PDA

View Full Version : "The Water's Edge" - NJ Film School

Chris Messineo
05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
http://www.njfilmschool.com/images/the-waters-edge.jpg

Tagline: Two Brothers Lost in the Woods

Synopsis: Jack and Tommy only have each other and the world and the woods are full of dangerous men.

Chris Messineo
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/25146113

Chris Messineo
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
http://www.njfilmschool.com/images/thewatersedgestill.jpg
Still from "The Water's Edge"

Crew and Gear:

I teach a filmmaking class and this past winter we created a film for FictionFest. That was so much fun that our spring class will be back creating a new short for VillainFest. We will shoot this with the AF100 and Nikon Lenses. Now we just need the weather to cooperate. :)

Production Calendar:

5/7/2011: Script Complete

5/8/2011: Cast Complete

5/9/2011: Crew Complete

5/13/2011: Added Composer Chris Hurn

5/21/2011: Shoot Date - Rained Out

5/28/2011: Shoot Date - Wrapped! :)

6/5/2011: Rough Cut - Completed

6/14/2011: Edit Locked and Sent to Composer

6/15/2011: Behind the Scenes Video Posted

6/17/2011: Color Work - Completed

7/5/2011: Score and Sound Mix - Completed

7/6/2011: Entry Uploaded - Let the Games Begin

RodThompson
05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Sick!

Chris Messineo
05-13-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm really excited about this film - we start shooting next week.

And even cooler, we just added Chris Hurn as our composer!

Noel Evans
05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Good luck Chris. The group turned out something solid last time. If its the same group, will be looking for some big steps. Let them know :P

Chris Messineo
05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Noel - I'll tell them.

It's mostly the same crew, only bigger - we have more students. We're also shooting exteriors for the first time - so it should be fun!

We'll try not to disappoint.

Anthony Todaro
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Chris, that title is badass. It makes it feel like a feature... Envisioning a young Brando or Mickey Rourke. No pressure!

Chris Messineo
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Chris, that title is badass. It makes it feel like a feature... Envisioning a young Brando or Mickey Rourke. No pressure!

Cool - I'm glad you dig it!

We do have a couple of "method" actors and if it ever stops raining in New Jersey we might actually shoot this thing. :)

Chris Messineo
05-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Our shoot last Saturday got rained out. So, we're filming the whole thing tomorrow in a 10 hour day.

If the weather gods keep smiling it's should be great!

taylormade
05-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Good luck! One of the reasons we decided to have everything in our film take place indoors - except for the CG opening done in Vue and Poser.

May the weather gods be with you.

Chris Messineo
05-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Awesome shooting day!

9.5 hours, 33 setups, and an exhausted but talented cast and crew.

The best part, we finished 30 minutes ahead of schedule and 15 minutes after we wrapped, the heavens opened and unleashed a torrent of rain.

Now, on to the edit.

Noel Evans
05-29-2011, 05:32 PM
9.5 hours, 33 setups, and an exhausted but talented cast and crew.

Good effort.

Chris Messineo
05-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Our poster is up (first post) - I hope you all like it!

Chris_Keaton
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Looks cool. It better not have a Celtic myth in it though.

Chris Messineo
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Looks cool. It better not have a Celtic myth in it though.

Thanks! No celtics or myths anywhere.

Meanwhile, I should have some stills to share in a week or so.

Chris Messineo
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm assembling our rough cut.

Something went terribly wrong with the sound on the shoot.

I'm not sure what to do. The idea of ADR'ing the whole thing gives me the shivers.

Chris Messineo
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
A little more testing and I think I can salvage most of the sound.

But damn, it's not going to be pretty.

Hawk Teflon
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow! That shoot sounds crazy! How big is your crew this time? 33 setups?! I don't think I've ever worked on anything with that many set ups.

SO SORRY about the sound, man.

Chris Messineo
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Wow! That shoot sounds crazy! How big is your crew this time? 33 setups?! I don't think I've ever worked on anything with that many set ups.

We shot all exterior with a ten person crew using natural light, reflectors, and silks. The crew worked really well together and we moved through the setups pretty quickly.

SO SORRY about the sound, man.

I think the sound will be okay in the final mix, but it's not fun getting there.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
We shot all exterior with a ten person crew using natural light, reflectors, and silks. The crew worked really well together and we moved through the setups pretty quickly.

I think the sound will be okay in the final mix, but it's not fun getting there.Ouch! Best of luck with the sound.

Wilbur Eddings
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow, great looking poster!
Looking forward to the film.
33 setups? That's a lot of running around man. Mine has like.. um.. 4 or something....

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Ouch! Best of luck with the sound.

I should be done with the sound today. It's turning out better than I thought.

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow, great looking poster!
Looking forward to the film.
33 setups? That's a lot of running around man. Mine has like.. um.. 4 or something....

Thanks, I'm glad you dig the poster.

It's not the number of setups that matter, but what you do with the ones you have. Hopefully, we did a good job with ours, but I always feel like we could have done more.

Wilbur Eddings
06-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I always feel like we could have done more.

lol... you should have aimed for a round number like 50! That way your BTS video could have doubled as a fitness workout series!

ASchear
06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Where are the screen grabs?!

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Our edit is pretty well locked and I am sending off the film to Chris Hurn, our composer, tonight.

Where are the screen grabs?!

I haven't done any color work yet, but let me see if I can find a good image to share.

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.njfilmschool.com/images/thewatersedge1.jpg

Straight out of camera - no color correction/grading - yet.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice grab, Chris. Looking good.

ASchear
06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Awesome, Jersey rocks for its foliage. I love all the green.

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Nice grab, Chris. Looking good.

Thanks. This was my first exterior shoot with the AF100 and it was a lot of fun.

Chris Messineo
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Awesome, Jersey rocks for its foliage. I love all the green.

My favorite is Jersey in the fall with all of the autumn colors, but the deep green is cool too.

Chris Messineo
06-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I just posted our Behind the Scenes video (second post in this thread). I hope you all like it.

Wilbur Eddings
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
I just posted our Behind the Scenes video (second post in this thread). I hope you all like it.

Very Schmansy!

I am looking forward to the short, just don't make it too good, mine doesn't have any Shmansyness at all and a devestating defeat might cripple my film making confidence forever!
is that what you want?
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Chris Messineo
06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Very Schmansy!

I am looking forward to the short, just don't make it too good, mine doesn't have any Shmansyness at all and a devestating defeat might cripple my film making confidence forever!
is that what you want?
IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

Not to fear. We're not doing anything fancy - just trying to tell a good story. Your "filmmaking confidence" is safe with us. :)

Wilbur Eddings
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Not to fear. We're not doing anything fancy - just trying to tell a good story. Your "filmmaking confidence" is safe with us. :)

That's what I was afraid of!

Ah well.. you may as well just go for it with all your heart to achieve maximum awesome. Looking forward to you film :)

MrFluffy
06-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Great BTS.

Chris Messineo
06-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Great BTS.

Thanks! We shot over half an hour of BTS video, the tricky part was just choosing a few shots to capture the flavor of the film and the shoot, but not give too much away.

Wilbur Eddings
06-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Very excited to see your final product!

Chris Messineo
06-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Very excited to see your final product!

Me too. :)

We still have the score and color work left to do. I hope it all turns out as good as I imagine it - everyone worked so hard on it.

Ryan P. Kelly
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Looking good! Love that grab

Chris Messineo
06-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I finished the color work. I might have a couple more stills to share tomorrow.

The only thing left is the score and I can't wait to hear what Chris Hurn comes up with.

ZazaCast
06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Looking really good Chris...as usual!

Chris Messineo
06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Looking really good Chris...as usual!

Thanks a lot. I really like this one and I hope everyone else does too.

Chris Messineo
06-17-2011, 08:52 PM
http://www.njfilmschool.com/images/thewatersedgestill.jpg

Here is the image (that I posted before), but with color work done.

Honestly, it's not very different from the original, but we were able to get most of what we wanted in camera.

taylormade
06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, looks better with those blacks crushed a bit. Nice shot.

ashpatel
06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Love that still taken. The greens just pop, and the characters feel small and lonely in that still. Did we remember to pay that tree for being in our shot?

Chris Messineo
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, looks better with those blacks crushed a bit. Nice shot.

Thanks!

Love that still taken. The greens just pop, and the characters feel small and lonely in that still. Did we remember to pay that tree for being in our shot?

That tree is awesome. I've wanted to shoot in that spot for years and I'm glad we finally got a chance to do it.

darshangr
06-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Eagerly waiting to watch the final product!!!

William_Robinette
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Chris, sounds like a whole lot of work and a whole lot more fun! The location looks awesome, can't wait to see it!

Chris Messineo
06-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to sharing it and seeing all the other films too.

This is my fourth fest and I've never been ready this early (although we still have the score to do) and now the wait is killing me. :)

Hawk Teflon
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
So other than the score you're done?! Wow! Impressive, sir!

So do you edit these once your students shoot it, or do they edit it?

Chris Messineo
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
So other than the score you're done?! Wow! Impressive, sir!

So do you edit these once your students shoot it, or do they edit it?

I'm not use to being done so early - it's unsettling.

The edit is all mine (for better or worse).

Marlon Ladd
06-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Looking good, Chris! The poster is sweet. Got me wondering what it's about. You always come up with good stories.

ZazaCast
06-28-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm not use to being done so early - it's unsettling.

...time for a second entry!

Chris Messineo
06-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Looking good, Chris! The poster is sweet. Got me wondering what it's about. You always come up with good stories.

Thanks a lot. Screenwriting is definitely my first love.

...time for a second entry!

I wish. We are still working on the music for, "The Water's Edge".

Speak of which, Chris Hurn (our composer) is doing an amazing job. I just hope I'm not driving him insane with all my feedback.

Chris Messineo
07-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I received the latest version of the score from Chris Hurn today and it is wonderful. I'm so happy. :)

KhamIsk
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Great still there and very nice video. I'm planning to watch them all this time. Good luck with the movie! Wondering who wrote it though.

Chris Messineo
07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I wrote it. So the blame is all mine.

ZazaCast
07-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I received the latest version of the score from Chris Hurn today and it is wonderful. I'm so happy. :)
This is going to be a good one!

Chris Messineo
07-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I hope so, but don't get your expectations too high - I don't want to disappoint everyone.

Everyone imagine it's going to be a disaster. :huh:

darshangr
07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

I am sure that it would be awesome with the score...!!

taylormade
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Come on Chris, I can't imagine it's going to be a disaster! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Chris Messineo
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Score and sound mix are done. Now, I just have to compress it down to 100 megs.

ZazaCast
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Score and sound mix are done. Now, I just have to compress it down to 100 megs.

Excellent!

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Cool

ZazaCast
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
:grin: Ha... beat you to the upload!

Chris Messineo
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes you did, but I will have my revenge (insert evil laugh here).

ZazaCast
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes you did, but I will have my revenge (insert evil laugh here).
I think you already have...yours is so good, it's up there twice. :beer:

Chris Messineo
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I think you already have...yours is so good, it's up there twice. :beer:

Uh oh - how did that happen? I hope I didn't screw anything up. :huh:

Chris Messineo
07-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Meanwhile, as part of the submission process it asked for a tagline and synopsis, here is ours:

Tagline: Two Brothers Lost in the Woods

Synopsis: Jack and Tommy only have each other and the world and the woods are full of dangerous men.

kimko
07-06-2011, 07:58 PM
nice Chris, can't wait to see it

Chris Messineo
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
nice Chris, can't wait to see it

Thanks man, I can't wait for everyone to check it out - so far the only person who's seen the finished film is my wife, I haven't even shared it with the cast and crew.

In fact, I'm getting together on Friday the 15th for a VillainFest viewing party with the crew. It should be a blast.

kimko
07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
That sounds like fun!

Anthony Todaro
07-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Your banner keeps catching my eye every thread I see it on. That luscious green you pulled is great.

Lynchenstein
07-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Your banner keeps catching my eye every thread I see it on. That luscious green you pulled is great.

Agreed - the vibrant green is very eye catching. The production still is very cool as well - can't wait to see these colours in motion!

Chris Messineo
07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys!

Honestly, those greens are practically straight out of camera. We shot in the woods after a week of steady rain and it was almost like a jungle in there.

Tim Joy
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Looks great. I have high hopes for this one.

Matt Harris
07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Chris I love it that you do these with your students, so cool. And I really liked your last short, i'm looking forward to this one.

Chris Messineo
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Looks great. I have high hopes for this one.

Me too. :)

Chris I love it that you do these with your students, so cool. And I really liked your last short, i'm looking forward to this one.

It's so much fun working with the students. I think they really stepped up their game this time. I hope you all like it.

Hawk Teflon
07-09-2011, 06:39 PM
SPOILER REVIEW:

Chris, this was a wonderful short. I wanted to come into this with open eyes and miss any simple things that your students may have overlooked because, well, they're students and they're learning. You should be super proud of them, though, because I didn't have to do that at all. The opening shots were beautiful, the pace was great, and the actors all did a great job. And give Kevin a freaking Oscar. That guy NAILED it. I think you guys did a phenomenal job. In all honesty, I don't know what to tell you to work on. Everything was wonderfully done. And i'm not just saying that (you can check other threads and you'll see I've tried to give plusses and minuses to all of the shorts). Great, great job, sir! You and your crew really made something great here.

Marlon Ladd
07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
CHRIS!!!! I'm in awe! You guys did super-great! This was a well-paced great story. The meat is on the bones all throughout. The shots were excellent as were all the actors and kudos for the cool money shot. I can't say enough about the acting and obviously your editing put this puzzle together big time. The only things I saw was a medium close-up when they were by the tree that was a little out of focus and no blood on the guy at the end. That's not a big deal though, because it didn't bother me that much. He could have been hit in an area that we just did not see. I felt for the kid and the boat and money shot at the end was, well. . .money. Very, very nice! Oh, sh*T! I almost forgot, the music was also great! LOL!

Chris Messineo
07-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Chris, this was a wonderful short. I wanted to come into this with open eyes and miss any simple things that your students may have overlooked because, well, they're students and they're learning. You should be super proud of them, though, because I didn't have to do that at all. The opening shots were beautiful, the pace was great, and the actors all did a great job. And give Kevin a freaking Oscar. That guy NAILED it. I think you guys did a phenomenal job. In all honesty, I don't know what to tell you to work on. Everything was wonderfully done. And i'm not just saying that (you can check other threads and you'll see I've tried to give plusses and minuses to all of the shorts). Great, great job, sir! You and your crew really made something great here.

CHRIS!!!! I'm in awe! You guys did super-great! This was a well-paced great story. The meat is on the bones all throughout. The shots were excellent as were all the actors and kudos for the cool money shot. I can't say enough about the acting and obviously your editing put this puzzle together big time. The only things I saw was a medium close-up when they were by the tree that was a little out of focus and no blood on the guy at the end. That's not a big deal though, because it didn't bother me that much. He could have been hit in an area that we just did not see. I felt for the kid and the boat and money shot at the end was, well. . .money. Very, very nice! Oh, sh*T! I almost forgot, the music was also great! LOL!

So, I'm trapped in a hotel in New Hope for the night and I can't view any of the films yet, but I did manage to sneak a quick look at our first two reviews.

I seriously can't thank you both enough. I'll have more thoughts tomorrow, but for now, I just had to say - You made my night!

Matt Harris
07-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Wow Chris this is STRONG. I really have no negative comments, only praise. I love the lush environment, i love chris hurn's score, i love the actors and i really liked where the story took me. I didn't think it was going there at all. The whole "boat" thing, the concept and the shots of the boat, were a nice touch. This is your best work yet, far and away.

taylormade
07-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Chris, what a terrific film. I’ve watched all the entries and visually, this was the best by far. The natural lighting and the location didn’t hurt, but you and your team made the most of them. The acting was superb behind a strong story.
Although the story worked very well for the most part, I felt the confrontation between the brother and the cop was a bit off. Wouldn’t the kidnapper know what the father of his victim looked like? And why would the kidnapper bring his brother along to such a dangerous situation? The offhand mention of the victim, the girl, also left me hanging. I expected to see her floating in the river.
Not a big deal, just some thoughts that crept into the back of my mind while viewing. Overall, one of the strongest entries.

MrFluffy
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Beautiful. The production values of this were very high. Excellent camera work, sound was perfect, acting very strong and belivable. The only think I had a problem with was the ending.
At first the "cop"says, "Wheres my daughter", then "I'm the police". The police would have filled that wood, the cop would be wired etc.. and why kidnap a cops daughter!? So that just didnt make sense to me.

Still that being said it was a real beauty, well done.

Matthew B
07-10-2011, 05:31 AM
This was a very nice entry. A good film overall.

A few nitpicks. The cops dialogue seems to be clipping pretty badly when he says "police. now drop the gun. your both under arrest". Also a few shots seem to miss their focus marks.
I found Tommy's performance quite nice, but thought his crying at the end went for far too long, i found myself getting a little irritated by it.

Like i said, just a few nitpicks. I thought this was a nice little story.

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 05:38 AM

Thanks Hawk. I'm so glad you liked it. I can't wait to share your review with the whole team (especially Kevin).

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Marlon, You're too kind.

Good catch on the that two-shot at the tree - the focus is definitely a little soft. I wish there was a way to fix that, but alas, it's like that in all the takes. :(

As for the blood, it is actually on his chest, but the camera angle we chose almost hides it completely (you can barely see a dark spot by his sternum). I wish we had that to do again too. :(

I'm glad you liked the money shot. That was a nightmare to do, as those were real hundreds floating in the water.

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Wow Chris this is STRONG. I really have no negative comments, only praise. I love the lush environment, i love chris hurn's score, i love the actors and i really liked where the story took me. I didn't think it was going there at all. The whole "boat" thing, the concept and the shots of the boat, were a nice touch. This is your best work yet, far and away.

Wow, thank you so much. Everyone worked so hard on this: the crew, the actors, Chris Hurn - I'm just really touched that you liked it so much.

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Chris, what a terrific film. I’ve watched all the entries and visually, this was the best by far. The natural lighting and the location didn’t hurt, but you and your team made the most of them. The acting was superb behind a strong story.

Although the story worked very well for the most part, I felt the confrontation between the brother and the cop was a bit off. Wouldn’t the kidnapper know what the father of his victim looked like? And why would the kidnapper bring his brother along to such a dangerous situation? The offhand mention of the victim, the girl, also left me hanging. I expected to see her floating in the river.
Not a big deal, just some thoughts that crept into the back of my mind while viewing. Overall, one of the strongest entries.

Great review and questions raised.

I wrote and edited the story and it wasn't until the edit that I realized I left too much in the subtext. My intention was that Jack isn't the actual kidnapper, he's just the money man - a low level crook sent to the middle of nowhere to pick up the money at the drop. I could have fixed this in the dialogue - added more to the "that's not how these things work..." line. Oh well, next time.

Anyway, I'm glad you we're still able to enjoy the film.

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Beautiful. The production values of this were very high. Excellent camera work, sound was perfect, acting very strong and belivable. The only think I had a problem with was the ending.

At first the "cop"says, "Wheres my daughter", then "I'm the police". The police would have filled that wood, the cop would be wired etc.. and why kidnap a cops daughter!? So that just didnt make sense to me.

Still that being said it was a real beauty, well done.

I apologize if the ending was confusing - I wrote it, so any confusion is my fault.

My idea was that the kidnappers have led this man on a wild good chase that ends up in this clearing (and prevents anyone else from following him). But what Jack doesn't realize is that this cop came in place of the father. Once the cop realizes the girl isn't there (and Tommy accidentally distracts Jack), the man reveals himself to be a cop. I hope that makes sense.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of it.

Chris Messineo
07-10-2011, 06:18 AM
This was a very nice entry. A good film overall.

A few nitpicks. The cops dialogue seems to be clipping pretty badly when he says "police. now drop the gun. your both under arrest". Also a few shots seem to miss their focus marks.
I found Tommy's performance quite nice, but thought his crying at the end went for far too long, i found myself getting a little irritated by it.

Like i said, just a few nitpicks. I thought this was a nice little story.

Thanks for the detailed review.

The sound is definitely rough in spots and (as I mentioned above) we missed focus on that one two-shot. The crying at the end was tough to edit. I tried it at a dozen different lengths (longer and shorter) and this felt right to me, but you may be right.

Dustin R. Rogan
07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I followed this film from beginning to end, and AUH-MAZIN' sir! Acting, visually, audio...had no faults. My #1 fo sho

Excellent job sir

Rogan

Nemesis TS
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
I really enjoyed your film. Cinematography was awesome. The acting was great, I especially liked the guy who played Jack.
Good job.

Wish I knew what happened with the girl. Otherwise awesome job!

boomforreel
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
This film looked great. The main bad guy looked good against the lush, green background. I especially liked the sound. The birds chirping in the background added a nice touch. When people are talking or crying in the distance, did you capture that by shooting from a distance or do you make it sound like that when editing?

ZazaCast
07-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Wow... beautiful film Chris! (I wasn't expecting anything less) This is your (or your film school students) best work yet. You have to love the AF100, give it a nice sunny day in the lush woods and you're in heaven! (I love mine...can you tell?). Add to that a well written script, a few good actors, a dedicated crew and this is the level of film that can be produced! All involved should be really proud of this film. Lets not forget the score either, Chris did an exceptional job.

Congratulations to all! :thumbsup:

Play-by-play:
Aspect ratio worked nicely on this one with such beautiful images. As soon as I heard 'Tommy' speak, "Of Mice and Men" instantly popped into my head. Your directors did a great job with the actors overall. There were a few soft focus shots that stood out, but only because the rest of it was so sharp. The story did have a few small things as mentioned...the cop alone in the woods...and not wearing his vest? He had been running and wasn't sweating at all? Two 'kill shots'? Tommy's crying might have been a little over the top...but all this is just picky little things. I really had to dig to find anything to comment about.

Since this was a NJ Film School project.... the only thing I would have liked to see, since students are credited with everything else, was to have a few students edit this one too. As an assignment you could have had each student make their own edit and talk about which one everyone liked best...then go with that edit for the fest.

Lynchenstein
07-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Play-by-play:
As soon as I heard 'Tommy' speak, "Of Mice and Men" instantly popped into my head.

Yes! That's instantly what I thought too. I loved the colours and the quality of the images were top notch in my opinion. When it fell apart for me was the interaction with the cop. I can't really put my finger on it, but I was immersed up until that point but then you lost me a little.

Tommy's crying was OK for me. I think that the realization that he and his brother were actually "bad guys" followed by the sudden and violent death of his beloved brother would make a man like Tommy react in exactly that way. His world was completely broken.

The closing shot of the boat in the water and the money floating by was beautiful.

Tim Joy
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Congrats! best of the fest, IMO.
Loved the cinematography from the very first shot all the way through. The acting was great, believable, and the writing was, as usual, peppered with surprises and just perfectly natural. One of the few.. or maybe the only one, that I could just enjoy as a story and keep the 'critical filmmaker in me' down. You should be proud!

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I followed this film from beginning to end, and AUH-MAZIN' sir! Acting, visually, audio...had no faults. My #1 fo sho

Excellent job sir

Rogan

Wow, what can I say, thank you so much. I'm truly honored.

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
I really enjoyed your film. Cinematography was awesome. The acting was great, I especially liked the guy who played Jack.
Good job.

Wish I knew what happened with the girl. Otherwise awesome job!

Thanks for all the kind words - I'm so glad you liked it.

As for the girl, she lived happily every after. Actually, I have no idea what happened to the girl - I was too fixated on Tommy and Jack's story, but I think that is a very fair question - maybe there could be a sequel. :)

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
This film looked great. The main bad guy looked good against the lush, green background. I especially liked the sound. The birds chirping in the background added a nice touch. When people are talking or crying in the distance, did you capture that by shooting from a distance or do you make it sound like that when editing?

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you liked the look of it. We worked hard on the compositions, but the location really did all the heavy lifting. Those birds would not shut up, but luckily they added a cool ambience. As for the distant dialogue, it was all recorded at a distance, except for the final shot of the boat with Tommy crying (that was done in post).

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow... beautiful film Chris! (I wasn't expecting anything less) This is your (or your film school students) best work yet. You have to love the AF100, give it a nice sunny day in the lush woods and you're in heaven! (I love mine...can you tell?). Add to that a well written script, a few good actors, a dedicated crew and this is the level of film that can be produced! All involved should be really proud of this film. Lets not forget the score either, Chris did an exceptional job.

Congratulations to all! :thumbsup:

Play-by-play:
Aspect ratio worked nicely on this one with such beautiful images. As soon as I heard 'Tommy' speak, "Of Mice and Men" instantly popped into my head. Your directors did a great job with the actors overall. There were a few soft focus shots that stood out, but only because the rest of it was so sharp. The story did have a few small things as mentioned...the cop alone in the woods...and not wearing his vest? He had been running and wasn't sweating at all? Two 'kill shots'? Tommy's crying might have been a little over the top...but all this is just picky little things. I really had to dig to find anything to comment about.

Since this was a NJ Film School project.... the only thing I would have liked to see, since students are credited with everything else, was to have a few students edit this one too. As an assignment you could have had each student make their own edit and talk about which one everyone liked best...then go with that edit for the fest.

Thank you so much for the thorough review. I am getting together with the crew on Friday and can't wait to share all of these with everyone - what a great way to learn what worked and how we can continue to improve.

The AF100 is a beautiful camera - the one I have been dreaming about for ten years - I can't say enough good things about it.

I'm so glad you mentioned "Of Mice and Men" - I adore Steinbeck and that was definitely in the back of my head for this.

We are definitely kicking ourselves over the soft focus in that two shot (and there is another shot we had to abandon all together), but as I told my students we are still learning and we have to learn from our mistakes as well as our successes.

Two of my students are working on their own edit, but their both still so new to it - hopefully that is something I can continue to work with them on in the future.

Thanks again for all your insights - I truly appreciate it.

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes! That's instantly what I thought too. I loved the colours and the quality of the images were top notch in my opinion. When it fell apart for me was the interaction with the cop. I can't really put my finger on it, but I was immersed up until that point but then you lost me a little.

Tommy's crying was OK for me. I think that the realization that he and his brother were actually "bad guys" followed by the sudden and violent death of his beloved brother would make a man like Tommy react in exactly that way. His world was completely broken.

The closing shot of the boat in the water and the money floating by was beautiful.

Editing this was tricky, we had a fair bit of coverage and trying to get the pacing right was hard. I think I might of rushed the climatic moment with the cop and perhaps that's what made it feel a bit off for you.

I'm glad that the tears worked for you and especially that final shot with the boat. I've had that image in my head for a long time and it was great to get in on the page and then on film - it sure wasn't easy to shoot. :)

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Congrats! best of the fest, IMO.
Loved the cinematography from the very first shot all the way through. The acting was great, believable, and the writing was, as usual, peppered with surprises and just perfectly natural. One of the few.. or maybe the only one, that I could just enjoy as a story and keep the 'critical filmmaker in me' down. You should be proud!

So many people worked really hard on this and I'm very proud of them all. Thank you so much!

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Thank you all for the reviews so far.

I've watched all the films in the fest once, I'm going to watch them a second time tonight, and then I will start reviewing them all.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
This was excellent!

Yes, I got a real Mice & Men feel from it but that's no big deal. The actors were all quite good. Especially the emotional scene, kudos on that. I know you said that sound was difficult and I think that's your weakest part.

I think a good sound design guy can clean it up even further. As is it's not too bad though. Didn't distract me from what was going on.

The story was excellent and the cinematography was beautiful. One or two soft focus shots but that's nitpicking. One of the best I've watched so far.

Congratulations.

totitefilms
07-11-2011, 03:05 PM
This movie is one of the best in this fest. Just love it.

lawriejaffa
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Spoilers//
The Water's Edge is (very much in the mould of a writers ambition!) Yes its pretentious - almost outrageously so - it sings of 'Mice and Men' and any short film (with a name akin to a novel's suggests that quality!) It certainly stands out too (positively) in a dvxfest which mostly comprises of commercial style genre homages! So while the pretension is self evident (and a little campy) on one intellectual level, its still I believe personally a positive element in your film, that you veered into such territory as it makes the film all the more original among the competition. To make us care for the villains - (even if it is a little excruciating in its sentimentality) is an achievement and the film succeeds in doing this. The cinematography is lush and beautiful, the performances, particualrly that of the disabled character is brilliant and courageous.

A film like this might illicit a groan from the would be cynical intelligencia (and i don't count myself among them) but for your average viewer, its 'worthy' and to me above that, its is original, its original in how it makes us reacte psychologically to these characters and the story. Thank goodness our disabled character didn't become some kind of 'hills have eye's hick monster man handling our poor girly kidnap victim.

Overall I placed this film in my own top 5!

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
This was excellent!

Yes, I got a real Mice & Men feel from it but that's no big deal. The actors were all quite good. Especially the emotional scene, kudos on that. I know you said that sound was difficult and I think that's your weakest part.

I think a good sound design guy can clean it up even further. As is it's not too bad though. Didn't distract me from what was going on.

The story was excellent and the cinematography was beautiful. One or two soft focus shots but that's nitpicking. One of the best I've watched so far.

Congratulations.

Thanks for the awesome review. I'm really psyched that you liked it so much.

The sound came a long way from the first edit, but I agree, we could still take it further. I still have much to learn. Your sound mixes are always so awesome - how did you get so good?

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
This movie is one of the best in this fest. Just love it.

Thanks so much!

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Spoilers//
The Water's Edge is (very much in the mould of a writers ambition!) Yes its pretentious - almost outrageously so - it sings of 'Mice and Men' and any short film (with a name akin to a novel's suggests that quality!) It certainly stands out too (positively) in a dvxfest which mostly comprises of commercial style genre homages! So while the pretension is self evident (and a little campy) on one intellectual level, its still I believe personally a positive element in your film, that you veered into such territory as it makes the film all the more original among the competition. To make us care for the villains - (even if it is a little excruciating in its sentimentality) is an achievement and the film succeeds in doing this. The cinematography is lush and beautiful, the performances, particualrly that of the disabled character is brilliant and courageous.

A film like this might illicit a groan from the would be cynical intelligencia (and i don't count myself among them) but for your average viewer, its 'worthy' and to me above that, its is original, its original in how it makes us reacte psychologically to these characters and the story. Thank goodness our disabled character didn't become some kind of 'hills have eye's hick monster man handling our poor girly kidnap victim.

Overall I placed this film in my own top 5!

What can I say?

Your perspective is always honest and unique and I really respect that.

I'm honored to make your top five (even if you do think I'm pretentious). :)

Thanks for the truly epic review.

AJ Brooks
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
The visuals were very memorable, which says a lot because it means it's more than just pretty cinematography.

A bold entry.

Great work.

Chris Messineo
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
The visuals were very memorable, which says a lot because it means it's more than just pretty cinematography.

A bold entry.

Great work.

Thanks a lot.

I keep an idea box filled with stories, characters, dialogue, and images and a couple of the images from "The Water's Edge" have been with me for years. It just took me that long to find the right story that they fit in.

Mobie540
07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
WOW! I loved this one! Maybe it's because the story and relationship is very familiar...Of Mice and Men.

Strongest story so far! You really were effective pulling at my heartstrings. Now is that b/c it's a direct reflection of Steinbeck...I dont' think so.

Actors rocked their parts.

Was there an accidental jump cut or did my player skip forward in the middle. Little bit mismatched colors here and there, you can tell with the greens. Shooting in the forest is nerve wracking with all the natural sounds and it seemed seamless to me.

Chris Messineo
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
WOW! I loved this one! Maybe it's because the story and relationship is very familiar...Of Mice and Men.

Strongest story so far! You really were effective pulling at my heartstrings. Now is that b/c it's a direct reflection of Steinbeck...I dont' think so.

Actors rocked their parts.

Was there an accidental jump cut or did my player skip forward in the middle. Little bit mismatched colors here and there, you can tell with the greens. Shooting in the forest is nerve wracking with all the natural sounds and it seemed seamless to me.

Thanks for the great review - I'm so happy you liked the story.

I'm friends with all those actors and it was really great to work with them.

There is definitely no jump cut - so maybe something got corrupted in the download.

Shooting in the woods is challenging, but honestly, I loved it and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks again.

zucked
07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Chris,
I haven't read through all the comments, so I hope my thoughts aren't repetitive: First the good -- I thought the cinematography was all in all fantastic. Just about every shot was beautiful and professional, and made this film really stand out. The location worked well too, interestingly juxtaposed with the darker nature of the film. Probably my favorite thing about the film was the the actor who played jack - he absolutely nailed it and really seemed like a big name actor.
The things that didn't work quite so well for me are story-related. Perhaps because I once made a film for school of "Of Mice and Men," Jack and tommy's relationship seemed immediately to me a bit uninspired. I wasn't crazy about the "We're bad guys?" line. That sort of line spells things out too much for me, and makes me remember that this film I'm watching comes from a script - it makes it less natural, and I think you could've gotten to that point in the film with more subtlety - certainly a cool idea to explore though. The last thing is that after watching it cumulatively about five times (alone and when showing to some friends), I still can't figure out the meaning of the boat. Love the image, and I'm convinced I'm just missing something...but I just don't know.
Anyway a serious congratulations on making a real winner of a film.

4100xpb
07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks to you and your students for submitting this Chris. I don't know what you did differently this time, but this is a big step up from your class's last entry (can't remember the title, the undercover cop film). I loved Jerry Broome. He gave tremendous life to Jack and was a lot of fun to watch. This was shot beautifully, and has the best use of colour I've seen I think in any of these fests.

As a bad guy looking out for his innocent brother, he's an interesting character too. I would love to have known just a little bit more about him. I like the nice, simple goal, but I also struggled with the believability - why would a man like Jack bring his brother to a deal like this? That said, while I saw it coming, I loved Tommy as the inadvertent antagonist. He adds tremendous heart.

I'm picking on stories this fest, and you had one of the stronger ones, but I think it could have been stronger still. My main issue with the film is I don't know what is at stake or what jeopardy Jack is in until the very end. Without knowing what's at risk, I don't invest myself into the characters as much as I would like.

The stakes are there, but by concealing them until the end leaves me waiting to see what happens rather than anticipating what happens. The main way this comes across to me is how you juxtapose the cop running through the woods with the two brothers. I see the two different events, but with no context about how the two relate, all I can do is wait for the two to finally connect.

By revealing more of both parties motives earlier on, I think you could drive up the suspense level. Instead of thinking thinking 'I wonder how and when these two lines are going to connect,' I''m thinking ‘what’s going to happen when the cop with the cash meets with the kidnapper trying to hide his brother.’ That is a juicy dilemma that would have me living in anticipation of the event.

This is something I struggle with a lot in my own stories - how much to reveal and when. It's never an easy answer. Apologies if it seems I'm coming down heavy on this, this film was one of the best for me, I just would love to see it taken that next level. Congratulations to you and your students, you did a great job.

Chris_Keaton
07-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I liked this. The twist was nice and not overly expected. I think the ending might've had more impact if the guy didn't have a big bawling fit, but just stood confused, maybe even trying to wake his brother up because he doesn't really know about death. Overall great job.

Chris Messineo
07-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Chris,
I haven't read through all the comments, so I hope my thoughts aren't repetitive: First the good -- I thought the cinematography was all in all fantastic. Just about every shot was beautiful and professional, and made this film really stand out. The location worked well too, interestingly juxtaposed with the darker nature of the film. Probably my favorite thing about the film was the the actor who played jack - he absolutely nailed it and really seemed like a big name actor.
The things that didn't work quite so well for me are story-related. Perhaps because I once made a film for school of "Of Mice and Men," Jack and tommy's relationship seemed immediately to me a bit uninspired. I wasn't crazy about the "We're bad guys?" line. That sort of line spells things out too much for me, and makes me remember that this film I'm watching comes from a script - it makes it less natural, and I think you could've gotten to that point in the film with more subtlety - certainly a cool idea to explore though. The last thing is that after watching it cumulatively about five times (alone and when showing to some friends), I still can't figure out the meaning of the boat. Love the image, and I'm convinced I'm just missing something...but I just don't know.
Anyway a serious congratulations on making a real winner of a film.

Thanks a lot for the review.

I'm glad you like the look and I'll pass your compliments along to the actor.

As for the boat, it can mean whatever you want it to mean. For me, it kind of represents innocence, childhood, and the loss of both. But that's just me. It could just be a boat. :)

Chris Messineo
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks to you and your students for submitting this Chris. I don't know what you did differently this time, but this is a big step up from your class's last entry (can't remember the title, the undercover cop film). I loved Jerry Broome. He gave tremendous life to Jack and was a lot of fun to watch. This was shot beautifully, and has the best use of colour I've seen I think in any of these fests.

As a bad guy looking out for his innocent brother, he's an interesting character too. I would love to have known just a little bit more about him. I like the nice, simple goal, but I also struggled with the believability - why would a man like Jack bring his brother to a deal like this? That said, while I saw it coming, I loved Tommy as the inadvertent antagonist. He adds tremendous heart.

I'm picking on stories this fest, and you had one of the stronger ones, but I think it could have been stronger still. My main issue with the film is I don't know what is at stake or what jeopardy Jack is in until the very end. Without knowing what's at risk, I don't invest myself into the characters as much as I would like.

The stakes are there, but by concealing them until the end leaves me waiting to see what happens rather than anticipating what happens. The main way this comes across to me is how you juxtapose the cop running through the woods with the two brothers. I see the two different events, but with no context about how the two relate, all I can do is wait for the two to finally connect.

By revealing more of both parties motives earlier on, I think you could drive up the suspense level. Instead of thinking thinking 'I wonder how and when these two lines are going to connect,' I''m thinking ‘what’s going to happen when the cop with the cash meets with the kidnapper trying to hide his brother.’ That is a juicy dilemma that would have me living in anticipation of the event.

This is something I struggle with a lot in my own stories - how much to reveal and when. It's never an easy answer. Apologies if it seems I'm coming down heavy on this, this film was one of the best for me, I just would love to see it taken that next level. Congratulations to you and your students, you did a great job.

I'm digging all your reviews. I love that you are focusing on story. I consider myself a screenwriter first and I love storytelling.

I totally get what you're saying about stakes. I tried to create tension through the intercutting and the mystery of what is unfolding, but I understand how that might not work for everyone. Sometimes with a short like this, it is hard to get the balance just right.

Thanks again for your thoughtful review. I'm really glad you liked it so much.

Chris Messineo
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I liked this. The twist was nice and not overly expected. I think the ending might've had more impact if the guy didn't have a big bawling fit, but just stood confused, maybe even trying to wake his brother up because he doesn't really know about death. Overall great job.

Thanks a lot, Chris.

I appreciate your take on that final scene. We had the actor play those first moments after the gun shots in a state of confusion and then, when the realization hit, so do his tears. Maybe my editing is too quick during the first part.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm happy that you liked it.

MattinSTL
07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
This was a solid entry. I'd give plenty of praise to Kevin for giving that role his all... it's an emotional risk for an actor to go that way... having to let go of inhibitions and self-conscious analysis. Jerry was also good... both of these guys were very believable in their roles. Frank didn't really get a chance to get going in there... but he looked to have potential as well.

I've started watching (and re-watching) the entries with my favorite cans on... HD600's... to be sure I don't miss any dialog or soundtrack... but they are brutally revealing. In this film... it still sounds pretty good... the only thing I may have done differently, r.e. the sound...the gunshots at the end could have trailed out a lot longer... a sustaining crack and echo through the woods as the shot lands on Tommy's horrified face would have been awesome. Through the HD600's the gun shots ended very abruptly.

I also agree that Tommy's crying escalates almost too far... but that's not to say it's bad... that DOES fit the character and the story, but it really steals the show... that's just an opinion of course, more of a finesse comment then a critique. Finally... I think everybody could have been more dirty... especially the cop... who, if he was running this whole time... should be at least as sweaty as Jack... who had to wipe his face.

Please take the critique as it's intended... for the value of honest opinions only... and not to break down what is a really good short. This is another entry that gets high marks from me. I'm intrigued by your actors and expect they could sustain a much longer and more involved story.

Chris Messineo
07-14-2011, 09:09 AM
This was a solid entry. I'd give plenty of praise to Kevin for giving that role his all... it's an emotional risk for an actor to go that way... having to let go of inhibitions and self-conscious analysis. Jerry was also good... both of these guys were very believable in their roles. Frank didn't really get a chance to get going in there... but he looked to have potential as well.

I've started watching (and re-watching) the entries with my favorite cans on... HD600's... to be sure I don't miss any dialog or soundtrack... but they are brutally revealing. In this film... it still sounds pretty good... the only thing I may have done differently, r.e. the sound...the gunshots at the end could have trailed out a lot longer... a sustaining crack and echo through the woods as the shot lands on Tommy's horrified face would have been awesome. Through the HD600's the gun shots ended very abruptly.

I also agree that Tommy's crying escalates almost too far... but that's not to say it's bad... that DOES fit the character and the story, but it really steals the show... that's just an opinion of course, more of a finesse comment then a critique. Finally... I think everybody could have been more dirty... especially the cop... who, if he was running this whole time... should be at least as sweaty as Jack... who had to wipe his face.

Please take the critique as it's intended... for the value of honest opinions only... and not to break down what is a really good short. This is another entry that gets high marks from me. I'm intrigued by your actors and expect they could sustain a much longer and more involved story.

I love your critique and I really appreciate your sound expertise.

I wish I had a better gun shot recording - that echo would have been cool. Also, I can't believe we didn't think to dirty up the man more. Excellent suggestions.

Thanks again and I'm so glad you really liked it.

Chris Lukeman
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
This was really fantastic, beautifully shot and performed. While the characters' relationship was pretty simple, it felt right to me for the length of the work. I would agree that the crying might have gone on for one shot too many.

One thing that did pop out to me is that I didn't know that the villain had also been killed until the medium shot at 4:44 I believe where the brother kneels down next to the body. I didn't know if this ambiguity that the men shot each other vs the villain shot the cop and won was on purpose or not. It worked for me either way. (also sorry I didn't hit the right spoiler tag haha)

Chris Messineo
07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
This was really fantastic, beautifully shot and performed. While the characters' relationship was pretty simple, it felt right to me for the length of the work. I would agree that the crying might have gone on for one shot too many.

One thing that did pop out to me is that I didn't know that the villain had also been killed until the medium shot at 4:44 I believe where the brother kneels down next to the body. I didn't know if this ambiguity that the men shot each other vs the villain shot the cop and won was on purpose or not. It worked for me either way. (also sorry I didn't hit the right spoiler tag haha)

Thank you for your great review.

That's cool that you dug that moment of ambiguity. During pre-production, one of the crew members suggested that we shoot the gunfight from Tommy's perspective - playing out as much as possible on his face and keeping the audience in suspense. It's nice to hear that it worked for you.

Not to worry about the spoilers - I think most people watch the film before reading any comments.

Gord.T
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey Chris. I don't have a review but I was focused on the actor the whole time and the story. Mostly on the actor. He kept my attention and didn't notice anything else so I guess that's good.

Crits: I didn't notice any actor:names credits in the first page of the thread. I thought your actors did a great job. So, who are they?

Chris Messineo
07-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Hey Chris. I don't have a review but I was focused on the actor the whole time and the story. Mostly on the actor. He kept my attention and didn't notice anything else so I guess that's good.

Crits: I didn't notice any actor:names credits in the first page of the thread. I thought your actors did a great job. So, who are they?

Thanks a lot - I'll let the actors know you liked them. They are:

Jack - Jerry Broome
Tommy - Kevin Bohl
The Man - Frank Briamonte

ashpatel
07-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Great work on the edit, Chris. The vivid colors, especially the green, made scenes look amazing. And the score just flowed so well with the film. It was a great experience working with you again.

ashpatel
07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Would have been nice to get a shot of that crane. And some more ducks!

Charli
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
First thought too was "Mice and Men" which is a compliment to this short. The chemistry between the two actors, STELLAR BABY! God I've been waiting to see a solid interaction between actors and here you brung it! The setting was L-U-S-H lovely.

While the running/cop could be reworked, it still worked. The first close-ups were 'exactly' where they needed to be. I said to myself, "Finally, someone knows when to close-up at the right moment!" I love the "We're the bad guys" and the angle you filmed the character from the back as he gave Tommy assurance it's was okay.

I wish you had smoke/fire when the guns went off. That seemed made-up sound effects so it didn't look real. A little more blood on the Jack would have been in order. The crying was not quite as overdone I think as before stated.

This is what I'm talking about. Good story. Good direction. Good settings. Chris - in a word, YAHTZEE!

Chris Messineo
07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
First thought too was "Mice and Men" which is a compliment to this short. The chemistry between the two actors, STELLAR BABY! God I've been waiting to see a solid interaction between actors and here you brung it! The setting was L-U-S-H lovely.

While the running/cop could be reworked, it still worked. The first close-ups were 'exactly' where they needed to be. I said to myself, "Finally, someone knows when to close-up at the right moment!" I love the "We're the bad guys" and the angle you filmed the character from the back as he gave Tommy assurance it's was okay.

I wish you had smoke/fire when the guns went off. That seemed made-up sound effects so it didn't look real. A little more blood on the Jack would have been in order. The crying was not quite as overdone I think as before stated.

This is what I'm talking about. Good story. Good direction. Good settings. Chris - in a word, YAHTZEE!

I love Yahtzee! Thanks for the tremendous review - it means a lot to me.

pauly_the_hitman
07-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey man great film. I loved the cinematography. Cool story. It did remind me more of Sling-blade then Mice And Men. But I did enjoy the performances and the locations far better then the story itself. Nice job one of my favorites this round. =)

Chris Messineo
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey man great film. I loved the cinematography. Cool story. It did remind me more of Sling-blade then Mice And Men. But I did enjoy the performances and the locations far better then the story itself. Nice job one of my favorites this round. =)

Thanks a lot.

I love "Sling-Blade" and "Of Mice and Men", so if reminded you of those - that's awesome!

Matt Harris
07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Well deserved Chris!

Hawk Teflon
07-20-2011, 11:12 AM
No surprise here. Congratulations!

Chris Messineo
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Well deserved Chris!

No surprise here. Congratulations!

Thanks guys. Congrats to you both too!

Marlon Ladd
07-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree! No surprise. Good job, Chris!

Matthew B
07-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Good job. No surprises here.

Chris Messineo
07-21-2011, 06:08 AM
I agree! No surprise. Good job, Chris!

Good job. No surprises here.

Thanks a lot. Congratulations to you two too!

Anthony Todaro
07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I can't believe you went full r****d, but you did. Steinbeck's ears are ringing. I like the two guys by the river performances. The cry was too much. The dual shooting was hard for me to buy into and no backup also would be unlikely. All that could be done by adding so I won't even knock you for it, just pointing it out. This looked pretty and was cut well. Besides the cry, which could just be the volume or length, that dude really did a good job. This shows what a competent crew is capable of.

Chris Messineo
07-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I can't believe you went full r****d, but you did. Steinbeck's ears are ringing. I like the two guys by the river performances. The cry was too much. The dual shooting was hard for me to buy into and no backup also would be unlikely. All that could be done by adding so I won't even knock you for it, just pointing it out. This looked pretty and was cut well. Besides the cry, which could just be the volume or length, that dude really did a good job. This shows what a competent crew is capable of.

Thanks for the review.

We talked a lot about Tommy and who he is - I think he's just a little slow - a child in a man's body.

I'm glad you liked the film and I'll pass along your compliments to the crew.

J.R. Hudson
07-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Chris

I loved it.

I was most impressed with your shots. (Visual Language, you know I am a junkie.)

This was my pick this go around. I love the boat in the end going into the little dead end eddy. Nice touch. Very impressed.

Chris Messineo
07-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Chris

I loved it.

I was most impressed with your shots. (Visual Language, you know I am a junkie.)

This was my pick this go around. I love the boat in the end going into the little dead end eddy. Nice touch. Very impressed.

Thank you so much. That means the world to me.

I'm a junkie for that stuff too. I used to love reading your blog and your visual scene breakdowns.

As I mentioned earlier, that last shot was in my brain for a long time and it actually ended up being much harder to shoot than I imagined. Water is always tricky, but what made it crazy is that we were using real hundreds (the prop money just looked too fake). If you look carefully, at the end, you can see one of the hundreds gets sucked down into this vortex under the boat. It took us a while to actually find it after the shot was over - it was almost the most expensive shot I ever did. :)

Anyway, thanks again - I'm so happy that you liked it.

Noel Evans
07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Ok finally getting around.

Chris, your team did a great job again. I thought this was better than the last entry so improvement from the team is great.

The pacing was well controlled. There were some mismatches shot to shot in the grade and some overall sound issues. On sound, I, for the times it was hot, thought the words were unnecessarily loud and the grief at the end could have been sold better without the screams.

I agree with John, lots to like about the way you unfolded the story. I liked how you showed us the downed cop and held momentarily to reveal the dead brother. I guess at the end of the day for me, the brother is a criminal, I just dont buy him taking his brother out on a ransom deal and I guess that was the fall down on story IMO. The criminal brother played his part well, for the most part the special needs brother wasnt quite there, but it must be extremely hard to pull off and I almost believe you need someone of Sean Penn calibre to do so.

A few nitpicks. Great to see the team growing.

Chris Messineo
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok finally getting around.

Chris, your team did a great job again. I thought this was better than the last entry so improvement from the team is great.

The pacing was well controlled. There were some mismatches shot to shot in the grade and some overall sound issues. On sound, I, for the times it was hot, thought the words were unnecessarily loud and the grief at the end could have been sold better without the screams.

I agree with John, lots to like about the way you unfolded the story. I liked how you showed us the downed cop and held momentarily to reveal the dead brother. I guess at the end of the day for me, the brother is a criminal, I just dont buy him taking his brother out on a ransom deal and I guess that was the fall down on story IMO. The criminal brother played his part well, for the most part the special needs brother wasnt quite there, but it must be extremely hard to pull off and I almost believe you need someone of Sean Penn calibre to do so.

A few nitpicks. Great to see the team growing.

Thanks for the detailed review.

I agree about the lighting and the sound. The sound is easy to fix, but that damn sun and clouds won't stay in place. :)

I'm glad you liked it and that you think we're improving. I can't ask for more than that.

pixelated
07-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Your entry has garnered numerous excellent reviews listing many areas which could be improved, many of which I agree with, a few I don't, and a couple ~ ~ ~.

I just wanted to chime in and say NONE of these were enough to take me out of the story - even for a second. The acting (and therefore directing) was just excellent. ALL of the technical aspects, while perhaps not absolute perfection, were sufficiently professional to enable the telling without distraction. I consider this a major feat of craft that even the greats have been known to blow. My humble thanks, congratulations and best wishes to everyone involved on an outstanding entry.

Chris Messineo
07-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Your entry has garnered numerous excellent reviews listing many areas which could be improved, many of which I agree with, a few I don't, and a couple ~ ~ ~.

I just wanted to chime in and say NONE of these were enough to take me out of the story - even for a second. The acting (and therefore directing) was just excellent. ALL of the technical aspects, while perhaps not absolute perfection, were sufficiently professional to enable the telling without distraction. I consider this a major feat of craft that even the greats have been known to blow. My humble thanks, congratulations and best wishes to everyone involved on an outstanding entry.

Thank you so much for your wonderful and thoughtful review.

I really do appreciate all the honest critiques - I know we still have lots to learn and improve upon.

I'm really touched that even with the flaws you liked it so much.

Meanwhile, since the contest is almost over, below is a link to our script in case anyone wants to check it out and see how it compares to the finished film:

http://www.njfilmschool.com/scripts/the%20water's%20edge.pdf

Matt Harris
07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Congrats Chris to you and your students, well deserved!

Hawk Teflon
07-26-2011, 03:55 PM
What?! First?! I can't believe it!

/sarcasm.

No surprise here, Chris! Congrats to you and your crew! I'd better see you next time!

AJ Brooks
07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Woohoo! Congrats Chris!

I have to be honest and say that I did not see the beauty of this film the first time I watched it.

THANKFULLY, I watched it again and saw the error of my thinking.

Great story and beautifully told. The final shot is just beautiful.

Good job and a very well deserved win!

Matthew B
07-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Congratulations to you and your team Chris.

Chris Messineo
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Congrats Chris to you and your students, well deserved!

Thank you so much.

What?! First?! I can't believe it!

/sarcasm.

No surprise here, Chris! Congrats to you and your crew! I'd better see you next time!

Thanks - we'll definitely be back.

Woohoo! Congrats Chris!

I have to be honest and say that I did not see the beauty of this film the first time I watched it.

THANKFULLY, I watched it again and saw the error of my thinking.

Great story and beautifully told. The final shot is just beautiful.

Good job and a very well deserved win!

Thank you so much for your kind words and for giving our film a second look.

Congratulations to you and your team Chris.

Thanks a lot. I just emailed the cast and crew - they are going to be ecstatic!

ChrisHurn
07-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Congratulations, Chris! I am very pleased to have been involved in the project. Great news!

Marlon Ladd
07-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Great job, Chris!! Nobody deserves it more. Excellent film, man. Excellent!

Chris Messineo
07-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Congratulations, Chris! I am very pleased to have been involved in the project. Great news!

Chris it was awesome working with you. Thanks for the amazing score!

Great job, Chris!! Nobody deserves it more. Excellent film, man. Excellent!

Thanks, man. I'm really proud of the film and everyone involved. I can't wait to learn what the next fest is and tackle it with my film class this Fall.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Congrats on the win, Chris. You and your students did a great job.

Chris Messineo
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Congrats on the win, Chris. You and your students did a great job.

Thanks - it was so much fun to tell my students about the win - they are really excited and looking forward to the next challenge.

Charli
07-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Congrats on the win Chris. It was spot on!

Chris Messineo
07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Congrats on the win Chris. It was spot on!

Thanks, Charli!