PDA

View Full Version : Berkey System Top Plate for FS-100

Stephen Mick
06-10-2011, 11:20 AM
So, I sent my friends at Berkey Systems my new FS-100 for a few days. Based on what I've seen from them in the past, especially their F3 plate, I figured they'd come up with some pretty unique solutions for mounting and rigging the FS-100.

One of the main things we talked about was finding a better solution for the handle and top mounting holes. After a day with the camera in their hands, and with some help from their friends at Cinequipt, Berkey came up with what I think might be THE must-have accessory for the FS-100.

Here are some pictures (my words won't be able to do it justice)

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35070

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35069

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35068

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35067

This is still in the prototyping/design stage, but it's pretty close to being production-ready. And best of all, the guys at Berkey System says it'll only be a couple of weeks before they're ready to ship in volume. It's designed as a bolt-on accessory that takes advantage of the three threaded mounting holes on top of the FS-100 (two on the body and one above the lens) allowing the user to use the factory handle without voiding the warranty or having to remove any parts other than the handle to install it, just three screws and it's on. This plate provides a number of additional mounting points for a monitor, an EVF, rod blocks and just about anything else you could think of.

Pretty amazing.

speedracerlo
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
that's very awesome, do you know if that plate can go on the bottom of the camera too?
I own a custom berkey system adapter for my steadicam vest and glidecam HD4000 and it's one of the most finely machined aluminum pieces ever

vcfilms
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
imo this is what the camera should have had all along. The af-100 did a great job of giving us endless mounting holes and making it configurable in so many ways and never worrying about the accessories failing. This is a great prototype. Any idea on approx. cost and how much wieght it can support?

Stephen Mick
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
This is strictly for the top of the FS-100. They're looking into options for the base, so if you've got specific thoughts, post 'em up here and I'm sure Berkey will read about them.

Stephen Mick
06-10-2011, 11:45 AM
imo this is what the camera should have had all along. The af-100 did a great job of giving us endless mounting holes and making it configurable in so many ways and never worrying about the accessories failing. This is a great prototype. Any idea on approx. cost and how much wieght it can support?

No pricing yet, sorry. It's not quite far enough along for them to say for sure.

As for weight, given that it connects to three mounting points on the top of the camera, I'd say you can put quite a bit on there.

vcfilms
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Cool. Now all I need is a body shell and the camera will be able to last more than a year without breaking ;)

mico
06-10-2011, 07:04 PM
It would be great to get a mod for the side handle screw hole. It has a non slip retaining pin hole as well as a 1/4/20 so some nice rosette hand grip can be developed as well as a separate mount clamp to attach 2 rods for accessories would be nice.

Rick Burnett
06-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Wow, what a great idea. That looks REALLY nice and I would definitely think about picking one up.

I'd really like to see what they come up with for a handle. I don't need a baseplate personally, I am happy with the setup on the bottom, but the handle is HORRIBLE.

This is what I am using right now for basic handheld: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=227

mico
06-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Ok Berkey if you're listening. You already got my money on your baseplates/accessories and for sure on the toplate thats coming.

I'd like to ask if you can give some consideration in making a rosette like side handle like I mentioned in my previous post.

And today I felt that I needed a top handle similar to the one that comes with the camera but with more abilities.

It needs to be higher because when I flip the lcd as far back as it can go for certain angles the handle and my hand get in the way. Making one taller, with the ability to offset the handle so it can move slightly from the center to off center side to side because there are times when my arm and the the lcd are in the same line and I can't see the lcd and also the ability to have the handle run perpendicular to the body as opposed to only parallel with the body might help me balance the camera if offset from center. Also having the ability to get the handle back further of forward further will help balancing the camera because with different lenses and different batteries the camera constantly shifts its center of gravity. Maybe what I'm asking for is to have the handle part rotate 360 degrees and also have the ability to move an inch or two side to side and front to back

Don't worry about a mic holder on the handle like the Sony. The mic can easily be placed elsewhere like on your top plate for instance.

If you think its worth your time I look forward to what you come up with.

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Looks so sick! Was thinking of making something similar to that using the Ikan element, but I guess I will wait for Berkley.

I'm a little worried though if I have a short wide angle lens as the rods will stick out and be in the frame (i.e. NEX SEL 16mm Pancake lens).

Stephen Mick
06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Update…

Brian sent me this email at 4AM this morning…

"It might be hard to see in the pictures but the handle will have the ability to move fore and aft about a total of one inch for balancing. In addition, because we are adding those two holes instead of the just one for the stock set-up, when we design our replacement handle it will have two mounting holes for extra solid mounting. Our handle mounting pocket can also be used as a hotshoe if one were to use it without the handle."

And some new pics of the revised front plate with wings!

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35163

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35162

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35161

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35160

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=35159

Andrew S
06-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Just great, put me down for an order, do you have UK suppliers!

mico
06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
can't wait

speedracerlo
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
That is so sick and genius, can't wait

thxdave
06-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Great looking gear from these guys and it seems to be a bit more reasonably priced than Zacuto.

powervideo
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I have the F3 Cheeseplate and the quality and functionality are excellent.

speedracerlo
06-15-2011, 01:46 AM
the pre-order price of $230 is still a bit expensive for this kind of aluminum cheeseplate... and then $250 regular price?
the F3's top plate with extension costs less than the FS100's plate for some reason and the F3's plate is much bigger.

mico
06-15-2011, 05:48 AM
I felt the same way and also saw the F3 prices which made it puzzling. I'm not making excuses for them but there does see to be more tooling necessary because its more detailed that the F3 toplate. Like the useable shoe mount groove incorporated into it that has to be tooled and there seems to something more detailed going on underneath the shoe mount screw hole area for securing. I can't see it but there is a gap between the top of the camera and that shoe mount hole so it might be thicker in that area. This takes more machine time . Maybe Stephen can get an answer from them.

Techguy
06-15-2011, 06:16 AM
the pre-order price of $230 is still a bit expensive for this kind of aluminum cheeseplate... and then $250 regular price?
the F3's top plate with extension costs less than the FS100's plate for some reason and the F3's plate is much bigger.

Thanks for the feedback and hopefully I can answer a couple questions. The F3 top cheeseplate was priced at a very low introductory price of $199 to go along with the launch of the new web site. The F3 top without extension will be going to it's regular price of $250 on July 1st. The extension plate for the F3 cheese plate was a fairly straight forward design and was priced at $95. The two parts together are presently $285 and when the introductory price ends on June 30th it will be $335 as a package. The new FS-100 accessory plate required quite a bit of engineering and testing to ensure we had as much flexibility and a good fit to the camera. The machining for the FS-100 plate is more complex than either of the F3 plates. I think the FS-100 accessory plate is the most elegant part yet from Berkey System. I hope that information helps and please feel free to ask any questions. Dan

speedracerlo
06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the insight Dan, I plan on buying the top plate regardless because it is a very nice product. I just wish the pricing would've been slightly more competitive, but I also know Berkey Systems probably isn't selling these for huge markups.

optitek
06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Once 16x9, genus, zacuto, red rock, letus, vocas, denz, solid, atomic and various chinese manufacturers make their own versions it will become competitive, just wait a month with your purchase....

mico
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Can't wait for your handle. keep it coming.

powervideo
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback and hopefully I can answer a couple questions. The F3 top cheeseplate was priced at a very low introductory price of $199 to go along with the launch of the new web site. The F3 top without extension will be going to it's regular price of $250 on July 1st. The extension plate for the F3 cheese plate was a fairly straight forward design and was priced at $95. The two parts together are presently $285 and when the introductory price ends on June 30th it will be $335 as a package. The new FS-100 accessory plate required quite a bit of engineering and testing to ensure we had as much flexibility and a good fit to the camera. The machining for the FS-100 plate is more complex than either of the F3 plates. I think the FS-100 accessory plate is the most elegant part yet from Berkey System. I hope that information helps and please feel free to ask any questions. Dan

Dan I have the F3 cheeseplate and it is beautifully tooled and finished. Can you post a picture of the extension plate attached to the cheese plate on an actual F3? I can't find a shot of it mounted on your website.

Techguy
06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Dan I have the F3 cheeseplate and it is beautifully tooled and finished. Can you post a picture of the extension plate attached to the cheese plate on an actual F3? I can't find a shot of it mounted on your website.

Thank you for the compliments on the cheese plate, I will pass them along. I just looked and I don't have a photo with it on the camera on my computer. I will talk to Brian and get something published both here and on the web site soon.

maranfilms
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
@ Steven, how does it feel, as far as strength wise? I see it's held on by two 1/4"screws on the top. Does it add any stress to the top area of the camcorder, or do you see or feel any movement in the plastic? Just wondering if it would be worth connecting the mount off the side to the top, for added strength, and another point of contact. I know it's a light cam, but once you start adding some cine primes, it's going to add a good bit more weight. But if you feel it's fine the way it is, Im more than willing to take your word for it.

Mitch Gross
06-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Here's a photo from our NY showroom floor. We just signed up with Berkey as a reseller of these nifty plates.

Please excuse the fuzzy iPhone image:

Stephen Mick
06-15-2011, 06:45 PM
@ Steven, how does it feel, as far as strength wise? I see it's held on by two 1/4"screws on the top. Does it add any stress to the top area of the camcorder, or do you see or feel any movement in the plastic? Just wondering if it would be worth connecting the mount off the side to the top, for added strength, and another point of contact. I know it's a light cam, but once you start adding some cine primes, it's going to add a good bit more weight. But if you feel it's fine the way it is, Im more than willing to take your word for it.

Well, here's what I did…

I put on the prototype top plate Brian sent me, and picked up the camera, with kit lens installed, by the top plate. It felt totally and completely solid.

stevedocmaker
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM

It's a free enterprise country, so of course you can sell it for whatever the market will pay. But really? $250 for a $3 hunk of aluminum with a few holes in it?

Rick Burnett
06-16-2011, 12:38 PM
It's a free enterprise country, so of course you can sell it for whatever the market will pay. But really? $250 for a $3 hunk of aluminum with a few holes in it?

You're free to make your own. Time is money, so make sure you calculate that when you build one.

powervideo
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM

That really is being disingenous. It is so much more than a piece of metal with holes in it. The Berkey gear is engineered as good as the Vocas and Zacuto equipment I use and it is way cheaper. Would you go to the local metal shop and get something like the Berkey plate for a few bucks and trust it to be machined and powder-coated well enough to mount on your $15,000 F3. $3? You have to be kidding me.

mico
06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Jus t received my topplate and it is fantastic. Perfectly machined and ultra useful. I love it. I can mount side handles off the top and numerous other configurations. Brian who makes these pieces should be supported for making the FS100 more configurable than Sony originally made it.

Also my Sony tophandle just broke and Brian is working on a solution. thankyou Brian

DM_rider
06-27-2011, 09:13 PM
A few new pics of the top plate and new handle
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0036.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0018.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0014.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0006.jpg

optitek
06-27-2011, 09:52 PM
A rig only mother could love... What's with the HDMI cable running for miles there..

Stephen Mick
06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
A few new pics of the top plate and new handle
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0036.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0018.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0014.jpg

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac273/horner218/CIMG0006.jpg

Mmmmm…looks delicious! Really nice work, Berkey boys!

DM_rider
06-28-2011, 08:33 AM
A rig only mother could love... What's with the HDMI cable running for miles there..

I don't want the HDMI cable sticking up over the camera. Also, the less stress on the inputs the better.

lunelson
07-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Anyone have a contact e-mail address for berkeysystem? Their online contact form doesn't work for me, won't accept my e-mail addresses. I'd like to get in touch with them.

Mitch Gross
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM
You can purchase the Berkey Plates from AbelCine.

tanega
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
So Far this looks like the Best Run and Gun Set up.....Nice!!!

powervideo
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Anyone have a contact e-mail address for berkeysystem? Their online contact form doesn't work for me, won't accept my e-mail addresses. I'd like to get in touch with them.

Here you go. bberkey (at) berkeysystem.com Brian is a great guy and is the most helpful manufacturer I've ever come across. I have the F3 baseplate, top cheeseplate and 15mm posts. It's very good quality, beautifully finished and tight-spec stuff.

Rick Burnett
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
And I can say I am testing out the FS100 plate and accessories and I think even the pictures posted don't give full justice to the quality of the materials AND the engineering that went into making this plate. It really works well, is not overly heavy, is EXTREMELY STURDY, and will be staying on my FS100 as a permanent USEFUL necessity! :)

speedracerlo
07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I'll be ordering the top plate and a bunch of other things from berkey this week
Does anyone know if Brian is planning on designing a replacement mic holder/handle for the FS100?

cuervo
07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I'll be ordering the top plate and a bunch of other things from berkey this week
Does anyone know if Brian is planning on designing a replacement mic holder/handle for the FS100?

If you buy a toplate, I would suggest you buy, also, a crossclamp and a short threaded tube with a threaded spud block. This will accept the microphone holder in a MUCH nicer way than the stock clamp.

speedracerlo
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Oh now I understand
the microphone holder's rod is actually a 15mm rod!! so this thing can fit into any of the rail blocks or spud blocks, etc. Cuervo, if I get the pieces you just recommended, I won't get the handle+mic holder in 1 piece would I?

MichaelGrugal
07-11-2011, 05:04 PM
If we order the top plate today would it ship before July 20?

cuervo
07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Oh now I understand
the microphone holder's rod is actually a 15mm rod!! so this thing can fit into any of the rail blocks or spud blocks, etc. Cuervo, if I get the pieces you just recommended, I won't get the handle+mic holder in 1 piece would I?

If I understand what you're asking, no, you won't. Using the microphone holder rod and a cross clamp, you can make a really nice overhead handle like the one shown in the pics earlier in this thread.

jetswing
07-11-2011, 05:23 PM
If we order the top plate today would it ship before July 20?
If you really need one soon, I would contact them immediately. I was able to order one today with same day shipping. The rep that I was corresponding with was Brian -- he told me that someone had backed out of preorder and had couple in stock.

tanega
07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
The Price of the rigging

profnoxin
07-18-2011, 01:07 AM
I love this thing! Didn't even know about these guys! I'm a bad Minnesotan. Been out on the coast too long...