PDA

View Full Version : My FS100 Handle Replacement...

Rick Burnett
06-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, kind of. I took the handle off and bolted on part of my U-boat commander rig from IDC (took off the top piece) and added ATV hand grips to the handles. This was originally designed for the 7D/5D.

If I am focusing, I put one hand under the camera and rotate my hand up to rotate the lens. Otherwise, I just hold on the sides. I also mount a DP6 on the top shoe.

I also use a shoulder rig and a blackbird stabilizer rig and will post those up when I get them working how I want. The balance is not perfect, but it's not bad either. Very low strain.

(Shot with iPhone)

cheezweezl
06-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Sweet!! I am looking for a grip like this that I can mount on the side where the stock grip mounts.

David G. Smith
06-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Rick, how are you mounting that? Did you use a quarter 20 bolt, or did you mount to one of the 3/8 mounts on the bottom?

Rick Burnett
06-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Haha, I get them confused so let me say, I am mounted to the smaller holes :) Which I *think* is quarter twenty. I am going to switch it to a manfrotto plate so I can put them on and off easier. ALL my gear uses manfrotto plates for this reason.

mico
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I like that handle setup.

I did something similar but I wanted the handles closer so I could get to the start stop button and the expander button.

I modified my hood man to use instead of the sony supplied viewfinder. The swivel effect is gone because theres less leverage applied to the lcd because of the short length.

http://imageshack.us/g/855/dsc00187t.jpg/

David W. Jones
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Good job!

Rick Burnett
06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Nice! Yeah, my hands are a bit away, but it feels good with my shoulder width.

David G. Smith
06-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Haha, I get them confused so let me say, I am mounted to the smaller holes :) Which I *think* is quarter twenty. I am going to switch it to a manfrotto plate so I can put them on and off easier. ALL my gear uses manfrotto plates for this reason.

Yeah, the small holes are the quarter twenty (1/4 inch diameter with a 20 twist per inch screw tap.... I think) holes and the larger ones are the 3/8". I like the rig.

olindacat
06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I'll bet you're having some fun with that set-up :-) Do the thicker grips help?

Rick Burnett
06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
I really like the thicker grips. Before, it was just metal handles. Holding the camera with this sort of grip feels almost like you are holding nothing it is so comfortable. Of course, shooting hand held is tricky to me itself, I am not that steady. So, while I have this handle setup, I really just use my shoulder mount or stabilizer (or of course tripod) with the FS100.

Illya Friedman
06-14-2011, 02:51 AM
I modified my hood man to use instead of the sony supplied viewfinder. The swivel effect is gone because theres less leverage applied to the lcd because of the short length.

http://imageshack.us/g/855/dsc00187t.jpg/

Nice use of your hoodman to make a short loop!

mico
06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks Illya. I check your site regularly. The Tuner-S looks fantastic. I hope you put up more pics of your accessories for the FS-100. I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the camera.

Illya Friedman
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks Illya. I check your site regularly. The Tuner-S looks fantastic. I hope you put up more pics of your accessories for the FS-100. I'd also like to hear your thoughts on the camera.

Thanks for the kind words!

The FS100 is an incredibly capable camera, it's a magnificent image sensor with a body that (in my opinion) is about the ideal starting point for size and weight. The camera body has a lot of options for mounting and accessories, some of which I'm working on right now. I know one person in particular who lobbied hard for these points, and I'm so glad Sony chose to included them.

The FS100 controls are laid out fairly well, S&Q button to jump between 24/60p is clever. The FS100 LCD is good, included LCD extended eyepiece is surprisingly functional, it also can accept my (forthcoming) F3 external EVF mount easily. The low light, noise, dynamic range and apparent resolution performance are tough for any competitor in this price range to beat. While the FS100 does not exceeds the overall performance of a base model F3, the FS100 is delivering 65-70% of the F3's key performance criteria for only 37% of the F3 street price- which is possibly what is most astounding.

The heart of any digital cinema camera is the sensor. And while I haven't verified this, since the sensor in the FS100 is the same as in the F3, it stands to reason that like the F3, it's actually seeing 2.5K worth of resolution and scaling that to a very, very, high quality 1080p even when recording to humble SD cards.

Over the past decade I've worked directly with one part of Sony broadcast or another. I can say that the talent of the Sony FS100 team, both from Sony and the external high-level professional consultants (people with genuine credits on significant productions) that contributed to the development of the FS100 did a bang-up job. Pairing a professional grade PL mount on the FS100 and the camera can (and will) be used for professional level work.

Over the past few months I've had various builds of the camera, and can say that without a doubt this year- there will be a lot of extremely high quality productions shot with the FS100 camera. Last year the same projects would have been shot on 35mm/16mm, 2/3" HD and Red.

A fairly major documentary project is already shooting with an FS100/Hot Rod PL Tuner-S kit and Zeiss CP lenses (http://tinyurl.com/42uohhw). The doc will air on a major network in HD.

Sony has hit the high water mark for one of their "most bang for buck" products. I'm trying not to sound too enthusiastic, but it's hard when out of this camera you see results like this (http://vimeo.com/groups/fs100/videos/24602608). I guess you could say it's a keeper :cool:

Rick Burnett
06-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Where was that shot?

mico
06-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer Illya. And thanks for the links to those projects. You have always been brand agnostic and someone whose opinion I look forward to hearing from.

Is that doc using an external recorder? If you have the time I'd also like to know if you've used any of the external recorders that are out and what your thoughts are on all the external recorders that are out there or coming that would be perfect for the FS-100.
Thanks