PDA

View Full Version : sources for funding a doc...

dog666
04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
I have been searching around and I have not been able to find many good sources for grant money for independent Docs that aren't in either California or New York..... does anyone know of a good list to find grant info on? I'm planning a documentary about an ultramarathon in Virginia, so I guess this would be a sports doc....thanks.

galt
04-14-2005, 10:05 AM
Figure out who would be interested. Wealthy runners, shoe companies, event sponsors, sports-injury doctors, state of Virginia tourism office, etc... Write your proposal and go talk to people.

wabbit
04-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Galt has it right. Secure private funding for your picture. Grants are a lengthy and competitive process. I know several grant writers that charge over $100 an hour for their services. On the other hand, you can find small grants of under a thousand dollars comparitively easy. These small grants can then lead to getting other large ones but again it is very lengthy and competitive.

Private companies are much more likely to take an interest in your picture. Present them with a polished and professional script (you have to sell yourself also) and you will find money much easier to come by then the cutthroat world of grants. Also, you need fiscal sponsership to get most grants and they take about 8% off the top.

Anthony_Gilmore
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
however....preparing the documents for grants are quite competitive...yet the process of writing them and submitting the required documents will help you develop paper treatments and production notes that can be used for broadcasters and potential producers down the road. I suggest doing the footwork if time permits.

Barry_Green
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Check out Morrie Warshawski, he's one of the experts on funding documentary films. He specializes in it.

http://www.warshawski.com