PDA

View Full Version : Sony NEX-FS100 Super 35mm Camcorder Trailer Aliasing at 02:00

Amadeus5D2
06-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi all,

in the official trailer (look it at full resolution)

http://vimeo.com/21389725

at around 2:00 you can see the aliased strings of violinplayer...this is dissapointing!?!?!

dustylense
06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
most video cams would do that. Even the F3 because the strings are diagonal through the frame.

Rick Burnett
06-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Pause that video at that mark and look at the whole image. I can tell you that the compression path they took this video through, including Vimeo, is adding some serious issues to the video. I say this because I have the camera and have shot things on it very dark and I've NEVER seen all this mush and noise. I'd be VERY suspect of that clip. I have a few guitars around the house, Maybe I will come up with a scene to test the 7D, AF100 and FS100 with a similar setup to see what they all get. Would be an interesting test!

maranfilms
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
what do you want for 5k, Some people have such unrealistic expectations of things.

Rick Burnett
06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
That Aliasing is MUCH MORE than I would expect out of the FS100. Given this was probably shot on the preproduction version AND there was issues with editing Sony AVCHD footage introducing aliasing from another thread that I participated in, I just don't believe the footage. I would expect some in there with that much contrast difference from almost any camera. I've shot strings before with music videos so I am familiar with aliasing on the 7D with guitar strings and I'd say this example looks just as bad as my 7D would have shown those strings. That said, it's an easy test to recreate. I just move the guitar until I get aliasing in the shot. Use a candle just to stay at the same light range.

Amadeus5D2
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
hey..exactly!!
Rick thanks a lot...myself I'm concertguitarist and I hate these aliased strings. I think so the vimeo upload isn't telling the truth. So I would very happy if you can do some test with your different cams! I made short videos with my 5D II and GH2, GH2 is much better 5D II is really bad concerning this issue.
This would be a "Benchmark" test :happy:

Rick Burnett
06-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Agreed. Given I put a set of 9's on my guitar (translation, VERY small strings) it will be a perfect test. I will use the same lens on all 3 cameras. I'll use the zoom that came with my 7D as then I can adjust for the crop differences.

Amadeus5D2
06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
:thumbsup::dankk2: