PDA

View Full Version : Batteries for the FS100....

Rick Burnett
05-24-2011, 03:27 PM
So this will be my first Sony camera (other than a TRV940 years ago), and so I am not well versed on the battery options.

Sony batteries? Which will work?

Second hand batteries? Any recommendations?

Multi-chargers? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Rick

FelixGER
05-24-2011, 03:35 PM
As I said in the other thread http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?250166-Re-Anton-Bauer-ElipZ-10K-battery-vs-Sony-NP-F970

My NX5 which is NXCAM just like the FS100 does NOT accept third party batteries I use in my Z7. It says: "Battery overheating" and switches off.

Postmaster
05-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Does the FS100 have a DC in?

I hope to run the camera, moitor, recorder, light, transmitter andwhatnot from a single V-mount battery.
But there are different voltages and plugs of course.

Someone posted a link to a chinese made V-mount plate that supports 3 different voltages on 3 connectors, but I donīt speak Chinese and the site has no English version. Kinda stuck.

Frank

speedracerlo
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I plan on buying a Genuine Sony NP-F970 from Amazon for $100
that should run all day and I can keep the NP-F770 (2/3rd capacity) that comes with the camera as backup
I also have a Genuine NP-F570 (1/3rd the capacity of F970) that I use with my TV-logic VFM-056WP as a slim battery and I can also use this on the FS100 (i got this on an ebay auction for $18)
Just stick with the genuine Sony batteries

the fakes all have a PACMAN like symbol on the battery, just look out for those fakes cuz they won't work on some cameras like the NX5 and maybe even the FS100

Rick Burnett
05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks, and I agree! I DO NOT want to get stuck with a useless battery. So which battery lasts 7 hours? I think I will go look up some further specs because sometimes I need my camera lighter so I want to see the difference in weights.

Has anyone seen a multicharger?

NeedCreative
05-25-2011, 05:33 AM
Thanks, and I agree! I DO NOT want to get stuck with a useless battery. So which battery lasts 7 hours? I think I will go look up some further specs because sometimes I need my camera lighter so I want to see the difference in weights.

The NP-F970 is quoted in Sony's brochure as getting 510 min. 8.5 hours. I assume the NP-F7X0 gets about 5 hours.

The camera seems to have a DC in may use some kind of special Sony plug (Sony AC-VL1 charger/ac adapter) based on past experiences.

adolgin
05-25-2011, 06:19 AM
As I said in the other thread http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?250166-Re-Anton-Bauer-ElipZ-10K-battery-vs-Sony-NP-F970

My NX5 which is NXCAM just like the FS100 does NOT accept third party batteries I use in my Z7. It says: "Battery overheating" and switches off.

Felix, stating that a camera does not accept third party batteries is a little too broad. It all boils down to the Sony handshake protocol, which the camera uses to id the battery. Many manufacturers reverse engineered that protocol and sell Sony replacement batteries for years, making the cameras think that they are powered by real Sony batteries. It might be that the particular one you tried to use was not able to do exactly that. Off coarse I can not be 100% sure which one will work, as I do not own the camera to try it out (we carry Lenmar brand for years, which worked fine with the other Sony cams), but even if Sony changed something in their protocol to make it more difficult to defeat, it will not be too long before the Asian manufacturers will figure it out :-)

adolgin
05-25-2011, 06:23 AM
We make several different models for the NP-F970 batteries.
Please visit our website, or order through B&H, Abel Cine or any other major dealers (http://dolgin.net/Dealers.htm) (the list is on our website).
HTH

vcfilms
05-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Hey Alex,

Anything like the SWIT S-8U62 with dc power for the nano?

Thanks!

adolgin
05-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Nope :-(
Spoke too soon. Swit makes one, we can get you a NPF-970 replacement with a DC jack built in. The part number S-8972

vcfilms
05-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Damn! Hopefully soon

adolgin
05-25-2011, 07:41 AM
In the mean time there is a good clean solution to power the Nano using our NF adapter (http://dolgin.net/zen_dolgin/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=77) and the Westside AV mounting bracket. You would attach one half of the bracket to the Nano (there are holes there), the other to our adapter. The adapter takes the Sony battery, it will run the nanoFlash forever. You do not have to use a full size Sony battery if want to make it more compact, as the power consumption is very little, about 5W. Here are some images (http://dolgin.net/exv-extra.htm) taken by Olof of Westside AV. The battery shown is Panasonic, but it can be Sony, or Canon.

Rick Burnett
05-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks Alex, that is what I wanted to know. I have a gift certificate I need to use for B+H so that works perfect for me :)

adolgin
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM
You are welcome, fyi sometimes when they do not have some specific configuration in stock, they direct us to drop ship directly to the customer.

Postmaster
05-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I really want this one:

http://img04.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i4/37063337/T250dAXa4XXXXXXXXX_!!37063337.jpg

You bolt on a regular V-Mount and got connectors for 12, 7.5 and 5 volt.

Would be great to power everything from camera, light, recorder, monitor andwhatnot from just one battery.

The problem is, the site is Chinese and I have no idea how to order.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9099071019

Cinese anyone? Peeeeease!

Frank

Duke M.
05-30-2011, 08:36 AM
It does look interesting. Here's a rough translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fitem.taobao.com%2Fitem.htm%3Fid%3D9 099071019&act=url

700 Yaun is about 75 Euros or $107 dollars.

The other thing is the FS100 doesn't have a DC in port. You'll have to take an AC adapter, cut the slide-in-plate off and add a plug (until someone makes one).

adolgin
05-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Damn! Hopefully soon

Hmm, what if I say they are available from stock? Apparently I spoke too soon http://www.swit.us/s8972-dv-liion-bat8972.html

bkmvincent
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
When it comes to buying inexpensive off-brand stuff, things like batteries and power adapters I try to stay away from. This kind of stuff can ruin expensive equipment very quickly.

Not to say that proven third-party brands are out of the question, however.

Rick Burnett
06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
So I ordered a NP-F970 (103.00) and I ordered this AWESOME charger from Sony. I love that I can charge 2 batteries AND use it with my car if I need to without using a power inverter (less to carry).

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ACVQ1050D-Adaptor-SuperQuick-Batteries/dp/B0009Y2WMG

Stephen Mick
06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Nice find, Rick. I may have to pick one of those up.

Stephen Mick
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
According to the User Manual, the NP-F970 and 770 (supplied with camera) will work with the FS-100, but the 570 will NOT work.

Rick Burnett
06-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It popped up in the "related" area when I was searching B+H. Someone programmed a good algorithm there. Although B+H were out of stock and both items were cheaper off of Amazon so I bought from there.

Jean-Philippe
06-03-2011, 04:02 PM
According to the User Manual, the NP-F970 and 770 (supplied with camera) will work with the FS-100, but the 570 will NOT work.

Can you upload the manual Stephen? Is there a pdf version?

Rick Burnett
06-03-2011, 04:38 PM
If that is true, we should make that a sticky in here so people will see it. They might not know.

speedracerlo
06-11-2011, 04:46 AM
I just tried using a generic NP-F970 in my FS100 sucessfully and it seems to be recognizing and reading the power levels somewhat accurately. Although a normal charge was reading at 85%, I probably needed to do a 'full charge'.
This NP-F970 was the generic kind that IKAN sells with some of their monitors. I have a genuine NP-F970 coming from amazon soon, so I'll compare the two and see if there's any benefit to using more genuine ones for backups.

NeedCreative
06-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I've also used a generic $20 battery NP-F970 equiv and it charges and works perfectly. The battery level seems fairly accurate.

ectobuilder
06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Sony branded NP-F970 all the way. Shot 2 hours with it yesterday and still 90% full!

Postmaster
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I wonder who is making those batteries for Sony. Anyone know?

morgan_moore
06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Two questions..

Are there batteries that show levels when not attached to the camera (see sony ex1 kit battery)

I love to give all my batts a quick check B4 departing for the day without having to hook them up to a camera

-----

I have a Vlock system, I guess this could run the FS100 with a dummy battery that stepped down the voltage

any solutions?

S

cheezweezl
06-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I have 2 real 970 batteries and have noticed the following.

1. These batteries take around 12 hours to charge. Is this normal?
2. The camera shows battery level at 100% for a long time, like hours. Then once it starts dropping, the level will drop, then go back up, then drop some more. Then once it hits around 40%, I get the low battery warning.

Anybody else having the same experience? I did shoot almost the entire day yesterday on one battery. It's a good thing because at a 12 hour recharge rate, I could have been hosed...

speedracerlo
06-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Cheez, are you sure you have the Genuine Sony batteries as there are so many good looking knockoffs that do not perform like the real one
if it is the genuine giving you those issues, that is a bit troublesome

cheezweezl
06-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Cheez, are you sure you have the Genuine Sony batteries as there are so many good looking knockoffs that do not perform like the real one
if it is the genuine giving you those issues, that is a bit troublesome

I thought about that actually. How could I tell? Both batteries cam in very legit looking Sony packaging and both say Sony, etc. I got them from amazon but not at the same time and from two different sellers.

One thing I have noticed is that the Sony logo isn't quite the same color as on the 770 that came with the camera. But otherwise it looks legit.

Also I was wrong about 12 hours. I started charging one at 10p last night. I took it off the charger at 1:30p today and it was still going. This is crazy.

adolgin
06-12-2011, 04:08 PM
What charger do you use?

speedracerlo
06-12-2011, 04:12 PM
That definitely sounds suspicious, I don't think charging a 970 should take more than 5 hours as the 770 charged from zero to full in about 3 hours
The fake batteries do come in very legit looking packaging and sometimes Amazon can't sort through all of their vendors to prevent fakes from being sold
do any of your batteries have the 'Pacman' like symbol before the NP-F970 print?

cheezweezl
06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
No pac man but I just confirmed these are fake. I found a YouTube video where a guy breaks one open to reveal the fake inside. My batteries match those and not the 770 that came with the cam. I paid $100 each for them. Oh well. Back to amazon.....

rgdfilms
06-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I bought two Canon batteries off Amazon. Suffice it to say, I won't be buying batteries on Amazon anymore.. Luckily the seller fully refunded me for my fakes. Good luck

David G. Smith
06-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I have a couple of generic eBay Sony batteries that I bought a few years ago for a Sony DSR PD-150. The oldest, from 2005, powers up the FS-100, but after a couple of minutes I get a "Battery Too Hot, Power Will Shut Down" error message and then the camera powers down. This battery is from 2005 and works fine in the PD-150. The newer generic battery, from 2008, seems to work fine in the FS 100. I will buy more of the generic batteries, but I think it "Buyer beware" is definitely in order.

Rick Burnett
06-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, bought mine off of Amazon as well, but I charged over night. Not sure, as everything looked legit in the packaging and the documentation. Haven't used it yet but we'll see. The 770 handled my whole shoot today and still has 58% battery :)

cheezweezl
06-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Hmmm, bought mine off of Amazon as well, but I charged over night. Not sure, as everything looked legit in the packaging and the documentation. Haven't used it yet but we'll see. The 770 handled my whole shoot today and still has 58% battery :)
Yo Rick,

If your battery is missing the little recycle logo or has sides that flex a bit when squeezed, it's a fake.

Rick Burnett
06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
I'll check it tonight.

Rick Burnett
06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I am thinking mine must be fake as well as there is no recycle logo on the back, and some pack-man type logo on the front. I have to say, the packaging was impressive. Unfortunately, I had thrown out all the packaging already so I guess I'll just live with it. The sides don't flex on mine, and I've still not tried it on the camera. Not to self, do not buy batteries through Amazon anymore unless I *know* the company. We probably ordered from the same company.

speedracerlo
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
damn I just ordered another NP-F970 from amazon too a few days ago for a great price of $87 which seemed a bit too good to be true
it said, "fullfilled by Amazon.com" so I trusted it
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be fake... Argghh

cheezweezl
06-14-2011, 04:31 PM
damn I just ordered another NP-F970 from amazon too a few days ago for a great price of $87 which seemed a bit too good to be true
it said, "fullfilled by Amazon.com" so I trusted it
I'm pretty sure it's gonna be fake... Argghh

yup, fake. amazon is clueless. but this thing looks totally legit so i can't really blame them. mine don't have the pacman logo but they are fake none the less.

easy way to verify. go on the b&h website. they have front and back pics of the 970 in the package. compare the graphics on the battery as well as the barcode on the packaging. mine were fulfilled by amazon as well but the seller had placed a sticker over the barcode. inside you will find a set of poorly printed instructions rather than the warranty info that should be there.

i'm surprised these even work with the camera. i have heard that lenmar batteries don't work and they are kind of an industry standard sony replacement. i'd keep them if not for the crazy long charge times and inaccurate charge level readout on the cam.

EDIT: just purchased two real ones from bandpro. actually cheaper than i paid for the fake ones on amazon.... go figure..

speedracerlo
06-14-2011, 06:02 PM
do you remember what the name of your merchant was?
it wasn't Peridigm by any chance was it

Rick Burnett
06-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Mine was from Peridigm and does not look like the ones on BH.

cheezweezl
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Mine were from two different sellers, both fulfilled by amazon. One was "oak hill trading" and the other was "bydeals"

Amazon is refunding me and paying return shipping.

LowDown
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
yup, fake. amazon is clueless. but this thing looks totally legit so i can't really blame them. mine don't have the pacman logo but they are fake none the less.

easy way to verify. go on the b&h website. they have front and back pics of the 970 in the package. compare the graphics on the battery as well as the barcode on the packaging. mine were fulfilled by amazon as well but the seller had placed a sticker over the barcode. inside you will find a set of poorly printed instructions rather than the warranty info that should be there.

i'm surprised these even work with the camera. i have heard that lenmar batteries don't work and they are kind of an industry standard sony replacement. i'd keep them if not for the crazy long charge times and inaccurate charge level readout on the cam.

EDIT: just purchased two real ones from bandpro. actually cheaper than i paid for the fake ones on amazon.... go figure..

I can confirm that Lenmar don't work. Don't even fit.

speedracerlo
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Just got my fake from Peridigm and I've filed a report with Amazon
I wonder if the battery from the Amazon.com main store is legit

adolgin
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
We carry Lenmars (http://dolgin.net/zen_dolgin/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9) for a few years, they communicate with the cameras OK, and carry 2 years warranty.

Rick Burnett
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Just got my fake from Peridigm and I've filed a report with Amazon
I wonder if the battery from the Amazon.com main store is legit

Unfortunately, I had thrown out the plastic crappy packaging by accident. I doubt I can send it back now.

speedracerlo
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, I had thrown out the plastic crappy packaging by accident. I doubt I can send it back now.

you should still try to file for a refund because you didn't know it was fake until after you had already discarded the packaging.
if you use the Amazon.com chat service, it's quite simple and doesn't take much time

Rick Burnett
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Where do I find the chat service?

speedracerlo
06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/browse-form-dispatch/dispatch.html/ref=hp_ss_comp_cu?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510

fill the contact form and use chat service

Rick Burnett
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Wow, great customer support. Sending the battery back tomorrow.

cheezweezl
06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
I threw my packaging away too. No matter. I use the callback service. You put in your number and click "call me now" 1 second later, your phone rings.

Picked up my new batteries from bandpro this morning. They are real.

Rick Burnett
06-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Whoever I chatted with was awesome. I told them a lot of other people are getting fake batteries from this seller as well and they said they will be addressing this as they do not like their customers to ever have to deal with something like this. +1 for Amazon.

Postmaster
06-16-2011, 03:24 AM
I got a 6800 mAh noname battery from Ebay - 23 Euros.
Works like a charme, lasts about for ever (got me trough an average day of shooting and still 10% left) , charges in about 6 hrs, recognized by the camera (see screen shot).

Frank > happy camper http://www.ask1.org/modules/Forums/images/smiles/wiesn.gif

http://cgi.ebay.de/Akku-Sony-NP-F950-NP-F960-NP-F970-NP-F770-NP-F930-/290488748431?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Akkus&hash=item43a27a898f

Noname high capacy battery and original battery that came with the camera for comparison.

morgan_moore
06-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Forget those onboard batts run the camera off your Vlocks..

from hawkwoods..

------------

Hi Sam

Thank you for your enquiry

We already make a dummy battery for Sony camera’s
Part Number: LR-05 - Ģ76.00 plus shipping and VAT

Available ex-stock

Postmaster
06-16-2011, 03:42 AM
I would love to power everything from one v-mount battery but they come with 14V.
So even if you have a v.mount plate with a regulated step down, all you get is 12V
But you would need 7.8 for the camera, 12V for the monitor and light, maybe 5,6 or 8 for transmitter and recorder.

Unless someone (Iīm looking into that at the moment) doesn't make a converter box with different outlets, that doesn't work.

Frank

morgan_moore
06-16-2011, 03:55 AM
my understanding (TBC) is that the dummy battery contains a 'step down converter' (probably not the technically correct term) so would take the regular DTap output

ie the dummy takes 14.4 in and outputs the correct 7.2 to the camera

in terms of other accs I deciede just not to buy anything that doesnt run on te 'standard' 14.4-11 range

S

FelixGER
06-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Thanks A LOT Frank, for the ebay link!

@ morgan_moore: To change voltage you need AC-Power. Thatīs not possible with DC.

Postmaster
06-16-2011, 04:57 AM
T To change voltage you need AC-Power. Thatīs not possible with DC.

Of course itīs possible, what do you think - for example - all those voltage selectable car cigarette lighter adapters do.

I gonna build myself a little box with a couple of this: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250823464468&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

frank

FelixGER
06-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Ups, youīre right of course....Thatīs what I learned in physics years ago...

morgan_moore
06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
@ morgan_moore: To change voltage you need AC-Power. Thatīs not possible with DC.

Hawkwoods have been making the 5d dummy batt for ages, and probably this product from the Z1 days here is what they say..

"This is designed to run from V-Lok 14v system regulated down to 7.2v, so should be ideal for your application."

If I get this camera Ill get the adapter and use my Vlock break out box to run my sound recorder, monitor and remote FF exactly as I do on my 7d5d rigs, with a $100 cost to reurpose the whole lot to the new camera and a good 20hours of run time off my three Vlocks, awesome !

Not only do I not want to buy a load of new batteries I dont want to think about another system, carry more chargers, leads, and tanglement

Also I love Vlock that you can check the charge while they are not on the camera..

S

Postmaster
06-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Sounds good, one step down module less to bolt into that box.

Frank

Rick Burnett
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Ups, youīre right of course....Thatīs what I learned in physics years ago...

Haha, well if you see your physics professor ever, time to give them the smack down! :) You can use something as simple as a voltage regulator with DC voltage. They make them at many voltage points, like 5v, 9v, 12v, etc. I'm an electrical engineer so I've worked with them before.

Postmaster
06-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm an electrical engineer so I've worked with them before.

Does that mean, that you are volunteering for building my box Rick? http://www.ask1.org/modules/Forums/images/smiles/jubel.gif

Rick Burnett
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Haha, if I only had time! Like always I have too many projects going on and performing a balancing act of working on them all!

Postmaster
06-17-2011, 01:53 AM
After my succsess with the first no-name battery for 23 bucks, I felt lucky and ordered an other one from a different brand.

I wanted this one, cause it has a sort of d-tap/powertap build in.

Works like a charm for 24 Euros - including battery status read out by the camera.

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!Brb-OtgCGk~$(KGrHqUH-CkEvEs)9l,BBLzrWTWZ4g~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150607205529&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Frank

nyvz
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
We carry Lenmars (http://dolgin.net/zen_dolgin/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=9) for a few years, they communicate with the cameras OK, and carry 2 years warranty.

Oh? I just received my lenmar lis790p from amazon today and it wont mount on the camera, wtf? What a pain... any way to make it work?

Edit: I just noticed the lenmar battery fits in the sony charger but the camera has a little notch on the mount that hits one of the bumps on the bottom of the battery if i try to slide it into place, I wonder if i just remove the part of the battery thats hitting if it will work? Might try it unless someone has some reason it wouldnt work... It's just a 1mm piece of plastic I could remove in 20 seconds with my dremel.

Edit 2: Just dremelled the 1-2mm notch in the battery and it seems to work fine in the camera now! Anyone know if this might be a bad idea? The voltage should work and the camera has a battery level reading... It's a $55 battery that will run the camera for 10hrs!

DM_rider
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Stay away from Estore direct batteries off Amazon. They're fake, even though they picture genuine sony batteries. I tried calling and getting an RMA, but quickly found out it's a Brooklyn hole in the wall sketch store, I filed a complaint with Amazon.

adolgin
06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Glad it worked, as long as you did not expose any internal guts you should be OK. Is it LIS970 (not 790)? I am not sure about 10 hours as run time depends on how much power your camera uses to run; historically Lenmars delivered exactly what was claimed on the label (capacity in mah). Can not say that about Ebay batteries as a while back I tested a bunch of them from the same vendor, they differed big time one from another, some of them were about 1/2 of their claimed rating.

nyvz
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah it is LIS970P, which is 7.2v 7800mah or 56wh which should run the FS100 for ~10hrs given power consumption around 5W. Used it a bit today, so far so good, but I didnt use it for very long.

mico
06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
In case anyone is interested. I have been using the Swit S-8972 batteries with DC output and after charging it I have been using it on and off for 3 hours and it still reads 100%. It has indicator lights with button on the back to see charge status. The fs-100 recognizes it. The sony charger works with it. It has a DC output tap on the side that can power peripherals. The dc output clears the body of the camera for access. The dc output 7.2v can power nanoflash and maybe the ninja if you want to lower weight. Does anyone know what the back of the ninja looks like without the battery plate. Is there a cable that can connect to the dc out of the battery? 47.5 Wh and cost was $99.00

Postmaster
07-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Okay, this here is one of the coolest things I ever saw.
It instantly solves all my battery needs.

A V-mount plate with build in step down converters:
2 x 12V outlet, 7,2 volt outlet, 5V outlet,
build in HDMI splitter, 5Volt USB, 4 spiral wires, and a build in charger.

Comes with 4 spiral cables.

Everything on a 15mm railmount, for- lo and behold: 163 Euros (about $230)

I made an extra thread for it.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254723-Insane!-Power-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-from-one-v-mount.&p=2379961#post2379961

Frank

alarch
07-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Hi!,
Just for info,, I've been shooting a lot for all day documentary (3 hours of film per day) and I got the NP-F990 and the original NP-F970 and its largelly enaugh for nearly 2 days of shooting. Not having much burget if I new I would only have baught on extra NP-F970 to be safe and not the NP-F990 which also makes the camera heavier .
This camera doesn't use much energy.

nyvz
07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I just used my FS100 on a run and gun exterior shoot today. I started at 9am with a fully charged LIS970P (with small notch taken out to work with FS100, see earlier post) which I got for $55 on amazon, and left the camera on almost continuously until we wrapped at 3pm and the battery was still reading around 50%. Pretty amazing that this camera makes battery changes something you just dont have to worry about anymore. No issues with the battery so far.

Searcher
08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Hi!,
Just for info,, I've been shooting a lot for all day documentary (3 hours of film per day) and I got the NP-F990 and the original NP-F970 and its largelly enaugh for nearly 2 days of shooting. Not having much burget if I new I would only have baught on extra NP-F970 to be safe and not the NP-F990 which also makes the camera heavier .
This camera doesn't use much energy.

I think you mean NP-F970 and NP-F770.

legrevedotcom
08-27-2011, 03:25 AM
I bought a couple from some local online shops. The thing to be aware of is that they aren't always consistent in their durability. One could run for hours, another would eat away in almost half the time.
In my case I was kinda "lucky". I had bought a Steadicam Pilot, and the previous owner had it modded to run off Sony batteries, so I suddenly had heaps of batteries ( still no-name though ).

Rick Burnett
08-27-2011, 05:07 AM
I bought a couple from some local online shops. The thing to be aware of is that they aren't always consistent in their durability. One could run for hours, another would eat away in almost half the time.
In my case I was kinda "lucky". I had bought a Steadicam Pilot, and the previous owner had it modded to run off Sony batteries, so I suddenly had heaps of batteries ( still no-name though ).

Are you sure the inconsistent ones weren't just knock-offs that looked like real Sony batteries? All the real Sony ones I purchased worked amazing. I too bought more 770s because the weight. 2 of them last me a whole weekend of shooting, it's really amazing! I also bought the dual charger from Sony and it's awesome.

JardaBar
08-30-2011, 01:35 AM
I use these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/200632442669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Cheap and works well. May be original, may be not, who knowns.

finaleditor
09-02-2011, 07:16 PM
V-mount batteries with chinese made v-mount adapter.
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5222/dsc01505oc.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/dsc01505oc.jpg/)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4428/dsc01502kt.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/dsc01502kt.jpg/)

It powers camcorder, lcd monitor and nanoflash (it didn't power led light).

Postmaster
09-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Interesting rig - quite a power tower in the back.

HiDefSouth
12-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Final Editor,
Great looking shoulder rig. I've invested in Zacuto for other cams and want to apply to the FS 100. I have the long handles that drop down from the 15mm rods and was wondering if the short handle that you have rigged makes the ergonomics a lot better? How did you rig the short handle off the top mounting plate?

moldcad
12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Back to the "batteries" topic:

Some of you might remember my post about a replacement NPF970 L battery (6700 mAH). It first seemed faulty to me, as - used for the first time after I received - it went from 100 to 0% in no time at all. Then, I tried to charge it - and for the yellow LED to go away - it took me OVER 24 HOURS !!!

Of course, this made me even more worried it's faulty... But then I started using it (with the FS100 showing 100%), and - believe me or not - I have been using it for 4 (FOUR) weeks ! Of course, it wasn't a continuous usage - just a couple of hours every day... But my FS100 still kept showing 100%, so I really felt like dealing with a perpetum mobile or someting :)

Until - after 4 weeks of such usage - my FS100 displayed 90%... Then just 60% within some 20 minutes or so... And finally, the camera switched off within an hour since it ever informed me the battery was less than 100% full.

So, the morale is:

- the remaining capacity read-out is probably biased heavily with those replacement Sony batteries
- nevertheless, they can serve you for an incredibly long time, after having been charged for an incredibly long time :)

Just be aware that when they start to die on you, the die very quickly...