PDA

View Full Version : Which adapter is best for Nikon F mount lenses?

speedracerlo
05-15-2011, 02:30 AM
I just made the pre-order on B&H, but they didn't offer any kind of adapter for Nikon F to Sony E mount.
I looked around and saw the voigtlander and novoflex which seem to be the best in terms of adapters.
Would the voigtlander be just as good or is the novoflex worth the extra money?

brunerww
05-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Speed,

I recommend this $25 Rainbow Imaging adapter from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X1FSCS?tag=battleforthew-20) (to save an extra $2, select the Rainbow Imaging adapter in "more buying choices" on the right side of the page - I couldn't figure out how to link to it directly).

Inexpensive adapters from Amazon have worked just fine for me, and they have a great no-hassle return policy.

I just don't see any reason to spend $219 for a Voigtlander (http://www.adorama.com/VTNKSCTSOE.html?kbid=66297) or $293 for a Novoflex (http://www.adorama.com/NVNEXNIK.html?kbid=66297).

But if you absolutely have to have to most expensive Nikon to E-mount adapter on the market you could always get the $380 MTF (http://www.zgc.com/webstore.nsf/productsseo/mtf-mtnikge.html) ;-)

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

mico
05-15-2011, 10:05 AM
There is word if you read other forums that the cheap adapters do not have a matte like feature incorporated into the adapter that cuts extraneous light from hitting the chip like the MTF adapters do.. I would get an adapter made by a company that actually knows what they're doing instead of some Chinese knockoff for $20.

brunerww
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
There is word if you read other forums that the cheap adapters do not have a matte like feature incorporated into the adapter that cuts extraneous light from hitting the chip like the MTF adapters do.. I would get an adapter made by a company that actually knows what they're doing instead of some Chinese knockoff for $20.

Here's a guy shooting with an MTF adapter on the F3 (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-f3-cinealta/492027-video-first-shoot-mtf-adaptor-cheap-lenses.html#post1620840). He says:

when it comes to the MTF-adapter I am very happy with the build quality and what it does. However I find it really hard to adjust the aperture. It is hard to reach the adaptor ring because of the width of the F3 and if you don't find the small stud on the adaptor by chance the adaptor ring is too slippery to get a good grip on. I'd like the ring to have a pattern to make it easier to grip and the stud to be much longer so it can be reached with a finger without having to reach around the front of the camera.

I don't have any problems adjusting lens aperture with my ~$30 asian Nikon to Micro 4/3 adapter. And if I did, I'd be a whole lot more frustrated if I'd spent $300 plus on it :smile:

Don't want to start a flame war, but these non-electronic, non-optical adapters are just well-machined metal tubes. Voigtlander, Novoflex (and MTF) should be ashamed of themselves.

Bill

Jason Allen
05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I used the Rainbow Imaging adapter for a while on my NEX-3, and it both got stuck to the back of my 85/1.4 ZF, and then fell apart when I managed to safely remove the lens from its dastardly clutches!

I use this Fotodiox adapter currently on my NEX-VG10 and NEX-3. I plan to use it on the FS100 when I get one later this summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Nikkor-Including-NEX-VG10/dp/B003Y2YE3A

It's built solid, the aperture adjustment for "G" lenses is damped enough that it stays put when stopping down, and it stays put when you just want the aperture wide open. I've really "put it through the paces" on two short films so far, and a bunch of freelance work. Not bad for $50!

mico
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
From Alister Chapman who knows a thing or two about cameras:

"One thing we discovered, not mentioned in the video is that when you use a full frame lens, like the Nikon 50mm. You must ensure that the E-Mount adapter you use has an internal baffle or choke. If it doesn’t you will suffer from excessive flare. The adapter I had did not have a baffle and some shots (not used) were spoilt by flare. The adapter I have from MTF for the F3 has a baffle as do MTF’s E-Mount adapters, so these should not suffer from this issue."

If you search you can find the video he did testing these cameras.

mico
05-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Here's a guy shooting with an MTF adapter on the F3 (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-f3-cinealta/492027-video-first-shoot-mtf-adaptor-cheap-lenses.html#post1620840). He says:

I don't have any problems adjusting lens aperture with my ~$30 asian Nikon to Micro 4/3 adapter. And if I did, I'd be a whole lot more frustrated if I'd spent $300 plus on it :smile:

Don't want to start a flame war, but these non-electronic, non-optical adapters are just well-machined metal tubes. Voigtlander, Novoflex (and MTF) should be ashamed of themselves.

Bill

No war just trying to get the facts thats all. Your link is about someone using a Nikon adapter with an F3. Not all MTF adapters are the same and not everyone will be using a Nikon adapter . Fs100 adapters might be different and that poster also goes on to imply that he still is supporting Mike Tapa at MTF.

Lee Saxon
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Voigtlander, Novoflex (and MTF) should be ashamed of themselves.

They should be ashamed of themselves for what they charge.

The cheapo brands like Fotodiox should be ashamed of themselves for producing worthless garbage.

I find the former to be the lesser evil.

if any tesing was done besides it just fitting properly, that is a crucial component to the system seems foolish.

Fotodiox doesn't do that much.

mico
05-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Regarding cost it seems like MTF did some actual testing with lenses and cameras to have added this baffle or choke. So it doesn't seem like they just machined a metal tube. Thats time and money in R+D as well as the machining. They seem to be machined to strict tolerances from actual testing and that is worth a lot to me when you're depending on it to get a good image without any surprises. Spending thousands of dollars on a camera and lenses only to use a $20 adapter ,from who knows where or if any tesing was done besides it just fitting properly, that is a crucial component to the system seems foolish.

David G. Smith
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I have a set of Nikkor manual prime lenses I plan on using on the FS100 I have my pre-order in for. Less expensive Asian manufactured Nikon F to Canon EOS adaptors have worked fine for me with these lenses on my Canon HD-DSLR. I am going to pick up a couple of the less expensive Asian manufactured Nikon F to Sony E mount adaptors first and see how they work for myself. It just makes sense to me to do this before slapping down the money for the more expensive adaptors first. While the manufactures of the more expensive adaptors may be spending more on R&D, they sure as heck are spending more on marketing.

mico
05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
While the manufactures of the more expensive adaptors may be spending more on R&D, they sure as heck are spending more on marketing.

What does that mean? I haven't seen one MTF ad. I found out about MTF talking to pro rental/ sales houses and working cameramen. Researching adapters online reading forum posts I know why. Good shooting.

speedracerlo
05-15-2011, 04:49 PM
the matte is an important factor, but
The main concern for any adapter to me is the amount of play it has.
I'll gladly pay a premium for the adapter that has the least play.
I'm curious whether the MTF has less play than the novoflex or voigtlander. Does anyone have experience with these adapters?
perhaps I should ask on the F3 forum

daihard
05-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I took my cheap adaptor and lightly sanded the inside to a mat finish. Seems to help a bit (for the expensive baffle/choke substitue), and cost me about 10cents.
Someone had mentioned this a while back, talking about light spill between the lens, adaptor, and finally sensor.
GH2 and a 50mm f1.4 and 85 f1.4.

brunerww
05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I am going to pick up a couple of the less expensive Asian manufactured Nikon F to Sony E mount adaptors first and see how they work for myself. It just makes sense to me to do this before slapping down the money for the more expensive adaptors first.

I agree with David here. Personally, I will try the inexpensive adapters first and check for fit and flares for myself. If they work, I've saved myself a few hundred bucks.

But whatever folks need and can afford, they should buy. I simply want people know that the less expensive options exist. Information in the hands of the consumer makes for an informed marketplace, which benefits everyone.

Cheers,

Bill

David G. Smith
05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
What does that mean? I haven't seen one MTF ad. I found out about MTF talking to pro rental/ sales houses and working cameramen. Researching adapters online reading forum posts I know why. Good shooting.

So, all I have to do is make a product and then everybody will be talking about, and it will be all over the internet without me spending a dime on marketing? Wow, that's how it works huh? I stand corrected.

mico
05-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Good shooting pal you'll need it.

dsleep
05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
I agree with David here. Personally, I will try the inexpensive adapters first and check for fit and flares for myself. If they work, I've saved myself a few hundred bucks.

But whatever folks need and can afford, they should buy. I simply want people know that the less expensive options exist. Information in the hands of the consumer makes for an informed marketplace, which benefits everyone.

Cheers,

Bill

i agree that information in the hands of the consumer is a good thing but saying things like "Voigtlander, Novoflex (and MTF) should be ashamed of themselves." is stupid and inflammatory and adds nothing to the conversation.

speedracerlo
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
does anyone care about the amount of play that an adatper has?
i can't find any info on which adapters have the best fitting

I found a voigtlander adapter on ebay for 179+8 which is a price I am comfortable with as long as the quality would be up to standard.
I really don't know about the $20 adapters, but there seems to be a few different designs.

I also found out that the Voigtlander Nikon F to M4/3 adapter is actually better than the Novoflex in terms of fit and play.
I'll probably just go with the Voigtlander to be safe.

I've learned throughout the past few years of buying filmming equipment that you get what you pay for.
the cheap ones, I don't recommend at all, unless you just can't afford the proper ones.

Postmaster
05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
I´m happy with this one

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!lgE1F4lVTZcBNdJp(j!Fg~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.de/NIKON-AF-G-lens-Adapter-SONY-E-Mount-NEX-5-NEX-3-/330553238071?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Filteradapter&hash=item4cf6822237

David G. Smith
05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
does anyone care about the amount of play that an adatper has?
i can't find any info on which adapters have the best fitting

I found a voigtlander adapter on ebay for 179+8 which is a price I am comfortable with as long as the quality would be up to standard.
I really don't know about the $20 adapters, but there seems to be a few different designs.

I also found out that the Voigtlander Nikon F to M4/3 adapter is actually better than the Novoflex in terms of fit and play.
I'll probably just go with the Voigtlander to be safe.

I've learned throughout the past few years of buying filmming equipment that you get what you pay for.
the cheap ones, I don't recommend at all, unless you just can't afford the proper ones.

That is why I have put together a set of manual Nikon lenses. The Nikon F-mount is the most popular lens mount in history. Any camera designer who is making a new interchangeable camera design, and lens mount, that is not easily adaptable to the Nikon F-mount is crazy. Adapting a Nikon F-mount to a new lens mount configuration, especially one with the short flange to focal distance as the Sony E-mount, ain't rocket science, it is well established mechanical engineering. Sure, you get what you paid for, but sometimes you end up paying for more than you need. I would be willing to bet that the MTF adaptors are outstanding pieces of gear, and will last a life time, but I am just not going to dish out the cash for the top end adaptors until I have tried the lower cost versions first. Especially for a camera system that I know I will be upgrading out of in probably 3 years. I am very, very excited about the FS-100 and can not wait to get my hands on it. However, I know that this is not going to be my last camera, and the less I can spend for camera specific gear, the better off I will be. I will continue to buy manual Nikon F-mount lenses, and, hopefully, start to move up to PL mount glass, all of which will be usable on the FS-100 and dang near any other camera that comes down the pike. If the lower costs F-mount to Sony E mount adaptors work for me, then I am way ahead. If they don't, then I am not out that much and will look for others.

Is that really so hard to understand?

avro
05-24-2011, 02:02 AM
http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&category_id=2&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=101

speedracerlo
05-24-2011, 02:22 PM
That is why I have put together a set of manual Nikon lenses. The Nikon F-mount is the most popular lens mount in history. Any camera designer who is making a new interchangeable camera design, and lens mount, that is not easily adaptable to the Nikon F-mount is crazy. Adapting a Nikon F-mount to a new lens mount configuration, especially one with the short flange to focal distance as the Sony E-mount, ain't rocket science, it is well established mechanical engineering. Sure, you get what you paid for, but sometimes you end up paying for more than you need. I would be willing to bet that the MTF adaptors are outstanding pieces of gear, and will last a life time, but I am just not going to dish out the cash for the top end adaptors until I have tried the lower cost versions first. Especially for a camera system that I know I will be upgrading out of in probably 3 years. I am very, very excited about the FS-100 and can not wait to get my hands on it. However, I know that this is not going to be my last camera, and the less I can spend for camera specific gear, the better off I will be. I will continue to buy manual Nikon F-mount lenses, and, hopefully, start to move up to PL mount glass, all of which will be usable on the FS-100 and dang near any other camera that comes down the pike. If the lower costs F-mount to Sony E mount adaptors work for me, then I am way ahead. If they don't, then I am not out that much and will look for others.

Is that really so hard to understand?

I'm not fond of wasting money on products that aren't worth it, but sometimes as simple as it might be to design an adapter for a Nikon F mount lens, there are definite differences in quality and although I can't speak for the quality of the cheaper adapters out there, I have read some bad stories already about light leaks, play, etc. I'm not happy about spending hundres on an adapter, but I've also had experience with cheaper adapters for my Canon DSLRs and they have proved to me that cheaper ones are just not worth it and the expensive ones do last longer and serve better

I ordered the Voigtlander from Ebay for just over $200 with tax which was the cheapest I can find anywhere
I'm sure if I ended up needing to sell this adapter, I can fetch at least $150 for it
Can I sell a cheap adapter when I'm done with it? Probably not

Postmaster
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I think it´s a question of sheer luck.

I got 4 adapters - all cheap $25ish China stuff.

2 are snug and tight, a perfect fit.
1 is a bit loose and number 4 comes of when you focus too fast.

I tried a Voigtländer and it is not any better then my two tight cheap China adapters.

So you ether shell out a lot of money for a simple device or you feel lucky and try 2 or 3 cheap ones.
Chances are, that you are saving a lot of money with the cheap adapters in the end - even when you gonna use the bad ones as door stoppers.

my ct2 - Frank

sean90291
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Adaptimax is making an FS100 mount with a baffle/choke. They're a great choice if you don't wanna gamble on getting a cheapo mount from ebay. The build quality is top notch, and they offer a guarantee.

speedracerlo
05-24-2011, 04:34 PM
just received my Voigtlander
the fit and finish is great and the adapter looks like it's part of the Zeiss lens body, it's almost indistinguishable from each other
There is absolutely no play between the lens and adapter.
I'll have to see how it fits on the FS100 body though. I'm sure there will be no fitment issues there.
I also looked through the adapter and there is no light leak at all.
I'm just waiting for the camera to arrive now..

Amos Kim
06-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Can anyone list which nikonF-NEX adapters have that internal baffle/choke that Alister Chapman talks about? Is it just MTF?

LowDown
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I bought 2 adapters from ciecio7 on eBay. A pl to e-mount and a nikon to e-mount. Both are extremely well made and work really well. Shipped fast and good communication. Highly recommended.

BTW what the hell is a "baffle"?

Duke M.
06-10-2011, 06:08 AM
BTW what the hell is a "baffle"?

In this case a bump/ring on the inside to cut down on internally reflected light.

speedracerlo
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
baffle is something that stops or slows down whatever is coming through it

daihard
06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
its more like a light restrictor, It dosent block the direct light to the sensor.
But usually with lenses made for larger sensors cameras, you get a bit more light spill between the adaptor. The cheaper adaptors are usually just painted black.. and the light can still bounce around a bit. This makes for blurry and soft looking images under bright lights.
The Baffle absorbs the extra light spill...
I've made a "DIY" version with my cheap adaptor, but the high ends ones as well. Shouldn't reduce the light reaching the sensor, so your still maintaing the len's speed.

BTW, the light sanding worked a little. However, I saw some other examples online of what a real "expensive" baffle looks like. So I took some black paper and a circle cutter... "gotter done" for pennies.

LowDown
06-10-2011, 05:58 PM
baffle is something that stops or slows down whatever is coming through it
Yes, I was kidding.
I've used nikons on my red for years and never had a problem with internal reflections. The sensor size is similar and the distance to the sensor is the same. Why is this a problem now?

NeedCreative
06-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Just wanted you all to know that the Rainbow Imaging Nikon G to NEX adapter sold on Amazon.com does not work. It doesn't even fit the NEX-FS100 where all other adapters I have tried so far (Nipon, Bower) do fit.

It felt like I nearly destroyed the lens mount and definitely left a scratch on the fairing directly above the sensor. Be warned!

LowDown
06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Ok I stand corrected on the baffle issue. I was using my camera today with the ciecio7 adapter and was getting a stripe down the right side of the frame. It took a while to figure it out but basically it was a light leak coming from the left of camera through the nikon lock lever. It's not immediately apparent as a light leak as it is so uniform. It looks like a lighter colored bar on the right side of frame covering about 10 percent of the frame, not like a flare at all. I would assume that it's some kind of reflection off the sensor. A piece of tape over the lever fixed it but it's something to watch out for. The ciecio7 adapter is still very well made and I'll get in touch with him to tell him about this issue.

NeedCreative
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I saw that on someone else's video (though not the adapters I have gotten to work... yet). That's good to know what caused it - I would have had no idea until I fretted over it for a while and eventually figured it out. I haven't seen it yet.

sinapps
06-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Anyone try the Rayqual adapter? http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_adpt_sonye.htm

mandrean
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
It's not rocket science to make a metal tube. No electronics or optics are involved. And the flange distances etc. for all mounts are publicly available. Anyone with a CNC and an engineer can machine adaptors with tolerances within the back-focus tolerances of vintage SLR lenses.

My intuition tells me that super-expensive cinema gear have tighter tolerances, so with high-end PL lenses one would probably wanna go with a high-end PL adaptor. But with old SLR lenses?... I sure wont get an adaptor more expensive than a lens, or even half the price of it.

Amos Kim
06-22-2011, 10:20 PM
To LowDown and everybody else, is a baffle necessary for nikon lenses onto sony sensor?

LowDown
06-22-2011, 10:35 PM
To LowDown and everybody else, is a baffle necessary for nikon lenses onto sony sensor?

No, I think that what is necessary is to be sure that there's no light leaking into the adapter from the lock button or elsewhere.

speedracerlo
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I would suggest an adapter that has a simple round push button for unlocking the lens
The adapters with the lever type mechanisms seem to have the light leak issues because there is a tiny space for the lever to move

allantab
06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey NeedCreative, do you have a link to the particular Nikon to NEx adapter that Rainbow Imaging sells that does not work? They have at least three models, one in the low $20s, late $20s-$30s, and one in the $50 range. The last two models apparently included aperture control

NeedCreative
06-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Hey NeedCreative, do you have a link to the particular Nikon to NEx adapter that Rainbow Imaging sells that does not work? They have at least three models, one in the low $20s, late $20s-$30s, and one in the $50 range. The last two models apparently included aperture control

It is the Rainbow Imaging Nikon G AFS to Sony E Mount adapter for $32.99 with aperture control for G lenses. But it didn't fit the Sony. fotodiox Nikon G to NEX works fine.

allantab
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
It is the Rainbow Imaging Nikon G AFS to Sony E Mount adapter for $32.99 with aperture control for G lenses. But it didn't fit the Sony. fotodiox Nikon G to NEX works fine.

Thanks again NeedCreative. I'm looking at the Fotodiox adapter now

bkmvincent
06-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks again NeedCreative. I'm looking at the Fotodiox adapter now

I second the Fotodiox adapter. It's a good fit with no play at all. It's actually much tighter than I'm used to.

Paul Hudson
06-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Fotodiox +1

DM_rider
06-28-2011, 08:56 PM
I have 2 fotodiox nikon to emount and there is play. But, I took a little strip of gaff tap and that solved the problem. Very snug and solid fit now.

Postmaster
06-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Effects of a cheap lens adapter on the Fs100

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254259-Effects-of-a-cheap-lens-adapter-on-the-Fs100

..just saying.

LoganMackay
06-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Effects of a cheap lens adapter on the Fs100

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?254259-Effects-of-a-cheap-lens-adapter-on-the-Fs100

..just saying.

Yes... I don't understand it. Someone buys a 5k camera and $250 - $1500 lens and cheaps out on the link between the two.

Postmaster
06-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Turns out not to be a "cheap China junk" thing - the expensive and much lauded Novoflex features the same behavior.

The remedy is the same as on the cheap $32 adapter (and almost always on a film set) = black gaff tape.

Frank

sinapps
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Just got the Rayqual in the mail. It has internal baffles and clickable aperture stops. Too late to shoot today, but will get it out in the sun tomorrow to see if anything leaks. $249 from Cameraquest: http://cameraquest.com/voigt_adpt_sonye.htm

mico
06-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes... I don't understand it. Someone buys a 5k camera and $250 - $1500 lens and cheaps out on the link between the two.

So feel the same way, but be careful some might accuse you of buying into marketing hype regarding those expensive metal tubes made by MTF and cameraquest.

sinapps
06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Careful some might accuse you buying into marketing hype regarding those expensive metal tubes made by MTF and cameraquest.
$250 is a small price to pay for 0 play between adapter lens and camera + accurate infinity focus + repeatable apperture settings with a G lens. I've used cheap ebay m43/Nikon adapters before and there is no comparison.

mico
06-30-2011, 08:23 PM
$250 is a small price to pay for 0 play between adapter lens and camera + accurate infinity focus + repeatable apperture settings with a G lens. I've used cheap ebay m43/Nikon adapters before and there is no comparison.

So true. I guess it took awhile for problems to arise for people to finally realize that its more than just a metal tube that makes some adapters, made by people who know what they're doing, a bit more expensive.

optitek
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
So true. I guess it took awhile for problems to arise for people to finally realize that its more than just a metal tube that makes some adapters, made by people who know what they're doing, a bit more expensive.
Sadly, you are wrong. It's just a metal tube and the only difference is that people that make them speak English so they can come here and make their claims of "hi quality", "aircraft alloy" and " precision engineering". If that's what you mean by "know what they doing" then I agree- you pay more for it...

mico
06-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Sadly, you are wrong. It's just a metal tube and the only difference is that people that make them speak English so they can come here and make their claims of "hi quality", "aircraft alloy" and " precision engineering". If that's what you mean by "know what they doing" than I agree- you pay more for it...

I think you're wrong. Go to the F3 board and tell them they're all suckers. Its got nothing to do with aircraft alloy. Look I know you make adapters so why don't you make one for $25 and put your views to the test. The cheap adapters have no baffle, tolerances are off, infinity focus is elusive for some, I can shine a light on my cheap nikon adapter and see the problem, Alister Chapman ruined his footage using a cheap adapter, and these posts through testimony, some with verifiable video proof show the issue. I choose not to use gaffers tape to fix the issue. Whats your point that they're overcharging because they're not from China? Step up then and make some adapters. Do you think I want to pay hundreds for something you say can be made for far less and without any issues. I'd love for you to prove me wrong. There are a handful of companies that make adapters that do not have these issues and they all charge around the same price. Are they all in collusion together? Just because you make a $750 nikon adapter for the red camera doesn't make you right. I really want you to be right, all you have to do is make a issue free nikon adapter for $25, you'll make a fortune.

David G. Smith
07-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I am using the below adaptor that I purchased off of eBay and I have not had any issues with it. The lens fits to it with no play. There is no play between the adaptor and the camera. There is no light leaks and it focuses to infinity. I paid $22.90 plus shipping. There is no way on God's green earth that I am going to spend several hundred dollars for a mechanical lens adaptor before at least trying a much less expensive alternative.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280606744018&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

mico
07-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I am using the below adaptor that I purchased off of eBay and I have not had any issues with it. The lens fits to it with no play. There is no play between the adaptor and the camera. There is no light leaks and it focuses to infinity. I paid $22.90 plus shipping. There is no way on God's green earth that I am going to spend several hundred dollars for a mechanical lens adaptor before at least trying a much less expensive alternative.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280606744018&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I guess the issue is solved then. I would suggest that anyone looking for a nikon adapter run not walk to ebay and get that perfect adapter based on that recommendation.

optitek
07-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Why should I make a Nikon adapter for $25 if there are tons of them on ebay? It makes no sense. Instead I buy these to test various lenses on various cameras.
They all work fine - I have about half a dozen different ones.

First of all ebay has return policy so you can return them if you don't like them. How is that different than anybody else?

When I took a marketing class at SBA years ago the instructor asked us to clearly define the unique nature of our product or service.
He immediately remarked that he will not accept cliches like "hi quality" or "great customer service" nobody buys poor quality products with poor customer service- he said.
Don't advertise this- it goes without saying. Apparently these cliches are alive and well here and serve as effective marketing. Go figure.....
As for my adapters - they have very unique and clear features that nobody else offers. This is all I need to do- explain what they are. I don't recall saying once that my products are high quality and we offer excellent customer service-this should be a given in this industry. I get compliments from accomplished professionals with amazing credits. That's all I need... Oh and the payment- but that's secondary. Integrity is first...

As far as the cost of European made adapters I think it's fair- I couldn't make and sell them for less.

Unfortunately the reality today is that manufacturing costs less than 20% in China(than in Europe or the US) , on top of that the Chinese are willing to take less profit so the end result is that they charge 10% as their price. This is precisely why we don't want to join the "choir" of standard adapter manufacturers- it's doomed IMO- waste of time.
I could be wrong- I've been before...

mico
07-01-2011, 01:21 AM
It does make sense. You should make one because I'm sure there would be no question of its dependability, which is hit or miss now with the ebay ones (see numerous testimonies). Seriously in your business course didn't they teach you about niche markets or about dependability as a factor in sales.

Don't misunderstand me this is not buyers remorse. I've bought more cheap adapters that didn't work out to finally being very happy in paying the costly price I did for my no issue FD and Nikon adapters. And you know what, if I can afford to pay for an adapter that is paying someone a living wage to make in the US and Europe that makes me kind of happy, instead of supporting a civil rights abusing poverty wage sweat shop child labour abusing country.

I have to wonder though why these expensive adapter companies took the time to put a baffle in their adapters when it isn't necessary. I guess its one of their ploys to make me think they're better adapters.

If you have bought these cheap adapters to test lenses on could you please tell us which ones worked because there seems to be a problem with some of them. A list would really help alot of people including myself in headaches and savings.

Postmaster
07-01-2011, 02:17 AM
As it turns out that the light also shines into some of the expensive adapters - so paying a high price is not a insurance.
On the other hand, we have several 20 bucks adapters here that work flawless.
So the whole "you get what you pay for" discussion is a blind alley.

Still photo equipment - especially lenses don't have that tight tolerances , that we are used to in the motion picture industry anyway.
So buy a few adapters on ebay and return those that don't work for you. Save a lot of money that way and be a happy camper, without the feeling of getting ripped off.

my ct2 - Frank

David G. Smith
07-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I guess the issue is solved then. I would suggest that anyone looking for a nikon adapter run not walk to ebay and get that perfect adapter based on that recommendation.

You can do what you think best with your money and I am going to do what I think best with my money.

If you have bought these cheap adapters to test lenses on could you please tell us which ones worked because there seems to be a problem with some of them. A list would really help alot of people including myself in headaches and savings.

With the adaptor I noted above, I have tested, with no noted issues, a 20mm f2.8 AI-S, a 24mm f2.8 pre-AI, a 35mm f2.8 pre-AI, a 50mm f1.4 pre-AI and a 100mm f2.8 Series E lens.

I actually feel fortunate to have purchased such an inexpensive adaptor that is working without issue. Buying off of eBay can be a crap shoot, but if you have a little bit of experience you can get a feel for the game. I did not buy the first adaptor that came up when I searched for, "Nikon F mount to Sony E mount", nor the least expensive. I pulled up as many as I could find and compared them. What drew me to the adaptor I purchased was that it the eBay seller was a US company and that their feedback was pretty good. Using a US company, as a US resident, means that if you get a sh*t product, you can raise a little bit of hell with eBay, and PayPal, and, at least, get you money back. This may not be the case with non-US sellers, or with adaptors bought directly from a manufacturer or reseller. While I may have lucked out, I also, took very little risk to test out an inexpensive lens adaptor. Welcome to the game.

EDIT: Uhhhh, Frank got in first... so, what he said also.

mico
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Reply to postmaster:

"As it turns out that the light also shines into some of the expensive adapters - so paying a high price is not a insurance."

Not Some just the novoflex. Alas it has no baffle. A German company too. I guess they're not as perfect as they've led the world to believe

"On the other hand, we have several 20 bucks adapters here that work flawless."

Flawless? Which ones, please make a list. Seems theres two problems: light leak and flare. One from the release pin and the other from a non baffled adapter that may casue reflection and flare issues. These issues rear their ugly head only under certain condtions ( see testimonials about relction problems). Alister Chapman said he got flare problems. Baffle solved it. Lab test with cheap adapters are not real world situations. MTF and camera quest have baffles. Why is the baffle there and not in any Chinese adapters? Pleas post a list of the cheap flawless adapters with baffles, I'll buy them right now.

"So the whole "you get what you pay for" discussion is a blind alley."

Really? This: http://www.lensadaptor.com/blog/about/
As opposed to some Chinese factory without any lens testing stamping out metal pipes just copying lens slot fitting specs. Re: Novoflex yes you are correct. Notice though that on the F3 forum where price doesn't seem to be an issue no one is using a novoflex. Seems its MTF all the way. Maybe Novoflex is just buying a cheap chinese adapter and selling it under the novoflex name. Tell Mike Tapa he's ripping people off and show me one Chinese national making cheap adapters that has the same resume as MIke

"So buy a few adapters on ebay and return those that don't work for you. Save a lot of money that way and be a happy camper, without the feeling of getting ripped off."

Have fun I've got better things to do. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off maybe thats just you projecting your feelings. I'm perfectly happy paying for an adapter made by someone with years of lens experience. And why should I go through all that when you say you know the flawless adapters. Go ahead and post these adapters so we won't have to return any.

"my ct2"

Why just your 2 cents. Go the extra mile and gives us 3 cents. Why don't you , david G smith and Optitek quickly get together and make a list of adapters that are flawless and put this to rest. It would be great service to everyone here.

optitek
07-01-2011, 02:44 PM
What drew me to the adaptor I purchased was that it the eBay seller was a US company and that their feedback was pretty good. Using a US company, as a US resident, means that if you get a sh*t product, you can raise a little bit of hell with eBay, and PayPal, and, at least, get you money back. This may not be the case with non-US sellers, or with adaptors bought directly from a manufacturer or reseller. While I may have lucked out, I also, took very little risk to test out an inexpensive lens adaptor. Welcome to the game.
Precisely!! Due diligence, some experience, some patience. That's all it takes to save 90% off the price. I did exactly the same (well , almost- I did order some from China)

Steve Shovlar
07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
The Adaptimax Nikon and Canon EF to Sony E-mount adapters will be available shortly. As usual with Adaptimax, they will be the best on the market and come with a 12 month no quibble guarentee.

We would have released them by now but the demand for the Nikon and Canon EF to F3, as well as the Micro 4/3 adapters has kept us at full capacity for weeks on end.

We are only a small business and manufacture every part ourselves, including bayonet, quick release, baffle etc. It all takes time so if you can wait for the best adapter out there it will be well worth it. Perfect fit, extremely accurate iris adjustment and an adapter that is built like a tank for professional shooters.

Cheers
Steve

bkmvincent
07-01-2011, 04:17 PM

I have all of that with my $50 Fotodiox.

NeedCreative
07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I have all of that with my $50 Fotodiox.

Agreed, my fotodiox adapter is fine, does all that, is a tight fit and has no light leak. My Nipon adapters are the same way. Not so much luck with Bower or Rainbow Imaging though.

David G. Smith
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I shot a lot of test yesterday and today with direct sunlight shining on my adaptor and I went through and used all my lenses. No issues with light leaks at all. Like I said also, there is no play in the adaptor and no issue with infinity focus. Now is this an endorsement of all inexpensive lens adaptors ever made? No; just my experience with the one I bought.

a10tive1
07-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Can anyone comment on the Promaster Kipon adapter (Nikon-F in particular)? It looks like a mid-level adapter and appears to have some light baffling capabilities from the photos I've found. Priced from $78-159 US. Needing to buy one or another soon, and the idea of nearly undetectable yet present fogging concerns me.

mico
07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Haven't used a Kipon but I will say from those pictures that they don't seem much different than the $20 ebay adapters so paying $159 maybe too much for that. I hope someone here has had experience with it to let you know. But that Kipon does seem to have better quality than most. 6 screws in front 4 in back while the cheap ones have fewer but thats where the differences seem to end. Not wanting to stir this up again but I'll explain the difference between my $20 ebay nikon adapter and my cameraquest rayqual $249 adapter so you get an idea of the differences.

The cameraquest has 6 screws in front 5 in back. There are 3 stages of different sized baffles inside the adapter. One large matte box like shaped one in the front and 2 other progressively smaller circular ones in the middle and then towards the back of the adapter. There is an aperture ring that is numbered from 0 to 7. It is heavier than all my cheap adapters.The release button has more depth than my cheap one. There is a very small black hinged lever inside the adapter that is associated with the threaded screw which is deeper into the adapter than the other cheap adapter I have.

The cheap adapters aperture ring feels short as it moves maybe 1/2" where the aperture ring on the rayqual adjusts to over an inch. There are no baffles in the cheap one. Fewer screws, 4 in front none on the back. Lever mechanism is non existent with only a screw that is more forward than the rayqual one. Release button has less depth.

allantab
07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Also has anyone used this $50 Adorama Nikon F-mount to NEX adapter?
http://www.adorama.com/CZNKNEX.html

t (http://www.adorama.com/CZNKNEX.html)hanks

DM_rider
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I have 2 fotodiox nikon to sony adapters and both have tons of play between the lens and adapter now. It is a cheap adapter and I get bad reflections off the sensor with my Tokina 11-16, not to mention bad light leaks. I'll be buying a nicer adapter very soon.

a10tive1
07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I went ahead and purchased the Promaster Kipon adapter for Nikon-F ($78 US). When it arrives I'll do some tests and report back afterwards.

allantab
07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
I bought both Kipon adapters for Nikon F and Canon EOS mounts. Kipon also sells under the Bower and Promaster brands, and are around $80 on ebay (VCC in Florida) and B&H & Adorama. They are very solidly build as I tested a Sigma 70-200mm lens and shorter lenses, and I couldn't see any light leaks. However, I thought the Nikon adapter included an aperture control ring, but it does not. So I'll have to return the Nikon F mount version (will keep Canon EOS mount version)

I'm waiting for the Fotodiox adapter to come in the mail, hopefully tomorrow. Or I'll have to look at the Cameraquest or Novoflex adapters.

profnoxin
07-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Novoflex. Didn't want to screw around with this one because some older Nikon lenses have a lot more play than others and a solidly locking adaptor can be life and death on a quick focus pull. Went with the Fotodiox for my EOS adapter and it's actually quite nice and only like 20 or 40 bucks or something.