PDA

View Full Version : Lenses?

flashbeast
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Hello,

due to the E-mount of the FS100 there's of course a bunch of lenses possible. So no big deal - just put an adapter on it and just use the lenses you've got. But that also leads to some questions:

What if there are no lenses yet?
What are your suggestions to get a decent set of lenses?
What if budget dictates to not use Zeiss lenses?
Is the A-Mount adapter worthwhile? How about manual focusing (turning angle)?
Does it make sense to go for Zooms like 16-35 + 24-70 instead of Primes (IQ-Wise)?

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome :)

Regards,
flashbeast

Kraut69
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Since about any lens in the world could be used, there could be a lot of replies. Its all about budget. Maybe it would be a good idea to start separate threads by price category: e.g. BEST LENSES FOR Less than $500, BEST LENSES $500-$1000, Best LENSES $1000-$2000, on up.....

AGMedia
05-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Nikkor AI and AI-S lenses absolutely transformed Canon HDSLR cameras into something amazing. I'd be shocked, shocked, if they didn't do something similar on this FS100. This is coming from a guy who owns an entire set of Zeiss ZF primes -- all of which sit in a drawer when I'm out filming with the old Nikkors.

The issue is that not all the old Nikkors are created equal, and this is where your research will come in to play. If you poke around hard enough you'll discover all sorts of secrets like the E Series 75-150 (magnificent light weight zoom on par with any top priced Nikkor), the 85mm f/2 AI-S (the sharpest wide open lens ever made), or the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI (the lowest distortion 50mm ever made). On the other side are the lemons, like the 35mm f/1.4 AI-S, the 28mm f/2.8D, etc.

So, if you can't afford Zeiss branded Cosina lenses, consider yourself lucky -- they're the most overrated lenses in the industry. And, if you're up for the research, you can pick up an entire set of magnificent, stunning Nikkor primes for the price of a single Zeiss branded Cosina lens.

flashbeast
05-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Since about any lens in the world could be used, there could be a lot of replies. Its all about budget.

Yeah that was to be estimated ;) But on the other hand there might be a way crossing out lenses which are...let's say less recommandable. For example: i use Canon FD lenses. While they produce a really good IQ per se, there is the downside that they breath significantly. And another specific question of mine would be: how do Sony Alpha lenses perform? Especially: how does the focus handle? I have only low grade lenses (Tamron, low-end Minolta) so i can't judge about i.e. the Sony 24-70 when it comes to handling (focus ring turning distance) or IQ (breathing) and that like. I guess it's the simplest to adapt theses lenses (iris control via camera, probably electronic foucs control -> for remote focus?) - but is that worth a thougt?

Nikkor AI and AI-S lenses absolutely transformed Canon HDSLR cameras into something amazing.
Old Nikkors are often meantioned, so i guess they might be the most obvious "legacy lenses tip" i guess :)

Big thanks so far!

daihard
05-08-2011, 07:06 AM
I would look at the Legacy lenses. I am lucky my wife shoots with Nikon, and so I have access to a whole range of Nikon lenses.
Although I dont have much experience with Canon lenses with my GH2, I think going with ether mainstream brand will suffice for your "Budget" needs.
I think the primes will fit most of your needs, although a nice 16-35 could be interesting. Sorry my answer is a bit vague.... with that said, invest in Nikon glass :P

Dai-Lon
http://www.dailonweiss.com/
http://www.kristinaweiss.com/Magyar/

Benjus
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
The problem with adapters is that you lost the focus marks, (1 feet can be 1.3). All the adapters I've used have that problem, including some you can not focus to infinity.

daihard
05-08-2011, 01:12 PM
My cheap Fododiox works fine for all the AF Nikkor lenses we have. Yes you do lose the accurate "focal distance". But, I have infinity focus and of course full access to the aperture.
As I dont pay much heed to the focal marks, I cant really comment on that factor.
I guess you could figure out a solution with a rack focus rig.

zeke
05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
So AgMedia, want to sell your overpriced Zeiss lenses at a good price?

earbrain
05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Can anyone suggest a lens for the Sony FS100 that features an extremely wide aperture for night shooting, like the Voigtlander f.095 (which I assume is only for the 4/3 AF100)?

Jason Allen
05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
If cost is your concern and you're buying an FS100, here are a few recommended ways to go for 3rd party glass:
-get a Canon FD to Sony E mount adapter, and get some classic "L" lenses like the 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.2 (not cheap, but 1/3rd or 1/4th of the same glass in the EOS series, but with a more damped focus pull) but you'll have difficulty covering the wide end with FD lenses - the 14mm f/2.8 FD is a very expensive lens even today.

-get M42 mount to Sony E mount adapter and enjoy many classic Zeiss lenses in the normal to telephoto range on the cheap - but again, the wide end of the spectrum will have to be covered by a different lens mount system.

-get a Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter, and get classic Nikon AIS lenses like the 75-150 f/3.5 lens, the venerable 105mm f/2.5, the 35mm f/2, and newer G-series "DX" glass like the 12-24mm f/4 to cover the wide end of the spectrum.

-use existing Sony E mount lenses and converter attachments like the 16mm f/2.8 "E" pancake prime with a VCL-ECU1 wide adapter to retain autofocus and enjoy an equivalent 12mm f/4, or mount the VCL-ECF1 fisheye adapter to get an effective 10mm f/4 fisheye perspective. Currently your on-the-market E mount lens options are pretty limited - 18-55, 18-200, and 16mm f/2.8. There are more coming though...

Mix and match these recommendations, and you can have a pretty solid kit for under $1000. I will be doing the following:
-Nikon F to Sony E adapter (paid $50 for it)
-Tokina 12-24mm f4 for Nikon mount (paid $300 for it)
-Sigma 24mm f/1.8 AFD for Nikon mount (paid $300 for it)
-Nikon 35mm f/2 AFD (paid $250)
-Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 MF for Nikon mount (paid $190 for it)
-Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AIS (paid $80 for it)

That kit right there is 12mm to 105mm coverage (ultra wide to medium telephoto with some redundancy) for $1070.

I'm also rolling with the following from my Nikon SLR kit on my NEX-VG10 currently, and I look forward to putting these on my future FS100:
-Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS
-Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR
-Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AFS VR Micro
-Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-I

xenogears
05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I work in motion graphics, and for me the FS100 has something great, Sony Lenses!, native iris control, Stabilization on some lenses, and autofocus, i gonna take this route with the FS100:
-Sony Alpha LA-EA1 Adapter
-Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
-Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
-Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

And for primes have this Canon FD:
-28mm f2.8
-50mm f1.4
-85mm f1.8

They are not expensive, not Premium but do the job pretty well, sadly the Tokina 16-28mm is not for Sony mount:
Cheers.

cgold
05-12-2011, 06:18 AM
I plan on going the birger route and keeping my canon lenses, my ideal lens set up will be this:

-Sigma 8-16 4.5-5.6 (this is not a fisheye)
-Sigma 18-50 2.8
-Sigma 30mm 1.4
-Sigma 50mm 1.4
-Samyang (Bower, Rokinon, Vivitar, ect.) 85mm 1.4
-Sigma 50-150 2.8
-Canon 18-135 3.5-5.6 IS

Currently I am in the process of selling a Tokina 11-16 2.8 to replace with the 8-16 cause I'm addicted to wide angles and the FS100 is so light sensitive the light loss isn't as big of a deal. Also all of them except the Samyang should work with the electronic follow focus on the birger.

imag
05-12-2011, 06:39 AM
cgold - do you know of any testing with Sigma lenses on the Birger? I am trying to decide which lenses to buy. I'm leaning toward buying the L lenses just to be sure, but it would be nice to know if the Sigmas really do work decently.

cgold
05-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Birger makes a similar mount for RED and it seems most of their lenses work (http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?20467-Results-of-the-Birger-mount-with-my-Sigma-lenses). The only one that didn't work according to that person was a rather old (and not very good) lens. I allready own most of the lenses on that list and use them with my 7D, so I'm gonna go that route rather then selling all my lenses and rebuying them for Sony. Sigma reverse engineers the lens protocol (as I assume Birger must do as well) so the chances of odd bugs is certainly higher then with Canon L lenses.

Perhaps in a few months I will be able to report back to you definitively.

JAWflyer3
05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Lenses that I think are worth getting that i've used or had experience with:

Canon 85 1.8 - fantastic, often overlooked lens
Nikon 35 f2 ai-s -suppper sharp, man
Canon 70-200 L's -no matter which one you chose, you're getting a great zoom
Canon 24-105 4L -My standard lens for video and photography. Great quality, and IS is superb!
Samyung 14 2.8 -Very wide, very nice lens
Tokina 11-16 2.8 -not the only one that can vouch for this lens...

zeke
05-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I plan on going the birger route and keeping my canon lenses, my ideal lens set up will be this:

-Sigma 8-16 4.5-5.6 (this is not a fisheye)
-Sigma 18-50 2.8
-Sigma 30mm 1.4
-Sigma 50mm 1.4
-Samyang (Bower, Rokinon, Vivitar, ect.) 85mm 1.4
-Sigma 50-150 2.8
-Canon 18-135 3.5-5.6 IS

Currently I am in the process of selling a Tokina 11-16 2.8 to replace with the 8-16 cause I'm addicted to wide angles and the FS100 is so light sensitive the light loss isn't as big of a deal. Also all of them except the Samyang should work with the electronic follow focus on the birger.
Darn, I wiish you had posted this last week. I just picked up a Tamron 10-24mm because Tokina's are hard to find locally.

Rick Burnett
05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I use the Sigma primes (30, 50) and the Bower prime (85) but I've not been happy with the Sigma zooms. Are you really happy with the 8-16 and 18-50? I had the Sigma 10-20 and sold it and replaced it with the Tokina 11-16 which was FAR superior. I also had a zoom up to 300mm (Sigma) and it just did not work well for me.

Their primes have been amazing to me, but I just still haven't found a zoom that worked that great to me. Maybe I was using older models and they've fixed some of the mechanics.

avro
05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
If cost is your concern and you're buying an FS100, here are a few recommended ways to go for 3rd party glass:
-get a Canon FD to Sony E mount adapter, and get some classic "L" lenses like the 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.2 (not cheap, but 1/3rd or 1/4th of the same glass in the EOS series, but with a more damped focus pull) but you'll have difficulty covering the wide end with FD lenses - the 14mm f/2.8 FD is a very expensive lens even today.

-get M42 mount to Sony E mount adapter and enjoy many classic Zeiss lenses in the normal to telephoto range on the cheap - but again, the wide end of the spectrum will have to be covered by a different lens mount system.

-get a Nikon F to Sony E mount adapter, and get classic Nikon AIS lenses like the 75-150 f/3.5 lens, the venerable 105mm f/2.5, the 35mm f/2, and newer G-series "DX" glass like the 12-24mm f/4 to cover the wide end of the spectrum.

-use existing Sony E mount lenses and converter attachments like the 16mm f/2.8 "E" pancake prime with a VCL-ECU1 wide adapter to retain autofocus and enjoy an equivalent 12mm f/4, or mount the VCL-ECF1 fisheye adapter to get an effective 10mm f/4 fisheye perspective. Currently your on-the-market E mount lens options are pretty limited - 18-55, 18-200, and 16mm f/2.8. There are more coming though...

Mix and match these recommendations, and you can have a pretty solid kit for under $1000. I will be doing the following:
-Nikon F to Sony E adapter (paid $50 for it)
-Tokina 12-24mm f4 for Nikon mount (paid $300 for it)
-Sigma 24mm f/1.8 AFD for Nikon mount (paid $300 for it)
-Nikon 35mm f/2 AFD (paid $250)
-Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 MF for Nikon mount (paid $190 for it)
-Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AIS (paid $80 for it)

That kit right there is 12mm to 105mm coverage (ultra wide to medium telephoto with some redundancy) for $1070.

I'm also rolling with the following from my Nikon SLR kit on my NEX-VG10 currently, and I look forward to putting these on my future FS100:
-Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AFS
-Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR
-Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AFS VR Micro
-Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-I

Get all those lenses if you want to lose hair or just get Nikon AIS Manual ones OR better still, just built it on sound foundation for years to come:
http://www.red.com/store/lenses/product/red-pro-zoom-17-50mm-t29-i
http://www.ducloslenses.com/Duclos_Lenses/PL116.html

cgold
05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
The 18-50 isn't very good. But I got it for very cheap used, if I was buying again I'd probobaly go for the Tamron, or the newer (and more expensive) Sigma 17-50 OS which according to reviews is a lot better. They've released updated versions of a number of their zooms in the past couple years which I believe are generally a good bit better then their older ones.

I don't own the Sigma 8-16 (yet) because I have to sell my Tokina first, I can't justify owning two ultrawides. But the consensus on the web (for still use) seems to be very positive. It seems to have about the same barrel distortion at 8mm as the tokina at 11mm.

This has good comparisons of the two, the FOV change from 8 to 11 is rather large:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-8-16mm-f-4.5-5.6-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-8-16mm-f-4.5-5.6-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx)

http://www.mylensdb.com/sigma-8-16mm-f4-5-5-6-dc-hsm/

Rick Burnett
05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info on the 8-16, I didn't know about this lens. That's a good find. It would be really good for outdoor use when I want some CRAZY wide shots. The one thing I LOVE about the 11-16 is the speed. It's fast and I use that to my advantage. :)

imag
05-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the thread link. I have to say, it really isn't that inspiring about Birger or the Sigma compatibility.

I think I'm going to go for the following:

1. Canon 16-35mm f2.8 L
2. Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 (no Birger control, but worth it for the image)
3. Canon 70-200mm f4L

That 8-16 IS cool. Sometime down the road, perhaps...

flashbeast
05-13-2011, 02:56 AM
Wow thanks for the many recommandations :)

What i'm wondering about (no, not really i guess^^) is that many ppl bet on the birger adapter, while there is the LA-EA1 out there. Are the Alpha lenses just:
- too expensive
- not good enough against Canon EF Lenses IQ-wise
- not good enough handling-wise (low focus ring turning angle)
- or just unsure because of dedicating these lenses to the FS100 (or Alpha-DSLR) 'cause they aren't adaptable?

So...while there are a) expensive film camera lenses out there (Zeiss CP & above), there are obviously also many capable legacy lenses. But what about Alpha* lenses? So i wouldn't use my Tamron 28-75 because of it's small focus ring turning angle (AF is seldom an option for me)...

(*and corresponding third party lenses with that mount)

Hidef1080
05-13-2011, 05:15 AM
I'll stay with the Alpha lenses only because I already have a few for my 850.
They make some very good lenses.

However my plan is to use what I have right now and then see what E-Mount lenses are coming out later this year.
I would rather not use an adapter if I could avoid it.

Check out this site if you have not already.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lens-with-Camera/Compare

You can get an idea on how lenses compare.

nyvz
05-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Wow thanks for the many recommandations :)

What i'm wondering about (no, not really i guess^^) is that many ppl bet on the birger adapter, while there is the LA-EA1 out there. Are the Alpha lenses just:
- too expensive
- not good enough against Canon EF Lenses IQ-wise
- not good enough handling-wise (low focus ring turning angle)
- or just unsure because of dedicating these lenses to the FS100 (or Alpha-DSLR) 'cause they aren't adaptable?

So...while there are a) expensive film camera lenses out there (Zeiss CP & above), there are obviously also many capable legacy lenses. But what about Alpha* lenses? So i wouldn't use my Tamron 28-75 because of it's small focus ring turning angle (AF is seldom an option for me)...

(*and corresponding third party lenses with that mount)

Birger has the potential to work with a wireless followfocus and Iris control. This is a huge deal. Two axis wireless fiz controls and motors are incredibly expensive and take a lot of work to set up their motors, receivers etc.

Rick Burnett
05-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Pertaining to your question on alpha lenses, it is because I already own a bunch of EOS glass. I also have a 7D I use as a stills camera so I find it really nice to have to keep around only one set of lenses.

dop16mm
05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Anyone know if alpha adapted lenses support AF, or LANC focus control, that would be viable now until there are more options in E-mount.

Hidef1080
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Anyone know if alpha adapted lenses support AF, or LANC focus control, that would be viable now until there are more options in E-mount.

As I understand it they support auto-focus but it's slow.

flashbeast
05-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Birger has the potential to work with a wireless followfocus and Iris control. This is a huge deal. Two axis wireless fiz controls and motors are incredibly expensive and take a lot of work to set up their motors, receivers etc.
What i'm perplexed about is that with the existing Alpha-Adapter - which can't be more compatible i guess since it's directly from Sony - there is (afaik at least) no possibility to do so with Alpha lenses...i'm curious if that could be an addon to the existing adapter, dunno how to manage. Hopefully there will be mods available or so, 'cause the whole Canon Birger thing is somehow upside down imho...

As i've read it's limited to Sony lenses with SAM/SSM drive, so even HSM or the like don't work. And of course the slowish thing which Hidef mentioned; That's a shame imho, especially for such expensive lenses with SSM...
But then again would be interesting if there is someone working on a mod, but i guess that's just too complex for little effort

imag
05-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm buying new glass for this camera. My reasons for not going with Alpha:

- Slow focus (mentioned)
- No Birger Mount (mentioned) - the Birger is the same price as a decent mechanical follow focus - and functionality and workflow are much better, if it works.
- Fewer lenses to choose from (compared to Nikon or Canon)
- A-Mount is a dead-end format - I doubt that any spectacular new cameras will use A Mount. Adapters will be less plentiful, less available, and generally slower to get to market. Even Sony is abandoning it in the long term. EF lenses will be native on the 5D3 and likely whatever full frame video camera Canon comes out with. Adapters will be plentiful. The lenses will be supported.

My $0.02.

dop16mm
05-14-2011, 11:10 AM
In situations where super shallow dof are not required, the ridiculous low light sensitivity should make the kit zoom usable in most situations. Go to manual primes when you want more finesse. This seems squarely aimed at the wedding market, to get usable images in a dark reception hall. f5.6 is only 2 stops from 2.8, 4 stops from 1.4. The 30db gain is what 5 or 6 stops maybe more above the base stop which is already 800, and while not noise free, it is the cleanest low light gain I've ever seen, and way beyond the typical expectations of that market. I'm confident that sony has the influence to get appropriate lenses made for this camera, enough to wait for it rather than adapting the current tamrons or whatever. If you do 'run and gun' or event stuff get the kit lens and the 16mm pancake now and go with your choice manual primes for controlled stuff.

imag
05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
My issue with the kit lens is that everything I've seen shot with it looks substantially worse than all the other footage. I like the range of it and the cost, but I finally just couldn't rationalize paying for it. No one who has used it seems to recommend it either, which says something.

I totally agree with you about the speed of the lens. I just think the image quality looks to be lacking. Of course, CP2s would make almost every camera look better...

FelixGER
05-14-2011, 05:49 PM
It would be great if I could use my M4/3 Lenses on the FS100. The 14-140 is extremely sharp on the whole range!

Ryan Patrick O'Hara
05-14-2011, 11:17 PM
The problem with adapters is that you lost the focus marks, (1 feet can be 1.3). All the adapters I've used have that problem, including some you can not focus to infinity.

Get better adapters, or adjust them with shims, or if they have some sort of adjustable collar. As long as the lenses you are using are designed to have a longer flange distance than what you are putting them on, you are fine. The E-mount is like 18mm or something really shallow, while PL mount, (what i use) is around 52mm, meaning there is lots of room for an adapter to do it's thing (which is to simply make up the 34mm of extra space needed between the lens flange and the sensor.

Sounds like your adapters have just not been accurate.

ps: I have a E-mount to PL adapter, so I'm super ready to do some tests. :)

JMartin
05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
It would be great if I could use my M4/3 Lenses on the FS100. The 14-140 is extremely sharp on the whole range!

+1

I'd love to get my M4/3 Voigtlander 25mm on there, vignetting and all.

There are a few adapters on eBay, but I'm not sure of their quality. Now, if only MTF Services was to make one...

olindacat
05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
I was planning on buying the kit lens because it was made for the camera and as mentioned earlier has AF, iris, etc. I have an 17-55Dx 2.8 that I am hoping will work well given the image circle should suffice (right?).

Barry_Green
05-19-2011, 04:12 PM
An APS-C lens will very likely cover the FS100 sensor. A specific m4/3 lens won't necessarily cover the FS100 sensor.

olindacat
05-19-2011, 06:16 PM

olindacat
05-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Has anyone here ever adapted large format lenses? My Schneiders and Nikkors are gathering dust now that my partner and I closed down our state's only sheet-film processing lab last year. Be awesome to put that kind of glass onto a Super 35MM FS!

nyvz
05-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Has anyone here ever adapted large format lenses?

Aren't those lenses really slow? Plus they might not be designed for the finer detail of a smaller imaging frame. Sharpness tolerances are probably a bit more relaxed for large format with its huge imaging area.

olindacat
05-21-2011, 09:00 PM
They are. 5.6 most of them. Not like the 2.8s or 1.4s for sure. Just wondered if they were usable as we stopped running sheet film a year ago and the glass is gathering dust.

Kraut69
05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I noticed the popular-for-Canon DSLR's Samyang 8mm Fisheye is coming out now with the E-mount. (or is out now, not sure it's in the stores, it hadn't made it to EBAY yet)

avro
05-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Get better adapters, or adjust them with shims, or if they have some sort of adjustable collar. As long as the lenses you are using are designed to have a longer flange distance than what you are putting them on, you are fine. The E-mount is like 18mm or something really shallow, while PL mount, (what i use) is around 52mm, meaning there is lots of room for an adapter to do it's thing (which is to simply make up the 34mm of extra space needed between the lens flange and the sensor.

Ryan,
what E-mount to PL do you have?
MTF??

Benjus
05-22-2011, 08:38 PM

Thank you Ryan, could be cool if you can do a test with the focus marks. I see this problem not only in my cheap adapter (fd to m4/3) but in a Nikon F to PL adapter with a red camera.

allantab
06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi all. Outside of older lenses like Canon FD, Nikon AI, AI-S, older AF-D, and fully manual lenses like Samyang/Bower/Vivtars, how are you able to change the aperture on lenses (nikon, canon, etc) that do not have aperture rings? I'm looking at some Tokinas like the 11-16mm and 12-24mm (nikon mount), and they don't have an aperture ring. I saw some posts regarding the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, or tamron 17-50mm (not sure of mount), but would like one of those mid-range f/2.8 zooms with an aperture ring (besides primes).

Thankks

FelixGER
06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
you can change aperture on modern nikon lenses and third party nikon mounts like tamrons via an adapter but you will not know the exact F-Stop

Lee Saxon
06-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Nikon AI-s manual focus primes are the way to go.

Cheaper, lighter, and sharper than the alternatives.

allantab
06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Can you recommend any specific nikon adapter that allows you to change the aperture on lenses with no aperture ring? thanks

alarch
06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Hello,
On my 5D when I shoot a fiction I usually go for Zeiss with contax mount or Pentax Takumar on m42 mount they are great, fast for shallow dof, very suficient for most indie movies.
they look poor but I love the image.
i'll use them on my fs100 but I need to find the same wider angle lenses and that's going to be difficult.

My question is for documentary style shooting I really want a large zoom with stabilization and if possible autofocus
I thaught on going for the sel 18200 but I'm not so sure on the quallity.
On my 5D I use my 24-105 IS which was always very very handy and the shallow DOF at F4 was good enaugh specially if I shoot spontanuously moving subjects

I don't know much on nykon lenses but today it seems the best solution
I understand that the Nikon G series lenses can be used on the fs100 and we can change aperture with this kind of adapter :
http://cgi.ebay.ph/Nikon-AI-AF-S-G-Lens-Sony-NEX-3-NEX5-E-Mount-Adapter-/220713892248?pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item336392b998#ht_2893wt_905
or this one : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kipon-Nikon-G-lens-Sony-E-mount-adapter-NEX-5-NEX-3-/220662524816

Doing some research I found that the Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR ED-IF AF-S DX S would be a good Idea
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/377-nikkor_1685_3556vr

plus in the near future the
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Autofocus is not possible but the peacking is said to be great on the fs100 (I've never thaught peacking was great on other cams)

Am I technically going wrond somewhere?
or do you think on price comparison I should stick to the sel 18200 which on paper seems to be great.
I basicaly do documentaries for tv and I really want an IS or VR , Zoom lens.

What do you guys think?
Also I haven't seen that much test of the as100 with the sel 18200 I would like to know how it handles Shallow DOF

Thanks

avro
06-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Have MTF Nikon Adaptor. Works well and is built well. Can change iris on new Nikon lenses.

allantab
06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Avro and Alarch, thanks for the ~$400 USD MTF services recommendation and the ebay $30 and Kipon $90 nikon adapter with control for aperture ring. I also found a Novoflex adapter for around $300 with control for the aperture on lenses that don't have the aperture ring. Alistair Chapman and Philip Bloom have reported that the MTF nikon f-mount to sony e-mount (nex) has worked well.

The cheap $30 ebay adapter and the $80 Kipon are available to control aperture. I have a variety of Nikon and Canon (EF) lenses, but most of them have no aperture ring to control (other than my nikon 50mm f/1.4 af-d (non G or af-s model). Like Alarch, I'd like either a wide angle zoom lens (like a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or 12-24mm f/4 nikon mount), or a mid-range zoom (like a nikon or tamron or sigma or tokina 17-50mm f/2.8) besides using primes. And there are no native NEX e-mount wide-angle or mid-range zooms besides maybe using the Sony alpha mount to e-mount adapter and using some a-mount lenses.

addax
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi everybody.

I was thinking about getting some Zeiss CP.2 lenses, do you know if there's any difference between one with PL mount and the same lense with Nikon-F mount? I was thinking about this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735685-REG/Zeiss_1852_709_Compact_Prime_CP_2_35mm_T2_1.html in order to use it in my Nikon DX DSLR... but I'm not sure if it would be better to get PL (or E mount lenses) for the FS-100. :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Tony Hernandez
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I think all CP 2 are mount interchangeable. This means that you can buy lets say the PL version, and buy the --to EF mount.
Can anyone confirm that ?

addax
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Right, thanks, I'm reading it right now "Interchangeable Mounts"...

olindacat
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I think we had a thread on this topic you might want to look at as well: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?249313-Which-adapter-is-best-for-Nikon-F-mount-lenses/page3

David G. Smith
06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I am going to second (or third, or fourth) the choice of Nikon manual primes. I put together a set for a HD-DSLR and am going to continue to use them for my FS-100. I love them on them so far and have real high hopes for them on the new camera. I also have been doing some research on the Canon FD lenses and will probably pick up a few of them also. The choices of FD lenses seems to be pretty thin on the wide side, but there also seems to be a whole bunch of big honking long lenses available with a FD mount that I think would be very cool to have. While long lenses probably would not be used that often, I dig the aesthetics of them and with the FD lenses, picking up a few of them won't break the bank.

Doctor Wu
06-08-2011, 11:41 PM
It's crazy the range of lenses you can put on this thing. So effin excited to put my old Minolta 28-70mm F2.8 "G" lens on this baby with a Sony LA-EA1 adapter. SWEETNESS! What a great zoom lens, with minimal breathing.

Also I'm way more stoked with my Nikons, Canons and Minolta MD/AF's now that I see so much more Field of View with my lenses than on GH2's m4/3. Yes, it's only about 25% more horizontally (vs GH1), but what a difference it seems to make. It makes me very happy :love4: that my lenses are regaining some of their image circle they were designed for. You get more contrast and resolution out of them, in general, than the same lens on m4/3 chips for a variety of reasons.

Very happy so far:
-Super clean image.
-Adaptable to almost all lenses, and do I gots a lot of lenses!
-Sony LA-EA1 works with Sony/Minolta lenses, at least for iris control. Not for autofocus.

speedracerlo
06-10-2011, 01:36 AM
I've currently got a set of Zeiss ZF primes 18,25,35,50,85
I skipped the 100mm makro because it breathes so much that I can't use my mattebox on it
I was thinking of picking up a cheap Nikon 70-210mm F/4-5.6 AF to fill the long range that I'm missing
can anyone recommend this lens?

LowDown
06-10-2011, 05:17 AM
I've currently got a set of Zeiss ZF primes 18,25,35,50,85
I skipped the 100mm makro because it breathes so much that I can't use my mattebox on it
I was thinking of picking up a cheap Nikon 70-210mm F/4-5.6 AF to fill the long range that I'm missing
can anyone recommend this lens?

you're missing out on one of the best zeiss lenses. The macro function is extremely useful and it's a really beautiful lens when used in regular shooting. When you say "breathes" I assume you mean extends as breathing in usually referring to image characteristics .
if you are looking for something cheaper, I would get a nikon 105/2.8mm ais or a nikon 180/2.8 ais.
here's what I have:
nikon 17-35/2.8
zeiss zf 25, 35, 50/1.4, 85, 100.
nikon 80mm tilt/shift
nikon 180/2.8 ais
nikon 300/2.8 ais

alarch
06-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Hello!

As anyone seen some shots with the 18200? How does it handle shallow dof and image quality?
If someone as some links or could post it would be nice, cause I don't seem to find much on it on the web.

Also do you gus know if the Nikon VR should work with adapters for G lenses?

Thanks!

David W. Jones
06-13-2011, 06:56 AM
I think all CP 2 are mount interchangeable. This means that you can buy lets say the PL version, and buy the --to EF mount.
Can anyone confirm that ?

For those of you considering purchasing Zeiss CP.2 lenses because of their interchangeable lens mount system, with the thought of easily changing the mount while in the field. Think again.
Cost for a single Zeiss CP.2 lens with the mount of your choice is say $3900. Each additional mount is $390. An extra set of Torx screws is $34. And the needed shim set is $33. Bringing the cost of each lens up to $4357 per lens, not including bench time to re-collimate each lens to the proper focal flange depth each time you change mounts.
Just something to think about when shopping for a lens set.

All the Best!

Dave

Stephen Mick
06-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Hello!

As anyone seen some shots with the 18200? How does it handle shallow dof and image quality?
If someone as some links or could post it would be nice, cause I don't seem to find much on it on the web.

Thanks!

Here you go… (Disregard the red pixel on the screen, it was a piece of sensor dust.)

http://vimeo.com/24670007

thxdave
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Wouldn't a piece of dust just create a dark spot? I'd worry about a stuck pixel if that were MY camera? Keep us posted on that, okay?

alarch
06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks Stephen.
In fact I did see yours before I was looking for some more footage :)

the sel 18200 seems very decent dont you think?

DM_rider
06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know if the Nikon tokina 11-16 has the aperture pin on the back?

eheath
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know if the Nikon tokina 11-16 has the aperture pin on the back?

i think it does, tons of people use it

NeedCreative
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes it does. I have it, I am using it on the FS100 with a G adapter, no issues except not knowing what F-stop I am at.

addax
06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
For those of you considering purchasing Zeiss CP.2 lenses because of their interchangeable lens mount system, with the thought of easily changing the mount while in the field. Think again.
Cost for a single Zeiss CP.2 lens with the mount of your choice is say $3900. Each additional mount is $390. An extra set of Torx screws is $34. And the needed shim set is $33. Bringing the cost of each lens up to $4357 per lens, not including bench time to re-collimate each lens to the proper focal flange depth each time you change mounts.
Just something to think about when shopping for a lens set.

All the Best!

Dave

You make me think, I'll go for ZF.2...

gibby1
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
This may have already been covered...I'm wondering what happens, more like what do I lose, when using E mount adaptors? What happens to my Zeiss zf 35mm with an e mount adaptor on the FS100?

cgold
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
You lose electronic communication between the camera and lens,but the ZF lenses are manual focus and manual apeteure right? So you wouldn't be missing much.

thxdave
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I'll be using Nikon lenses when I get my FS100 and was wondering if there are any adapters that will carry all the electronic contacts from the body to the lens? Or, should I just stick with older manual focus lenses and forget all the automation?

Rick Burnett
06-17-2011, 12:57 PM
There are no electronic adapters yet for Nikon. Birger has said they will be working on one after the Canon version is done.

thxdave
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks Rick. This is a new area for me but I have a few Nikkors (all AF's) and I'm anxious to use them on the FS100 but wasn't sure what functionality I'd be losing....if any.

Rick Burnett
06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
You won't get any electronic control. So no IS, no AutoFocus, no AutoIris, etc. If your Nikon lenses do not have an aperture ring for adjustment, you'll need a mount that can adjust the iris with the pin at the back of the lens. In these circumstances, you won't know what iris setting you are using, but at least you can change it! :)

thxdave
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
All my Nikkors are AI's except for the 12-24 f2.8 which is a G-series. If I have to get the Birger to control the G lens, will it function okay with the AI's?

David G. Smith
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah, all of my Nikons are full manual. But there are a couple of Nikon "G" lenses that I wouldn't mind having. What is the deal with the manual "G" mount adaptors I see out there for Nikon to E-mount? Is there a mechanical connection/control that controls the aperture? Of course, with that you wouldn't know you true aperture setting would you?

DM_rider
06-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, all of my Nikons are full manual. But there are a couple of Nikon "G" lenses that I wouldn't mind having. What is the deal with the manual "G" mount adaptors I see out there for Nikon to E-mount? Is there a mechanical connection/control that controls the aperture? Of course, with that you wouldn't know you true aperture setting would you?

I have a cheap fotodiox nikon to e mount and it's fairly decent for $50. I just bought it to hold me over until the MTF adapters are readily available.

It's just a pin inside the adapter and a ring or screw that allows you to adjust the aperture. Only downside is that there is no way to see what your f stop is. But, I don't think it'd be too hard to mark the adapter to give you a semi accurate reading.

Rick Burnett
06-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I have a cheap fotodiox nikon to e mount and it's fairly decent for $50. I just bought it to hold me over until the MTF adapters are readily available.

It's just a pin inside the adapter and a ring or screw that allows you to adjust the aperture. Only downside is that there is no way to see what your f stop is. But, I don't think it'd be too hard to mark the adapter to give you a semi accurate reading.

Wouldn't those markings be different for whatever lens you have on?

alexdias
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Been looking for a decent zoom for run and gun, which can be tricky with a S-35 size sensor.
Found this Sony Alpha lens with some interesting qualities:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=545868&is=REG

The focus ring makes me concern though...

eheath
06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Been looking for a decent zoom for run and gun, which can be tricky with a S-35 size sensor.
Found this Sony Alpha lens with some interesting qualities:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=545868&is=REG

The focus ring makes me concern though...

I was thinking the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 nonvc as my "run and gun" lens for when i get an fs100. No auto features, but its not like the sony lenses are gonna have legit auto focus anyway.

FelixGER
06-18-2011, 05:30 AM
I was thinking the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 nonvc as my "run and gun" lens for when i get an fs100. No auto features, but its not like the sony lenses are gonna have legit auto focus anyway.

I can recommend this lens. I used it on my GH2 and will use it on my FS100. Definately best bang for bucks!

Postmaster
06-18-2011, 06:23 AM
After playing a few days with the FS100, I bit the bullet and bought the kit lens.

Dang!

I love my Zeiss and Nikon primes to death, but sometimes I got run & gun jobs like press conferences and EB work.
Nothing you really want to do with a case full of primes. It might also come handy in some documentary scenarios.

It arrived tomorrow and I must say, it is much better than I thought.
The anti-shake thingie works wonders and the auto focus is smooth and continuous.

The slow peed is something that isn't the baldest thing with a camera that you canīt hardly use outside without a bunch of NDs.

Just for fun, I was setting it to everything auto and holding it out of the car window while cursing the cobblestone streets of my home town - worked surprisingly good.
Focus did not jump around as I suspected and the steady shot ironed out the bumpy road - almost like a steadycam.

For this type of work - run&gun/EB, I really recommend that lens.

Frank

xenogears
06-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I can recommend this lens. I used it on my GH2 and will use it on my FS100. Definately best bang for bucks!

Hi FelixGER, iīm thinking buying this lens to use in both; in the GH2 and soon in the FS100, how is your experience so far? do you have some shots posted? have you used with a follow focus? how about the weigh with the GH2? for me the Zeiss 24-70 f2.8mm cover my most used focal length, will buy the Tokima 11-16mm f2.8 too!

Cheers

speedracerlo
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM
saw this lens on Amazon and was thinking about getting it too, but I think there are better zooms for the same price range if you don't need certain functions like autofocus, etc
the only thing that entices me to get this lens is the Steady Shot function

alexdias
06-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Which "kit lens"???

FelixGER
06-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi FelixGER, iīm thinking buying this lens to use in both; in the GH2 and soon in the FS100, how is your experience so far? do you have some shots posted? have you used with a follow focus? how about the weigh with the GH2? for me the Zeiss 24-70 f2.8mm cover my most used focal length, will buy the Tokima 11-16mm f2.8 too!

Cheers

I like the the lens a lot because of its short focus way. I donīt have to screw and screw to get from infinity to the nearest possible point.
I used it on a follow focus. That can actually be a bit tricky and it ruined two takes on my current short film project beacause the markings really must be hit by a fraction of a millimeter. Thatīs the downside.
Weigh is perfect! About the same as the Lumix 14-140 mm.

I have some footage here which actually is not meant to be published (people get named in the video and due to excessive alcohol consumption itīs "sensible" footage...^^ Donīt miss 21:55-22:50 Min)
But for this forum itīs ok:

http://www.vimeo.com/23490553
PW: 15191519

Start - 37:42 min -> Lumix 14-140
37:42 min - End -> Tamron 17-50 2.8