PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Shutter effect @ 720@60p?

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Anyone getting a rolling shutter effect at 720@60p?

I was on a tripod moving the head vertically and I saw some rolling shutters. Anyone?

I was using the Lexar Professional 64GB 133x SD Card. Not sure if this had anything to do with it?

Also I was playing back the footage on VLC Player and saw it there.

My Nikon D7000 exhibited a similar effect filmed at 720@30p.

speedracerlo
06-11-2011, 12:47 AM
rolling shutter is not completely gone if you do any whip pans or fast tilts
the sensor scan time on the 5D2 is 20ms and the FS100/F3 is 5ms
unless it can get as fast as 1ms or 2ms, it won't be completely gone like a global shutter
I believe the RED ONE is something like 5ms so rolling shutter should be comparable to that

cheezweezl
06-11-2011, 01:27 AM
It may be worse in some recording formats than others. I haven't tested anything but 1080/24 myself. I'm just remembering back to the panny hpx300. Rolling shutter was fine on every format except 1080/24. Suddenly it was like the worst you've ever seen.

artlukm
06-11-2011, 08:41 PM
rolling shutter is not completely gone if you do any whip pans or fast tilts
the sensor scan time on the 5D2 is 20ms and the FS100/F3 is 5ms
unless it can get as fast as 1ms or 2ms, it won't be completely gone like a global shutter
I believe the RED ONE is something like 5ms so rolling shutter should be comparable to that

The original Red Ones have a read/reset time of 9ms. The new Red sensors are in the 4-5ms range.

4-5ms is basically equivalent to a film camera.

Barry_Green
06-11-2011, 09:50 PM
A rolling shutter, even at 4-5ms, is nothing whatsoever like a film camera. That was definitively proven by the SCCE, which showed that a film camera works extremely like a global shutter, not a rolling shutter.

The Red's rolling shutter performance is about the same as the AF100's, EX1's, F3's, and most modern rolling shutter cameras. They all perform roughly comparably.

artlukm
06-12-2011, 01:08 AM
A rolling shutter, even at 4-5ms, is nothing whatsoever like a film camera. That was definitively proven by the SCCE, which showed that a film camera works extremely like a global shutter, not a rolling shutter.

What do you mean "extremely like a global shutter"? It either is or it isn't. And it isn't. There are definitely differences between a sequentially read CMOS sensor and a film camera, but a film camera is not like a CCD global shutter.

The Red's rolling shutter performance is about the same as the AF100's, EX1's, F3's, and most modern rolling shutter cameras. They all perform roughly comparably.

What Reds? As I stated above, the original Red One has a read/reset of 9ms. As someone else pointed out, the 7D/5D are in the 20ms range. Not sure what an EX1 is rated at, but I'd estimate it's somewhere between a Red One and a 5D. The GH2 has been measured at roughly 14ms. The AF100 is faster (closer to original Red One).

The new Red cameras are 4-5ms (MX sensor or Epic). Red has stated that they could have done a global shutter with a CMOS sensor, but they chose to do it this way because it more closely mimics film.

Film cameras do have skew and the skew exhibited is similar to that of a 4-5ms read/reset. The effect with strobes is different because a film camera has a mechanical shutter, so the transition from dark to bright is pretty feathered. With a CMOS sensor you get a hard line between the bright and dark for obvious reasons.

Like the new Reds, the F3 and FS100 have a 4-5ms read/reset.