PDA

View Full Version : 1080p60 Workflow help...

DOSMedia
06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Okay, so I shoot a LOT of action sports (mainly skiing), and I am really stoked on the 1080p60 on this camera.
I just got her today and went out and shot some random things just to see how the work flow is. I came back and FCP does not recognize the 1080p60 clips in log and transfer. I downloaded clipwrap to try that, and a very similar result. I tried to export it to to Prores on there and they still didnt work. Then I tried Rewrap (dont alter video samples) and the shots are just black, but they are about the right size (for instance a 20 second clip is 70 megs).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a driver that I am missing?

FCP X can not come soon enough!

Oh and my other shots that are not 1080p60 all work.

Thank you in advance for help. Im REALLY excited for this camera :).

MattDavis
06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
I can't offer you an immediate solution as I've found EXACTLY the same thing, but with the 1080p50 mode. I fear it is a little too 'new' (Sony did up the data rate, which probably blows the current standards out of the water).

The clips play well in VLC, though. Fun to watch, another step closer to that 'window to reality' look when you're up close to a 32" display (Mac Thunderbolt/DVI to HDMI).

Come on Apple! Get FCP-X out!

ectobuilder
06-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Right now I am avoiding 1080@60p in order to ensure interoperability.

The only practical advantage to going to such high framerates is for the slow motion recording.

I find that the only standalone player that plays this correctly is Windows Media 11 within Windows 7. The NLE that I've tried and worked is Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

rgdfilms
06-18-2011, 01:53 AM
I shot some stuff in 1080 60P a few days ago. FCP 7 didn't recognize the clips but TOAST TITANIUM did and I was able to convert all my files through that program. It took forever but worked although the audio didn't travel over with the clips. Luckily we slated

MattDavis
06-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Okay - got a solution. You're not going to like it.

Episode Pro (http://www.telestream.net/episode/overview.htm): grabs the MTS file, pumps it out as a ProRes 1080p50 file. In line with L&T transcodes. Only wrinkle is that you need to tell Episode that it's progressive not interlaced (see illustration below). It may not require the totally extortionately priced Pro version, maybe only the mildy extortionately priced ordinary version.

I'm going out to shoot a whole load of stuff in 1080p50 to see if it works with sound (forgot the mic in this first test).

DOSMedia
06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Matt,
I tried that out and got it to work (thanks for showing me the progressive thing or else I would have just given up on it, since it didnt work when I did not do that), and well my jaw dropped. The 1080p60 is INCREDIBLE on this camera. I mean so is everything else, but I may have just wet my pants. Only bummer part is the massive watermark over the image. I would purchase this program, but FCP X is coming out soon and its expensive. Ill see how FCP X handles it first.
An odd thing I noticed is that a 23 second clip is 550 megs, and I was using LT. Is that right?

RGD, Ill try out Toast Titanium now.

And ECTO, I disagree. When I shoot action sports, I used to shoot 720p60, but now that 1080p60 is available its perfect. The ability to record audio is a big plus, and also I like being able to adjust the speed to whatever I want (to match a song and such), rather then just having an over cranked shot. I much prefer 1080p60 to over crank. The more frames to work with the better (with stuff like skiing of course). Obviously when Im shooting other things, I dont use 60p, but its really cool to FINALLY have the ability to do this. I have been waiting for 1080p60 since I first bought my HVX 4 years ago.

Thank you guys for the help... CROSSING MY FINGERS FOR FCP X ON TUESDAY!