PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice on DVX purchase...

Curtis Fry
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
I am in the process of upgrading the camcorder for my Fly fishing and Fly tying DVD business.

Here's my quandry: I have the $$ for the DVX100, but in my filming, I would really like to have two cameras to show up-close shots to go along with shots panned back at the same time (from different angles etc). Now in the past, I've done fly tying segments (showing a fly/lure being constructed) with two different tapings -- one from full body (with full audio) and one close-up on the fly itself (no audio). Then in editing I make them appear as two separate camera angles to match the main audio track. That way, I need only one camera.

In addition to the fly tying segments, we'll also do a fair amount of filming outside on the river or the lake.

I just wasn't sure if 24p is suited or common for this type of filming.

So, the question is, do I benefit that much from the 24p and therefore forego the 2nd camera? Or do I go with the DVC30 and buy two of them to meet the double-camera desire? I like what I see and hear about the DVX100 and just want to make sure I'm getting the right camera for the right job.

Aaaahhh...I just can't decide.

PS: Also, can the DVX100 take decent enough footage of something as small as the size of a pencil eraser?

TIA!

CF

Jim Brennan
04-04-2005, 06:31 AM
The resolution on the DVX should be good enough for the close-ups you mention.

As far as whether you should go with 1 DVX or 2 DVC30s, that depends. If you want the film look, the DVX is the way to go because you can shoot in 24P. For your casting sequences, you can shoot in 30P, which will still give you a film look, but give you a smoother shot if you want to slow it down a little in post.

Shooting in 60i will give you a much smoother look (No strobing) but that image is what we have all come to judge as "video". Although the DVX is a great choice in many ways, (and is superior to the DVC30 in audio, features and resolution (I believe)), the primary reason I bought mine was the 24P capabilites. If that's not an interest, you might be better off with the convenience of 2 cameras.

If you can, I would suggest renting both cameras for a day. SHoot a bunch of footage, covering the gist of what you normally shoot. View it and see what you think.

Curtis Fry
04-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the response. I think I'm leaning more towards the DVX.

I guess my only question is whether or not 24p would be goofy looking for fly tying and/or outdoor type filming. I personally like the look of 24p, but as I look at shows on TV (ESPN, FoodNetwork, Outdoor Channel etc), I don't see much 24p. Or maybe I am seeing it but don't know it.

Bottom line, I don't want to film in something that turns people off. But one thought is that filming in 24p might actually be a selling point because of its "professional" look.

Who knows....

Jim Brennan
04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Well look at it this way. Would it turn people off if it was shot on film? Because that's pretty much how it's gonna look. I think people respond differently to film. They assume it costs more and is more professional. I doubt it will work against you from that angle.

And don't forget, there's really nothing the dvc-30 can do that the dvx can't.

galt
04-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Have you tried shooting and cutting a segment using only one camera? It sounds like you really want a DVX, but think that two cameras buys you a lot. It may be easier than you think to do a nice job with one camera and extra shooting. Two cams has its own drawbacks, in terms of getting equipment in and out along with an extra person to use it. What if you want to bring an underwater housing too? Pretty soon, you will need a safari. And of course renting a DVX and renting two DVC30's and trying both is the definitive answer.

You could also get a completely different camera type for second cam (small one-chipper) , and do a "fish-eye" cam or some other silly/fun gimmick without worrying about matching footage. If you were doing hunting, I would suggest a dog-eye cam, so maybe a cat-eye cam would be funny. Do cats go fishing? Tackle-box cam? Wader-cam? Fly-eye cam? I am gonna quit before they delete this post along with all the other ones...

Curtis Fry
04-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Good points! In thinking about it, I think I'd rather take the exta 3 minutes and shoot a segment again from another angle rather than not have 24p at all. As galt points out, the 2nd cam might just end up being more trouble than it's worth. Then down the road, maybe I get a 2nd DVX if needed. Thanks guys!