PDA

View Full Version : making shower steam

Soldier
05-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas for making steam for a shower. The catch is that there is no running water in this particular location. I have a shot of a long hallway. At the end of the hallway is the bathroom. The door is ajar. Steam is coming from the room. Then I cut to an MCU of someone in the shower (different location).

Thanks.

natums
05-20-2011, 08:04 PM
smoke motion behind the door with it closed then open it just before the shot so it slowly trails out, otherwise your hallway will be all foggy. Also, make sure the location's fire alarms aren't the type that react to smoke, otherwise the fog will set it off (I know from experience, lol).

Also, have fans and a window you can open to clear the air if it gets to foggy.

Soldier
05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
smoke motion behind the door

Thanks for that. What do you mean by smoke motion? Also won't the smoke be thicker and a darker colour than steam?

clang
05-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Some smoke generators can produce a very white smoke.

How about a 'fog' machine? Electronic novelty shops sell cheap nasty ones, or you could hire a proper one from a party hire place - i think a quick puff of fog (after fogging up the room inside) would simulate steam escaping through a doorway nicely.

natums
05-21-2011, 12:31 AM
lol. I'm dumb, smoke machine, dyslexia much. fog machine, smoke machine, etc.

Cheap ones work well if you just learn what it's tendencies are. I think that you can also by different 'fogs' that will act slightly differently.

It may be darker then steam so you need to control the amount you have and use lighting to control the image to make it appears softer like fog.

In my experience, softer light will make it look more like fog or steam, and hard light is more smoky. Also the motion of the fog makes the difference. Have someone behind the door blowing the fog upwards, so it looks like steam rising.

Tim Joy
05-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Go to filmtools.com and search for Haze in a Can. The easiest and cheapest solution.

James Thayer
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Add the steam in post.