PDA

View Full Version : Some grabs from todays testshooting

Postmaster
06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Rainy day here in Bavaria - so I went out and took the FS100 for a test ride.

Frank

speedracerlo
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
great shots and color
what were they graded on?

ZazaCast
06-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Nice stuff Frank... but I don't think it's the camera...it's the cinematographer! YOU could take pictures on a Fisher Price camera and make them look great. IMHO

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Nice stuff Frank... but I don't think it's the camera...it's the cinematographer! YOU could take pictures on a Fisher Price camera and make them look great. IMHO

Some take longer to fiddle with than others. The FS100 is pretty much out of the box and the fiddling just takes it to another level.

addax
06-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Waiting to see a video ;-)

I think I've read you have the european FS100 (25 fps), is that correct?

Postmaster
06-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Awww, thanks ZaZa.

I graded them slightly with the Premiere board tools - but nothing fancy, just a bit curve tweaking.

And yes, I have the European model.

Actually I find the FS100 not easy to master. With the HVX I just hit Cine1, checked my zebras and got brilliant results.
With the FS100 you always have the problem, that everything is too bright
(LOL who would have thought a few years ago that we have to invest in more ND filters, instead of more lights).

I mean, I was shooting in a pitch dark church and a museum - where my HVX would be literally blind (and even a 5D would have had a hard time - and got away with just 9db.
Thats amazing, but it comes with a whole new bunch of pitfalls.

I just starting to understand, what the different picture profiles and setting really do.
For example: When I look at the waveform monitor of my TVLogic, my highlights are at about 90 but the 100 zebras on the FS100 already kicked in.
When I look at the footage the FS100 zebras where right. So I need to find out why my trusty waveform was wrong.

Than I tried a superflat setting - for some reason it doesn't really grade well.
I don't know how to explain this, but in the moment Im more happy with PP5 and PP6.

It will probably take quite a while till I really know my way `round the FS100 (and yeah, more ND filters).

Frank

squig
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
"who would have thought a few years ago that we have to invest in more ND filters, instead of more lights" Hehe, at least NDs don't need to be powered. I think that heliopan vari-ND that Bloom just reviewed is going to be an essential item. A saw a Kubrick lens on ebay recently and was tempted but I thought what do I need a Kubrick lens for now? Stanley must be turning in his grave.

Doctor Wu
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Adding to the fantastic sensitivity of this new cameras is the variety of excellent noise reduction software applications that exist.

Even the $100 neat video magic bullet plugin does a pretty good job. The new Davinci Resolve version 8 supposedly has really good grain/noise reduction tools.

We use proprietary and far more expensive off the shelf noise reduction tools at work, which provide remarkable results where little detail is lost.

If you have the tools, you can easily shoot with a lot of grain on this camera.

squig
06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Grain, what grain? Besides filmic looking grain is a good thing, I add a layer of 24 frames of real film grain to 5D films.

Ralph B
06-12-2011, 11:07 AM
We use proprietary and far more expensive off the shelf noise reduction tools at work, which provide remarkable results where little detail is lost.

What tools might that be?

ZazaCast
06-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Some take longer to fiddle with than others. The FS100 is pretty much out of the box and the fiddling just takes it to another level.
Sounds just like my AF100!

GaryinCalifornia
06-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Frank... what lens did you use...

Postmaster
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Vintage Nikon AI/AIS glass 35, 50 and 135mm - vintage Zeiss medium format primes 80 and 120mm and ... behold

I needed a cheap run and gun zoom, so I clicked "buy now" on a older 35-80 Vivitar series 1 zoom on Ebay, before I realized it was a sliding zoom.
Normally I hate those, but after using it for a day, I start liking it.

I'm almost done with editing that stuff, gonna put it on Vimeo in 30 minutes.

Frank

FelixGER
06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
...Working late on "Pfingstsonntag"...^^

Postmaster
06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Pfingstmontag ;-)

Rick Burnett
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Wow, I shot with the FS100 today and I can tell you, after reviewing the footage with the director, we were BOTH in awe. One thing we REALLY like is the motion blur. Also, the detail and latitude were REALLY nice. We spent a year shooting on the 7D so we both know it well, and the extra latitude was CLEAR since we shot today with a 7D as B camera. In fact, after reviewing the footage, we've decided not to even roll the 7D on some of our future projects because the quality of the FS100 shot was so epic.

Once the video is done, which should be a few weeks, I will share. It will be mostly FS100. Hehe, the director is already thinking about purchasing one as well. I showed him the 30dB gain and his mouth hung open. For slow lenses this camera allows you to use them in situations you never could before. THAT is nice.

Happy camper.

Postmaster
06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Whats your frame rate and shutter speed Rick?

Rick Burnett
06-13-2011, 03:08 PM
24 and 1/48

Postmaster
06-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I really hope they come up with that firmware update soon, Im stuck with 25p 1/50, which produces some nasty jitter/studder.
Not only while panning als in normal motion, when the camera is locked down.

Frank

ectobuilder
06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Awww, thanks ZaZa.
Actually I find the FS100 not easy to master. With the HVX I just hit Cine1, checked my zebras and got brilliant results.
With the FS100 you always have the problem, that everything is too bright
(LOL who would have thought a few years ago that we have to invest in more ND filters, instead of more lights).

Could have to do with the LCD being a touch screen. The extra layer on the screen causes the picture to look duller than the actual picture thus forcing the camera operator to boost his exposure level. I think Nigel Cooper's review mentions this.

Think this is the case?

FelixGER
06-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I really hope they come up with that firmware update soon, Im stuck with 25p 1/50, which produces some nasty jitter/studder.

Frank

oO
A bug in the european version? Oh dear...

You could check a pan frame for frame and identify how the pictures move.

squig
06-14-2011, 06:22 AM
24 and 1/48

Can you select a 1/50 shutter speed on the US model?

Postmaster
06-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Could have to do with the LCD being a touch screen. The extra layer on the screen causes the picture to look duller than the actual picture thus forcing the camera operator to boost his exposure level. I think Nigel Cooper's review mentions this.

Think this is the case?

Dont think so. I have a TVLogic with waveform attached - actually the zebras on the FS100 are quite accurate - you just have to trust them ;-)

Frank

Rick Burnett
06-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Can you select a 1/50 shutter speed on the US model?

I don't remember seeing 1/50 as a choice as I was scrolling through the shutter speeds

LowDown
06-14-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't remember seeing 1/50 as a choice as I was scrolling through the shutter speeds

yes 48 and 50, just checked it

Postmaster
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
The european version comes without 48 - meh.

Rick Burnett
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Ha, I must have missed it. Thanks for correcting me!

squig
06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
yes 48 and 50, just checked it

Thanks.

Frank I'd send it back DOA and get the US model unless you really need 25p for broadcast. It does 1/50 so 50hz scrolling waves shouldn't be a problem. The 25p model is $1000 more in Australia than a shipped US model, I'm assuming it's at least as much more in Germany. Damn Sony for their regional stupidity and buggy 25p. Why is it assumed that those of us in the PAL world are either shooting for broadcast or film and not both? This isn't a consumer camera and most cinematographers I know make their living shooting commercials and music videos which makes it a $12,000 investment to be able to shoot what a guy in the US can shoot with this camera! Has there been any confirmation from Sony about a multi-region firmware update? I feel a petition coming on. Or a hack!

cckid
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
so true...a petition must be made on this subject...multi region firmware is a must...

David G. Smith
06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, while it really doesn't affect me, right now, I have always thought that not making the camera a world camera was a major oversight.

ectobuilder
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Frank

What are you using to play back the footage? I find that when the footage is played back on the FS100 it plays very smoothly with little or no rolling shutter (I haven't done an exhausting scientific test however). But when I use my VLC Player on my Windows PC it bands a lot giving the impression of rolling shutter.

I also use a 65" LCD to review all of my footage to ensure that I see every spec of detail.