was tone mapped in such way that flicker is eliminated. That is the key.

Hey guys yes this is not true "HDR" i didnt use a beam splitter. But this was achieved using two video images. Layered adjusting opacity and alot of tweaking with Highlight and Shawdow in Premiere Pro CS5, the trick is different colors and tones in both the 2 videos need to be different im trying something new with this today to actually get more dynamic range to be able to get my highlights back while also seeing those shadows. Will post probably this evening if i can get it done in time!! Thanks for the responses, I like the look just not sure what i could really use this with but maybe a client will need this one day... Hope you enjoyed!