PDA

View Full Version : Lens mount play?

rgdfilms
06-14-2011, 02:13 AM
I have the MTF Services PL adapter for the FS100 and am getting really really subtle lens play within the mount while attached. What I mean is that after I put the PL adapter on, I can ever so slightly rotate it my hand and get just a few mm of play which results in an audible click. Abel informed me that this was normal for the E mount. Anyone else get this?

Illya Friedman
06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
I have the MTF Services PL adapter for the FS100 and am getting really really subtle lens play within the mount while attached. What I mean is that after I put the PL adapter on, I can ever so slightly rotate it my hand and get just a few mm of play which results in an audible click. Abel informed me that this was normal for the E mount. Anyone else get this?

Your image also shifts when that happens, you'll see it when you focus in particular.

The E-mount was designed for high cycle count and still photo work, not moving pictures.

Like all DSLR style mounts (including Nikon, Canon and m4/3) you could call the play that exists in the mount "normal". But it doesn't not mean you have to accept it, or live with that play. A professional PL to E-mount adapter and support system is available from Hot Rod Camera next week. With that, your mount will not have unintentional motion in any direction and a couple other nice benefits, especially if you regularly work with heavy lenses (Zooms, K35, Red, C-X, Master Primes..etc).

speedracerlo
06-14-2011, 02:59 AM
don't have any PL mount lenses, but it sucks to hear that an expensive adapter like MTF has play issues
if you get even 1mm of play during rack focusing, the image will shift

morgan_moore
06-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Remember that for a mount to be solid it has to mount TO something solid

As far as I can tell the E-mount is not really desinged for FF torque

You can even see the gap round the location pin which is going to allow rotation in the publicity images before any wear and tear !

Another reason why a proper cine camera costs 10X more and is more suited to cinamatography

Id be looking to support all but the smallest lenses somehow

http://dslr4real.tv/smmspace/webimages/dslr4real/randoms/emount.jpg

morgan_moore
06-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Pointles trivia ? I have heard that the nikon mount (and others) are designed to be weak on purpose

the reason is that if you drop a camera with a big telephoto that the mount fails without causing major damage/repair costs to the primary components, body and lens

S

LowDown
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
That doesn't surprise me. My PL adapter has a 1/4-20 thread on the bottom and I use a zacuto lens support on the bottom which securely locks the adapter to the rods. http://store.zacuto.com/1/4-20-inch-Lens-Support.html
It doesn't look like this would work on your MTF adapter but they do sell a similar support that should do the same job.
http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=107

squig
06-14-2011, 07:31 AM
I put a bit of gaff on my nikon to EOS adapters to stop the play but sometimes it's a very tight fit and difficult to remove the lens but it's still preferable to a jerky rack.

optitek
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey Rick,
That was pretty much to be expected. Same as with the AF-100. you need mount adapter with support. you can get these adapters from about $600 if you use base plate with mini rods.
I bet there are going to be a dozen manufacturers within a month or so.....

Kholi
06-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Don't let those sweet K-35's be wasted, Darge! Grab the Hot Rod Setup. I used the Hot Rod FS100 setup w/Cooke Panchros... solid as a rock. As well, the handles on the sides help balance out the camera, add extra points for support and look sweet.

rgdfilms
06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
The Hot-Rod is a little pricey for me but looks really nice. I also already purchased the MTF and unless Abel will take it back, I don't really have much of a choice. The MTF bracket support looks promising but I'm wondering what to do then about a baseplate.