04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Sounds epic!
You have no idea ! :)

Chris Messineo
06-08-2011, 08:08 AM
How's it coming?

MrFluffy
06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Lots of rendering and animation, but its going well.

Hawk Teflon
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Nice! Forgive my stupidity, but "Animation" as in cartoon?! What program(s) are you using?

MrFluffy
06-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Think less Tom and Jerry (Cartoon) and more Despicable Me, or Megamind (Animation). The DRKDOW is being made with 3ds Max and rendered with Mental Ray.

Hawk Teflon
06-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Very cool!

MrFluffy
06-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Today, I'm trying to finish two more scenes and build two more render nodes so I stand some chance of finishing this in time. Hopefully I'll get some frames up in the next few days.

Chris Messineo
06-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Think less Tom and Jerry (Cartoon) and more Despicable Me, or Megamind (Animation).

I really liked those two movies a lot. I can't wait to see your stills.

MrFluffy
06-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Added some stills

MrFluffy
06-22-2011, 02:20 AM
The first edit of the film is complete. Some of the animation timing needs adjustment so I'll be revisiting that today and hopefully in the next few days I'll get to push everything to the renderfarm for rendering before putting the final high quality frames together. One I have a completed draft I can start on foley.

MrFluffy
06-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Sometimes you can lose your head doing this sort of thing !

Chris_Keaton
06-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Dude, i would've kept the nature of your film a secret.

Chris Messineo
06-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Great images. I love that alien's face. I can't wait to see what sort of havoc he wrecks on the earth.

Hawk Teflon
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I wish I had your talents, MrFluffy. That's cool.

MrFluffy
06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Uploaded poster.

The complete cut of the film is complete and submitted to the render farm. Now I have the audio to work on.

Hawk Teflon
06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
What program(s) do you use to create?

MrFluffy
06-26-2011, 10:24 AM
What program(s) do you use to create?

3ds max

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 06:01 AM
BTS Posted

Chris Messineo
07-05-2011, 06:17 AM
I love your BTS. I can't believe you did motion capture - how cool.

Also, we have a similar cat - we get rabbits, mice, birds, and even the occasional snake. :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I really wish I could do this sort of thing. Can't wait to see it!

ZazaCast
07-05-2011, 07:32 AM
GREAT BTS stuff...really looking forward to this one!

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I love your BTS. I can't believe you did motion capture - how cool.

Glad you likes the BTS. The mocap was only used for a small part of the animation but served as a reference for the rest as adjusting the timing was very tricky.

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 07:37 AM
I really wish I could do this sort of thing. Can't wait to see it!
Its finished, finally. Just have to add the DVX header.
Phew.

taylormade
07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Wow, I thought I was up to my neck in effects, but you've got me beat by a mile! At least I had some live action stuff to work with. My biggest problem was matching the live-action lighting and then timing everything to coordinate with the actors. Since my CG actors were layered in over live-action backgrounds my rendering times were far less then your monster job. Can't wait to see this!

MrFluffy
07-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow, I thought I was up to my neck in effects, but you've got me beat by a mile! At least I had some live action stuff to work with. My biggest problem was matching the live-action lighting and then timing everything to coordinate with the actors. Since my CG actors were layered in over live-action backgrounds my rendering times were far less then your monster job. Can't wait to see this!
I'm really looking forward to seeing V656. I love CG Robots :)

MrFluffy
07-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Uploaded

Jason Ramsey
07-07-2011, 02:21 AM
I enjoyed your BTS vid, Richard. :) I know some of you guys hate it as a new requirement, and we may well get rid of it... But, for me it is both fun and informative to watch folks engaging in their process. It is fun to look in and see people's perspective on their work...

Thanks for taking the time to make it.

MrFluffy
07-07-2011, 02:46 AM
I enjoyed your BTS vid, Richard. :) I know some of you guys hate it as a new requirement, and we may well get rid of it... But, for me it is both fun and informative to watch folks engaging in their process. It is fun to look in and see people's perspective on their work...

Thanks for taking the time to make it.
I'm glad you liked it Jason. It was tricky to come up with something that might make an otherwise very boring BTS a little more interesting. I dont know how many times I could come up with something like that though :)

ZazaCast
07-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Congrats on the approval (there was never a doubt)... really can't wait to see this. Animations have done well in the past...best of luck!

MrFluffy
07-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Congrats on the approval (there was never a doubt)... really can't wait to see this. Animations have done well in the past...best of luck!
Thanks Zaza, Fingers Crossed.

ZazaCast
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks Zaza, Fingers Crossed.
...if you win, you might have to go shoot something live.... :shocked:

MrFluffy
07-07-2011, 07:38 AM
...if you win, you might have to go shoot something live.... :shocked:
Diabolus Domi II here I come :)

Matt Harris
07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
This is exactly why BTS is awesome for these films! Kudos for the amount of work you did, I can't wait to see this!

Matt Harris
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
wow. loved this. full review coming later but just wanted to say COOL!

Mobie540
07-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I think the animation was pretty good and I'm sure that took forever and a day.

SPOILERS:

That was rather good. I'm curious about his motivation for blowing up planets versus keeping them as trophies. My only criticism is there are no road blocks for this character. It falls on the one note and out side of things.

Hawk Teflon
07-09-2011, 03:58 PM
SPOILER REVIEW:
First of all, I have to say "great job" for being able to create something like that. I'm in awe at anyone that can do that. Very cool.

The good: I liked the concept of it a lot. Very different from everything else. I liked how he "tested" that first planet before just blowing it up. I also liked the music. I didn't at first, but it actually fit really well.

The not as good: I guess I didn't follow WHY he was collecting the planets. Maybe because they're pretty or neat looking. I also don't feel he went through any conflict. It seems like a smaller part of something bigger.

Gord.T
07-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Well your the first participant in the dvxfest to pull off a 3d animation. A 4 minute one at that. An almost impossible feat in this time frame. You've just set the bar for 3d animators in the dvxfest.
A huge congrats.

A funny story. I wont give away any spoilers. Nice graphics on everything.
I liked the overhead shot, the panels, the beam.

A huge accomplishment. I'm in awe of how much work must have went into this. A huge congrats again.

Marlon Ladd
07-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice work. My hat is definitely off to you for making this happen. Keep up the good work.

Matt Harris
07-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I like that he shrinks planets and keeps them as trophies, pretty epic concept. I think you should add a layer of glows and lens flares here and there, especially to the engine on the spaceship etc. It would be a nice dimension added to the CG.

ZazaCast
07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
One man....a bunch of computers...hours & hours of work.... too much fun! This was SO well done. Cute story that took me back to the days of the old Warner Bros. Road Runner cartoons I watched endlessly as a child. I forgot how much fun this can be. The score was the icing on the cake, perfect.

I can't really comment other then to say...I bow down before the great & powerful Dr. Kvorak...Destroyer of Worlds & Collector of Planets!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4100xpb
07-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for putting this in. There always seems to be one or two animated films in these fests, and they're great to see. This came across as charming and cute which is impressive considering the topic. Spoilers throughout the rest of the review.

This fest I'm focusing my reviews on story. My first question is do I care about the main character? Unfortunately here, I do not. Why? Firstly, he’s an alien and I'm a human – you've made it doubly hard to relate right there. Far from impossible as the greats of science fiction show, but keep in mind whenever you use a non-human character, you need to work that much harder to make them relateable, and thus interesting.

But moreso than simply being an alien, he doesn’t display much in the way of actions or emotions I can relate to. The only thing shown that could potentially be relatable was the obsessive collector aspect of him and that has definite potential. However, it wasn’t revealed until the end, so I couldn't hold onto that during the film.

His goal is not clear. He wants a miniature planet for his collection, yes. But why does he want it? Is he looking for the perfect planet, the Wayne Gretzky rookie card? It hints at that, but it’s not clear to me as a viewer this is the case. It could well be that earth is just the latest planet, and will be set on the shelf when he gets his next one.

Who or what is the antagonist? There is nothing opposing him in his quest at all – it’s just a matter of time until he finishes. I see him frustrated with the first planet, but I don’t see him struggle and fight to overcome an obstacle. Give me an interesting character and make him suffer.

Thanks for putting this in and putting your talents up on display. I think you can definitely set a great mood, and would love to see you tackle a stronger story.

SuperEgo Saxton
07-10-2011, 01:37 AM
This was a breath of fresh air to watch. However i'm afraid I'll repeat what others have said, there was no conflict. Which didn't really make me engage. Overall good job on this charming short!

Matthew B
07-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Firstly, what an ambitious project. I could never have pulled something like this off.

My feeling was that it all moved too slowly and the score was a little noticeable, i found it kept pulling me out of the story. A small criticism, but his footsteps were all exactly the same sound, maybe just add in some different footsteps. I also found it hard to empathize with the character, because we can't see anything to relate to in him. I also couldn't see his motivation for shrinking and destroying planets, the end revealed he was a collector but i think there needed to be an emotional motivation behind the collection... maybe he could have had a son and be using the planets to make a mobile for him, this would have given him a human quality (just a suggestion).

I can't help but respect the enormous amount of work that went into this. Well done.

MrFluffy
07-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys

Your right, it does feel like part of something bigger and it is. In order to tell the whole story I need another 3 scenes and 50 level of a computer game :)
This festival was announced just as I was prepping to start on the intro film for my next computer game. So it seemed like a good idea to do the 2 at once, given that the story was a perfect fit, and it made me focus very hard on getting it done. So thats why it feels like there should be more :) Thats also why I was able to spend so much time on this, I cant see it ever happening again!

taylormade
07-10-2011, 06:50 AM
A fun little film with a very nice visual design. I love this type of CG animation and you really pulled it off with style. I really liked the design of the “control room” with the screens and panels, and the Doctor’s rubber gloves and boots – too cool.
I have to agree that this was a visual rather than an emotional experience. I loved looking at the doctor and his antics, but you couldn’t really get too involved emotionally with the plot. He needed some kind of conflict to make this more than a series of well animated scenes.
I had some problems with the space scenes. The spaceship looked strangely two-dimensional, with very flat lighting and a seeming lack of detail. Very noticeable on the side shots early in the film. This was made more apparent by the star field which seemed to be an extreme blowup from a Hubble photo or something. The stars looked far too big and chunky. The rays also seemed blocky and too solid. I think a glow would have popped them a bit better. Even the planets seemed flat and not very three-dimensional, and the planet blowing up should have been faster and more powerful, with a good dose of motion-blur. Not trying to be a nit-picker, as I know the amount of work involved in this stuff, but in comparison to the terrific stuff inside the ship, I thought the “exteriors” went flat.
Loved when the texture-mapping for the planets spread out on the big screen! Probably why I was surprised they looked so flat in the space scenes.
And a final nit-pick – the last scene. What should have been an epic pull back to reveal the scope of the Doctor’s collecting is ruined by the jerky movement, almost as if you repeated a single element and the perspective kept going off.
This is all technical stuff that I’m sure most viewers couldn’t care less about. Great job, I really liked this one!

MrFluffy
07-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the crit. All valid points. In the end I had to choose between limiting the quality of the shots, or not finishing :) Now the fest is over I can put in some more time on the polish.

What should have been an epic pull back to reveal the scope of the Doctor’s collecting is ruined by the jerky movement, almost as if you repeated a single element and the perspective kept going off.

Ive seen this as well, in Windows Media player, while it played well in adobe and QT. I think that the compression needed to fit the ammount of visual change on the last shot causes some systems to stutter during playback. Try a different player, or even the online version, and see if you get the same effect.

taylormade
07-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I watched with a Quicktime player and even loaded it into my Avid with the same result. Strange.

Dustin R. Rogan
07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
I envy this film having a creation that you 100% came up with yourself...My hat is off to you sir!

One question...how is he a villain? I mean I kinda get it...bad guy has big beamy thing destroy world or hoards them away for god only knows why lol.

Still I cant imagine the amount of sleep you lost making this! Great job

Rogan

Lynchenstein
07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought the interior shots looked really cool - they had a consistent look and I bought it. However, the exterior shots with the flat stars texture jumped out at me. My favourite bit was the blue floor lighting as he entered the darkened control room for the first time. Quite an achievement all in all - I hope to see your stuff in future DVX Fests.

Hawk Teflon
07-11-2011, 07:50 AM
The more I've thought back on this one, the more I've liked it. Not just because there's no way I'll ever be able to do that, but because it was a neat simple premise. It was mentioned before, but the overhead shot was great.
Kudos!

MrFluffy
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I'm chuffed that you all liked it so much.
I cant see me doing another of this scale again, it just takes too much time. So next time it will be people and VFX.

lawriejaffa
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Obviously this is not a film that takes itself too seriously - its fun, amusing and i know from my own CGI work that to produce 3d animation is agonising and time consuming so I really respect the effort put into this film. As a childrens film its quite entertaining and very cute/sweet. There isn't much complexity to the narrative - and it would have benefited from more jokes (and less walking around corridors) but understanding the constraints and conditions, it was probably exhausting enough to do even that!

Every film should be regarded in its own merit and its not appropriate to directly compare this to other films with more adult themes. So for what it is, i placed this in my top 5 in the perspective of children's entertainment, warm hearted cute fun.

Chris Messineo
07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
This was really impressive.

The story has a ton of promise - it's great setup, but there's a missing beat for me at the end. Some conflict or maybe some twist (e.g. Dr. Kvorak tripping and sending all those planets crashing to the floor). I don't know what it is exactly, but I do feel like it needs one more moment.

Also, I think you could tighten up the edit a bit, not a lot, but just give it a tiny bit more pace.

Still, I really did like this a lot. Another one of my fest favorites. I especially liked Dr. Kvorak - I dug his look and his almost business like approach to his collection obsession. I also loved that 50s B-Movie SciFi score.

I think with a small bit of tweaking this could really be awesome!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
07-13-2011, 07:19 PM
This must have taken forever! Nice job.

It was a little slow in parts but I think the pacing could be adjusted in editing.
I liked the look of it but think some good sound design could have pushed this even further. Very nice work though and I really enjoyed the story.
I didn't really see where this was going. Cheers.

Chris Lukeman
07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I liked the score quite a bit too, was a perfect fit to the bright quirky style/palette. I liked his look as well, I guess I was wishing for a little more hinted at emotion (like frustration) that could have differentiated his response to the planets. Although I think would dislike it if he was TOO emotive and cartoony. He just felt a little too clinical for me, but then again he is a doctor haha. These are super nit picky things though, I enjoyed the whole thing.

MrFluffy
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks Lawrie, Chris and Chris.

Your right Lawrie, the story is very simple and aimed at children, and yes Chris there is something missing at the end. The film is an intro to a computer game I'm writing. So I had to miss some out for it to mesh with the festival. The final planet wont be earth, and the heros of the game will leave the planet, get aboard his ship and start unravelling his plans, before finally freeing all the planets.

As far as emotion is concerned I simply ran out of time without enough morph targets for the expressions to really be effective. In isolation they look fine, but when added to the on screen actions they lose their impact. Something for me to work on I think.

Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment. It's much appreciated.

Chris_Keaton
07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Ugh, it died on me when he started to shoot the planet. I don't think I'm going to be able to watch all of these before the fest ends.

Hawk Teflon
07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Which ones are you missing, Chris?

Chris_Keaton
07-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Got them all now thanks to Hawk!

I'm going to try to get some this morning, hopefully traffic is thin.

Hawk Teflon
07-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Am I allowed to send you those files, or is that against company policy?

Chris_Keaton
07-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't think anyone would care.

Chris_Keaton
07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
I liked this one. Dude is collecting planets, how freaky. :) This must've taken an eon to make. The only complaint I have is that the space shots seemed jittery. Good Job!

MattinSTL
07-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I appreciate the work involved to do this entry. I would have liked to see some more story however... anything... even subtitles... or a mind-voice narration of the story behind his motivations. There was a lot to play with in that area... he could held the earth to his ear to hear prayers or something... or some kind of moment of judgment (thinking of a "God" type thing)... I would have enjoyed seeing a motivation behind his actions beyond (what appears) a collection for it's own sake.

I've always thought an animated short would be a great way to stand out from the crowd... and also rise above all the camera and shooting considerations... even though it's still probably as much or more work... and this is a good addition to the fest.

Nemesis TS
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Finally got this one to work for me. Wow what a huge undertaking for the time to do these fests. Kudos for finishing. I really appreciate the amount of work going into this. I don't know much about 3D programs but have done some After Effects stuff and it really takes a lot of time.
However, a great looking animation isn't enough, we still need a story and the animation as good as it is doesn't get there alone. With some dialog I think you could bridge the gap from great animation to great story. That way we could learn more about the character and really gain some insights.

This is one that I was really excited to see and glad I finally got it to play for me. Great work wish I could do cool 3d modeling like that. I'm jealous. This was a fun one to watch.

ashpatel
07-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Haha. That BTS was fun. Love the silent film work. Loved the sound effects in the film too.

Charli
07-18-2011, 07:40 AM
At first I thought, "This is cheesy FX" until we go into the interior then I realized the whole thing was animated. I did not read the thread before I viewed the short, so it came as a complete...

AMAZING surprise. I am a sucker for animation. Sure you didn't have more than one character so he had no one to banter with. Sure it didn't have conflict. Sure it wasn't much of a story.

But I LOVED it. For the simple fact it was so out-of-the-box unexpected! When he smiled that made me laugh. You had me the moment your character walked onto the screen. From there I was hooked.

From a storytelling point of view there wasn't enough meat, but hey, everybody loves popcorn. This is one I am definitely going to share with my friends. Very good job on an "original" concept!

MrFluffy
07-19-2011, 12:50 AM
I liked this one. Dude is collecting planets, how freaky. :) This must've taken an eon to make. The only complaint I have is that the space shots seemed jittery. Good Job!
Thanks Chris. A few people had problems with playback due to the high levels of compression needed on some of the shots, something for me to work on.

MrFluffy
07-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Finally got this one to work for me. Wow what a huge undertaking for the time to do these fests. Kudos for finishing. I really appreciate the amount of work going into this. I don't know much about 3D programs but have done some After Effects stuff and it really takes a lot of time.
However, a great looking animation isn't enough, we still need a story and the animation as good as it is doesn't get there alone. With some dialog I think you could bridge the gap from great animation to great story. That way we could learn more about the character and really gain some insights.

This is one that I was really excited to see and glad I finally got it to play for me. Great work wish I could do cool 3d modeling like that. I'm jealous. This was a fun one to watch.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I considered a voice over, but with such an odd looking character it would have seemed strange having him talk with an English accent :) So I went for silent.

MrFluffy
07-19-2011, 12:53 AM
At first I thought, "This is cheesy FX" until we go into the interior then I realized the whole thing was animated. I did not read the thread before I viewed the short, so it came as a complete...

AMAZING surprise. I am a sucker for animation. Sure you didn't have more than one character so he had no one to banter with. Sure it didn't have conflict. Sure it wasn't much of a story.

But I LOVED it. For the simple fact it was so out-of-the-box unexpected! When he smiled that made me laugh. You had me the moment your character walked onto the screen. From there I was hooked.

From a storytelling point of view there wasn't enough meat, but hey, everybody loves popcorn. This is one I am definitely going to share with my friends. Very good job on an "original" concept!

I'm really happy that you enjoyed it Charli, thank you.

pauly_the_hitman
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I had to download this 5 times before I could watch it. I dug it. Cool character. I wish I could collect planets.

Anthony Todaro
07-21-2011, 09:19 PM
The theremin-esque score felt very Martian. Liked that. The character's design was fitting also. I'm not knowledgeable in the technologies at work here but I'm sure it was a lot of work so congrats on that alone. I do feel like it's really hard to compete with the high level animation these days. I saw a few jumps and some aliased edges which distracted me. I dig the Martian concept and I bet with time this could be nigh perfect.