PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions...

DOSMedia
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Okay so Im pretty set on the FS100. Im looking to drop around 7-8 grand on a set up, and I already have some lenses.

I do want to get some new lenses for it and I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I am looking to spend around 1 grand on lenses (I currently have canon lenses).

I have a 18-50 sigma 2.8 (not in love with it), canon 50mm 1.8 (not stoked on the Toys r us feel of it), tamron 10-24mm 3.5-4.5 (stoked on this guy and will keep it), and a cheap canon 70-300 4.5-5.6. Basically I am interested in replacing any of these. I do want some zoom lenses. I film a lot of skiing, so I do need something up to 300mm.

Is the kit lens even worth it? It has a good zoom range and thats something I kind of want, but its 3.5-6.3, and I have not heard anything good about it.

What follow focus rig would you guys suggest? Im not looking for the top of the line quality, but I am also not trying to get something insanely cheap that would break quickly.

Lastly, where should I order one from? I have heard people are not getting theirs from B&H yet and I usually by everything off there.

Thanks in advance for the help :happy:

dustylense
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
That kit lens is not all that bad. Sure slow, but the fs100 is a low light eater. Do you want any ability to have auto focus for any situation. I bought the VG-10 as a travel DOF cam and have that lens for it. It's better than people make it out to be.
As for FF, look at the Redrock or the shoot35.

jetswing
06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
DOSMedia, everyone wants fast lenses with shallow depth of field. But in your case the kit lens might fit your needs perfectly especially if you take a lot of handheld shots. NEX lenses are the only one that can do auto focus, which I hear is pretty good, and image stabilization. And the zoom range is pretty decent too.

jetswing
06-11-2011, 05:49 PM
And in regards to where to get the camera, you've already missed the boat with the initial shipment so I don't think it's going to make a huge difference who you go with. It doesn't look like B&H has gotten their big shipment as of yet. One downside with B%H is that you have to pay in full in advance. Another great option is abelcine.com but a lot of people might have jumped on their ship after seeing they were the first retailers to deliver the good. They might have a long waiting list too. You can call them ask where you would be on the list.

DOSMedia
06-11-2011, 05:57 PM
DOSMedia, everyone wants fast lenses with shallow depth of field. But in your case the kit lens might fit your needs perfectly especially if you take a lot of handheld shots. NEX lenses are the only one that can do auto focus, which I hear is pretty good, and image stabilization. And the zoom range is pretty decent too.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. When I saw that it had auto focus, it got me excited since I could have a skier go from being 400 feet away to skiing right by the camera in one shot. I do not only shoot skiing though, so I will need other lenses.

Dustylense, do you have any footage I can see shot with the lens?

Thanks guys for the replies.

DOSMedia
06-11-2011, 05:58 PM
And in regards to where to get the camera, you've already missed the boat with the initial shipment so I don't think it's going to make a huge difference who you go with. It doesn't look like B&H has gotten their big shipment as of yet. One downside with B%H is that you have to pay in full in advance. Another great option is abelcine.com but a lot of people might have jumped on their ship after seeing they were the first retailers to deliver the good. They might have a long waiting list too. You can call them ask where you would be on the list.

Sweet I will check them out. I am just trying to get one before a shoot I have for ESPN in the middle of July, if that is even possible. Obviously will want some time with the camera before then too.

jetswing
06-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Sweet I will check them out. I am just trying to get one before a shoot I have for ESPN in the middle of July, if that is even possible. Obviously will want some time with the camera before then too.
You probably want to get your order in ASAP and/or try a local shop too. I've had my order with B&H since 5/3 and I have a order with abelcine. I'm also harassing a local shop. So far I'm just waiting and hoping to get lucky one of those places.

DOSMedia
06-11-2011, 06:09 PM
You probably want to get your order in ASAP and/or try a local shop too. I've had my order with B&H since 5/3 and I have a order with abelcine. I'm also harassing a local shop. So far I'm just waiting and hoping to get lucky one of those places.

Unfortunately it is a weekend. I contacted able cine to see what their estimated delivery time would be for the one with the kit lens. They claim just the body ships in 2-4 weeks, but I dont know how much i trust that.

I live in an area with less than 100k people, so we do not really have any camera shops in the area that would carry an FS100. Kind of a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons.

jetswing
06-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately it is a weekend. I contacted able cine to see what their estimated delivery time would be for the one with the kit lens. They claim just the body ships in 2-4 weeks, but I dont know how much i trust that.

I live in an area with less than 100k people, so we do not really have any camera shops in the area that would carry an FS100. Kind of a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons.
Yup, my "local" shop is 2-hour drive away too. They told me they're only getting the kit lens packages -- sometimes your luck can change depending on what you order too. I think abelcine can tell you which place you're in on the waiting list if you order one. Good luck.

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Okay so Im pretty set on the FS100. Im looking to drop around 7-8 grand on a set up, and I already have some lenses.

I do want to get some new lenses for it and I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I am looking to spend around 1 grand on lenses (I currently have canon lenses).

I have a 18-50 sigma 2.8 (not in love with it), canon 50mm 1.8 (not stoked on the Toys r us feel of it), tamron 10-24mm 3.5-4.5 (stoked on this guy and will keep it), and a cheap canon 70-300 4.5-5.6. Basically I am interested in replacing any of these. I do want some zoom lenses. I film a lot of skiing, so I do need something up to 300mm.

Is the kit lens even worth it? It has a good zoom range and thats something I kind of want, but its 3.5-6.3, and I have not heard anything good about it.

What follow focus rig would you guys suggest? Im not looking for the top of the line quality, but I am also not trying to get something insanely cheap that would break quickly.

Lastly, where should I order one from? I have heard people are not getting theirs from B&H yet and I usually by everything off there.

Thanks in advance for the help :happy:

When I do live events I need that autofocus. The kit lens has a very smooth autofocus feature that I am impressed with. I did a shot at a wedding yesterday on my Steadicam Pilot and started the shot behind the end-chair (around the dinner table) and as I came around to bring the guests into the frame the kit lens focused immediately to the people gathered around the table. Very impressed. Also I like the way the E-Mount mounts onto the FS100, it doesn't require you to hold the locking mechanism in place as it does it for you, where as my Nikon Adapter and FD Adapter does. So the E-Mount makes for a very quick in-and-out lens change.

Postmaster
06-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I scond that.

When I first saw the kit lens, I thought "ah come on, I got a dozen high end primes, why should I spend money on that?"
After shooting for 2 days - run and gun handheld - I wish I would have bought the kit lens (for this situations).

Frank

DOSMedia
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks guy for all of the input so far. Really appreciate it, and I am glad to hear from both Postmaster and ectobuilder that the kit lens is not all that bad. I am definitely going to pick up the camera with that kit lens (which really confused me at first when I saw "UK" at the end of the name).

Now if I can just find a good deal on a follow focus rig.

MattDavis
06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
After shooting for 2 days - run and gun handheld - I wish I would have bought the kit lens

Thanks, Frank. You've saved me the $200 difference between buying the Kit Lens with the camera, and the price of buying the Kit Lens as an aftermarket item!

In my little world of corporate event video, I definitely foresee times where a wide zoom range, autofocus and OIS will get 'money shots', making the camera more valuable WITH this lens in the kit bag.