http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/newposter.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/VillainPoster.jpg

taylormade
04-17-2011, 09:06 AM
BTS video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZk3xPGWtCM

Chris_Keaton
04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Ok, for some reason that sounds totally bizarre. You are #4!

Hawk Teflon
04-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Awesome! Looks kinda like an Elite (Halo series) and Iron Man mated.

Anthony Todaro
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Total bot destruction!

MrFluffy
04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Looks like it will be well cool.

taylormade
05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm shooting background plates for the CG animation this weekend at a nearby High School. I've just about completed the opening sequence with the title animation and the V-656 killer robot escaping from the top-secret government compound - 36 hours of rendering time!

And what does a High School have to do with killer robots? Stay tuned.

Chris Messineo
05-13-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm shooting background plates for the CG animation this weekend at a nearby High School.

CG Animation - very cool! I'm looking forward to this.

Lynchenstein
05-13-2011, 02:11 PM
The poster looks awesome, I love the robot - can't wait to see it in action!

taylormade
05-30-2011, 07:25 AM
We shoot on June 11th. The actual shoot, at a nearby high school, will be the easy part. I'm grinding away on the special effects. There are about 26 individual CG effects shots in the film. I hope I haven't gotten myself in over my head, especially since I'm losing this week being on vacation in Colorado. Lots of midnight oil coming up to make the July deadline.

Chris Messineo
05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Best of luck with your shoot date.

taylormade
05-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks Chris. Sounds like your shoot day went well. Plan on posting any screen grabs in the near future?

Chris Messineo
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Chris. Sounds like your shoot day went well. Plan on posting any screen grabs in the near future?

It went great!

I should have the poster up later today and hopefully a few stills by the end of the week.

taylormade
06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Man, I just went over our script in prep for the shoot this weekend. Out of the 47 shots called out 26 are special effects. I've been working furiously on these scenes - I hope I have enough time to finish them. I've been doing the animation in the evening and rendering overnight. A shot of the killer robot punching through the hallway wall in a high school ended up with 52 seperate layers in AfterEffects. I'll post some frame grabs this evening if I get a chance.

Next time - one room, one actor, no effects!

Dustin R. Rogan
06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
nice!

Rogan

Chris Messineo
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I'll post some frame grabs this evening if I get a chance.

I'm looking forward to it.

taylormade
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Some frame grabs as promised. All effects work at this point.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Sign.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Wall.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Blast-1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Hole.jpg

Chris Messineo
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Awesome! This looks epic.

MrFluffy
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Looking good.

taylormade
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
June 11th - fourteen hour shoot, five actors, 42 set-ups, two locations. First two minutes cut. I'm in South Carolina on a paying shoot and plan to continue editing and effects when I get back Thursday. Looks like lots of projects are progressing nicely. Should be some fun viewing when this thing is over.

Hawk Teflon
06-15-2011, 07:48 PM
This looks awesome! Very impressive, Taylor.

Chris Messineo
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
June 11th - fourteen hour shoot, five actors, 42 set-ups, two locations. First two minutes cut. I'm in South Carolina on a paying shoot and plan to continue editing and effects when I get back Thursday. Looks like lots of projects are progressing nicely. Should be some fun viewing when this thing is over.

Sounds like a busy shoot - I can't wait to see how it turns out!

taylormade
06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Some shots from last Saturday's shoot.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Room1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/room2.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/room3.jpg

Chris Messineo
06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Great BTS shots and location.

Is that the HVX you're shooting with? I love that camera; I still use mine all the time (we even shot all our BTS footage with it).

taylormade
06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
HVX 200A. I like it, too. The shoot went great, but the air-conditioning was off at the school for the summer, so things got a bit hot.

Chris Messineo
06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I feel for you - heat can be brutal. I shot in an attic once during the summer and I thought someone was going to pass out.

taylormade
06-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Four minutes in on the edit with grading and effects work done. Lots of effects and rotoscoping in the last two minutes, but it looks like I'll make it if no unforseen disasters occur.

Hawk Teflon
06-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Rotoscoping. Yuck. I do not envy you. Good luck on that!

taylormade
06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, one of those things that came up after we shot. Me and my big mouth commenting that it would be cool to insert a CG figure into this scene. Then I realized it meant roto, motion tracking and 3D perspective animation and rendering to get it right. Like I said before - next fest one room, one actor and no special effects!

taylormade
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Cast and crew at the finish of the shoot. A minor problem deveolped when the robots demanded scale at the end of the day but we worked things out.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Groupcopy.jpg

Chris Messineo
06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/taylormadefilms/Groupcopy.jpg

Best cast and crew shot ever! :)

MrFluffy
06-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Awesome cast and crew!

taylormade
06-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Man am I glad I have a good battery backup for my computer. Thunderstorms ripping through my area and the power has been on and off all evening. Still trying to finish all the effects - too damn many! Everytime I think I'm close, my wife, my daughter or menbers of the crew come up with some great - and overly complicated - effect they want me to try. Like an idiot, I do. Hey, most of the ideas are helping the film, but I may end up in rest home while they enjoy the final product.

taylormade
06-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Finished the edit at 6:00AM after an all-nighter. Luckily, my wife is taking the files over to the composer since I'd probably fall asleep at the wheel on the way to his place. Still have about a minute and a half of effects to refine and render. it's going to be very close. Funny, it seemed like there was plenty of time when this started.

Hawk Teflon
06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Funny, it seemed like there was plenty of time when this started.

I agree. I guess that's why they give us three months to do this. Though I seem to keep waiting until the last 30 days.

taylormade
06-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Tell me this isn't a gut check. The final cut is 05:59:19, and that's at 24p. Made it by five frames! I'm going to have to have my credits on this thread, however, no room for anything but the main title.

Hawk Teflon
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Very nice!!

Chris Messineo
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Tell me this isn't a gut check. The final cut is 05:59:19, and that's at 24p. Made it by five frames! I'm going to have to have my credits on this thread, however, no room for anything but the main title.

I'm glad you made the time cut-off.

For your end credits - you can end with a frame with all the credits on it.

taylormade
06-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Kind of like the disclaimers on those TV credit card ads.

Chris Messineo
06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, without all the legalese. :)

KhamIsk
07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Oh, so the writer of Akisu is a producer as well! Nice crew shots! Good luck to you!

taylormade
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Producer by default. Director/Writer(with others on this one)/DP/Editor/Special Effects Supervisor/Sound Effects Editor. I know nothing about music except knowing what I like, so we have an excellent musician scoring our film. My crew are friends, family and one guy who writes movie reviews for the local newspaper. We all got involved for the fun of it. Nothing very deep in the subject matter, but we hope everybody gets a few laughs out of our effort.

taylormade
07-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Finished! Screening today for cast and crew at a Forth of July picnic at my daughter's and son-in-law's. Saw it for the first time on my 52 inch flat screen last night. Man, I love hi-def, but it sure is a pain in the ass for effects rendering. I can actually relax today and tomorrow for a change. Hope everyone out there has a happy holiday and that your films are nearing the finish line. Should be some great viewing coming up!

Hawk Teflon
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Congratulations! You should set up a camera and get everyone's reactions to it.

Chris Messineo
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Finished! Screening today for cast and crew at a Forth of July picnic at my daughter's and son-in-law's. Saw it for the first time on my 52 inch flat screen last night. Man, I love hi-def, but it sure is a pain in the ass for effects rendering. I can actually relax today and tomorrow for a change. Hope everyone out there has a happy holiday and that your films are nearing the finish line. Should be some great viewing come up!

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm almost done too. None of my cast and crew have seen a thing and I can't wait to show it to them. Have fun at your screening!

taylormade
07-04-2011, 05:56 PM
The BTS video is up. Now I'm totally finished!

ZazaCast
07-04-2011, 06:47 PM
The BTS video is up. Now I'm totally finished!
Looks good...VERY HOT... but good, must have been a fun shoot.
Congrats on getting everything done!

Chris Messineo
07-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Great BTS. It looks like everyone had a lot of fun.

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Excellent BTS

Chris Lukeman
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Cool looking robots, can't wait to see them in action!

taylormade
07-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Uploaded. I'm going to bed.

taylormade
07-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Final poster up.

MrFluffy
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Awesome new poster. Love it.
(Did you know that your film link in the uploads seems to be wrong?)

Chris Messineo
07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
The new poster is great - very dramatic!

taylormade
07-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I caught it and notified Larry. Thanks for the shout out.

Anthony Todaro
07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I guarantee this smashes Transformers 3 in spirit and probably in story as well.
Break a leg or should I say.... servo... :thumbsup:

taylormade
07-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I guarantee this smashes Transformers 3 in spirit and probably in story as well.
Break a leg or should I say.... servo... :thumbsup:

Thanks, Anthony. In spirit, maybe, but certainly not in budget!

(Glad to see "Psychopathy" got made - and by ZAZA no less. I'm waiting to see his take on it.)

Matt Harris
07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Dude this looks epic! I am really impressed, can't wait to see your hardwork come to life.

Hawk Teflon
07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
SPOILER REVIEW:
First off, my hat is off to you for integrating so much CG with this. I've tried, and I just can't do it. So a huge thumbs up for live action / CG integration.

I actually really enjoyed the story. You should tell your actors they did great. I've directed kids before, and it was NOT fun. So good job on that.

Did you design the robots yourself? Each of them was really neat ... you know, except the boys' robot. :grin:

I also liked finding out their teacher didn't really die, but was a robot himself. That was a nice touch. It was a little morbid seeing him explode in front of them.

It's hard for me to make the next critique, though, because I DON'T understand what it takes for CG integration, but it just felt like they two bigger robots weren't really there. Maybe it was the coloring, or UV Mapping or ... I don't know. Also, don't hear what I'm NOT saying. I'm not saying it was bad by any means. It was still awesome, but something just felt a little off on it.

Again, congrats on a job well done. Tell those kids they earned their pay!

ZazaCast
07-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Cute little film... the kid's rocked it!

This kind of film/cartoon-ish thing isn't my cup-o'-tea so it's hard to critique. I know this HAD to have taken a LOT of work to put together, but it didn't seem to gel for me. I liked the design of the different robots(Bob was best) and all, but the stand-out was the kids preformances. They all did a great job. Taylor really stood-out to me...she nailed it! :thumbsup: Like I said...cute film...but that last line? :huh: Keep them coming, I look forward to your next film.

MrFluffy
07-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Film with Kids and CG is right up my alley :)

The kids did really well although the boys cried a bit too much given the girls cool demenour :)

You did really well with this, especially given the restrictions on software (you used poser right?). The V656 had too much floor slide (it didnt move forward as fast as the feet, so it appears to be on ice). The rendering didnt make it feel real, you really need environmental lighting sampled at the location or a light rig that matches the location very well, for this to look real. But these are all issues with using poser which has no match move ability, limited rendering and poor animation tools.
Upgrade to a proper 3d package and you'll rock.

Overall I loved this film. Congrats to you and the crew!

taylormade
07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Poser - especially version 7 - just doesn't have the chops to do this right. I figured the entire thing was sort of cartoonish so I could get away with it with a little leeway. Seems I was wrong. I had the same problem you did, time rendering verus full quality. I guess the lesson was, one actor, one room, no special effects. Still, it was a joy making it and working with the kids. I hope there was enough from them to make it work for you. I'd love to spring for Maya, ZBrush, 3dsMax and V-Ray, but with the economy the way it is, I'm lucky to struggle by with Poser and AfterEffects!

MrFluffy
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Seems I was wrong.
Not for me. I loved it.

Matt Harris
07-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I personally can't fault any of the animation because it's such a huge undertaking especially considering the deadline. There's always more time to work on it, but for what you got accomplished for your entry is pretty incredible to me. I can only imagine how much work went into the filming of this, and then incorporating the cgi. Not to mention you have multiple actors acting against nothing in nearly every shot. And for that i give you major kudos. Not to mention I like the film overall and thought it a great "kids" movie, you should pitch this thing to networks as a saturday morning show.

Dustin R. Rogan
07-10-2011, 08:11 PM
first off, working with kids, you deserve an award for that (even if they are related i believe two were right?) they actually did pretty well in my book, the other too seemed over the top. But that aside, having to work with children and having them work with imaginary actors....o.O GIANT GOLDEN FREAKIN KUDOS to you sir! Excellent job!

Rogan

Nemesis TS
07-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Fun film. The kids seemed to have a good time doing it and did a good job. I thought the cg was really good. I've done some stuff with after effects so I know how difficult and time consuming that can be. Cool kids movie, this could hold its own against some of the other popular kids programming I've seen.
Awesome job!

Hawk Teflon
07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Wow, yeah, I totally forgot about the fact that the kids had to act with nothing there. They sold it so well that I didn't even think about that! Awesome!

Lynchenstein
07-11-2011, 09:29 AM
I thought you did a great job. I watched the BTS earlier on so I had an idea what to expect. My expectations were surpassed though.

The girl's robot was by far the best looking with believable movements. The rest were a little too jerky with no acceleration or deceleration in their movements if that makes any sense. I guess my mind expects larger robots to be slower due to their mass, but I didn't get a sense of mass from the big bots. Having done a tiny bit of animation years ago in college I can appreciate how difficult it was to put all of this together in the time you had, and here I am nitpicking minor details - so enough of that!

You must have had some of the models either built or in development prior, right? The V-series was very complex and it could have taken weeks just to get that done. It looked like it jumped right out of my XBox - I mean that as a compliment BTW.

I can only imagine how much fun it was for the kids involved - a movie a killer robot? Sign me up!
I also loved the twist at the end with the cyborg teacher - I didn't see it coming.

lawriejaffa
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Unfortuately I lost my initial feedback that I typed here doh! So apolagies for the slightly shorter version but if you want to ask me any further questions on my thoughts about about v-656 id be happy to oblige.

Essentially i found this to be a charming and fun film, that was marred by wooden performances from the children. It is a childish film (and thats fine) but with a zappier pace, zappier jokes and better performances could almost have felt like a kind of robo-fetishistic tim and eric style comedy piece.

It is in my top 5 imperfect though it is (even if it does have the 'dad has forced his kids to make a pet project with him vibe' - (better that with your film than some of the others i guess haha!)

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I really enjoyed this film.

Great title sequence - what a fun way to open the film.

What I really liked here was the story. It felt complete and I especially liked the twist with the teacher.

The CGI (for a short film fest) is also really impressive. It's got a great B-Movie quality and I mean that as a real compliment (I am a massive Ray Harryhausen fan and his films feel the same to me).

What didn't work for me quite as well was the tone, which wasn't always consistent. I wish everyone had played it a bit more dramatically and closer to the vest (for example, the reaction to the destruction of their teacher felt a bit over-the-top).

Still, this was one of my favorite films in the fest. Really well done.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Damn. This crapped out on me at 4:30
I LOL'd at what happened to the teacher though. :)
I'm off to try again.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Alright, this was fun. I'm sure the kids had a blast with this.
Not much to say that hasn't already been said?

The robots were cool. The kids did a good job for the style of film you were making.
I laughed a few times. Fun stuff. I'm sure this took a lot of effort to make.

I liked the "smart" girl. She played her part well, as did the teacher.

Chris_Keaton
07-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Ugh, I can't get it to load to see the whole thing. It stopped when bob pushed the sensor. I'll try again later.

taylormade
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks, everyone, for taking a look at our entry. I hope Chris gets to see the ending - especially after our discussion about his Samurai Fest entry.

This fest a is a rare chance to get honest and constructive comments about something you made, a rarity today when most of the feedback is filtered through fawning friends and family, or folks who feel they must be PC when commenting about your film. Your feedback is real raw data that goes a long way in making any future project better and more satisfying.

It’s interesting to see how divergent some of the comments were. The hardest to decipher were the overall take on the acting in V-656, which went from “wooden” to a “bit over the top.” Any criticism belongs squarely in my lap. The kids gave it all they had and followed my instructions, so any missteps in this area are entirely my own.

Same with the CG - I had neither time or equipment to go all out with it, but wanted to give it a shot. I thought making it a bit 50’s Sci-Fi might overcome the technical limitations, which is why we went for an over-the-top Saturday matinee look instead of dark, chilling drama. This was never going to be totally realistic so there was no point in pretending it was. No excuses, just my decision what direction to take it. It seemed to work for some viewers and disturb the heck out of others.

This was a fun project and the fest was a great opportunity to watch 17 films from talented filmmakers from around the world. Can’t wait for the next one, and all your thoughtful comments will hopefully make my next entry better.

Chris Lukeman
07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Fun kids film! I thought the acting mostly fit the tone of the whole. I really liked the robot animation for the push in shots (like 3:06). One easy (ie low rendering time) way to sell some of the animation shots would be to add some camera shake to the footsteps when the robots walked in all of the wide shots. Not as much as Transformers or anything, but just a little. The robots sounded really heavy when they walked and it felt off to me that some action shots were handheld but those were locked down. I know you had shake in some of them, I guess I noticed that it wasn't consistent. I did like the short though!

I am curious if you liked the fact that the table was reflective or if you were mad because it cranked your render and animation times up haha.

taylormade
07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I actually liked the reflective table - pure chance that the scinece room had them. I think the little robot is probably the most realistic of all the bots, partially because of the reflections and because his walk is the most alien and robotic so you buy it.

Actually, V-656 shakes the camera everytime he takes a step. I thought about doing it with Bob, but I was afraid it might take away from the big guy. Easy enough to go back and add a little for him, too.

Thanks for watching!

Mobie540
07-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Wow, that was really creative. Kudos to you because that must've been extremely time consuming. My sole venture into animation was a balloon and that took forever.

Anyway, I found myself chuckling at parts and really found the whole thing enjoyable. Great work!

Chris_Keaton
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM
A cute cartoony kids short. That smart kid really acted her but off. Any significance to the robot's number?

Oh yeah, I liked that ending better when it was mine.

taylormade
07-15-2011, 07:25 AM
A cute cartoony kids short. That smart kid really acted her but off. Any significance to the robot's number?

Oh yeah, I liked that ending better when it was mine.

I thought the number sounded cool so I went with it. No significance.

My granddaughter will be happy to hear you liked her performance.

Actually, my co-writer Kent Tentschert came up with that piece of the plot. I laughed out loud when I read your script in Samurai Fest - not at the script but at the coincidence. Apparently great minds think alike.

jambredz
07-15-2011, 08:06 AM
LOL. i was laughing alot. at first i didnt like the cartoony look...then I saw that thats what u were going for. Its a nice kids flick

Chris_Keaton
07-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I did like how the teacher was 'killed' though it gave me a chuckle.

ashpatel
07-17-2011, 12:09 PM
That was a fun BTS. Awesome poster. Love the CGI design of the robot.

Marlon Ladd
07-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought this was a great and fun kids film. I think you made the right decision to go over the top and it worked. Everything worked really good and I liked the effects. The acting could have been better, but it worked anyway and there were a few times when I laughed. I know how hard it must have been to get this going and incorporate the CGI in here, so kudos to you big time.

Charli
07-18-2011, 04:19 PM
It's hard to work with one child actor. You worked with several, so props. Their acting overall however wasn't as good and the teacher was worse. He should have upped the acting, but he brought it down even more.

I liked the line, "I did sixth grade twice..." that made me laugh. I know you put a lot of work into the CG so I'm not really going to chop you on that, but it could have been maybe simpler. With not-so-good-dialogue there wasn't enough witty exchange with the kids and they didn't behave like kids (on the whole). It seemed too rehearsed.

Twist ending with teacher-bot, nice touch. I did not see that coming. I would have liked hints to foreshadow that but there weren't any. End joke about Arnold was cute. It was entertaining but on the low end instead of the high end.

pauly_the_hitman
07-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Well I sorta kinda liked it for some reason. Not sure about the acting but I loved the cg for the most part. Good show.

Anthony Todaro
07-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Cute flick. The kids sold it. The animation killed it. I can't imagine the work that went into this between kids and 3D rendering... You should win an award for being that patient. About the animation, it's really hard to compete with kids in high school coming out with District 9 level of brilliance, but I give you marks for trying. A familiar twist end from scriptfest, can't copyright ideas. I didn't understand what the Arnold line was all about. The kids were great.