PDA

View Full Version : FS100 shoot in DC

Postmaster
06-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Just stumbled over this here. I understand that it was just a quick run-and-gun test.
What I really like - besides the absence of noise and the stunning clarity, itīs the first night shot I ever saw, that renders street lights in an acceptable way.

Usually you have that orange bulbs ruining every color rendition.
Chris (or Dave?) - I donīt know who of you shot this - are the DC streetlights different or did you employ in camera WB?

thanks, Frank

http://vimeo.com/24754826

eheath
06-08-2011, 03:44 AM
this makes me want to go to the bank tomorrow and get a loan haha

ectobuilder
06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
this makes me want to go to the bank tomorrow and get a loan haha

The B-Roll camera for the FS100 presumably is being announced next month. So maybe you can try there without breaking the bank?

Production Junction
06-08-2011, 08:58 AM
chris here - the settings were all on auto...and i'd like to add..the auto feature on this camera is the best i've ever seen...it seems to be programmed to be subtle but very fast...for run and gun it was a huge help.

Just stumbled over this here. I understand that it was just a quick run-and-gun test.
What I really like - besides the absence of noise and the stunning clarity, itīs the first night shot I ever saw, that renders street lights in an acceptable way.

Usually you have that orange bulbs ruining every color rendition.
Chris (or Dave?) - I donīt know who of you shot this - are the DC streetlights different or did you employ in camera WB?

thanks, Frank

http://vimeo.com/24754826

eheath
06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
The B-Roll camera for the FS100 presumably is being announced next month. So maybe you can try there without breaking the bank?

Interesting. I'm at the point where a 7-8000 dollar rig is something I need, but it would be curious to see what this broll camera is. Do you know much more about it?

Postmaster
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
chris here - the settings were all on auto...and i'd like to add..the auto feature on this camera is the best i've ever seen...it seems to be programmed to be subtle but very fast...for run and gun it was a huge help.

Anything on the DC street light Chris?
Are they that usual orangeish bulbs, or are they really white like in your video?

Thanks, Frank

Jason Allen
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Along the National Mall, where they were filming the Capital building, Washington Monument, Whitehouse, etc the streetlights are white/blue sodium vapor lamps. That said, the lighting is MUCH dimmer than the typical orange crap that ruins most other street scenes, and it's a huge challenge to shoot under them - until now apparently! That FS100 looks damn clean at 30DB.

I need to rent one of these and see if it'll fit my style... could be a winner!

alaskacameradude
06-08-2011, 05:18 PM

WOW! What lens were you using? This looks like it could be a much better
run and gun camera than I originally thought....as well as being a very
nice cinema camera!

moldcad
06-09-2011, 04:36 AM
I second the question about the lens used. If you say it's the stock zoom, I'm not gonna believe it!

MadMonkFish
06-09-2011, 05:41 AM
I second the question about the lens used. If you say it's the stock zoom, I'm not gonna believe it!

Check out the vimeo link http://vimeo.com/24754826 - I presume he shot on Nikon 70-210, more details in his write up.

Tony Hernandez
06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
On that link, he said
"I love my F3 and used it as A camera on the actual shoot"

Other thing
yes, FS100 is good at night, but i see grain see street (middle & right) from 5'' to second 20'', what about ?