PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone considering Camera Insurance?

speedracerlo
05-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Was wondering if anyone was thinking about getting their camera insured in case of damage/theft/loss etc?
I never had insurance for my camera before and was thinking about getting the extended warranty from B&H, but sometimes it seems like insurance would be a safer bet if the cost isn't too much.

I read a story about some guy who rented out his camera to some random dude (who happenned to be a legendary con artist) and this focker took off with the camera and never got caught. Owner of the camera didn't have insurance and he didn't get a penny.

I'll be using the camera on things like a car mount with triangulation and a 12ft crane.

I don't even know where to start looking for insurance. Do I go to my homeowner's insurance policy to add my camera as an asset? Does anyone have experience with insuring their camera?

morgan_moore
05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Is anyone considering Camera Insurance?

Is anyone NOT considering Camera Insurance?

speedracerlo
05-27-2011, 01:36 PM
welll I have never had it before and never thought of it up until now
I didn't insure my DSLRs even when I had my 1dmk3 which cost just as much as the FS100 when it was new, but I guess DSLRs are not prone to getting damaged as much as videocameras
a bit more informative reply would have been nice too

morgan_moore
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Well I guess from your site you shoot for money, cutting corners means you can be cheaper (in the short term and broke in the long term)

this means you undercut people who are running their business right and damage the industry by lowering price expectations by damaging the profit margin for all shooters on your route to bancrupcy (or daddy buying you a new camera which ever applies)

hence the chippy reply

I use Towergate in the UK, I guess locals to you can advise

S

morgan_moore
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
not only should you insure your camera you should get public liability insurance because when your car mount fails and takes the limb off a passing pedestrian, or you blind someone by smacking them with your crane they are going to sue you for a couple of million - and win

speedracerlo
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't really get the reason for the tone of your reply, but I'm just not as seasoned as some of the veteran filmmakers on this forum and I still have much to learn. I have not been shooting for money for that long.
I always liked your products on halfinchrails, but isn't what you're offering a kind of undercutting in the business? Doesn't mean it's bad, it just caters to different kind of customers.

MattDavis
05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
+1 for TowerGate in the UK - they handled an almost totalled EX1R quickly and without question. It's covered when I go abroad with it, and most importantly, I get 5m Public Liability insurance with it - the norm is 2M, but many agency clients and any client with US connections demands 5m. I know many insurance companies get all funny about this and double/treble the premium.

All my gear is insured, including laptops. If/when something happens, you need to act quickly - replacing a laptop, or mending a bashed lens... If you're waiting and saving, you're not earning.

Duke M.
05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
If its a new camera there is a company on the B&H website that you can get a quote online. Another member had an issue with his EX1R and it was taken care of properly. You are required to produce your receipt.

speedracerlo
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
thanks, so the equipment insurance can come with a public liability insurance as a package.

Duke, I'm not sure if that company on B&H is an insurance company, if it's Sagemax that's just warranty coverage
can anyone in California recommend an insurance company like towergate which offers public liability together?
the only kind of insurance I've purchased before was worker's comp from a 3rd party production company offering it on the side.

Duke M.
05-28-2011, 04:51 AM
From your original post I thought you were looking for camera coverage. If you want liability insurance (and you should have it for a production) you need a production package, liability, work comp, and equipment coverage.

Here's the one I use, but there are many others. So far I've never had to make a claim against them. (BTW, coverage for a few months is nearly the cost of coverage for the year, so get year long coverage quotes.)

Phillip Kohn
Supple-Merrill & Driscoll, Inc.
550 El Dorado Street
Pasadena, CA 91101
Phone: (626) 795-9921
Fax: (626) 844-6403
Email: phillip@productioninsurance.com

Although you can separate them and get work comp from places like SCIF (State Compensation Insurance Fund) found everywhere in California. SCIF has to take everyone. Then you can get separate camera coverage and just get liability insurance. Many people find it easier to do one stop shopping though.

From your one comment about rentals, I'd check carefully to see if the coverage included rentals.