PDA

View Full Version : Why am I so obsessed with directing?

jpbankesmercer
04-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Why am I so obsessed with directing? I知 in my fifth year now, six before that acting. As soon as I latched onto directing it started to consume my life. I can稚 watch anything without thinking where the line is, or admiring that long handheld sequence, (must have been hard to block), no he cut too soon to the close-up and when I知 not critiquing others work I知 bashing my head against the wall chanting:- Magic Bullet, aspect ratios, too much gain, inserts, not enough gain, subtext, cutaways, title manager no Photoshop, Actors, room tone, tungsten, f5, input one on, no f6, focal length, crushing my blacks, DP's, defusing my whites, crossing the line (only if physically), bubbling, billying, dollying, trollying and I really should get that mini jib!
Obviously no-one knows how bad I really am, anyone else got a problem??
J.P.

jpbankesmercer
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
And yes I do have a girlfriend.

drummerboy678
04-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I woudn't say I'm that bad at all...

Haha, but I cant watch a movie, without thinking about the image 180 degrees around what we're seeing, and picturing the crew, director, and DP getting each shot... Being an editor, I often notice different techniques and mistakes. Then again, I notice the same mistakes watching my own work...

It's a curse, but its fun :)

evinsky
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
I just have problems with authority. I used to DP but I always thought I could block the scene better or push the actors further than the guys I shot for. Now I'm trying to prove I can. It's going good but it takes time to learn what's really possible with all the comprimises one makes to bring a show in on budget and still make it good. I think Robert Rodriguez has the best philosiphy about this. Do as much yourself as you can and try to solve your problems creatively instead of throwing money at them.

jpbankesmercer
04-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I just have problems with authority. I used to DP but I always thought I could block the scene better or push the actors further than the guys I shot for. Now I'm trying to prove I can. It's going good but it takes time to learn what's really possible with all the comprimises one makes to bring a show in on budget and still make it good. I think Robert Rodriguez has the best philosiphy about this. Do as much yourself as you can and try to solve your problems creatively instead of throwing money at them.
Defo. I love Rodriquez. Likes to shoot himself/ edit. All for HD. gets out and makes movies. Top bloke.

Ernest_Acosta
05-05-2005, 08:40 AM
Make move, make movies, make movies. It will satisfy your compulsion.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Why am I so obsessed with directing?
because you're aces at it.

HorseFilms
10-26-2006, 11:43 AM
because you're aces at it.

Agreed.

I just kind of point actors in a direction and let them do their thing. There's a lot I need to work on as a director. I'm more of a DP at heart (and I have a long way to go with that, too).:)

Brandon Rice
10-26-2006, 11:47 AM
I love it! Directing is something that is an adrenaline rush!

krish
10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Actually, I am very new to the game and started getting into basics only about 8 months ago but I am already obsessing about things day and night driving everybody around me crazy. sometimes I think, if the start is like this what will happen to me in five to 10 years?

oh well, I just read some quotes like the following and strangly feel happy.

"Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful."

Cheers mate.

Loki
10-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Magic Bullet, aspect ratios, too much gain, inserts, not enough gain, subtext, cutaways, title manager no Photoshop, room tone, tungsten, f5, input one on, no f6, focal length, crushing my blacks

those have really nothing to do with directing.

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah those choices are usually left up to the caterer.

They're aces with things like an actor's subtext.

jpeck
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah those choices are usually left up to the caterer.

They're aces with things like an actor's subtext.

:grin:

jpbankesmercer
11-01-2006, 04:57 AM

They do if your a one man band.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Even if you are not, they all still do.
Whether you are responding to some cool color correction that your editor or color timer came up with on their own, that you would have never thought of in the first place, and saying "wow, that looks great let's go with that" (or the contrary), whether you are dictating precisely what the CC should look like, or whether you are finding a collaborative middle, Color Grading, Editing, and the rest of the list all have to do with directing because the director's job has to do with translating the screenplay into the visual medium and if you aren't taking strategic advantage of the editing, cinematographt, acting and various details to best realize that story and just leaving that up to others ... then why have a director. Just get an acting coach and a DP and call it a day.

From wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directing
"film director - the person responsible for orchestrating the artistic and dramatic aspects of a film."

"A film director is a person who directs the making of a film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_director#_note-0) Generally, a film director controls a film's artistic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic) and dramatic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramatic) aspects, and visualizes the script (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script) while guiding the technical crew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_crew) and actors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actors) in the fulfillment of that vision. It is the director's sense of drama, along with the creative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative)screenplay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenplay) into a well-made motion picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_picture)"
visualization of the script, that transforms a screenplay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenplay) into a well-made motion picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_picture).

dustino
11-01-2006, 07:24 AM
well said, dr. jack, and said for the right reasons. encouragement is so much more impressive than trolling.

Loki
11-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Magic Bullet, aspect ratios, too much gain, inserts, not enough gain, subtext, cutaways, title manager no Photoshop, room tone, tungsten, f5, input one on, no f6, focal length, crushing my blacks

Those are tools. Not directorial Choices.

Means to an end. They aren't choices in and of themselves.

I am no stranger to directing and don't need a lecture on what a director does. I consider all parts of filmmaking part of the directorial process, whether it is the look of my work, or how a the scounscape works with the film etc.. part of my job as a director.

Those are tools. Calling me a troll doesn't change my view on the set of tools listed. If anyone noticed, I did remove 'actors' from that list to be clear.

But I will get back to trolling I guess.

Aside: I very much enjoyed your entry in the horrorfest Jack. Head and shoulders above much of the dreck I saw.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I didn't think you were trolling and I meant to chime in and say so, that you must have been in a hurry or we misunderstood you, as I know you are a good guy and go way back here, but I just got distracted, with emails and editing and what not, sorry. :beer:

It did seem a littke like you were just dropping by to say a guy that does know what he's talking about (j.P.) and was just sharing his excitement for it, did NOT in fact know what he was talking about. But as you concede that those are tools used in areas that the director oversees, I guess you were just raising a semantic issue, I think. But it was a confusing post IMHO, I think since you said "those really have nothing to do with directing"and not that they were tools as opposed to choices.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-01-2006, 08:12 PM
...Aside: I very much enjoyed your entry in the horrorfest Jack. Head and shoulders above much of the dreck I saw.
thanks, I appreciate that coming from you.

imageonepictures
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Why am I so obsessed with directing? I知 in my fifth year now, six before that acting. As soon as I latched onto directing it started to consume my life. I can稚 watch anything without thinking where the line is, or admiring that long handheld sequence, (must have been hard to block), no he cut too soon to the close-up and when I知 not critiquing others work I知 bashing my head against the wall chanting:- Magic Bullet, aspect ratios, too much gain, inserts, not enough gain, subtext, cutaways, title manager no Photoshop, Actors, room tone, tungsten, f5, input one on, no f6, focal length, crushing my blacks, DP's, defusing my whites, crossing the line (only if physically), bubbling, billying, dollying, trollying and I really should get that mini jib!
J.P.
Because you are:)

imageonepictures
11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
J.P.
Hey,

Here is my two cents on this. I don't think I am obsessed with directing but my one true love is storytelling. Seeing the final end product. I get excited when actors take an interest in my work.

It is very flattering and nice all at the same time.

Chris

jpbankesmercer
11-02-2006, 03:41 AM
Aesthetic choice, directing it's all the same to me. You see I've also edit my own stuff, which I see as another extension of my directing. Of course it's all semantics. Loki try not to be soo hot-headed my original message was an innocent one. To be honest I'm getting pretty sick of everyone bashing anything that's being said around here. We all share the same passion to be creative. I don't want to be defending a message I wrote months ago. I've paid my dues in this industry, you can tell that by looking at my reel. Let’s have a bit of respect for one another, like I said my original message was pure innocent excitement something this board seems to be crushing recently. Yeah I know it’s an industry built on rejection, blah, blah, blah. We are all on the same journey, it’s longer than I ever imagined and my feet hurt.
One love chaps, one love.
J.P.

thartley
11-02-2006, 04:33 AM
JP, you are definitely not alone. :) Most of my family and friends wont even go to the movies with me anymore. :)

VersuS
11-02-2006, 07:01 AM
I love storytelling as well. While writting my latest script I couldnt help but feel enormous joy of the procedure. I was writting and at the same time making all the pictures in my head, making adjustments, setting up the locations, all in my head. I love writting down the shots and how I picture the camera movement, the angles etc.
As for the actual directing, it only brings me satisfaction when I start editing and realise if things went well while shooting or not. Sometimes I find myself with footage so well shot that I realise how well I did it and also how little I knew at the moment of shooting but left it all to my instinct. I believe I have a good eye for this but havent been able to make the transition from pictures in my head to the on-screen footage.
Hope it wont take long.

Loki
11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
wordplay is tricky at times.

but yes, my original posting was simply just meant as an off the top of my head comment. Not a jab at the OP.

peas.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
is OT internet for "Originator of Thread"?

just trying to stay up on the lingo

don't "pwn" me for asking :cheesy:

Jared Meyer
11-02-2006, 10:30 PM
As far as I know...in "forumspeak," OT means "off-topic" and OP refers to the "original poster."

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-02-2006, 10:32 PM
ah ok, I got the gist I just wanted to edumacate myself ... sheesh loki is gonn think we are the semantics police, lol.

Billy Pilgrim
11-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I've always done my own cinematography, editing, etc because I feel they're all extensions of directing. I'm obsessed int he same way the original poster is. I don't know how I feel about it. I think if you're driven to be a filmmaker, and you really, really want it like I do, it's important to be obsessed for a while. It's not a bad thing to watch a film and anylize how they do things, it's more education.

kimko
11-03-2006, 12:25 AM
And yes I do have a girlfriend.you should let her tie you up sometime...and let her have the remote CONTROL! .............:Drogar-Love(DBG):

JitCam
11-04-2006, 05:45 AM
J.P.
well, its because who you are.. don't bother questioning it.. just take advantage of that drive to do your best in what u like to do..

rsbush
11-04-2006, 06:44 AM
"Show me a fanatic and I'll show you a success." - Sidney Kay

Directed By Cire
11-06-2006, 03:38 AM
I finally found a place where people understand my lifestyle.

I get high only on Directing, I can't wait until I can put together the next shoot day!

Cire

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
And you like making Horror fest shorts that leave people permanently damaged.
I'll be sending you my therapy bills, Cire. :)