PDA

View Full Version : Is Andromeda Still Around?

Seamus McFlannel
05-21-2011, 07:42 PM
I was just thinking about some of the Andromedized DVX100 footage I saw about five years ago, and I was wondering if Andromeda was still around. It seems to me the AF100 would be really quite spectacular if it could be converted by that company/

NoahK
05-21-2011, 08:18 PM
But why- with HD-SDI out already there's not much for an Andromeda like solution to really improve upon.

Noah

Gabrobot
05-21-2011, 09:36 PM
But why- with HD-SDI out already there's not much for an Andromeda like solution to really improve upon.

Noah

Well, Andromeda was providing a raw output taken before any processing was done on it, so improvements to the AF100 could be native sensor resolution (so higher than 1080), 10+ bit color, maybe even less noise?

mcgeedigital
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM
The developer Juan was hired as an engineer by Cinetal.

NoahK
05-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I was under the impression the HD-SDI out is about as close to that goal as possible. And built in and not violating your warranty. I think we're kinda there already with the stock camera.

Noah

Oliver Rush
05-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Noah

HD-SDI is only 422.... A DVX Andromeda was 4444 RAW off the sensor and was almost HD is resolution. It was really an amazing little innovation in its time, minus the drawback of killing your warranty and having to be tethered to a laptop when using the Andromeda system. I know a DP who owned one with a Brevis 35mm adapter (part of how I ended up with my brevis actually....) which he used until he got his RED #370 (he always talks about going straight from a DVX to RED...). I have been trying to get him to pull it out so I can play with it, but he lost the software (anyone know where I can get it?)... but the images I saw that he shot with it were amazing... It did need a lot of light though.

Anyway, the guy behind it was hired by another company and the technology was bought out and buried... I am sure the reason why was being able to make a $4K camera outperform most thing on the market 20x the price... scary stuff if you are a camera maker.