PDA

View Full Version : Support for FS100 kitted to rock cine style

olindacat
06-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I am getting a used video tripod/head for the first time for the FS100 and given I have never set-up a cam before I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Things like camera COG and total weight and balance are new to me as I know smooth and unfettered pan and tilt are vital in motion. I'm looking at:

Heads:
Miller 80
Sachtler Video 20 (old not SB)
Vinten Vision 10LF
O'Connor 50D

Sticks:
O'Connor 25L w/ground spreader
or 35L also w/ground spreader (two options: one standard, the other w/pneumatic rising center column & 53A roller dolly)
Miller Alum. & Spreader (for 80 head)
Sachtler Alumn 2-stage (go w/ V20)
Vinten CF 2-stage w/CF mid-level spreader

Normally, I'd get the heaviest possible, but given I'm getting older and back is injured I am trying to get the sturdiest I can w/o overkill.

I read the 50D and 10LF are very good, but never owned a fluid (or quasi-fluid in the case of LF) so I am lost.

Any thoughts, given that the FS100 needs rods and lots more, e.g., lens, MB, monitor, etc., it could get somewhat heavy (maybe 20lbs+ ?).

All of the heads are very old but supposedly in good shape. I have never thought such expensive gear used and so long in the tooth, and as I know nothing about heads, it is a lot of money to buy sight unseen, so any advice would be much-appreciated. (I have looked at a lot of threads on this here, reduser.net, and on dvinfo.net, but many reviews are very old and for totally different types of cams....)

cheezweezl
06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a sachtler video 20 II and it has served me well. It is older and quite heavy even with carbon fiber sticks but the adjustability and smooth action is worth it to me.

Postmaster
06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Make sure your head wight rating is at least 50% more than your actually wight of your rig.
The way they rate the heads is somehow a bit strange (with a flat steel plate).

Frank

David W. Jones
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
50D will support 50 pounds, the 10LF will support 30 pounds.

MattDavis
06-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I bought a used Sachtler DV8 video head and put it on new Miller Solo carbon fibre legs.

We've travelled the world together (and thanks to British Airways, sometimes not at the same time), and they're still a great combo. Goes up VERY high, goes down VERY low, can do 'tripod yogo' for stairs or small cramped spaces, and are reasonably light. Most importantly, there's no wind-up - do a big fast pan, stop dead, and if there's a little 'oopsie' backtracking, there's play in the legs that stores tension. I have lightweight aluminium Sachtler legs that do that, so they stay at home.

I've also got a Vinten 5 tripod, which was at the budget end. Suffice to say that it's been more costly to repair than the Sachtler, and is pretty much unused and unloved. Fine for locked off shots.

The Sachtler CF Quick Release system legs are great, if pricey.

olindacat
06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Any idea are figure you'll averaging weight-wise for max loads?

David W. Jones
06-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Maxing out at around 25 pounds.

olindacat
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Maxing out at around 25 pounds.

thanks!

David W. Jones
06-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Of course your mileage may vary. ;)