PDA

View Full Version : Sony F3 and FS100 Comparison

Boon
04-29-2011, 11:52 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-avchd-nex-fs100/495251-fs100-f3-alisters-video.html

I think the FS100 is looking good.

imag
04-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I hated to say it on there, but botching the exposure by that much basically ruined the comparison.

thekreative
04-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Ya, the shots can't be compared. Closing down the FS100 iris must will bring those colours up. I'd call for a reshot with monitor.

John Caballero
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Both cameras looked awful! Well, I must be honest, I fell asleep halfway down the clip. Phillip Bloom, can't wait for your footage!

philip bloom
04-30-2011, 03:36 PM
I will get the review and comparison up Wednesday I promise John!!

Tied up in Brussels working then drive home then Tuesday to edit!!

John Caballero
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank Philip for all your great work throughout the years. You do everything with true professionalism and fun mixed in! You and Barry Green I admire the most! Great people for the business! Looking forward to next week. I am really interested in the FS100. Thanks!

maranfilms
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
With all due respect JOHN, Allister had the camera for a very short time. I think he did a good job considering his time constraints. Lets be real, how many people do you know that can set up two cameras they have never used, shoot side by side, and get them matched to where they can be intercut? And in less than a day. I thought it was pretty cool he took the time to do this comparison, and felt it was beneficial for the most part. Give the guy some credit. He didn't have to do this, so why bag on him?

JMartin
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
I think we should be grateful to have access to these comparisons, and recognise the time and effort put into them. I've already learned a lot from the tireless Mr Bloom with his Vimeo comparison of the F3, AF100 and FS100. Downloading the MPEG4 and burning to BluRay was most enlightening, even after Vimeo compression. I look forward to his forthcoming insights.

Likewise I thank Alister Chapman for his comparison. It's all useful info, in my view.

maranfilms
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
I think we should be grateful to have access to these comparisons, and recognise the time and effort put into them. I've already learned a lot from the tireless Mr Bloom with his Vimeo comparison of the F3, AF100 and FS100. Downloading the MPEG4 and burning to BluRay was most enlightening, even after Vimeo compression. I look forward to his forthcoming insights.

Likewise I thank Alister Chapman for his comparison. It's all useful info, in my view.

Right on

John Caballero
04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
With all due respect JOHN, Allister had the camera for a very short time. I think he did a good job considering his time constraints. Lets be real, how many people do you know that can set up two cameras they have never used, shoot side by side, and get them matched to where they can be intercut? And in less than a day.

Bary Green? LOL!

Ian-T
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I really appreciate this test. For me...what I got out of it is it seems like overkill to get the F3 vs an FS100. They look exactly alike. I think the gentleman stated why it was easy to make the mistake and overexpose the FS100. So...without a doubt....when one works out all the kinks in handling...I believe both cameras basically look the same image wise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love an FS100...but in all honesty none of the videos I've seen so far from either cameras have that "organic" film-like look (I guess I'm waiting for that...WOW footage still). It's not unlike typical "clean" (and I mean very very clean) DSLR footage (but without the obvious aliasing). Don't shoot me...it's just an opinion. :)

pulpfiction007
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I really appreciate this test. For me...what I got out of it is it seems like overkill to get the F3 vs an FS100. They look exactly alike. I think the gentleman stated why it was easy to make the mistake and overexpose the FS100. So...without a doubt....when one works out all the kinks in handling...I believe both cameras basically look the same image wise.

Don't get me wrong, I would love an FS100...but in all honesty none of the videos I've seen so far from either cameras have that "organic" film-like look (I guess I'm waiting for that...WOW footage still). It's not unlike typical "clean" (and I mean very very clean) DSLR footage (but without the obvious aliasing). Don't shoot me...it's just an opinion. :)

No one's going to start shooting! I think when different shooters get their hands on them, they'll put them to use in a way that shows another side we haven't yet seen. So far the clips have been - "look at how clean the image is! and "look at how good this does in low light!" or test footage. (which is all great by the way)
Some of the Den Lennie music video was pretty "organic", but hopefully Bloom will do his usual magic for those looking for a different look from these cameras.

Skilled
05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
None of the footage looks great to me. Does that guy know what he is doing? Has a white haze to it to me.

nyvz
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
None of the footage looks great to me. Does that guy know what he is doing? Has a white haze to it to me.

That might be England :)