PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Rolling Shutter = My Computer

ectobuilder
06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
OK, so apparently the rolling shutter I was experiencing is actually from my computer. It just can't seem to handle smooth playback..

My Computer:
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Intel Core Quad 3.2GHz
- Nvidia GTX 295 896MB
- OS is on Solid State Drive
- Video files on 7200RPM Drive

What do you think? Anyone experiencing this issue? I get the banding on playback using VLC Player on any resolution.

Quad][Light/JeremyHowell
06-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Something is really wrong! Sometimes a reboot can help.

Richard Allen Crook
06-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Does it play better with Windows Media Player?

bkmvincent
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
How much RAM do you have? You should have at least 8gb with Windows 7 in my opinion.

ectobuilder
06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
8GB, DDR2 800MHz. Keep in mind that my CPU is the Yorkfield based CPU meaning the memory controller is on the motherboard and not on the CPU meaning it takes longer and slower trips to and from RAM.

Does anyone use VLC player to preview clips on Windows? And does everyone use Windows 7? How much RAM you guys use?

I think it is my video card and hard drive. My video card does not fully decode HD on the card (it does so only partially then hands off the rest to the CPU) also when I copy the clip to my Solid State Drive it plays much smoother.

speedracerlo
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
no choppy or weird playback on mine, but I don't use VLC as my main player
I tried using Windows Media Player, but it loses audio so I use the Media Player Classic that came with my K-lite mega codec pack
my main workstation uses Windows 7 and runs a Core i7 2600k @ 4.8 GHz - 16gb DDR3 1600

daihard
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Ha! Get a Mac! :P
Just kidding, its something really wrong with you comp!
My iMac Duel core 3.06... plays ANYTHING off my firewire 800 without any slowdowns. VLC, MPlayerX, and Quicktime.... all smooth.

I'd check your cache settings within the "players" preferences, also if its processing the video "whilst" playing (i.e. interlacing, HD processing, sharpening...etc.)
With PC, u have many apps running in the background. Constantly my PC is doing virus checks and HD backups.
I usually get a processor load monitor, I can see the amount my computer is working when running an Apps. With that, i can tell usually where the slow down is.