PDA

View Full Version : Re: Manual Gain on side panel?

ectobuilder
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Are we only restricted to 3 settings (H, M, L) on the side panel?

Is there not a way to adjust gain from the side panel in increments of 1DB?

I'm having to go into the menu to do this, would be nice if the side panel could offer the same increments as well.

Postmaster
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Yeah, would be nice but - NO.

David G. Smith
06-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I have just perused the side panel controls, but doesn't it give you two settings for each of the selections, L, M and H? I would rather have more, but that is handy for quick situations.

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 12:48 AM
And anyone figure out the Gain priority? Aperture priority? Seems to pop up after a sequence of button pressing. arrrgh.

I think this is why this is an NXCAM and not an XDCAM or CineAlta. arrrgh

speedracerlo
06-11-2011, 12:52 AM
I remember using the Sony F900 Cinealta at my school and it only had 3 gain settings just like the FS100 which had to be pre-set in the menu

cheezweezl
06-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe we are spoiled by dslrs having a dedicated iso button. Well I guess the red has the shortcut key as well. But anyway, you just hit menu, and gain is the first item on the top menu. Two clicks and you're adjusting. Takes a half second longer than if you had a dedicated button.

David G. Smith
06-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I just went through the gain settings. It is actually pretty cool. The side panel gain selections are selectable from the menu. While there are actually 11 total gain settings, you can set the side panel controls to the specific gain settings you want for the three selections, H, M and L. That is cool. When in run and gun situations, you can set up you side panel controls for the setting you want. I just set mine for L-0db, M-15db and H-30db. Now when I need, I can hit the side panel controls and switch the sensitivity to those selections. If those selections don't met your needs, then you can change them in the menu, as noted above.

cheezweezl
06-11-2011, 01:21 AM
And anyone figure out the Gain priority? Aperture priority? Seems to pop up after a sequence of button pressing. arrrgh.

I think this is why this is an NXCAM and not an XDCAM or CineAlta. arrrgh

If you mean auto gain or auto shutter, then just tap the gain or shutter button on the side and look for a little "A" to pop up next to it on the display. That means auto.

ectobuilder
06-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Ironically my old NEX-VG10 (if I can call it old LOL) allowed for 1 DB of gain adjustment from the side panel.

Not sure why Sony doesn't allow it on their $5K machine!