PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down FS100 thread

imag
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
There have been a lot of comments on topside viewfinder/loupe, and the problems it causes with a high camera mount position.

There was also some discussion that the camera viewfinder will automatically flip when it it turned upside down. I am wondering if the camera was designed to be used in either direction. Obviously, flipping it switches the side for the buttons and connectors, which is a bit challenging ergonomically, but it could be kind of awesome for high angles, etc.

To simplify the thread:

Does anyone have any confirmation of the viewfinder flip when the camera is flipped so the viewfinder is on the bottom?

Does anyone know if upside-down operation for long periods of time would cause heat issues? (we probably need Sony to confirm that)

Is there any chance the camera automatically flips the image when it is turned upside down? (I kind of doubt it; we can always do that in post)

AGMedia
05-08-2011, 03:07 AM
The Sony guy at NAB said you can turn the camera upside down and then flip the image in post. So, that would strongly indicate no automatic flip.

imag
05-08-2011, 07:22 AM
That figures - in some cases, you wouldn't even want it to automatically flip. The fact that they suggested it says there shouldn't be any operational issue from flipping it.

Did you happen to see if the viewfinder image flipped? If it does, then there really is no big issue with the top-mounted LCD in my mind.

maranfilms
05-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Thats the beauty of a box, you can turn it upside down, and it still looks the same:) Not to mention this thing has a ton of 1/4-20 mounting holes.

Rick Burnett
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Those mounting holes are great. One thing I do on occasion is mount a camera to a monopod and then run it close to the ground, holding the monopod above the camera. This will work great with that.

morgan_moore
05-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The EX1 flips the image when the monitor is facing forwards so reporters can film themselves - I guess it might do that

zeke
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
That figures - in some cases, you wouldn't even want it to automatically flip. The fact that they suggested it says there shouldn't be any operational issue from flipping it.

Did you happen to see if the viewfinder image flipped? If it does, then there really is no big issue with the top-mounted LCD in my mind.

I did. it works. As others have said, the captured video is not flipped.