PDA

View Full Version : FS-100 SIGMA Lenses with OS Image Stabilization

DaingerousV
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
If I get the alpha adapter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712886-REG/Sony_LAEA1_LAEA1_ADAPTER_f_A_MOUNT_LENS.html

and then buy a third party lens with image stabilization like these sigmas.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/670028-REG/Sigma_668205_17_70mm_f_2_8_4_5_DC_Macro.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689618-REG/Sigma_583205_17_50mm_F2_8_EX_DC.html

will the image stabilization work for the lens on my FS-100?

MazingerZ
06-12-2011, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpOQ50dWmnY

1) Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (A-Mount) with Sony LA-EA1 adapter
2) Leica M 24 1.4 Summilux (shots inside the church)

jetswing
06-12-2011, 05:05 AM
will the image stabilization work for the lens on my FS-100?
Image stabilization will not work via alpha adapter. You have to use the NEX lenses.

MazingerZ
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Image stabilization will not work via alpha adapter. You have to use the NEX lenses.

Have you tested this yourself or can you let us know where you got your info ?

I didn't mention it explicitly in my post, but I shot that video that I posted.
I can hear the OS mechanism running when the OS switch on the lens is turned on and I if I move the camera/lens, I can hear the clicking sound. The sound is very faint -- I have to put my ear right on the lens in order to hear it. But I can definitely hear it so the lens is getting continuous power from the camera through the adapter. I cannot tell if it's getting enough power -- all I can tell is that it's getting power.

I have not used this lens on a Sony Alpha camera -- so I cannot make any comparisons.

jetswing
06-12-2011, 04:07 PM
This is from the manual:

You cannot set [STEADYSHOT] when an E16mm F2.8 lens (sold separately) or an A-mount lens (sold separately) is attached.

Maybe it does work. You just can't control the setting it from the camera.

Rick Burnett
06-12-2011, 05:24 PM
My guess in the IS must be turned on at the lens, and not through the camera body.

MazingerZ
06-12-2011, 05:56 PM
My guess in the IS must be turned on at the lens, and not through the camera body.

As you may know, the image stabilisation on Alpha cameras is on the body/sensor.
Therefore there is no "Steadyshot" function/control from the body to the lens.
And none of the Sony A-mount lenses have optical stabilisation.
The Sony FS 100 manual only talks about Sony lenses.

Sigma (and I believe only Sigma) make their lenses with OS avaialable for Alpha cameras.
The lens stabilisation should not be used at the same time as the Alpha camera/sensor stabilisation.

Based on my actual test, when it's mounted on the FS 100 using the Sony adapter, the OS runs continuously when the camera is on and the OS switch on the lens is on.

stevedocmaker
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Are the shots with the Sigma hand held? Are any at 50mm?

alarch
06-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Sigma (and I believe only Sigma) make their lenses with OS avaialable for Alpha cameras.
The lens stabilisation should not be used at the same time as the Alpha camera/sensor stabilisation.

With alpha mount or any mount with adapter too?

The As100 needs to send some power to the lense IS or OS witch adapters do actually do that for nikon mount or alpha mount?

In your shots the stabilization doesn't seem that great . If I compare to my IS canon lenses with a 5D the stabilization is much better on the canon lenses. Therefore I wonder if the is really worker on your shots?

MazingerZ
06-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Are the shots with the Sigma hand held? Are any at 50mm?

The first shot of the police officer on the horse at 0:09 is at 50mm handheld.

MazingerZ
06-13-2011, 02:36 AM
With alpha mount or any mount with adapter too?

The As100 needs to send some power to the lense IS or OS witch adapters do actually do that for nikon mount or alpha mount?

In your shots the stabilization doesn't seem that great . If I compare to my IS canon lenses with a 5D the stabilization is much better on the canon lenses. Therefore I wonder if the is really worker on your shots?

I'm only talking about A-mount lenses.

The stabilisation may not be as good as a on a Canon EF lens with IS on a DSLR.
But I'm 100% sure that the OS is working, I can see the difference with it on or off, especially on the tiny movenents.

If you compare the shot with the Sigma at 50mm that I mentioned in my previous post, and the last shot with the Leica lens without stabilisation you can clearly see the difference with the tiny movements, and the Leica was at 24mm. Also that was the first time I've held the FS 100 and I'm still getting used to it and it can be improved with practice.

But I normally use a monopod when I shoot video either with a DSLR or a video camera -- I cannot hand hold the FS 100 for more than a few of minutes.
Here's a video using a monopod (Manfrotto 558B Video Monopod with 501PL Quick Release plate).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGz5F1PjVEk

Again, you will see some tiny movements with the Leica lenses even with the monopod, but the ones on the Sigma are stable.

Lenses used:
1) Leica Summilux-M 35 1.4 ASPH
2) Slow Motion - Leica Summilux-M 50 1.4 ASPH
3) Chinese music group indoors - Leica Summilux-M 24 1.4 ASPH
4) The rest are with the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS

DaingerousV
06-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Hmm that looks good. I've heard that the different lens makers have different levels of image stabilization in their image stabilization technology so it wouldn't surprise me that the Canons work better, but any little bit helps! Plus a 17-50 sigma 2.8 with image stabilization ain't too shabby of lens to have!

Now if only they had their 50-150 2.8 with image stabilization as well.

Does the autofocus or any of the other features work?

allantab
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpOQ50dWmnY

1) Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (A-Mount) with Sony LA-EA1 adapter
2) Leica M 24 1.4 Summilux (shots inside the church)

Hi MazingerZ, with the Sony LA-EA1 adapter for the sony or minolta mount and the Sigma 17-50mm lens, can you control the aperture via the FS100 body (as if it were a native E-mount lens)? thanks!

MazingerZ
06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
You can use the aperture dial on the camera to manually change the aperture, and it displays the aperture setting on the screen.
When you open the aperture, for example from 5.6 to 5.0, instead of incrementally opening the aperture to 5.0, the aperture blades first 'reset' to the widest opening (2.8) and therefore the image will become too bright briefly, then the blades close down to 5.0. And it makes 2 loud clicking sounds in the process.

When you close the aperture, for example from 5.0 to 5.6, then it does it normally/incrementally with one click.

In contrast, the aperture blades on the the kit lens (18-200) open and close smoothly without any clicks.

As mentioned in the manual, you cannot use auto-iris (aperture) and auto-focus (push-focus or continuous focus) with Alpha lenses on the FS 100.
I'm talking about the FS 100 specifically -- I'm not sure about other NEX cameras like the VG10 and NEX-5.

Rick Burnett
06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for this info, I had been wondering about the Sigma lenses on this adapter.

allantab
06-16-2011, 07:49 PM
MazingerZ, thanks for the reply regarding the sony / minolta mount adapter to the NEX native e-mount (LA-EA1). I wanted to know how well the LA-EA1 adapter worked with alpha mount lenses and the FS100. It's weird how when opening the aperture, the blades reset to fully wide open, then close down to the appropriate aperture you picked. Is this the case with just the sigma 17-50mm a-mount lens, or other a-mount lenses also?

I was looking at lens choices for the FS100, and wanted a mid-range or wide zooms like a tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or tamron or sigma 17-50mm or 18-50mm f/2.8. So I was looking at alpha mounts, and nikon f-mounts. The problem with some of the newer nikon lenses is that they have no aperture ring, so the various nikon adapters (kipon or bower, MTF, voigtlander, etc) have some type of external aperture control, but you don't know the exact aperture you are at, by adjusting manually. So it's nice to know you can buy native alpha or sony/minolta lenses, and with the LA-EA1 adapter, get electronic control of the aperture.

jetswing
06-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I was looking at lens choices for the FS100, and wanted a mid-range or wide zooms like a tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or tamron or sigma 17-50mm or 18-50mm f/2.8. So I was looking at alpha mounts, and nikon f-mounts. The problem with some of the newer nikon lenses is that they have no aperture ring, so the various nikon adapters (kipon or bower, MTF, voigtlander, etc) have some type of external aperture control, but you don't know the exact aperture you are at, by adjusting manually. So it's nice to know you can buy native alpha or sony/minolta lenses, and with the LA-EA1 adapter, get electronic control of the aperture.

I currently have the Tokina 11-16mm with the LA-EA1. When you open up the aperture, it does go wide open for a brief second like MazingerZ had described above.

Barry_Green
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
In reading the FS100 manual, the Alpha mount adapter won't allow for any auto functions with any Alpha-mount lens. No optical image stabilization, no automatic iris, no autofocus. Alpha-mount lenses, when used on the LA-EA1, are strictly manual/non-stabilized lenses. You can use the camera's iris wheel to control the aperture, but that's all.

Rick Burnett
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
It was my understanding that you couldn't turn on the OIS from the body, but you could still turn it on at the lens as it was getting power. This seems to be what I have read other people getting. Now I don't know if that is SONY Alpha mount lenses, but I thought I read that non-SONY lenses were able to engage the OIS from the lens side.

alexdias
06-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Wondering about the same issues for this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=545868&is=REG

MazingerZ
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I already answered all the questions in my previous posts.
I have this lens (Sigma 2.8 with OS Alpha mount using the LA-EA1 adapter) and I've tested it and I've posted a couple of videos shot with it.

To summarise:

Yes, the OS works on the Alpha-mount Sigma lens with the adapter on the FS 100 - the OS switch is on the lens.
The Sony (and Tokina and Tamron) Alpha-mount lenses do not have stabilisation in the lens, therefore they will not have stabilisation on the FS 100.
The Sony Alpha DSLR cameras have 'Steadyshot' in the DSLR body/sensor.
When using the Sigma OS lens on an Alpha DSLR cameras, you can use either the OS on the lens or the 'Steadyshot' on the body/sensor -- but not both at the same time.

You can hear the OS working on the Sigma lens mounted on the FS 100 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_X_gVI5hc

I'm moving the camera on purpose so you can hear it working.

MazingerZ
06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Wondering about the same issues for this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=545868&is=REG

As already mentioned in the previous posts in this thread, none of the Sony Alpha-mount lenses have stabilisation.
If you read the description in that B&H link, it says "In-Camera stabilisation" and it's not on the lens.

Again, the only Alpha-mount lenses that have stabilisation on the lens are the Sigma OS lenses.

alexdias
06-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes. Your second video have some really good handheld shots which makes me very hopeful for run and gun with a lens like the Sigma and the OS is clearly working as you say.
Thank you.

Michael Vargas
08-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I had a quick question about shooting video w/ the Sigma. I had a 18-200mm Sigma on my 7D and whenever I would zoom in or out the lens would automatically make aperture adjustments. Have you found your 17-50mm Sigma to do this same "auto exposure" on your FS100?

Thanks

maarek
08-14-2011, 06:48 AM
I had a quick question about shooting video w/ the Sigma. I had a 18-200mm Sigma on my 7D and whenever I would zoom in or out the lens would automatically make aperture adjustments. Have you found your 17-50mm Sigma to do this same "auto exposure" on your FS100?

Thanks

Constant aperture lenses don't do that on the 7d. The 17-50mm sigma is f2.8 constant so it will not do that.

P. Harrill
08-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Am I correct in assuming that only Alpha-mount Sigmas with OS -- as opposed to Nikon-mount Sigmas -- would allow image stabilization since the Nikon adapters (like the Novoflex) can't provide any power to the lens?