PDA

View Full Version : Weight limit on the E Mount?

rgdfilms
06-11-2011, 08:44 PM
What's the heaviest lens you can put on the FS100 without support? I couldn't find it on Sony's product page..

optitek
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't think you'll find it in the specs Rick- this is not really a hard spec as you would need a torque value.
The mount feels little more solid than M4/3 (also bigger which helps) . If the springs are strong enough to hold lens tight without air gap on top between lens and camera you should be OK.

shortnstout
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
you think you could put a Nikon 80-200mm on it without support or is that just a crazy idea?

jetswing
07-28-2011, 10:42 AM
If the lens is heavier than the body, I put a support on it. Or just mount the whole setup by the lens (for larger lenses).

eheath
07-28-2011, 11:52 AM
you think you could put a Nikon 80-200mm on it without support or is that just a crazy idea?
ive heard you need to, the nikon 80-200 is pretty heavy. sony says to never pick up your camera by the lens, so it seems the mount isn't as burly as a dslr...

legrevedotcom
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
We talked about this in another thread... someone mentioned that he had read that you shouldn't pick up the cam by the lens (stock lens).
The body weighs around 1000g, that means that you in no way should count on the mount to carry more than that.

I want to attach the Canon 70-200 2.8L on mine, so I've been looking at lens supports for rails. The most interesting I found so far (because I can get it around here :P) is the Vocas lens rail support. However it's a bit expensive, so I'll be tagging along here, waiting for someone to endorse any of the cheap skate supports I can find on Ebay ;P