PDA

View Full Version : My Sony FS100 Experience

rgdfilms
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Just unwrapped the new Sony FS100. This thing is tiny and super light... I like the modular design of the system and all the threads to screw things into. Batteries are charging now. I'll report back with a test video hopefully very late tonight. I'm taking this camera & a Red MX with me to Houston for a 2-day music festival, SUMMERFEST happening this weekend. Ween & Weezer and many others. Going to stress this camera out all week and I'll hopefully report back with some kind of viable user report as to how it performs.

Here's a picture of the camera with a Canon k35 18mm T1.5 SUPERSPEED. Can't wait to see that sucker in 30 db..

mico
05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
I've heard the complaints, but I just love this form factor. Did anyone ever see a panavision stripped down? Its just a box to build on too. I look forward to the report. I'd like to know if you feel confident with that top handle and that lens. Thanks

Cosimo Bullo
05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Go, Rick, Go!

ectobuilder
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Just unwrapped the new Sony FS100. This thing is tiny and super light... I like the modular design of the system and all the threads to screw things into. Batteries are charging now. I'll report back with a test video hopefully very late tonight. I'm taking this camera & a Red MX with me to Houston for a 2-day music festival, SUMMERFEST happening this weekend. Ween & Weezer and many others. Going to stress this camera out all week and I'll hopefully report back with some kind of viable user report as to how it performs.

Here's a picture of the camera with a Canon k35 18mm T1.5 SUPERSPEED. Can't wait to see that sucker in 30 db..

Congrats and good look shooting!

Kraut69
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Would like to hear what the production unit has that the pre-production models didn't have, and still waiting for a link to the owner's manual.

cheezweezl
05-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Post up details on those menu's!!! I'm dying to know how deep the paint menu is.

rgdfilms
05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Ok... this camera officially sees in the dark... Going to go play around in a second.. night time skate video..

J Davis
05-31-2011, 10:48 PM
hi Rick, is that the e to pl from mtf?

rgdfilms
05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes, that's the MTF E-->PL mount. Bought it from Abel. Was hoping for a 16x9 mount but I heard they're pretty much the same..

J Davis
05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Thx, can u tell me if there back focus adjustment in that adapter? (I've heard there is none in camera)

Pcenginefx
05-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Please give your comments on build quality if you can as well - thanks!

morgan_moore
06-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Juat a couple of Qs !

Keep rolling
-If you pull the HDMI lead out during a take does it stop rolling/recording

Manual control
-can you easily adjust manual WB
-Gain/ISO
-shutter speed

Monitor
-is there onscreen histogram
-if so is it RGB
-on screen sound levels
-is there focus check punch in (while rolling)
-can this stuff show on an external monitor
- does the onboard mon do a full 180 to face someone recording themself(!)

Access to controls
-can you control most basic functions while the top monitor is closed
-can you adjust the sound levels while the top is closed

24/25p
I guess you have to choose PAL or NTSC version still

Diffraction
Using for RnG I guess I may stop down a lot for the ‘2/3’ look for a easy focussing
Do you witness diffraction (softer image) at small T stop say 11-16

ND/gain
Can you guide on the basic ND set you have
Id like to open to at least T4 on a sunny day at 1/50 shutter
Is there negative gain selectable, if so does this reduce DR in a drastic manner

Moiree
Of course the big let down of my canons is Mr Stripey shirt, does this camera like him

Jello
How apparent is it compared to a Canon

Disco lights/Strobes
Any experience?

kprince
06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
nice, they are arriving..

rgdfilms
06-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Here is a quickie we shot earlier tonight...

30 db

Superspeed Canons

http://vimeo.com/24509555

FelixGER
06-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Why did you use cinetone 2?
You wrote that you lowered the contrast. Does the paint menu have a contrast setting?
If so, itīs completely different to the NX5 which is nxcam too.

Edit: Just watched the video. OLOLOL! Really funny!

Canīt judge the noise because itīs not downloadable. Can you make it downloadable?

Your next task is posting pictures of the paint menu! ;)

Edit 2: I see you also shot on the F3. Could you compare the noiselevels?

remoteman
06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Aahhh wow. Loved the video hah, and the footage looks great. Wish i had the dough.... :/

Pcenginefx
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Looks AMAZING in low light at 30db! I'm pretty much sold on the camera, however I need to see more footage with the stock lens...

imag
06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks so much for posting footage. With two weeks of night shooting this summer, this camera is going to save a huge amount of time - and we should be able to get a really unique look.

Question though: the DOF seemed very large for T1.5/1.6. Were you shooting wide open?

imag
06-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Looks AMAZING in low light at 30db! I'm pretty much sold on the camera, however I need to see more footage with the stock lens...

The stock lens does not do this camera justice. That much is clear even from footage on Vimeo and YouTube. I would just spend the $800 on a nice prime and an adapter.

ectobuilder
06-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Here is a quickie we shot earlier tonight...

30 db

Superspeed Canons

http://vimeo.com/24509555

What technique did you use to shoot the footage? i.e. using the stock handle? DSLR ENG Rig? Stock handle removed? Zacuto viewfinder? ...etc.

NeedCreative
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much for posting footage. With two weeks of night shooting this summer, this camera is going to save a huge amount of time - and we should be able to get a really unique look.

Question though: the DOF seemed very large for T1.5/1.6. Were you shooting wide open?

I thought the same on the DOF - doesn't look like T1.5 in most shots at all, closer to a T4 or 6 (or greater?)

mico
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
He said he's at 30db. Thats a 16000 ISO. I doubt he was wide open.

J Davis
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
yo ... just a great big thank you from me for posting some footage

Rick Burnett
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, 30dB is WAY cleaner than I expected even for Vimeo compression. Can't wait to get my FS100 Saturday!!!

zeke
06-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Even at night, it still blows out the highlights. Something to watch out for. Thanks for posting the video though.

nyvz
06-01-2011, 08:41 PM
At first I figured the 18mm lens and long distance to subject explained what some people seemed to think was unexpectedly deep dof, which I imagine may still be partially the case, but it did seem like even despite those the dof was a bit deeper than expected considering t1.5 lenses. Also there is a shot around 0:21 where there is a splitscreen in which the left image seems significantly brighter and shallower in DOF than the rest of the dark EXT skateboarding stuff. This makes me wonder if the lens was stopped down a bit for the skateboarding so it would be easier to keep it in focus. Then again the left image was also a tighter shot so maybe it was just a bright environment and a tight shot with relatively close focus.

Pcenginefx
06-01-2011, 09:54 PM
The stock lens does not do this camera justice. That much is clear even from footage on Vimeo and YouTube. I would just spend the $800 on a nice prime and an adapter.

I already have Canon L glass for my primes - but I do need a lens like the one that comes with it so that I can use it for event shooting.

David G. Smith
06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I am tellin' ya, that sh*t is crazy. The low light performance is amazing. I can not wait to get mine (Which should be in next week) and shot. The first lens I am going to put on the bad girl* is going to be a vintage pre-AI Nikkor 50mm f1.4. That lens sees in the dark on my Canon HD-DSLR and am willing to bet that it will be impressive on the FS-100.

* That's right, I give my cameras girls names! Mostly that is an homage to "Full Metal Jacket" ... "You will give you weapon a girls name, because this is the only p***y you are going to get...". My FS-100 shall be known as, "Francine".

LuckyStudio 13
06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
+1

The first lens I am going to put on the bad girl* is going to be a vintage pre-AI Nikkor 50mm f1.4.

* That's right, I give my cameras girls names! Mostly that is an homage to "Full Metal Jacket" ... "You will give you weapon a girls name, because this is the only p***y you are going to get...". My FS-100 shall be known as, "Francine".

Postmaster
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I

Splendid idea - I gonna call mine Alexa http://www.ask1.org/modules/Forums/images/smiles/zwinker.gif
Frank

vcfilms
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Splendid idea - I gonna call mine Alexa http://www.ask1.org/modules/Forums/images/smiles/zwinker.gif
Frank

Just dont tell too many people your camera is Alexa. They might get a little confused when you show up with you FS-100 and not an Alexa :)

MattDavis
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I gonna call mine Alexa

She's most welcome to visit my little Penelope (http://www.aaton.com/images/penelope5.jpg)...

rgdfilms
06-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Keep rolling
-If you pull the HDMI lead out during a take does it stop rolling/recording

Not sure... Will check when I get a chance...

Manual control
-can you easily adjust manual WB
-Gain/ISO
-shutter speed

White balance is adjusted with two clicks. You select the manual control on the side of the camera then use the click wheel to go up in down in Kelvin. 100 pt. increments of adjustment. GAIN/ISO has to be preset in the main menu. You go to main menu then go to GAIN then select your GAIN for L, M, H. There is no negative gain. It's baseline is at 0 and goes up in 3 pt. increments. Gain adjustment happens live. There is also an AUTO GAIN feature. You can set a limit of how high you want it to go. It seems kinda useful. I prefer to just preset it. Shutter is adjusted like the white balance. You select it once then use the click wheel to go up or down. 1/24, 30db with a 1.4 lens is night vision...

Monitor
-is there onscreen histogram
-if so is it RGB
-on screen sound levels
-is there focus check punch in (while rolling)
-can this stuff show on an external monitor
- does the onboard mon do a full 180 to face someone recording themself(!)

There is an onscreen histogram that is activated with one of the user buttons. It's very useful. They have a vertical yellow line that shows you where you clip out your whites so keep everything behind that realm and you'll be OK. The dynamic range on this camera is not like the F3 or a Red MX. You have to be careful to not blow things out. The histogram is NOT RGB. There are on-screen levels for sound! Yay! There is an EXPANDED FOCUS button that is very useful. You can turn it ON and OFF while rolling. I wish the button was in a more logical spot. I would have preferred it to be right below the record button on the side handle or more towards the back of the camera. I find myself having to look for the button rather than just feel for it. There are a lot of buttons on this camera. I think Sony could have put less buttons. There is a lot of redundancy and a higher risk of pressing the wrong button in a pinch. I need to check if an external monitor will show all the menu items. My guess is yes... And yes, you can see yourself if you flip the monitor around. Speaking of which, I kinda wish the monitor was off to the side of the camera rather than on the front. Putting it on the front is going to limit how you hold it and what you can do with it. Don't know why SONY chose the top.

Access to controls
-can you control most basic functions while the top monitor is closed
-can you adjust the sound levels while the top is closed

YES.

24/25p
I guess you have to choose PAL or NTSC version still

I have the NTSC version.

Diffraction
Using for RnG I guess I may stop down a lot for the ‘2/3’ look for a easy focussing
Do you witness diffraction (softer image) at small T stop say 11-16

Haven't noticed it yet... but will check... Been shooting everything at a 5.6 and below mainly..

ND/gain
Can you guide on the basic ND set you have
Id like to open to at least T4 on a sunny day at 1/50 shutter
Is there negative gain selectable, if so does this reduce DR in a drastic manner

No negative gain. Adding gain doesn't seem to reduce DR at all. Right now I'm using a LightCraft Workshop Fader ND filter with my Canon k35s. I have a Redrock 2-stage mattebox and a full set of Schneider 4x5.65 filters but haven't used it since I need to figure out some kinda 19mm rig for the camera. The fader seems to work fine although at focal ranges higher than 60mm, I notice a reduction in resolution because of the filter. Not the cameras fault...

Moiree
Of course the big let down of my canons is Mr Stripey shirt, does this camera like him

Haven't noticed any issues like the Canon cameras yet... Real world moire seems fine to me.

Jello
How apparent is it compared to a Canon

Way betttterrrr,,,, Almost non-existent really.. Very impressed..

Disco lights/Strobes
Any experience?

I'll know after I film this concert this weekend...

Overall I am really impressed with this little beast.... I'll have a bigger report after I return home and after this 2-day super intense job I'm about to do this weekend but so far so good.

Quick notes,

PROS

Lightweight.
Clean image at high ISOs.
Small & compact.
Being able to use s35 glass with ease.
Long long long battery life.
Long long long long recording durations.
Files are easy to use in FCP.
XLR onboard recording.
Histogram / Expanded focus button.
Good color reproduction, especially at super high ISOs.
Easy to use.

CONS

Dynamic range doesn't seem as wide as a 5D Mark II or an F3.
Too plastic. If I dropped this camera, I fear that it would shatter.
Buttons are redundant. I would have liked more customization and better button placement design.
Side handle and top handle feel like they would break easily.
LCD screen smudges very easily.
Having to carry around the EVF attachment is a pain in the ass. LCD screen isn't the brightest in direct sunlight. (expected)
LCD on top of the camera is an ergonomic nightmare. Handholding the camera hurts the wrist after a short period of time. Good in theory but doesn't work with actual shooting.

morgan_moore
06-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Thank you for taking the time

S

NeedCreative
06-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Thank you much for taking the time to answer those questions. I'm a bit concerned by your cons list, especially the DR, build, EVF, and hand hold comments. Hmmm.

ectobuilder
06-03-2011, 09:03 AM
CONS
Dynamic range doesn't seem as wide as a 5D Mark II or an F3.

QUESTION 1: Please elaborate? Under which situations is this more apparent?

QUESTION 2: Would you take this over the moire in the 5D? And given that this camera is 3 times cheaper than the F3, would you put up with this?

rgdfilms
06-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Here is another test clip. Daytime material... Lots of lighting situations..

http://vimeo.com/24634994

ectobuilder
06-03-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks! You're awesome!

Just to double check all exposure changes were done manually?

rgdfilms
06-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes, mainly just to show when this camera blows out the highlights...

Alvise Tedesco
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe less dynamic range than 5d/7d, but it looks like roll off in clipped highlights is much nicer than af100, isn't it?
Btw, Rick, thanks for posting. You're a genious. I stopped by many of your videos laughing a lot

Jason Allen
06-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for posting this wealth of information on the FS100! I'm eager to see your concert footage!!

morgan_moore
06-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Nice - great variance,

we do see a little gack at the top end but also how opening up a little can sort it

1.36 the car windo goes a little wonk but I guess this may be some sort of reaction from the window glass

thanks for posting :)

S