PDA

View Full Version : not quite smoke/fog

Steve Kahn
06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I need to shoot in a club where back-lights catch particles in the air akin to smoke particles.

Here are the issues:

-- don't want to use fog machine for fear of setting of industrial fire alarms (and sprinklers!)
-- can't use real cigarette smoke (in doors non smoking environment)
-- dry ice (I feel) will just sink to the ground and wont fill the space like warm smoke.

So, any ideas on particulate matter one can throw up into the air to catch the light like a smoky room?

David W. Jones
06-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Use a hazer. There are about four different denseities of fog you can get. Get the lightest haze.

Steve Kahn
06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks David. I googled them and a hazer seems to be the same as a fog machine unless I didn't quite find what you were talking about.

I had an idea last night to use an aerosol spray of some sort in the light right before the shot. I may try that.

Michael Carter
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I always keep a few cans of aerosol smoke with me for music video & stuff. (Google "fantasy FX"). Pretty handy when you need a small spot - it dissipates fairly fast and you wouldn't want to do a full room, but it does "hang" nicely and is great for what you're talking about, shooting effect plates, etc.

Erik Olson
06-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Contact local AV or event companies for a hazer. DF50 is a common rental model as is the Neutron (http://www.lemaitreltd.com/productInformation.aspx?UKeyCategory=8&UKeyProduct=3) or MVS from Le Maitre.