PDA

View Full Version : Re: BHPhotoVideo/SageMax Protection Plan Warranty

ectobuilder
05-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Any of you guys had experience USING the BHPhotoVideo/SageMax Protection Plan Warranty?

I was thinking of getting the 3 years for my NEX-FS100, however there appears to be some contradictions in the fine print.

For instance under "Exclusions" it says that defects due to misuse or abuse (i.e. intentional) are not covered.

However at the same time the Protection Plan has "ADH" or Accidental Damage Handling coverage, meaning if ACCIDENTALLY I drop it, crack the lens or spill water on it causing damage then it is covered.

The words here are "accidental" versus "intentional". I asked them how they would discern these two acts and they haven't responded with a straight answer. Therefore I am now hesitant to buy it.

Anyone had an "accident" under this Protection Plan?

Kraut69
05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-service-agreements.aspx

Sony has a way to purchase extended warranties on other cameras. The last time I looked the FS-100 hadn't been added yet. Prices for warranties on other cameras look good, and I think you have a year after purchase to apply for it, but not sure. I plan on digging into this more after the ship date becomes more apparent.

ectobuilder
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-service-agreements.aspx

Sony has a way to purchase extended warranties on other cameras. The last time I looked the FS-100 hadn't been added yet. Prices for warranties on other cameras look good, and I think you have a year after purchase to apply for it, but not sure. I plan on digging into this more after the ship date becomes more apparent.

I believe Sony's extended warranty does not cover accidental damage, just defects occuring due to normal use.

Neighborhood Studios
05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
I bought this exact protection plan for my HMC150, and I was very happy that I did so. When unpacking my camera for a shoot I noticed that the LCD screen was cracked. I have no idea how it happened, but it wasn't a problem. I called up Sagemax, and they had a box shipped out via UPS within a week. I sent in the camera, and it came back fixed and cleaned in under a week. As far as I can tell, ADH plays under the honor system. Definitely worth the cost.

ectobuilder
05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I bought this exact protection plan for my HMC150, and I was very happy that I did so. When unpacking my camera for a shoot I noticed that the LCD screen was cracked. I have no idea how it happened, but it wasn't a problem. I called up Sagemax, and they had a box shipped out via UPS within a week. I sent in the camera, and it came back fixed and cleaned in under a week. As far as I can tell, ADH plays under the honor system. Definitely worth the cost.

Just out of curiosity, did this replacement end the warranty? Or were you allowed to continue your warranty for the remainder of the duration?

If the replacement ended the warranty, do you have the opportunity to purchase a new warranty to cover the replacement unit?

Neighborhood Studios
05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
The camera was repaired, not replaced. The warranty is applicable for as many repairs as you require.

From what I've researched, I believe if your camera is totaled, they write you a check for the original purchase price. However, this ends your warranty with them, and you'd need to pay for a new warranty if you use that check to purchase another camera.

Duke M.
05-21-2011, 05:51 AM
PM Chadfish. He just had a camera fixed under the warranty be bought through B&H.

Shimobe
06-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I don't even hesitate with the sagemax warrenty anymore! ITS A MUST!

I just had a EX3 break at the LCD screen. Long story short.. they took too long to fix so they just sent me a check for the full purchase price!! 2 years after i purchase it!

ectobuilder
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't even hesitate with the sagemax warrenty anymore! ITS A MUST!

I just had a EX3 break at the LCD screen. Long story short.. they took too long to fix so they just sent me a check for the full purchase price!! 2 years after i purchase it!

I ordered the 3 YEAR coverage for my FS100, am I supposed to register or something? Or is it done already? Anything supposed to ship in the mail?