PDA

View Full Version : Should I still get a 7D?

iMarco
03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I've been wanting to get a 7D for a while. Is it still worth buying one, or is there something new coming out?

One more thing, is there a significant difference in quality between the 7D and 5D?

Thanks.

Kin Lau
03-25-2011, 05:06 PM
There's _always_ something new coming out. The Rebel series is replaced yearly, the 60D will likely be replaced one year after it's intro, the 7D about 2 years. Only the 5D, 1D and 1Ds have longer product cycles.

The 7D has been out since Sep 2009, so it's replacement will likely be announced in Sep 2011.

As for quality, that's too vague. Are you talking image, video, build, performance?

pulpfiction007
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Depends on your needs.....mostly photo, mostly video, a bit of both, etc
The 7D and 5D both have excellent build quality...and the image quality is similar. The 5D offers one thing that the other DLSRs and prosumer camcorders don't - the vista vision(video) size sensor and the very shallow dof that goes with it. Also the lowlight ability of the 5D is better than the APS C Canons- 7D, 60D, T3i, T2i.
If I were buying a Canon DLSR for mainly video today, I'd probably go with the T3i or 60d...and if I didn't mind hacking my camera...a T2i. (The ML hack has added a ton of features to the T2i)
The 60d, t3i, and t2i will give you essentially the same image quality as the 7D (photo or video) for a lot less money. The 60d and t3i also have articulating screens which are great, esp because these cameras vfs are disabled during video.
If you really want that ultra wide fov and razor thin dof very easily ...the 5D is a dream come true (for a lot of people). IMO though the price is too much for those things compared to what the others offer.(in video) For photography though....I would love the 5D, for it's DR, high ISO, great optical VF, build quality and extra wide angles. For action/wildlife/ photography the 7D would be great fot it's weather sealing, speed, excellent AF system,build quality and extra reach (comp. to 5D)

iMarco
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah I should have been more specific with my needs. I wanted to use it mainly for video, but also use it for photography every now and then. Why are the 60D and t3i cheaper than the 7D? What's the difference? The 5D sounds interesting, but how significant is the difference in video quality between the 5D and 7D?

I'd use it for work which is music videos, and sometimes ads. Short movies are also something I'd do for fun. More suggestions are appreciated :)

maranfilms
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I would go with the t3i, It's cheaper, has a zoom mode, swivel screen, manuel audio. Pretty much the same thing as the 60d, except a bit smaller, has only one processor, and does not have kelvin temps. I just got one a few weeks back, and it kicks butt. I was going to go with the gh2, but couldn't get one anywhere. I needed to shoot, so I went with this.

ROCKMORE
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I've been wanting to get a 7D for a while. Is it still worth buying one, or is there something new coming out?

One more thing, is there a significant difference in quality between the 7D and 5D?

Thanks.

The 7D while a great camera, now has limitations even compared to the lower end T3 and 60D. When I used a 7D it overheated often. They're all good cameras, you just have to decide what suits your needs. The 5D mk3 may be the turning point, but we don't know yet. If it's turns out to be the same sensor and processor with a face lift, I'll pass on it and get an Mk2 when the bottom falls out of the price.

iMarco
03-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Interesting. I'm looking into the t3i. Does it shoot the same frame rates as the 7D?

lyrov
03-26-2011, 04:48 AM
Interesting. I'm looking into the t3i. Does it shoot the same frame rates as the 7D?
Yes, same frame rates, 7D is doing 8 fps continuous shooting in stills mode though while t3i is doing 3.7 fps, but if your main purpose is video you shouldnt bother...

Samuel H
03-26-2011, 05:48 AM
5D has bigger and better sensor (best image quality among the canons), but lacks 720p60 and 720p50

the 7D, 60D, 600D and 550D share the same sensor and processor, so they have the same image quality; they also record in the same resolutions and frame rates

the 5D and the 550D have magic lantern, which adds a ton of amazing features; the 60d and 600d may get that treatment in the next couple of months

7D has magnessioum alloy body with weather sealing, better autofocus and frame rate for stills, better ergonomics (big body, aperture wheel), and full-res HDMI-out while recording; but lacks swivel screen and manual audio, and can't be hacked

60D has good ergonomics (medium body, aperture wheel, swivel screen) and manual audio; may be hacked in the next couple of months

600D is essentially the same as the 60D, but with a small body and without the aperture wheel, and with a digital zoom mode instead

550D is the most basic model: small body, no swivel screen, no manual audio, no aperture wheel; but it delivers the same images as the 7D, 60D and 600D, and has magic lantern, which is a huge plus

iMarco
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Yeah I might get a t3i. There are a couple of things better on the 7D, but not very significant when it comes to video quality. I'd like to watch a couple of documentaries and shorts shot with one though. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but most of the videos I find on the internet shot with a t3i, don't look as good at the 7D. Again, it could be my imagination.

pulpfiction007
03-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah I might get a t3i. There are a couple of things better on the 7D, but not very significant when it comes to video quality. I'd like to watch a couple of documentaries and shorts shot with one though. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but most of the videos I find on the internet shot with a t3i, don't look as good at the 7D. Again, it could be my imagination.

The T3i is fairly new...so there is bound to be fewer outstanding videos than the 7D...which has been out for quite a while. Check out Phillip Blooms footage with the T2i...just for a reference. It looks just as good as the 7D stuff he's done. The one thing you lose with the T3i that you get with a 60D and 7d that may affect IQ for certain scenes is the ability to select in between ISOs.

iMarco
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
The T3i is fairly new...so there is bound to be fewer outstanding videos than the 7D...which has been out for quite a while. Check out Phillip Blooms footage with the T2i...just for a reference. It looks just as good as the 7D stuff he's done. The one thing you lose with the T3i that you get with a 60D and 7d that may affect IQ for certain scenes is the ability to select in between ISOs.

You mean changing ISO settings in the middle of recording a video? (Sorry I've never used DSLR's)

reem12
03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I say get the 7d and start working now. I use both and like both for various applications in which they both go hand and hand. I am shooting a feature on both and must say I've recently seen other feature work coming out from this forum using the 7d, that has blown me away. The main limitations of any of these slrs will be the end user, not the cam itself.

pulpfiction007
03-29-2011, 06:39 PM
You mean changing ISO settings in the middle of recording a video? (Sorry I've never used DSLR's)

No...I mean the 60D and 7d can be dialed in at increments: 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1280, 1600 etc.
The T2i (without a hack) and T3i only go in full stops 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc.
So for certain low light situations the 60D and 7D can be dialed in more specifically to add brightness without the noise of a full stop...for example if your picture is too dark on a t2i @800 and your aperture is already wide open at lets say 1.8.....you may have to go to the next step up which is 1600..which may bring on the noise. With a 7D or 60D you can dial in 1280 instead which should be cleaner.

ROCKMORE
03-30-2011, 04:50 AM
The T2i (without a hack) and T3i only go in full stops 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, etc.

Third stops was a very basic, useful and welcome feature when I upgraded to a 60D, in addition to the limited aperture controls on the T2 / T3, the wheel on the back was also a great upgrade. Could never go back to full stops and push buttons to get the same result as easy. Good point.

TeresofBlood
03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Having used both a T2i and a 7D, I can say the UI is much more intuitive on the 7D, in terms of button locations. I always had to stop and think about how to change certain settings that are second nature on a 7D. For me, living and working in New England, the weather sealing is important. Shooting in New England might as well be shooting in Canada, so I also never have overheating problems with my 7D. For EVF purposes, the high-rez output of the HDMI port on the 7D is clutch.

If you're low on funds and you need a camera to 'get 'er done', so to speak, the T2i or T3i can do it. Me, I'll probably grab the 7DM2 when it comes out and keep my 7D as a b-cam. The other thing I'm starting to realize is that seriously indie filmmakers should consider having a 5D as a b-cam. The reason I say b-cam is because the 7D has the appropriate-sized sensor for cinema, but when you're shooting a tight location, the extra room around the edges of frame can be the difference between getting the shot and getting f**ked.

nothing
04-03-2011, 12:07 PM
...consider having a 5D as a b-cam. The reason I say b-cam is because the 7D has the appropriate-sized sensor for cinema, but when you're shooting a tight location, the extra room around the edges of frame can be the difference between getting the shot and getting f**ked.

Or you could just get a wider EF-S lens for your crop-sensored camera.

pulpfiction007
04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Exactly...a 10-22, 12-24, etc. will be spectacularly wide in video/film aspect ratios. No need to buy a 5D for that, unless you want ludicrous wide!

Scott F
04-03-2011, 12:55 PM
The 5D offers one thing that the other DLSRs and prosumer camcorders don't - the vista vision(video) size sensor and the very shallow dof that goes with it. Also the lowlight ability of the 5D is better than the APS C Canons- 7D, 60D, T3i, T2i.

co-signed. I recently did a shoot where we used both the 5D and t2i..the 5D footage trumped the t2i. And that was using the same lenses on both cameras. The 5D footage just looked mo' better.

Now I want to upgrade. :Drogar-Dolar(DBG):

TeresofBlood
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Exactly...a 10-22, 12-24, etc. will be spectacularly wide in video/film aspect ratios. No need to buy a 5D for that, unless you want ludicrous wide!

The point I was making is that the 5D will take your existing (full frame) lenses - your existing *perspective* and simply give you more frame around the edges. Of course, it depends on your uses, but you don't want to use a 10-15 mm lens on a narrative flick unless you're going for some kind of special effect.

maarek
04-08-2011, 03:51 AM
The point I was making is that the 5D will take your existing (full frame) lenses - your existing *perspective* and simply give you more frame around the edges.

The op does not have any existing lenses. The perspective maybe the same but the FOV is so different that you can't use for example the 85mm on the 7d in the same role as on the 5d.

vision_filmz
04-08-2011, 04:17 AM
No...I mean the 60D and 7d can be dialed in at increments: 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400, 500, 640, 800, 1000, 1280, 1600 etc.
So for certain low light situations the 60D and 7D can be dialed in more specifically to add brightness without the noise of a full stop...for example if your picture is too dark on a t2i @800 and your aperture is already wide open at lets say 1.8.....you may have to go to the next step up which is 1600..which may bring on the noise. With a 7D or 60D you can dial in 1280 instead which should be cleaner.

You mean 1250, not 1280 :). The worst thing about the t2i/t3i is jumping from 800 to 1600, where as you can do 1000, and 1250 on the 60d , 7d, 5d etc.

Also I must say that the best wheel on top to switch between modes is the Canon 60d. You have your actual film camera icon + a button that locks which prevents you from moving it. This is the only Canon dslr that has this awesome function!

ROCKMORE
06-23-2011, 03:57 AM
The worst thing about the t2i/t3i is jumping from 800 to 1600 .

I find myself shooting at 1000 to 1250 often and it's great to have the option.

M. Gilden
06-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I find myself shooting at 1000 to 1250 often and it's great to have the option.

Indeed. Its one of the many reasons I don't recommend the T2i to people who aren't willing to install Magic Lantern. If you are, its a fantastic option and on the cheap now.

ROCKMORE
06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
I'd go for the 60D. Only a little more than the T3 and is quite a better built camera.