PDA

View Full Version : FS-100 Footage: EastSide Food Park

Stephen Mick
06-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I went and shot some footage tonight at the EastSide Food Park in Austin, Texas. (I also ate some killer red curry, but you guys probably don't care about that.)

Anyways…

http://vimeo.com/24670007

Cory Braun
06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Could you post the link?

Stephen Mick
06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
http://vimeo.com/24670007

Cory Braun
06-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks

Cory Braun
06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Nice work. Did you use ND filters or just adjust the shutter speed?

Stephen Mick
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I kept the shutter at 1/50th for the duration. I used my Vari-ND to adjust exposure, trying to stay around f5.6 or f8.

Kholi
06-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Look good, Mr. Mick.

Since you've got the camera in hand now, hope you have some time to figure out how to tune it in the paint menus for maximum highlight protection. That way those of us getting one or using one later will have a resource! They go pretty swiftly on this camera, IMO! But, with the extensive settings there must be a way to set it up for much neater, less yellow roll off.

cheezweezl
06-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Look good, Mr. Mick.

Since you've got the camera in hand now, hope you have some time to figure out how to tune it in the paint menus for maximum highlight protection. That way those of us getting one or using one later will have a resource! They go pretty swiftly on this camera, IMO! But, with the extensive settings there must be a way to set it up for much neater, less yellow roll off.

Yo kholi. The cinematone 1 gamma seems to be the best at holding highlights. I haven't done any scientific tests but it seems to be the best. It allows levels past 100 IRE. Clipping occurs at 110

Kholi
06-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Yo kholi. The cinematone 1 gamma seems to be the best at holding highlights. I haven't done any scientific tests but it seems to be the best. It allows levels past 100 IRE. Clipping occurs at 110

Nice. You can adjust from there as well, right? I remember glancing deeply into those menus and just backed off, too little time with the camera and too many options!

morgan_moore
06-04-2011, 11:56 PM
dont jump on me but..

are you trying to make the camera look good, or bad, some pretty horrid flourecent highlights

IMO the guitarist for example you should have opened up 2 stops - this would have exposed him correctly and blown the background, which I guess would have looked far nicer than seeing the flourecent yellow

maybe thats just my style?

marlontorres
06-05-2011, 12:25 AM
What's with the big red dot in the middle of the frame?

JMartin
06-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Looks great, some beautiful shots. Thanks for posting this.

olindacat
06-05-2011, 12:31 AM

Speaking of your style, was that kite surf shot at Hookipa?

DM_rider
06-05-2011, 01:32 AM
What's with the big red dot in the middle of the frame?

My question as well

Pcenginefx
06-05-2011, 01:41 AM
My question as well

Dead pixel...

DM_rider
06-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Dead pixel...

Probably stuck, not dead.

dustylense
06-05-2011, 01:56 AM
What ya gonna do about that stuck pixel in this vid. Is it still showing in your footage?

maranfilms
06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
dont jump on me but..

are you trying to make the camera look good, or bad, some pretty horrid flourecent highlights

IMO the guitarist for example you should have opened up 2 stops - this would have exposed him correctly and blown the background, which I guess would have looked far nicer than seeing the flourecent yellow

Maybe, so why critisize his. We all have our own way of shooting, and what look works for our personal preferance, But it seems there's always someone out there that has to bring a negative vibe to the thread.

Duke M.
06-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Mr. Moore, your comments often seem disproportionately harsh. The setting sun is a yellow tone. Any reflection or highlight of that sun is going to be yellow in tone and that is what the camera is going to capture. It only takes a minute to fix when you color correct.

Yes, he could have exposed the one shot better, but a new camera used for some quick off-hand videos is going to have things like that. It wasn't intended to be a professional video. Chill.

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Look good, Mr. Mick.

Absolutely. And I'm sure there are better settings than the ones I was using, but I only had so much time to check out the settings beforehand. This was more about getting comfortable with all of the dials, switches and menus while actually shooting.

And yeah, red pixel issue. It's not there in a handful of the early shots, but I'm looking into it.

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Dead pixel...

Interestingly, I just pulled out the camera, fired it up and the "dead pixel" is gone. Back to normal. I'll assume it may have been a speck of dust on the sensor, but I'll keep my eye out for it to pop up again.

NeedCreative
06-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Mr. Moore, your comments often seem disproportionately harsh. The setting sun is a yellow tone. Any reflection or highlight of that sun is going to be yellow in tone and that is what the camera is going to capture. It only takes a minute to fix when you color correct.

Yes, he could have exposed the one shot better, but a new camera used for some quick off-hand videos is going to have things like that. It wasn't intended to be a professional video. Chill.

I agree, It looked nice for what it was, and I really didn't see any major problems and thought it looked nice (except for the stuck pixel). Besides this is a camera test.

NeedCreative
06-05-2011, 07:14 AM
I doubt that was dust, but luckily it's gone! Thanks for sharing this video, I thought it was nice.

Andrew S
06-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Stephen thanks for all your posts, proving very useful, good to know re-"dead pixel" but sony is always good with their back up. On Wednesday or Thursday as soon as it arrives in UK, lm off to look at the FS 100 as l have a reservation against one. Will be taking along manual focus FD Nikon lenses 20mm 3.5 - 50mm 1.8 - 105mm 2.5 - and a 35mm-200mm 3.5 zoom on a Voigtlander F adapter - ND control via Genus variable ND filter 72mm with step down rings for the lenses. Spent about a week sourcing the filter, rings and Voigtlander Glass I have on 2 week approval. But if l get the camera l'll get the 28-200 lenses with it and a ninja for 422 capture.

Will be testing it out against a Canon XF 305. A good camera but limited depth of field. Im hoping that the FS100 with a wide to medium lens at F8 will give the depth of field as needed and a great shallow depth of field as required.

Personally l feel this camera will be more of a game changer than the pani as it will have a wider base being a sony product and the corporate market will take up the shallower and normal depth of field look. The EX1 and Canon Xf305 all in
one camera for mass productions days are number, because your going to get a sexier look for the same bucks. Production values are changing for the lower mid range corporate budgets.

Any suggestions welcome

mcgeedigital
06-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Looks nice.

John Caballero
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
It looks excellent. Now comes the part where the "self proclaimed experts" want to enlighten us with their knowledge and critique. The only opinion and critique I care is Barry Green's. And I am sure we will here from him on this camera. Thank you Stephen for sharing!

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I doubt that was dust, but luckily it's gone! Thanks for sharing this video, I thought it was nice.

I'll be taking the camera in for a thorough checking-out on Monday, and I'll try to report back what I find.

FelixGER
06-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Another question: Can you set zebras below 70 or only 70-100 ?

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Only between 70 and 100/100+. They won't go any lower than 70 as far as I can tell.

FelixGER
06-05-2011, 08:08 AM
:(
That would have been crucial for skin exposure when using cinegamma.

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Well, I wasn't using Cinegamma this time, but I will on my next trip out with the camera. Honestly, there are so many different options/settings in the Picture Profile menu, that it's going to take some serious time and effort to get everything dialed in the way I like it.

morgan_moore
06-05-2011, 08:32 AM
...with the extensive settings there must be a way to set it up for much neater, less yellow roll off.

For those who followed the Mr Moore 'overly harsh' posts, the above is genuinely the point I was trying to make. I guess I need to work on my turn of phrase.

Viewing material from new cameras is critical for my purchase decisions and I really appreciate others uploading their footage.

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 08:38 AM
No worries, Morgan. I don't take anything I hear on the internet personally.

Based on my experiences last night, I have to say the kit lens is actually quite nice, and a lens I'll certainly keep. The range is amazing, and while it is a bit on the slow side, with the sensitivity of the FS-100 chip, it's quite usable in all but the lowest of light. About 90% of this piece was shot with it.

Pcenginefx
06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Stephen - thank you for posting the test footage, and an even BIGGER thank you for using the kit lens! I was getting tired of people posting footage with Cooke lenses that I will NEVER be able to afford :)

HVXguy
06-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Do you still have the AF100? I would love to see a side by comparision with the FS100.
I have seen several of Philip Blooms side by sides but he seems to always
end up waving candles & cigars around wondering how the cameras
will handle in the dark. Well I hardly ever shoot in the dark and
I have never filmed candles.

I would love to see some normal video that can show of the
differences between these 2 cameras.

And since both cameras can use Nikon lenses - it would make more
sense to have some testing using the same lenses on both cameras.

Duke M.
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
There is this review:
http://philipbloom.net/2011/05/05/bloomshootout/

To me it seems fairly close, but the F3 seemed a little warmer and the AF100 seemed to blow out a little more easily. FS100 in the middle where it should be.

Footage:
http://vimeo.com/23294197
http://vimeo.com/23344796

Kholi
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
For those who followed the Mr Moore 'overly harsh' posts, the above is genuinely the point I was trying to make. I guess I need to work on my turn of phrase.

Viewing material from new cameras is critical for my purchase decisions and I really appreciate others uploading their footage.

For your frame of reference, though, I'd like to point out that I've worked with the camera before and it isn't easy to tame highlights at all. What may seem a no-brainer actually isn't so obvious.

The camera will need a lot of tuning to get optimal results, and is definitely not an out-of-box image.

KyleProhaska
06-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice stuff...it was funny I recognized Julian Smith before I even saw his face (the closeup of the guy playing guitar). :P

David G. Smith
06-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Very nice. So how was the egronomics of shooting with the camera? Did you set up with a shoulder rig, or other support, or did you shoot hand held?

Kholi
06-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Do you still have the AF100? I would love to see a side by comparision with the FS100.
I have seen several of Philip Blooms side by sides but he seems to always
end up waving candles & cigars around wondering how the cameras
will handle in the dark. Well I hardly ever shoot in the dark and
I have never filmed candles.

I would love to see some normal video that can show of the
differences between these 2 cameras.

And since both cameras can use Nikon lenses - it would make more
sense to have some testing using the same lenses on both cameras.

You should definitely try out a comparison, but if I had to summarize it... I'd say...

If you want a technically better image and you're willing to foot the bill for essential extras like NDs, then FS100 is it.

If you want the better functioning camera, it's AF100 hands down.

From my own day of comparisons, nothing scientific, just shooting.

Andrew S
06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
What's the point of shooting if its not about the image, Im prepping up for my FS100 the additional cost of a variable ND is not too great for the better sensor.

Stephen Mick
06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Very nice. So how was the egronomics of shooting with the camera? Did you set up with a shoulder rig, or other support, or did you shoot hand held?

The ergonomics actually weren't as challenging as I thought they'd be. Most of the shots were from a small tripod, but a handful were handheld, using only the camera's handgrip or T-handle.

cheezweezl
06-06-2011, 01:59 AM
I second that. Ergonomically, I am kind of embracing it for what it is. There are plenty of comfortable ways to hold it and I love that it's so modular. Fix it up on rods fully loaded or strip it down to nothing. I dig it.

David G. Smith
06-06-2011, 04:35 AM
The ergonomics actually weren't as challenging as I thought they'd be. Most of the shots were from a small tripod, but a handful were handheld, using only the camera's handgrip or T-handle.

Ok. That is good to know. I was a little concerned about that.

Kholi
06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Third. I personally think that the form factor and ergonomics are very awesome, in fact. Hopoefully there's a way to block light from the screen in the future, but the handle was actually pretty sweet to me.

Stephen Mick
06-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Third. I personally think that the form factor and ergonomics are very awesome, in fact. Hopoefully there's a way to block light from the screen in the future, but the handle was actually pretty sweet to me.

Agreed. My only concern with the handle is that it…well…could feel more "solid." It's good, but I'm hoping some enterprising company out there comes up with a better solution.

David G. Smith
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Agreed. My only concern with the handle is that it…well…could feel more "solid." It's good, but I'm hoping some enterprising company out there comes up with a better solution.

Ahhhh.... I see a "Z-handle" in the near future!

Stephen Mick
06-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I think you mean, a "Zandle." :D

David G. Smith
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I think you mean, a "Zandle." :D

+1

Kholi
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Keep an eye out on Hot Rod!

MattDavis
06-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Ahhhh.... I see a "Z-handle" in the near future!

Short pole to hold a thumb or forefinger operated on-off record switch via LANC, with a pistol grip beneath. It's a Bolex H16 for the C21st.

http://www.mdma.tv/matts-grip.jpg

Ditch the silly side handle, put a 'Beefy' grip on the handle. Incorporate 'punch-in-to-focus' and 'last clip replay' into the grip (NOT power-off, puhleeze) and you have a really useful bit of ergonomics.

Look, it could be more complicated than this - a set of rails beneath the mount so you can perfectly balance most lenses with the camera on the hand grip, but in my world, your left hand is always on the lens which keeps it in check.

bkmvincent
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Short pole to hold a thumb or forefinger operated on-off record switch via LANC, with a pistol grip beneath. It's a Bolex H16 for the C21st.

Ditch the silly side handle, put a 'Beefy' grip on the handle. Incorporate 'punch-in-to-focus' and 'last clip replay' into the grip (NOT power-off, puhleeze) and you have a really useful bit of ergonomics.

Look, it could be more complicated than this - a set of rails beneath the mount so you can perfectly balance most lenses with the camera on the hand grip, but in my world, your left hand is always on the lens which keeps it in check.

I like this idea a lot. Definitely good for run-n-gunning

Kholi
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
It's the eyepiece LCD majigger throwing it off.

The camera's also too heavy for an application like this, trust me.

I think your rail idea is a good start, then managing to get a different viewfinder to get the camera off to the side would be perfect.

It won't be a cheap endavor, this FS-100, but I love it.